Any 'Tech people' here...

GKP

Does any one technically competent know whether R* will be able to improve upon GTA4 graphically while also improving the framerate ?

GTA4 was rather laggy / the blur effect also was disappointed. I would hope that R* know the inner workings of the consoles that bit more now to eek out some more performance. RDR had its framerate problems I have heard so not too encouraging.

Flitskikker

Maybe they're fixing it up now, hence we have to wait so lang.

When i see what they achieved with RDR, i can assume that GTA5 will be really really pretty. RDR had a VERY FEW framerate drops and only on VERY FEW areas, while being WAAAAAY better looking than IV

Given when they began their development of GTA:IV, I'm guessing that it was Rockstar's first stab at such a demanding game designed to run on multi-processing-unit platforms; a first generation if you will. I suspect that they had problems getting it to fit on even the console platforms and so the year's delay wasn't just about the difficulties they reportedly experienced with the PS3, but also because I think they may have had difficulties tuning it and cutting it down to fit on those platforms.

I also suspect that the performance problems we see in the PC version are not just the result of a poor port, but compounded by the basic underlying design of the overall architecture of the game. The way it seems to fails to take full advantage of any more than three processing units worth of processing power yet seems to spread the load of it's 55 or so threads across all the available processing units is an indication of the way it seems to have been tuned. (My theory is that there's a critical path in the game loop formed by the dependencies between various sections of code across the 50-odd threads which results in it only being able to run the game loop at a limited number of times per second and yet at the same time spread the load across all the available cores - and it does seem to be too much of a coincidence that this seems to correspond to three cores-worth of power.) I think this fundamental architecture is the reason we have only seen limited attempts to resolve the performance problems on the PC platform in the patches they issued.

I would hope that some, hopefully most, of these problems will have been addressed and we are starting to see the results of their second generation multi-processing-unit capable game engine when we look at releases such as RDR. But equally, RDR could simply be much less demanding with fewer buildings, more open space, fewer vehicles and fewer people. I would like to see RDR on the PC; it would be interesting to see how well it performs compared to GTA:IV when it is run on a system with more than three processing units. But I'm not holding my breath for that one.

I recognise that what I've written here is pretty much mostly speculation, but this is my impression of what we are seeing. It would be interesting to hear from those that may know more.

Edited by meson1

RDR is an rather empty desert with not much going in, a cactus here and there, maybe a horse once in a while. What happens once you hit a town? Yep, substantial framerate drops.

GTAIV in comparison has a lot of sh*t going on most of the time, especially in the PC version. Debris, cars, peds, weather... not really the same league.

YankeesPwnMets

GTAIV is based off of modern day New York City, and being a New Yorker, most places usually have building all around with people which can take up a lot of FPS. A desert with a cactus doesn't take much work to render. A game in a desert will perform much better then a game set in a densely populated area.

Actually the framerate drops in RDR don't occur in towns, but mostly in places with a lot of vegetation like the forest of Tall Trees where there are a lot of grass on the floor and a lot of trees (you guessed it). You can assume that rendering a lot of opacity textures (that's what leaves and grass are) is more demanding than buildings (that are mostly flat, so not that much polygons compared to a mountain, a cliff or even a few cactuses).

And if you look at the two games closely, you will notice that what makes the biggest diference ain't the models, but the textures, that are a lot better in RDR, especially the normal maps that are WAY better, and that's just human capacities involved, no technical stuff here.

My guess is that Rockstar's experience on the engine PLUS improvements on the engine itself PLUS improvements on the technical and art direction will result on a really good looking game, probably even better that RDR.