Infinity

Andy...

First a small piece of information regarding this story. I originally conceived this as being an experiment where I would write a story without thinking about where I was heading. I just wanted to make it up as I go along. Another stipulation I had was that I would post ONLY five sentences every day. Hence why this first piece is split up into four paragraphs made up of five sentences with no real story structure to it and very short. But since then I have a storyline and am just making it up as I go along and there's more meat to the writing. However since I wrote this first chapter I've abandoned the five sentence structure and decided to type AT LEAST five sentences a day. I've just finished my fourth chapter and decided to start posting stuff in the Writer's Discussion. When I finish my fifth chapter I will post another chapter and so on)

Chapter 1: Where are we going?

In the beginning, there was man. This hairy and under developed creature slowly evolved into what we are today. Humans who have advanced so far in technology that we have become able to create life using machines. Surely it is only a matter of time before those machines are able to create life themselves and therefore there would be two races of people who live on this Earth, humans and machines.

It is the 2089th year of our Lord and the next step in the evolution of human life and technology is on the cusp. We as a society have created a microchip that can control the world. With humans no longer being able to reproduce the natural way we have had to create this microchip to act as a God to watch over us. This chip, codenamed ‘Infinity’, will have enough power, enough knowledge in it’s tiny construction to control the world. It will be responsible for what we do in our lives, which direction we as a society is heading, who lives and who dies, there is no end to it’s function.

This breakthrough has not been easy. Seventy years of war has taken it’s toll on the Earth and the war for resources has taken more casualties than all the plagues and diseases throughout history. Although this war has allowed for more money to be pumped into research in new genetic and mechanical lifeforms, it has also led to sabotage by different countries to gain the upper hand, taking with it years of data. Important figures such as Dr Boris Pavlyuchoko, Professor Andrew Stoppard and Dr Christina Tautou have all been martyrs in this conflict, the closest we ever came to living Gods.

Humanity has fallen out of favour with itself and can no longer trust itself. It was humanity who put themselves into this situation, however they can redeem themselves with Infinity. Project Infinity will give complete control to the most advanced system in the world who can project the best decision for the Earth’s interest without any margin of error. When Infinity is installed in it’s bunker, two hundred feet below Earth, it will have control of the Earth’s weather machines, nuclear warheads, bio-robotics factory and servers, therefore letting it decide which artificial life dies and who is born. The only ones out of it’s control will be the people who are still organic, who are a dying race.

Edited by Pandazoot

So you decided to drop God 2.0 as a title then? This one makes more sense, considering the actual story.

The intro was a bit typical with the whole 'is humanity done with?' thing, but I like where this could go. Are you planning on doing some Philosophical undertones with the battle between humanity and machines? Seems like you will, anyway. There was only one sentence that sort of irked me out of the whole thing:

Humanity has fallen out of favour with itself and can no longer trust itself.

Just seeing itself typed twice in that seemed off, is all. There are a few other things like that, but the overall flow is nice. I'm definitely a sucker for Science Fiction, and I'm looking forward to where you go with this Andy!

EDIT: The damn servers kept going down while I tried to press add reply, and I had to retype this twice. There might be something I missed. As I said before, looking forward to more of this.

kzgN7qp.png

Chapter Two: A Brief History Of Disaster

The beginning of the new era could probably be marked at being in the year 2014. It was in that year that Scientists at a research facility in Norway successfully programmed what is considered the first modern artificial intelligence. This artificial intelligence was referred to as ADAM. Five years later a series of twenty ADAMs were built and released into society, closely monitored by a team of professionals. The research team from Norway were baffled at first, twelve of the ADAMs failed to successfully integrate into society but the other eight were a success.

These eight ADAMs were able to communicate with humans, interact with inanimate objects and to learn about the world around them. Meanwhile in Russia, a similar project was underway and after four years of intense research, an artificial intelligence which was referred to as EVE as a tribute to ADAM was created. Only one EVE was created and it had a much higher success rate than all of the ADAMs. EVE was implemented into a primary school where it was able to learn from the teacher and it’s own classmates, at the time it was considered a huge leap in human history. Soon, clones of EVE were built into all sorts of electronic devices, it was meant to advance the human race.

In the year 2018, war broke out between the United States of America and Iran. It was no secret that Iran had at least eighteen nuclear warheads and as soon as war was declared by President Harold Reeves, more money went into the research of artificial intelligence by the USA. It took them two years and the team of scientists from Norway to create their own artificial intelligence, they called it SAM. This artificial intelligence was implemented into their military systems to monitor the unidentified aerial objects over the United States airspace and to intercept any foreign objects. On December 21st 2019, SAM was unable to detect a nuclear warhead from Iran which destroyed Boston, Massachusetts and it’s surrounding area.

