Another Ghetto GTA?

GTAaddict96

By the end of GTA4 I was getting really bored of the whole Russian Mafia/Italians based missions. I think if they back to a gangsta GTA then it would open up more mission variety.

Long Haired Freaky Guy

Yes, I know they went for realism in IV, but for me, the main thing missing was seeing gangs trawling the streets, which has been a prominent feature in every GTA game before IV. Bringing a 'hood' themed GTA out would alter this IMO, as it would be weird driving around and not seeing gang members hanging out on street corners.

Official General

@ GTAaddict96

I always prefer a nice and varied mix of different crriminal groups in GTA. I like to see both criminal organizations and street gangs feature within game and having all kinds of dealings with each other and the protagonist himself. I think GTA IV managed to achieve this in its storyline quite well. However, I did feel that the parts Elizabeta, Playboy X and Dwayne Forge could have been expanded on a bit more. I wanted to see more hood action from the African-American and Hispanic gangs in the original GTA IV. But overall, I was satisfied with the way Rockstar included a mix of different criminal groups in the main storyline.

I enjoyed playing out the Italian Mafia storylines in GTA IV for most part, but I did get a little bored of those repetitive abandonded wasteland/warehouse missions that always ended in big shoot-outs.

@ Long Haired Freaky Guy

I'm a bit surprised at what you have stated in your last comment. You certainly DO see hood-style 'gangstas' trawling streets in GTA IV and the Episodes. The only difference about them in GTA IV compared to previous GTAs is that they are visually much less obvious to the eye and their weapons are normally concealed, making them much harder to spot or distinguish amongst the general crowds of pedestrians. But if you provoke any kind of trouble with anyone of them, they will pull guns out and shoot at you.

If anything the way Rockstar did this in GTA IV is more realistic. Street gangs may look the part and sometimes stand out amongst the crowds, but in reality they normally live in areas where most people in the streets look and dress in a similar fashion to each other. Also in real-life, street gang members generally do not walk around openly brandishing their guns and weapons - they normally have them concealed and are only pulled out, ready to use when required.

Go to the Firefly Projects, North Holland (Broker), Northwood and Acter, in Alderney - you will see very commonly see Black/African-American street gang members walking around in these hoods. Those hoods are just teaming with them. In South Bohan, Cerveza Heights and East Holland, hordes of Spanish Lords gang members are seen walking and gathering around on the streets. In Northwood, South Bohan, Schottler and Beechwood City (Broker), Northwood Dominican Drug gangs are seen in the streets (only in TBOGT though). There are Jamaican street gangs very commonly seen in Beechwood City, Schottler (Broker) and Willis in Dukes.

You just need to look carefully and experiment a bit too find them, if you cannot spot them right away. PM me if you need help. There is also a thread in the GTA IV section of this site that gives you a guide on how to spot all the gangs in Liberty City and Alderney.

Edited by Official General

SirPsychoSexy

Yeah I would like that too. At the first look of TBoGT I thought it'd be 50/50 glitz/gangsta, but it turns out there was only a few gangsta missions with Armando and Henrique, and most of those were basically not very gangsta either since they were exaggerated with NOOSE tanks and chopters.

I'd like something like small gang with great ambitions takes water over its head by challenging the big boys and while it seems to work at first it adventually falls apart.

It would be awesome, if ya play in coming GTA "5" As Brian Johnson (the death brother of CJ) around 5 years before... like 3 months before CJ lefts, you do missions with CJ together (not FOR CJ) and taking over the ballas hood's. I thougt about such possible story and last mission (same day when CJ leaves) would be a big gang war in one place (for example factory), a deal between Grove St. and Ballas (dunno wut deal, but a kind of "peacefull" deal between enemies), but Grove St. get's ambushed by Ballas and the fight begins: Almost every Ballas member against you, CJ, Sweet and some other homies. Fighting trough the whole factory, or wutever secret deal-place, you must fight for you'r way outta the ballas hell and kill every balla you see. CJ gets some kind of scared and thinks he won't survive it, and leaves with a car fast to safe place (airport) like a busta (while driving away, he hit's some ballas on way with car tounge.gif ), as in GTASA mentioned, he was a busta, so it would fit biggrin.gif (no offence to CJ xD).

