What if there was seasons in the next gta?

AkymarsDoc

Like, after lets say 30 In-Game Days it has changed season, like from fall where its all rainy and dark most of the time to winter where theres lots of snow and rain and is always dark,

tell me what you think of it

Edited by Ryan

OT: I'm going to ignore the fact that i posting in a topic about this in the last week, (it could have been a topic and i mentioned this i dunno)

Seasons would be great but how would it work. Will, after 30 gameplay days, the season change into summer/winter? or will the story progress and, the season would change according to how far you are mission wise? Like the story takes place over 2 seasons and the only way to change season is to do missions.

Each have their merits. The first i think will offer the player more control over the seasons, perhaps the better option (maybe a cheat to change them?)

The story controlled option may make the story feel longer, but if you do all the missions in one go it'd feel... wrong.

Edited by Ryan

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

087rqaU.pngVw81Z2a.pngxWvxZoT.png1fb6cYB.png

Click here to view my Poetry

Ive wanted seasons since gta III. It would be great to have snow, and would also make the story feel longer. I dont think it will happen though, san andreas and vice city are both warm climates

Yar I'd like to have snow covering the city at some point. If the season was independant of missions though you could end up having to do a difficult driving mission in the snow making it impossible. But yea, keep wondering where that snow has got to...

Seasons would be a very nice addition, but there should be a way to fast-forward or skip seasons though. If I want sun and dry roads I imagine it would really suck having to wait ~50 ingame days.

TheBlackProject
Ive wanted seasons since gta III. It would be great to have snow, and would also make the story feel longer. I dont think it will happen though, san andreas and vice city are both warm climates

San Andreas? Not really.

San Francisco is actually cold all year-round, it's pretty much 40-50 degrees Fahrenheit all year. But it never snows which really sucks, if it did have snow then San Francisco would be the closest city to a European city but I guess it already is anyway.

But there is always mountains and such which will obviously get snow, and if R* makes San Andreas again they really need to add Lake Tahoe. It is so beautiful, and actually matches a real life location to a conservative/republican redneck area of California of the countryside for San Andreas. Oh and Lake Tahoe in winter has snow everywhere, so that would be awesome.

Anyway, I don't think it should be 30-game in time. Why not just do 4 seasons a year like in real life?

they had seasons in Bully, and it was pretty cool. You didn't really notice it other than Winter though.

they had seasons in Bully, and it was pretty cool. You didn't really notice it other than Winter though.

Yea I think the smaller environment made it easier to adapt to different seasons in Bully. And the term based chapters helped the seasons fit together. Term is the british word for them, can't think of the american equivalent sorry. Semester? Thats what universities here use...

If there were seasons in the next GTA I'd splooge all over the screen.

I like in bully how the season changed as the chapters did, something like that could work, then after you finish all the missions, the seasons change every 15 in-game days or whatever

Long Haired Freaky Guy
OT: I'm going to ignore the fact that i posting in a topic about this in the last week, (it could have been a topic and i mentioned this i dunno)

Deja-vu here for me too.

Anyway, I don't really care for seasons to be added to the game, just more variety of weather. SA had the best thunderstorms ever, with the random chance of planes falling out of the sky. I remember the first storm on SA, and a plane actually crashed right down in front of me; I was genuinely freaked out in a good way.

I wouldn't even mind if the weather was scripted for certain missions, such as car chases in the snow and stuff like that. IV had the worst weather in all the 3D GTA games IMO. In III, when the rain came, it came really bad, and the atmosphere of the game just added to the murky feeling. In VC, there were storms aswell, just not as powerful, and as I mentioned, when there was a storm in SA, all hell broke loose. I used to walk around looking up at the sky during a storm to try and watch planes falling from the sky.

In IV, it rained and all that it affected was it mde people run for cover.

The weather should play a big part, such as a rise in car-crashes between NPC's during stormy weather, and snow covering the roads.

The_Mario_Man

Anyway, I don't really care for seasons to be added to the game, just more variety of weather. SA had the best thunderstorms ever, with the random chance of planes falling out of the sky. I remember the first storm on SA, and a plane actually crashed right down in front of me; I was genuinely freaked out in a good way.

I think that random plane-crashing was more attributed to terrible pathfinding for the planes. I once saw 3 planes crash in the same area within seconds of eachother in clear weather.

Anyway, seasons would be very nice to see, especially if the game is set in an area that can achieve the best visuals for each seasons (heavy snow in winter, leaves browning/falling in autumn, heat shimmer on the road/vehicles in summer, etc)

Effectively the entire look of the city could be changed. NPC clothing and behavior is different during cold/hot seasons, traffic accidents are more frequent on wet/icy roads, some vehicles like service trucks could be equipped with plows, etc.

