Terrible lagging and game performance

Mr. Kingpin

I recently got one of the best video cards of it's kind. ATI Radeon 4890 DDR5 1GB Video Card. If this can't run GTA IV in high graphics, I don't know what can...

So with a lot of hope, I installed GTA IV. I turned the resolution to max and all the other settings to high. The game started lagging like a bitch...Then I even changed it back to medium and even tried low...Nothing really changes. Any way to really meet the expectations of what the video card is actually worth? Help me fix this gay ass bullsh*t game performance...I'm tired of it. This game was one of the biggest reason I decided to buy that video card.

YankeesPwnMets

The 4xxx series is two generations old kid. You should have got at least a Radeon 5850, the would have ran it at high. Anyways, what is the processor your using? The graphics card is only half the game in GTA IV. Even if you own a good video card, it is useless with a weak ass CPU

The 4xxx series is two generations old kid. You should have got at least a Radeon 5850, the would have ran it at high. Anyways, what is the processor your using? The graphics card is only half the game in GTA IV. Even if you own a good video card, it is useless with a weak ass CPU

Haha so? I bought it off my cousin and he had this one in his computer until he bought a new one. He said and I have "seen" him playing GTA IV in max graphics possible with no lag at all. and what kid?

Anyway, I'm using Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz. I have 2 GB ram. My cousin warned me that the video card is more than enough for this game to be played in max graphics with no lag. He also said that if there's any lag, it should be because of the processor and ram. But yeahh....kid.

No, this card is not more then enough to play the game maxed out in any resolution. Especially not combined with a 2,66GHz C2D and 2GB RAM.

No, this card is not more then enough to play the game maxed out in any resolution. Especially not combined with a 2,66GHz C2D and 2GB RAM.

Exactly..I meant if the computer had a better processor and ram.

It doesn't matter, you shouldn't be able to max the game on that card.

a) 1 GB VRAM is not enough for maxing out the game

b) 4890 just can't do it, it's like 10-15% faster then my 4870 and it can't even dream about running max settings

b) 4890 just can't do it, it's like 10-15% faster then my 4870 and it can't even dream about running max settings

No I am not speaking without a source. I have seen my cousin doing it in max. Don't try to convince me that thing. And before this one, my cousin had a 512MB Video CArd which I believe was XFX 9800 GTX and GTA IV ran fine on max graphics...

No I am not speaking without a source. I have seen my cousin doing it in max. Don't try to convince me that thing. And before this one, my cousin had a 512MB Video CArd which I believe was XFX 9800 GTX and GTA IV ran fine on max graphics...

In that case, you should consider asking your cousin for help. Your PC is just not capable of maxing out the game. It's upto you whether you want to accept this fact or not. We really can't help you here.

In that case, you should consider asking your cousin for help. Your PC is just not capable of maxing out the game. It's upto you whether you want to accept this fact or not. We really can't help you here.

No sh*t bro...just sharing the information.

It depends what you mean by "max".

You could probably run on high textures, but no chance of setting all the sliders to maximum.

One other thing, if your cousin was playing prior to patch 6, this introduced more "advanced" shadows that were more demanding. I used to be able to run with everything on maximum (i7 and a 2GB GTX285), but couldn't any more after patch 6 came out.

In any event, 1GB VRAM is not enough to achieve the maximum - I wasn't before, and it still isn't now. You'd need around 1.5GB, depending on what resolution you play at. And that doesn't gaurantee it would be at a playable FPS - you'd almost certainly need a better processor and more system RAM.

YankeesPwnMets

THIS IS MAXED SETTINGS. Patch 1.0.7.0, new shadow system and a GTX 580, which has 1536 MB of VRAM

user posted image

Max settings on the newest patch requires 1274 MB of Video RAM. Photo proof right here. You think that you can run max with 1024 MB? Your over well 200 MB short.

@Mkay82, shut the f*ck up and get off this topic. I saw it with my own eyes. Blame my eyes for seeing something wrong then, not me.

@Jimbatron, Ye I understand. O well, I guess I'll just have to wait to get some money stacked up so I can buy a better PC. I'm waiting for 8 Core to come though.

@topog_z, Alright haha.

@YankeesPwnMets, Okay bro, I understand. By tha way, nice biggrin.gif.

Don't put a reply like Mkay82. He's a dumbass.

This game can not run maxed out on 1GB VRAM. Resorting to petty little insults tells us about what kind of person you are, but it doesn't change facts.