Yea wouldn't it be nice idea for GTA "5" or better: GTA Los Santos Stories (San Andreas Stories maybe too)... would fit better to a game, based on GTASA, like GTAVC and VCS and GTA3 and LCS, but this one 5 years (and 3 months) before... ok im confused wut i wrote inhere xD but isn't this a nice idea? Especially the last mission... biggrin.gif I would have more ideas lol but this was a spontanously idea

In all Honesty i have never liked the Street gang concept of these youths running around in baggy jeans and dealing drugs on the street corner who contribute with mindless violence. However recently i have come to acknowledge that, that isn't totally the case.

I mean the stereotype with street gangs is that dumb African-American or Hispanic male runs around with drugs in his pocket a glock. This is actually not true after doing some research and watching documentaries on certain street gangs alot of them have become alot more clever than before. They now know how to set up structures and groups with strict heirachy and also have learnt how to launder money by buying strip joints using them as fronts. Sure they arn't at the Mafia's level yet or similar groups however they still control alot of the drugs distribution in places like Chicago and detroit.

So all in all if they were to base a Hood game in a GTA, i woudn't mind playing as one of these thugs because with their sort of hood culture also comes alot of violence (more than you see these days in the Italian mafia and things like that) which gives you a sort of satisfieng and realistic feel that regular shootouts is quite normal in the hood life. Not like in IV when you take out more than 20 mafia goons at once which in the Mob's case would never happen, not in this day and age anyway.

Actualy in some areas there were gangs. Like in Hove Beach if you shot one of the Russians, loads of others would pulls out AKs and Shotties and try and take you down. Similarly in Chinatown, Algonquin. It's great to have Dwaynes backup to support you tounge.gif

Try it out for yourself!

I did enjoy San Andreas' ganster style. But I'm hoping for a Vice City remake first (which I think is more likely)and it did have lots of gangs like the mexican drug cartels etc.

In all Honesty i have never liked the Street gang concept of these youths running around in baggy jeans and dealing drugs on the street corner who contribute with mindless violence. However recently i have come to acknowledge that, that isn't totally the case.

I mean the stereotype with street gangs is that dumb African-American or Hispanic male runs around with drugs in his pocket a glock. This is actually not true after doing some research and watching documentaries on certain street gangs alot of them have become alot more clever than before. They now know how to set up structures and groups with strict heirachy and also have learnt how to launder money by buying strip joints using them as fronts. Sure they arn't at the Mafia's level yet or similar groups however they still control alot of the drugs distribution in places like Chicago and detroit.

So all in all if they were to base a Hood game in a GTA, i woudn't mind playing as one of these thugs because with their sort of hood culture also comes alot of violence (more than you see these days in the Italian mafia and things like that) which gives you a sort of satisfieng and realistic feel that regular shootouts is quite normal in the hood life. Not like in IV when you take out more than 20 mafia goons at once which in the Mob's case would never happen, not in this day and age anyway.

American gangster and Gangland on history channel are 2 shows that can expand your knowledge on, not just african american, but various latino, asian, and white american,(racist, white supremacist,not italian,irish, or eastern european organized crime.) criminal groups that have a mafia like structure and modus operandi, albeit in fewer areas of crime than the italian mob, for instance, in areas such as drugs, sometimes robbery, sometimes extortion, etc.(black mafia family, latin kings, trinitarios, ghost shadows, aryan circle, are just a few examples.)

Finn 7 five 11

@ Long Haired Freaky Guy

I'm a bit surprised at what you have stated in your last comment. You certainly DO see hood-style 'gangstas' trawling streets in GTA IV and the Episodes. The only difference about them in GTA IV compared to previous GTAs is that they are visually much less obvious to the eye and their weapons are normally concealed, making them much harder to spot or distinguish amongst the general crowds of pedestrians. But if you provoke any kind of trouble with anyone of them, they will pull guns out and shoot at you.