What i don't like is the simple fact that people think it will be set in SA and VC and so make assumptions with that as the primary piece of knowledge. Who is to say it won't take place in London? or perhaps Toronto? or Arizona? or even an entirely new state similar to Just Cause 2. The thing is since No one knows where it will be set (Other than the developers of course) then we can't make any accurate suggestions untill we do.

There is, as Mokrie Dela pointed out, the case of how it should be implimented into the game in the first place, if you mean naturally in free mode than that would take a hell of alot of work, espically on the Multiplayer servers. If you mean story mode it would be good but alot people would complain about the feature after they complete the game and when they go on Multiplayer and here is why:

After they complete the game say they want to be able to pick up a snow ball and lob it at someones head or watch helicopters, planes, trees and maybe even buildings get torn down in hurricanes perhaps some slipperay ice on the roads and some fierce blizzards? It's simple all of these things are so good you don't want them to go the moment you leave the story. You want them to stay because they are amazing features and the game would be lacking without them. I can say that i would be upset and probably think R* lazy for only half putting a feature in ( Something that happend alot in IV) we all know it would take alot of work ect but it would just make people mad if the feature wasn't there at the end of the story line.

So now you why people would complain, in closing this thread should be renamed. Would You Like Seasons In The Next GTA?. as it would make the thread much easier to respond to and wouldnt require so much of an explanation most people would probably stop reading this by now, as i said befoe however if you change the name of thread it can become a lot less theoretical an actually be a Fact. Do you want seasons in the next GTA? I could say yes to that and give a short explanation why, however this thread cancels it's self out because the content of the thread already implies that we must know something about V(Which we at this moment in time do not) Where as the title is a what if question, its Fact vs Fiction and this thread will contiue to make no sense unless the name is changed.

What i don't like is the simple fact that people think it will be set in SA and VC and so make assumptions with that as the primary piece of knowledge. Who is to say it won't take place in London? or perhaps Toronto? or Arizona? or even an entirely new state similar to Just Cause 2. The thing is since No one knows where it will be set (Other than the developers of course) then we can't make any accurate suggestions untill we do.

There is, as Mokrie Dela pointed out, the case of how it should be implimented into the game in the first place, if you mean naturally in free mode than that would take a hell of alot of work, espically on the Multiplayer servers. If you mean story mode it would be good but alot people would complain about the feature after they complete the game and when they go on Multiplayer and here is why:

After they complete the game say they want to be able to pick up a snow ball and lob it at someones head or watch helicopters, planes, trees and maybe even buildings get torn down in hurricanes perhaps some slipperay ice on the roads and some fierce blizzards? It's simple all of these things are so good you don't want them to go the moment you leave the story. You want them to stay because they are amazing features and the game would be lacking without them. I can say that i would be upset and probably think R* lazy for only half putting a feature in ( Something that happend alot in IV) we all know it would take alot of work ect but it would just make people mad if the feature wasn't there at the end of the story line.

So now you why people would complain, in closing this thread should be renamed. Would You Like Seasons In The Next GTA?. as it would make the thread much easier to respond to and wouldnt require so much of an explanation most people would probably stop reading this by now, as i said befoe however if you change the name of thread it can become a lot less theoretical an actually be a Fact. Do you want seasons in the next GTA? I could say yes to that and give a short explanation why, however this thread cancels it's self out because the content of the thread already implies that we must know something about V(Which we at this moment in time do not) Where as the title is a what if question, its Fact vs Fiction and this thread will contiue to make no sense unless the name is changed.

Multiplayer: There could be a setting in there, like weather: "Summer/Winter" select winter and snow storms etc are available (tho we get more storms in summer tounge.gif )

Single player: I dont think it'd take more work - just advanced timecyc.dat (is it still using that system? Havnt modded since SA). I don't think GTA will include this feature, unless it's through the bully/Mafia2 system of changing it over the story.

Then once stories completed? It could be done the other way for gameplay.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

087rqaU.pngVw81Z2a.pngxWvxZoT.png1fb6cYB.png

Click here to view my Poetry

If there were seasons in the next GTA I'd splooge all over the screen.
You won't have to because there will be snow tounge.gif

I like in bully how the season changed as the chapters did, something like that could work, then after you finish all the missions, the seasons change every 15 in-game days or whatever
It could be pretty cool to have a story that followed over the seasons, afterall real stories do... It might clash with the element of freedom and picking up missions when you feel like, but I think most serious mission players probably do them quite soon after one-another most the time. Not doing any more missions to try and stay in perpetual summer or winter could be a side-effect too, so yea there would need to be other mechanics to keep and change seasons...

