How can I add "Free space" back? (Partitioning)

james227uk

Hi,

Ages ago when I dual-booted Windows with Ubuntu, I partitioned 10GB of space for Ubuntu. Since then, I have reinstalled Windows 7. I now want that space back. To create the 10GB partition, I used the Windows "Disk Management" tool.

I deleted the Ubuntu partition, creating this:

http://gyazo.com/fe9854bf84ccfd269420cca4d5a1dd28.png

My question is, how do I add this "Free Space" back to the D partition (Where it came from)? Do I right click the free space and delete it, rendering it re-addable? Since I cannot use the extend option on the D partition.

EDIT: Removed page-stretch

Thanks. Did try that, but I get the error

user posted image

Get that if I try to create a simple volume out of it too. Did a google search and found nothing of value

I'm really clueless now

Whoops, sorry. Forgot to mention that that error appears when I try to delete the partition

You can use gparted to delete as well as resize partitions. Boot from the ubuntu disk and start the live mode. You'll find gparted in the menubar, or enter 'gparted' in the terminal. If it isn't available, you can install it with "sudo apt-get install gparted". gparted works well and is a wonderful tool. However there are risks involved; so read the documentation and backup your data before touching a partition.

kaptainkoolkat

So you right click then go to delete partition?? Have you tried shrinking it??

edit: that other partition 478mb have you tried deleting that?

Edited by kaptainkoolkat

You can use gparted to delete as well as resize partitions. Boot from the ubuntu disk and start the live mode. You'll find gparted in the menubar, or enter 'gparted' in the terminal. If it isn't available, you can install it with "sudo apt-get install gparted". gparted works well and is a wonderful tool. However there are risks involved; so read the documentation and backup your data before touching a partition.

Thanks. I'll try that in a while

@kaptain

Yes, I go to delete partition but that error pops up. I can't shrink it since the option isn't there.

And I dare touch that 478MB partition since I have no idea what it is

EDIT: Since that 478MB partition isn't created by Windows; and isn't my recovery partition, it should be safe to delete right?

Edited by james227uk

EDIT: Since that 478MB partition isn't created by Windows; and isn't my recovery partition, it should be safe to delete right?

Its probably a remnant linux partition and gparted will tell you what type of filesystem it uses. If it says ext3 or ext4, it should be safe to delete it since you've done away with ubuntu.

The filesystem of that 478MB partition is LINUX-SWAP according to GParted. Safe to delete, yes?

Yeah, go ahead. Swap space contains no long-term storage, it is only used to swap data in and out of the RAM when its full.

Thanks guys. By deleting the LINUX-SWAP Partition, I was able to delete that free space and add it back to the D partition

Much thanks to all of you