There are some street gangs in IV, although they look like any other guy, i would prefer they were more obvious that they stood out a little more, but the main problem with gangs in IV was that i never ever had any heat from any other gangs, and never had a problem with gang members since there were so few, and the fact that they didn't ever attack me, you would think after killing sh*tlaods of ancelotti gang members that some mafia hanging around on the street would attempt to kill you? Nope never happened.

I mean the stereotype with street gangs is that dumb African-American or Hispanic male runs around with drugs in his pocket a glock. This is actually not true after doing some research and watching documentaries on certain street gangs alot of them have become alot more clever than before. They now know how to set up structures and groups with strict heirachy and also have learnt how to launder money by buying strip joints using them as fronts. Sure they arn't at the Mafia's level yet or similar groups however they still control alot of the drugs distribution in places like Chicago and detroit

It would be interesting if R* tried to implement things like that into gangs which may appear in the next game, but i still want some gangsters to be stupid Hispanics carrying guns.

For Gang Wars i would like to see a return of territories, and very hostile gangs, it would be good if when you got into a gunfight with other gangsters that the police stayed out of it, that would make picking of rival gang members easier and more fun, but the SA style of territories would be great, there should be more gangs, and gangs all over the cities this time, some gangs more hostile than others, they would have to work out some respect system between gangs.

Official General

There are some street gangs in IV, although they look like any other guy, i would prefer they were more obvious that they stood out a little more, but the main problem with gangs in IV was that i never ever had any heat from any other gangs, and never had a problem with gang members since there were so few, and the fact that they didn't ever attack me, you would think after killing sh*tlaods of ancelotti gang members that some mafia hanging around on the street would attempt to kill you? Nope never happened.

@ finn4life

I kinda disagree with the first part of your comment. Apart from the West Coast gangs like the Bloods and Crips, most street gang members in the US do not necessarily dress or clothe themselves in a way to openly distinguish themselves as being part of a particular gang or criminal organization. Even gangs that like to use color-coded clothing for self-identity, such as the New York/New Jersey-based chapters of the Latin Kings and the Bloods and Crips, do not always conform to wearing specifically colored clothing or material to be obviously identified amongst the general public as gang members. In the GTA IV-style Liberty City, it was more realistic to have street gang members to conceal their weapons and blend into the local crowds of pedestrians in their ghetto neighbourhoods, because in real-life, most street gang members in New York are normally not distinguishable from other people who live and hang out in these same ghettoes and they certainly do not walk around openly brandishing their guns. I've been to New York many times and from what I've seen and what I know, that is how it is. Rockstar definitely got that part right in GTA IV. Even cities like Chicago that have a huge and long-established street gang presence, do not have obviously distinguishable street gang members for most part.

If we are talking about a GTA game like San Andreas which is based on Los Angeles/West Coast gangs, then your preference for street gangs being made to look obvious and distingusihable will make more sense. This is because Los Angeles and its surrounding areas are home to many street gangs like the Bloods and Crips who generally use specific colors for their clothing to openly and publicly identify their gang affiliations, (eg. Bloods = Red, Crips = Blue).

I agree with the part about begrudging gang members attacking you, long after you've had a very big falling out with their gang. This was a feature seen in the previous GTAs start from GTA III, so it would be good to see it come back. It would definitely make sense to have this feature, as there will always be one gang that the protagonist will really pi** off and come after him for his blood. In GTA IV, members of the Mafia and The Russian Mob should have been blasting at Niko anytime he entered their turf, it would have complimented the storyline very well.

My main problem is not seeing random gun battles in the street between rival gangs, drug-dealers or criminals that did not involve the player or the police. I wanted to see much more random crime and shootings in the streets.

I also agree with your gang wars idea, as long as it fits in nicely with settings and the storyline.

Edited by Official General
  • Like 1

All this "gangsta" things is not for me. I know that you're tired all of Russians and Italians from GTA IV, me too. I want to see some cuban cocaine dealers from Vice City, I think it's much better than ghetto "gangsta" rap story. (I never say that SA is a bad game!). But it's just my opinion, we will see what R* create.