I wouldn't even mind if the weather was scripted for certain missions, such as car chases in the snow and stuff like that.
Mmm me neither. There's a mission in the night of LA in the original Driver game which is just made all the better by being set in the rain. The slidy roads make an extra challenge and the reflections look beautiful.

Having heavy weather changes affecting missions would definately be better fixed rather than independant, as the negative effects on that mission would be fair this way rather than becoming trapped with an unexpected negative weather effect.

There is, as Mokrie Dela pointed out, the case of how it should be implimented into the game in the first place, if you mean naturally in free mode than that would take a hell of alot of work, espically on the Multiplayer servers. If you mean story mode it would be good but alot people would complain about the feature after they complete the game and when they go on Multiplayer...
Good point. With regards to my interest in getting both fairness and fluidity out of season changes vs missions, and with multiplayer in mind also... Perhaps they could just have realtime seasons, say one season for each quarter of the real month.

That way everyone gets to enjoy the different seasons and doesn't miss out, missions can be done all in easy summer if played on the right dates or through winter if they really want to, always there are cheats if people want to enjoy a different season...

Summer - Sunny, Trees full of life, warm.

Spring - flowers blooming, weather warming up.

Winter - Snow, rain, cold, dark, windy.

Fall - bleak, empty trees and dead leaves on the ground, windy.

Could be done. Wind could be made to effect gameplay and the environment.

Negro Bandito

most gta's are set in cities, unless its gonna be like san andreas with a country side it would be pointless just to have the recreational parks in the city show the effects confused.gif

Another good idea would be ice on rivers seas and lakes. Imagine it, in the middle of a chase down an back ally street your friend/partner/bodygaurd ect tells you to take a detour over the lake when driving over over the lake ice starts to crumble behind you some police cars fall in, others turn back some even make stunt jumps and try to catch you. This will give a new sense of excitement to the GTA series.

The ocasional hurricane/tornado would be nice to include. Building damage would be a bit far from the current GTA mechanics, unless something scripted and temporary; but winds enough to send cars flipping and flying, spinning. NPCs/PCs too...

If it's set in places prone to them I don't see the harm in including them; if a frequent weather occurance then mild, weak storms. Something that can't actually be beaten by being in a car should be rare. Pedestrians could run and get in (other peoples and) your car as passengers to save themselves from blowing away, if buildings aren't closer and if the wind is the right severity.

And for that matter, if there is a water level variable a low level flash flood would be 'different'...

most gta's are set in cities, unless its gonna be like san andreas with a country side it would be pointless just to have the recreational parks in the city show the effects confused.gif

So you're saying it is pointless for real life cities like New York, Tokyo, London etc, to have seasons because only their 'recreational parks' would show the effects? No, then why should a city in a game lack seasons because of this?

Weather and seasons happen, its a part of this planet regardless of the place you live. I think seasons should be included and weather should be improved.

The_Mario_Man

most gta's are set in cities, unless its gonna be like san andreas with a country side it would be pointless just to have the recreational parks in the city show the effects

Have you seen what some recent snowstorms have done to New York? (And much of the US Eastern Coast in general?)

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I think those effects - if done right - would encompass a lot more than just recreational parks.

Not to say I'd find it fun to dig that taxi out in videogame form (Although it would be kinda cool to see NPCs doing it) but visually, snow on the sidewalk/street/trees/car tops/etc would look just as good in an urban setting as it would on a countryside.

Edited by The_Mario_Man

Negro Bandito

Ohh i didn't focus much on that i just read the part about how the trees look, maybe snow could add ramps or something

If they do make it so there are seasons. Maybe they should have a radio station that talks about the weather forcast and if a snowstorm and etc happens. Seasons could also make the game look more appealing to the mass because it would be the first sandbox to do somthng like this.

Edited by skillz7855

The_Mario_Man

They'd have to find a way to make this work time-wise as well. It would be kinda odd to go from a mid-summer heatwave to a blizzard over the course of a few (realtime) day or so. Maybe a different season for every month on the system clock?

Edited by The_Mario_Man

Ohh i didn't focus much on that i just read the part about how the trees look, maybe snow could add ramps or something

You've just redeemed yourself from the seasons don't affect cities thing. Snow season ramps? Awesome idea