My first tournament attempt

icfriend

What do you mean? I set up the tourney, am the one announcing, and did the post-production of the video. happy.gif

How do you think it looks? Anything you think should change for the next one?

Long Haired Freaky Guy
What do you mean? I set up the tourney, am the one announcing, and did the post-production of the video. happy.gif

How do you think it looks? Anything you think should change for the next one?

I don't know like, it just seems abit too professional for you to be coming on a forum about GTA and asking what we think of it.

I spent a lot of time working on putting the tournament together and making the video. It's nice to hear it looks professional. But is it watchable? I want to try more tournaments in the future so I'm hoping to improve from what i did on this one. Definitely want to do Red Dead Redemption and GTA4.

Anyone else have any observations about it? Is it a watchable show, or is it LAME?

Its good, the whole idea of a tournament for COD is quite unique, ive never seen one done like that! Reminds me of Karate kid lol.

Shame the players are boring to watch though confused.gif

Surely if you can make videos of that quality you would have a youtube page or something similar?

SIG-2.jpg

Yeah, that is a good idea. If every player was given more of a bio and an interview. Maybe even intro music when they come out.

I don't have a YouTube channel anymore. I never got very many views and as much effort as I was putting into my videos I couldn't justify it really.

Its good, the whole idea of a tournament for COD is quite unique, ive never seen one done like that!

You're kidding, right?

I set it up so everyone could vote on which game to play before the tourney. Call of Duty is always in the top ten games played on xbox live according to Major Nelson. I guess I wasn't too suprised that's what they wanted. It would be great to do something other than a shooter since you have to watch the screen like this video.

Long Haired Freaky Guy
Its good, the whole idea of a tournament for COD is quite unique, ive never seen one done like that!

You're kidding, right?

I was actually hoping he was being very sarcastic.

As stated though, if you do do future tournaments, add more depth to them, rather then just having them sat in front of the screen playing the game. Show us their Gamercard with all their stats on it, the set-up they are using on the game and whatever else. At the end of the day, it's the player controlling the action, so they should be the center of the attention.

And yeah, do different genres of games aswell. Arcade Racing games would be good. I say Arcade because they usually have more fun involved.

You should commentate Starcraft II tournaments or games. There is a plethora of replays added daily. Check out Husky or HD and see how they do it. I think its a great idea.

www.YouTube.com/huskystarcraft

www.YouTube.com/hdstarcraft

icon14.gif

9zkgc.png

You're kidding, right?

Of course! maybe the sarcasm wasnt strongly emphasised enough lol

Ive seen Xcal and Blametruth, FPS kyle and socrates take part in things like this!

Not to mention the countless Gamebattles videos that went around during the games hayday

SIG-2.jpg

Long Haired Freaky Guy
What is going on 1:38 into the video. Anybody understand this?

Don't get what ya mean?

And just another thing I've just noticed, if you are going to commentate on a game then you should know what you are on about. May sound petty, but calling a Predator Missile an Airstrike may annoy a few hardcore fans.

but calling a Predator Missile an Airstrike may annoy a few hardcore fans.

sh*t, I don't even like the game but it annoyed me. For that matter, why did I even watch it?

Also, is it me or is spawnkilling applauded in this vid? That's one of the worst crimes in online gaming (aside from hacking or being an 8 year old).

Edited by d0mm2k8

What is happening at 1:38 that doesn't make sense?

I guess detail matters above most. Here i thought just generally saying airstrike would have been fine.

SwitchBladeJones

At about 1:38 in they choose their maps. How did you determine how to set that up.

The video looks AMAZING btw. I can't stop watching it. More video of the girl, that's my suggestion!!! colgate.gif

At about 1:38 in they choose their maps. How did you determine how to set that up.

The video looks AMAZING btw. I can't stop watching it. More video of the girl, that's my suggestion!!!  colgate.gif

How I had them choose maps was whoever had a higher rank in the tournament bracket got to choose their map first. Then they would choose back and forth. It was a best of three matchup, so if it went to game three, the player with the higher rank would get to choose their map twice.

Long Haired Freaky Guy
I guess detail matters above most. Here i thought just generally saying airstrike would have been fine.

Well yeah, if you're going to commentate on a game, then most people would appreciate you calling stuff by their proper names. You're aiming these videos at fans of the game, so details like that are important.

And to make things interesting, you should make it so that the 3rd map should be chosen by the player with the least kills, thus giving that player a chance to come back into the game.

Thanks Freaky Guy.

Usually tourneys award the most successful teams by giving them a homefield advantage. I wonder how something like MLG does it.

Long Haired Freaky Guy
Thanks Freaky Guy.

Usually tourneys award the most successful teams by giving them a homefield advantage. I wonder how something like MLG does it.

Yeah, Usually, so be different. I just see that it adds abit of fairness if you let the losing guy/team have the option to pick the map, as players tend to pick the map they know the best of, such as all the advantage spots, so it would give him a chance to get back into it. I prefer a close tournament rather then one person just owning the other person.

SwitchBladeJones

I get it now. Using what major league sports use makes sense I think. A thing I would try is making the rounds shorter. That way it feels even faster paced.

I found the direct link to the video. Why not use this?

http://blip.tv/file/4825719

Thanks Switchblade, the site I originally posted it on was from the TV station that is broadcasting it.

I was thinking about making things shorter and add more commentary inbetween. Originally another person was going to help do color commentary instead of just me talking. Anyone want to record something like that?

Long Haired Freaky Guy
Thanks Switchblade, the site I originally posted it on was from the TV station that is broadcasting it.

I was thinking about making things shorter and add more commentary inbetween. Originally another person was going to help do color commentary instead of just me talking. Anyone want to record something like that?

Adding another commentator to the video would make a huge difference, and probably lighten the mood up. It adds abit of banter, and also two opinions to all the action going on.