Happy New Year!

ZZX_2S

The Lolwut Pear

Stupid response: Month late.

Is it the Chinese New Year? I'm kind of uninformed. confused.gif

Must be for the Chinese new year tounge.gif

I saw the title and immediatly thought just a bit late lol...

but then saw that one of our Chinese friends created it so...

Yeah Happy Lunar New Year, or Tết for the Vietnamese. wink.gif

I am a fool = =. I forgot to say, now is the Chinese New Year. Or a spring festival

Well not all Asians are Chinese, so I'd prefer that it be called Lunar New Year. moto_whistle.gif

Anyways, I'm not going to the Tet Festival because we're celebrating at home but is anyone else going?

23088_s.gif

Happy Chinese New Years!

It's the year of the wabbit!

Time for some red envelopes with money in it!

Happy Chinese New Years!

It's the year of the wabbit!

Time for some red envelopes with money in it!

Yes, I get a red envelope a = =

I STILL don't believe you.

But fine, happy Chinese new year. May peace be fostered between our people.

It's naive, but I really do wish for peace between people. Now, peace between nations is a different story. Let governments duke it out.

It's naive, but I really do wish for peace between people. Now, peace between nations is a different story. Let governments duke it out.

I'm not really understanding why war is necessary. It's not solving problems anymore, but is slowing down the progress of every nation involved in developing new weapons. Japan, which demilitarized after WWII, made numerous advances in technology. We, on the other hand, are still focused on creating new machines that facilitate the killing of other humans, while possessing a strong aversion towards Communists since the hysteria brought about by McCarthyism.

I really think we can begin to solve the real problems that threaten society as a whole if the whole world became globalized instead of fighting over mere resources and ideologies. Everything would be so much easier if the whole world was one, much like how the EU united the countries of Europe. confused.gif

23088_s.gif

Well not all Asians are Chinese, so I'd prefer that it be called Lunar New Year. moto_whistle.gif

Not everybody who observes the lunar new year is Asian, either.

Edited by Moonshield

4XEtraA.jpg

Happy new year yo!

dog_day_sunrise

I'm not really understanding why war is necessary. It's not solving problems anymore, but is slowing down the progress of every nation involved in developing new weapons. Japan, which demilitarized after WWII, made numerous advances in technology. We, on the other hand, are still focused on creating new machines that facilitate the killing of other humans, while possessing a strong aversion towards Communists since the hysteria brought about by McCarthyism.

I really think we can begin to solve the real problems that threaten society as a whole if the whole world became globalized instead of fighting over mere resources and ideologies. Everything would be so much easier if the whole world was one, much like how the EU united the countries of Europe. confused.gif

Unfortunately, it's the human drive to competitiveness, to atain more than your neighbour has, that means war will always exist.

I'd also dispute your theory that war slows down progress- quite the opposite. In fact, I cannot think of many worthwhile inventions besides the motor vehicle that haven't derived directly from military innovation. Computers? Military. Modern medicine? Military. Nuclear power? Military. Aircraft? Refiend to a usable state by the military. Japan didn't demilitarise after the Second World War either- they still possess a "self defence force". In fact, Japan has the seventh largest miliary expenditure on earth, higher than Germany, India, Brazil, Canada, Australia and even Israel. Nations like the UK and the US have vast swathes of their economic might made up of defence contractors- for instance, about 40% of all UK physical exports are defence related. The economic sanctions of abandoning military R&D projects doesn't bear thinking about.

Globalisation as a catalyst to Democratic Peace Theory is a scam and a lie. Loook across the world- besides a few states in Western Europe no nation exhibits the true signs of globalisation (in an IR sense anyawy). Defence budgets are holding steady rather than dropping; many are actually rising. There's been some transition away from regular inter-state warfare, but most conflicts outside of the developed world are still fought state-on-state. The problem is this- the world can be divided into four sections- the great powers (US, China, Russia); Safe Stable Nations (the EU); Unsafe Stable Nations (Middle East, Central America, North Africa, Southeast Asia); and Failed or Failing States (East and Central Africa, North Caucusses). The great powers seek to avert globalisation as it threatens their hegonomic domination of world politics, the safe stable nations tend to move towards it, the unsafe states are too concerned in their own internal and strategic security to worry about it, and the failed or failing states don't have the internal structural power to embrace it even if they did care.

