How do you want time to pass?

outlaw46

In the PS2 GTAs, one second of real time = one minute of game time, therefore making each hour in GTA just one minute long and making each 24 hour day in the game 24 minutes in our world.

Then in GTA IV, 2 seconds of real time = one minute of game time, making each hour 2 minutes long and each 24 hour day in Liberty City = 48 minutes in our world.

THEN in RDR, 4 seconds of real time = one minute of game time, making each hour in RDR = 4 minutes of our time, and each 24 hour day in RDR = 96 minutes of our time or approx. an hour and a half.

If you go back and put in GTA IV and RDR you will really notice how much longer a day is in RDR (twice as long literally) allowing you to do more things/activities in one gameday...

Here's my point/question, which time system (if either) did you guys like better when it came to realism for the game? I personally think that with stoplights and traffic and size of the the city that GTA may have been a bit more realistic having one "gamehour" be 4 minutes long than just 2 minutes. With the old system, if you wanted to take a taxi from New Alderney to Broker, it would take almost literally half of a game day.

Of course they could always make the next game in real time, which for me means that whatever time you are playing the game during the day, that's the time it is in the game for your character...I hope they don't do that...

Snake Without a Tongue

This is an old question so it might get locked, but yeah... I want longer days. I hate starting a mission in the morning and ending it in the dark. It's just dumb.

I like the '1 minute = 1 second'.

But I would like to be able to choose how long the player sleeps...

i like to play video games, animation movies and cartoons in my freee time.I like to net surfing also.This is my hobby for searching new energetic and informative creative site which give me more knowledge.Your gta forum is fullfill my requirement.

ErwinS

Seo Services

I personally thought RDR had endless nights, but I liked them. I think the III era's days were too short. IV was alright, I guess.

I think RDR seems to be the right amount of time, even though I don't have RDR. However, I guess a night on GTA is better than a night riding round on a horse with no light but the moon, Liberty City at night is cool (Although I struggle to see choppers when they are in the sky).

The real time thing would be dumb, most people play on it after school/work and would barely see it at night lol and with different timezones around the world one player in America would be in Dawn whilst the UK are in Dusk or whatever, it just wouldn't work.

It didn't make a huge difference to me, if you don't like the time sleep (save) or in GTA III era go to a pay n spray

Banned, now stay the f*ck out

I'd go with the 4-minute system. More than that is too much, but I still felt like time moved too fast in GTA:IV. For some odd reason, time felt more accurate in GTA:SA than in GTA:IV. Maybe because GTA:SA was a more fast-paced game, such short timing fit..

Finn 7 five 11

Then in GTA IV, 2 seconds of real time = one minute of game time, making each hour 2 minutes long and each 24 hour day in Liberty City = 48 minutes in our world.

I did not know that, are you ? No wonder it took so damn long for time to pass in IV, i think it is better than 1minute = 1 second, especially if you have appointments to meet, someone said choosing how long you sleep, that would be ideal, so long as it was a quick option.

I don't really care, whatever fits with the game better, maybe 1 second is actually better...i dunno.

Finn 7 five 11

Of course not, that would be ridiculous, you didn't have to wait 12 minutes to save in IV did you? No you did not, so apply the same concept if it were in real time.

(which is silly i think)

SirPsychoSexy

Well, I don't care that much really. Interesting though that RDR has 4 second minutes, I didn't know that. Explains why I couldn't get time to pass.

I think I liked the 2 seconds = 1 minute concept better, one thing that annoyed me in IV though was not that I could start a mission in the morning and it would end at nigh (which pretty much never happened?) but that during a cutscene light would change much. In RDR I was under the impression that time didn't pass during cutscenes, am I right? Or did time just go slowly? Anyway I think that's a good thing.

I played through GTA 4 and Episodes from LC this past fall (again) for 3 months. I planned it out on a Word calendar and played literally one day at a time for Niko (and Johnny and Luis) as each day passed in real life. (For instance, I played Wednesday for Niko, Wed. for Johnny, and Wed. for Luis all on the real-life Wednesday of the week; you could always check the day of the week from their cell phones when you would pull them up to see the time of day.)