Yeah I say bring back gangs where they form in groups of 3-10 people at times. Then allow the main character to hire up to 8 as well. The other 4 will steal a nearby car to follow you (or catch up to you in a spawned 4-door car if you leave the area with the only 4-door car nearby.)

Official General
Yeah I say bring back gangs where they form in groups of 3-10 people at times. Then allow the main character to hire up to 8 as well. The other 4 will steal a nearby car to follow you (or catch up to you in a spawned 4-door car if you leave the area with the only 4-door car nearby.)

You can already do something like this in GTA IV by just calling Dwayne Forge for back up on Niko's cell phone. When you this, a car with two gang members will arrive to any place where Niko is, and the gang members will become Niko's bodyguards at once and follow him wherever he goes, and they will get into any car he gets into. They will shoot at anyone that attacks Niko too, even the police.

Rockstar will never revisit an era with a theme that has been visited before. They want to explore new eras and make new themes in their own satirical representation and vision.

Edited by FiS!!HeR

you can already do that

but in next gta

u should be able have more gang members to help you

It would be nice if they expand beyond just recruiting gang members, especially if you become a crime boss.

It'd be nice to actually feel like you call the shots.

Yes. However, no more LA styled gangs (for all you ignorant folks out there, they aren't all the same). I'd like to see a new VC, so some modern day MIA styled gangs would be awesome. Nice and violent, revolving around drug dealing, and so on. Official General would know what I'm talking about.

However, I don't want the game to completely revolve around street gangs and such. We still need to have a variety of criminal organizations.

Rockstar will never revisit an era with a theme that has been visited before. They want to explore new eras and make new themes in their own satirical representation and vision.

I've heard them say that, but that's not completely true. For instance, the "Mafia" theme was used in both GTA III and LCS. And the 80's drug trade/disco music/me-generation theme was used in both Vice City and VCS. I mean there aren't enough different eras to use in every new game.

user posted image

Detroit wouldn't be a bad setting for a ghetto gta, would it?

Detroit is a f*cking sh*thole, excellent GTA material. And they get down in Detroit. That would take GTA to a whole new level of grittiness.

gtaplayer12345679
Detroit wouldn't be a bad setting for a ghetto gta, would it?

Detroit is a f*cking sh*thole, excellent GTA material. And they get down in Detroit. That would take GTA to a whole new level of grittiness.

ISNT DETROIT CARCER CITY

Harwood Butch3r

I don't really like the gangsta theme however if R* showed a gritty side of it not like in Saints Row it could be interesting.

I feel R* didn't capture it fully in SA, but if done right instead of what would appeal to 14 year old little sh*ts that think they're Dr Dre it could work very well. It also doesn't need to be LA influenced. The Detroit, or Chicago ghetto could use some exposure.

I've heard them say that, but that's not completely true. For instance, the "Mafia" theme was used in both GTA III and LCS. And the 80's drug trade/disco music/me-generation theme was used in both Vice City and VCS. I mean there aren't enough different eras to use in every new game.

LCS and VCS aren't completely new major GTA games. They are both connected to their original games, LCS as a background story for GTA III, and VCS as a background story for Vice City, so that's why they share the same theme and, in a big part, the same story. Major GTA releases, GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas, then GTA IV had their own eras and themes, so I believe that any upcoming major release is going to have its own era and theme that haven't been explored yet. Going back to the 80s of Vice City or to the 90s of Los Santos with the same themes of GTA III era, isn't going to happen.

Edited by FiS!!HeR

LCS and VCS aren't completely new major GTA games. They are both connected to their original games, LCS as a background story for GTA III, and VCS as a background story for Vice City, so that's why they share the same theme and, in a big part, the same story. Major GTA releases, GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas, then GTA IV had their own eras and themes, so I believe that any upcoming major release is going to have its own era and theme that haven't been explored yet. Going back to the 80s of Vice City or to the 90s of Los Santos with the same themes of GTA III era, isn't going to happen.

Yeah but the thing is that one day there won't be any new eras to explore because all of them has been used already. The question is what will happen then. I mean you can't go back to the early 90's and not have a game that includes ghetto life and gangsta rap.

user posted image