Unfortunately, it's the human drive to competitiveness, to atain more than your neighbour has, that means war will always exist.

I'd also dispute your theory that war slows down progress- quite the opposite. In fact, I cannot think of many worthwhile inventions besides the motor vehicle that haven't derived directly from military innovation. Computers? Military. Modern medicine? Military. Nuclear power? Military. Aircraft? Refiend to a usable state by the military. Japan didn't demilitarise after the Second World War either- they still possess a "self defence force". In fact, Japan has the seventh largest miliary expenditure on earth, higher than Germany, India, Brazil, Canada, Australia and even Israel. Nations like the UK and the US have vast swathes of their economic might made up of defence contractors- for instance, about 40% of all UK physical exports are defence related. The economic sanctions of abandoning military R&D projects doesn't bear thinking about.

Globalisation as a catalyst to Democratic Peace Theory is a scam and a lie. Loook across the world- besides a few states in Western Europe no nation exhibits the true signs of globalisation (in an IR sense anyawy). Defence budgets are holding steady rather than dropping; many are actually rising. There's been some transition away from regular inter-state warfare, but most conflicts outside of the developed world are still fought state-on-state. The problem is this- the world can be divided into four sections- the great powers (US, China, Russia); Safe Stable Nations (the EU); Unsafe Stable Nations (Middle East, Central America, North Africa, Southeast Asia); and Failed or Failing States (East and Central Africa, North Caucusses). The great powers seek to avert globalisation as it threatens their hegonomic domination of world politics, the safe stable nations tend to move towards it, the unsafe states are too concerned in their own internal and strategic security to worry about it, and the failed or failing states don't have the internal structural power to embrace it even if they did care.

Hmmm I guess it's true that science often piggybacks on wartime necessities in order to advance but the world as a whole cannot advance when individual countries are only interested in their own dominance over others. Also, I don't think the world is really trying to globalize (apart from the EU) so we can't observe signs of globalization if none of us are even making the effort right? I'm just thinking that, in theory, the world would be better off if we banded together as a group of states where borders don't distinguish one country from another the way that it does now. I guess the only way for us to unite under a common identity is if aliens actually posed a threat to us. confused.gif

Not everybody who observes the lunar new year is Asian, either.

So... another reason to not call it Chinese New Year? tounge.gif

Anyways, I just got my red envelopes with money and some lottery tickets lol.

23088_s.gif

I agree fully on war and competition bringing about innovation.

Bloodshed and struggle breeds innovation.

Anyway, I question states themselves, and if they can even fight globalization. In an economic sense, that is.

Protip: They can't. I sometimes wonder if corporations will be the wave of the future, and not governments. Nice analysis of the world stage, BTW. Never saw it like that. Then again, I'm no politico. turn.gif

the world as a whole cannot advance when individual countries are only interested in their own dominance over others.

Sure it can! We simply get resources from point A and insert it into point B. Even in day-to-day life, it's a fight of dominance over others. Tell me, how many resumes were thrown in the trash because you were accepted into your position and not others?

Sure it can! We simply get resources from point A and insert it into point B. Even in day-to-day life, it's a fight of dominance over others. Tell me, how many resumes were thrown in the trash because you were accepted into your position and not others?

Well... I'm in no position that requires stepping over others (High School Junior) but I suppose I will fight to the death to get to one which is why I'm planning on going to a good university. Never thought about it that way though... I guess that makes me a hypocrite. turn.gif

What can we do next then? My vision of the future has just shattered. cryani.gif

23088_s.gif

dog_day_sunrise
Anyway, I question states themselves, and if they can even fight globalization. In an economic sense, that is.

Protip: They can't. I sometimes wonder if corporations will be the wave of the future, and not governments. Nice analysis of the world stage, BTW. Never saw it like that. Then again, I'm no politico. turn.gif

Oh, they can't- not economically or socially, anyway (unless they're the DPRK or Myanmar). Even economically isolationist nations have been dragged, kicking and screaming, towards economic globalisation. But the "international societies" aspect of it hasn't really come into fruition- the less "safe" states are too busy worrying about their internal and external security to really embrace it- India/Pakistan, Israel/its neighbours and Russia/North Caucasus are perfect examples....and I can't realistically see nations like Somalia or Yemen embracing any form of globalisation in any hurry.