Anyway, it lasted for three months because I would play about 1 mission a day for Niko and the timing seemed to work just about right with the 1 game hour = 2 minutes real-time. This would give me about 36 minutes of gameplay for each in-game day because I would make them go to bed at about 12:00 midnight and then they would wake up again obviously 6 hours later...giving you 18 game hours of play time and then 6 hours of sleep.

When that was my method, you could

(1) wake up with your character (Niko, Johnny, or Luis),

(2) drive to your mission of choice for the day (choosing to "obey" traffic rules made for a more realistic role-play experience)

(3)complete the mission of the day

(4) then usually have enough time left in the day before "bedtime" to do one side mission (i.e. race, steal a car for Brucie, drug war, hang out with a friend)

(5) go to bed

I also played through RDR one day at a time for every day in real life last summer (that way my wife wouldn't ever get too mad at me for playing "too much" in one given day!) and R* also made John sleep for 6 hour intervals. However, it always took about 1 hour and 12 minutes to get through one day of John Marston's life, and that turned out to be pretty good too (even though it was double GTA time) because the longer distances between towns in RDR made it necessary to have that extra time. For example, going from Bonnie's ranch to Armadillo would take at least half a game-day if you are truly making your horse just walk or slowly trot (to be more realistic) and then you would have time for one mission and then a side game of cards or five finger fillet or something like that before John's bedtime.

P.S. I can't think of a way to post my Microsoft Word GTA Calendar on this website for those interested to see how I did it. If anyone wants to see it and knows how to post or attach a Word doc. on here then I'd be glad to share my GTA experience with others...

laxrugbyfootball

i like the second=minute which is better because if you think about it the day time moves quicker and also like when they have random characters that can only be at night its easy to wait really quick

I like longer daytime, but I dislike longer nights more, so I prefer the San An style 1 minute per hour. Implementing a choose sleep length is the best way forward.

• 2 years later...
I played through GTA 4 and Episodes from LC this past fall (again) for 3 months. I planned it out on a Word calendar and played literally one day at a time for Niko (and Johnny and Luis) as each day passed in real life. (For instance, I played Wednesday for Niko, Wed. for Johnny, and Wed. for Luis all on the real-life Wednesday of the week; you could always check the day of the week from their cell phones when you would pull them up to see the time of day.)

Anyway, it lasted for three months because I would play about 1 mission a day for Niko and the timing seemed to work just about right with the 1 game hour = 2 minutes real-time. This would give me about 36 minutes of gameplay for each in-game day because I would make them go to bed at about 12:00 midnight and then they would wake up again obviously 6 hours later...giving you 18 game hours of play time and then 6 hours of sleep.

When that was my method, you could

(1) wake up with your character (Niko, Johnny, or Luis),

(2) drive to your mission of choice for the day (choosing to "obey" traffic rules made for a more realistic role-play experience)

(3)complete the mission of the day

(4) then usually have enough time left in the day before "bedtime" to do one side mission (i.e. race, steal a car for Brucie, drug war, hang out with a friend)

(5) go to bed

I also played through RDR one day at a time for every day in real life last summer (that way my wife wouldn't ever get too mad at me for playing "too much" in one given day!) and R* also made John sleep for 6 hour intervals. However, it always took about 1 hour and 12 minutes to get through one day of John Marston's life, and that turned out to be pretty good too (even though it was double GTA time) because the longer distances between towns in RDR made it necessary to have that extra time. For example, going from Bonnie's ranch to Armadillo would take at least half a game-day if you are truly making your horse just walk or slowly trot (to be more realistic) and then you would have time for one mission and then a side game of cards or five finger fillet or something like that before John's bedtime.

P.S. I can't think of a way to post my Microsoft Word GTA Calendar on this website for those interested to see how I did it. If anyone wants to see it and knows how to post or attach a Word doc. on here then I'd be glad to share my GTA experience with others...

I think I know what I'm doing before 5s release.