Many countries were angry towards Iran for this attack on US soil. The United Kingdom joined the United States against Iran. Meanwhile, China, who were looking to establish itself as the number one superpower in the world, joined Iran with an intent to crush the United States and then sweep aside Iran. What began as a squabble between the United States and Iran for oil escalated over five years in what became known as World War 3, although it is still referred to as the Resources War. Increasingly, more money was pumped into science and with the death of human life, came the advancement of the first cybernetic soldiers.

China were the first country to successful create a fully independent “Cybernetic soldier”, or more often referred to as a ‘Dragon’ due to it’s red colour and the American’s sense of humour). These Dragons were able to think independently for themselves and distinguish between their human squad mates and the enemy. It came as no surprise to some that China were the first out of the gate with cybernetic soldiers, it was fairy common knowledge that the Chinese had been researching into robotics since the end of the 20th century. Although they had their malfunctions, these Dragons proved themselves to be a force on the battlefield and it was only a matter of time before the Americans had their own version of the Dragons. Using an advanced version of SAM, they created their own cybernetic soldiers capable of matching the Chinese Dragons, war had entered a new phase.

This first wave of cybernetic soldiers did not resemble human beings like their fifth generation counterparts. The first wave of Cybernetics were clumsy and looked more like something from a 1970’s science fiction film. It wasn’t until the third generation of Cybernetics came to birth in the early 2050’s that synthetic skin became standard. At first this was used to make them look like helpless civilians who could take human squads by surprise. One Cybernetic was able to dispose of six humans in less than ten seconds.

In the year 2027, Iran dropped another nuclear warhead on American soil. This time it took the city of Los Angeles, California, taking with it Professor Andrew Stoppard, an influential figure in SAM’s history. This was a complete surprise attack, Iran were able to exploit a weakness in America’s SAM intelligence to take a target on the West coast. It was at this point that America launched what is now referred to as ‘Heavy Rain’. Heavy Rain was a co-ordinated attack with Great Britain and France which saw fifty-two nuclear warheads dropped on Iran and Southern Iraq, Iran was no more.

In the aftermath of Heavy Rain, a small nuclear war begun between several nuclear superpowers. The USA, Great Britain, Russia, France and Pakistan were all victims but their basic infrastructure and economy remained intact. The fallout of these nuclear warheads rendered much of the Earth’s population infertile and over time this increased dramatically to the present day when the conceiving of a child is a miracle. However this did not bother the superpowers of the world and in the human’s place, more and more Cybernetics were built. Not just for war but for politics and to provide care for humans.

In 2075, it dawned on the world that humans had become outnumbered by the cybernetics that roamed the Earth. The leaders of China, USA, Russia, Great Britain and Pakistan met at an undisclosed location to come to a peace agreement, known as the Global-Pact Peace Treaty, that would end war on Earth and bring the countries together as the new United Nations and try to repopulate the human race. Although there was sporadic fighting between smaller countries, the United Nations stopped all combat and slowly deactivate their Cybernetics. In 2088, the Infinity chip was completed and went through vigorous testing to ensure that it was ready to act as the new savior to the human race. Now, God was real.

Chapter 3: The Men Who Made God

Dr Neil Rogers see’s a light up ahead of him. It seems so far away from him, yet he feels like he can literally reach out and grab it. Neil follows it down a long narrow corridor, the walls are blank and when touched, feel cold. He moves faster down the corridor towards the beacon of light that is so enticing to him, as he runs along the corridor he can hear the echo of his footsteps surrounding him. Neil reaches the end of the corridor and he can feel the warmth of the light warming his skin, he reaches out with his hands but to his distress finds some kind of clear transparent wall is blocking him. Neil starts feeling around the transparent wall, looking for some kind of opening that he can use to get to the light but to no avail. He starts to pound on the wall repeatedly, desperate to get to the light. Finally a crack appears and Neil continues to apply force to the crack, slowly it increases in size until finally he breaks a hole in the wall. The light is now burning his skin, but only slightly, it feels heavenly. Suddenly around him, Neil can hear some kind of siren whaling in his eardrums, what has Neil done?

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP. Neil opens his eyes, he’s lying in his sleeping bag. Neil sits up and looks to his left where he finds his girlfriend, Natasha. He wipes the mucus from his eyes and looks at the UV light fixtures in the ceiling beaming down on him. The light fixtures shine down on many more people like him, waking up from their slumber in their sleeping bags. Neil covers his ears to try and block out the noise of the morning wake up call that is bringing everyone to consciousness but finally it comes to an end and the only noise that can be heard is that of sixty to eighty people slowly getting out of their sleeping bags and making their way to the camp bathrooms. “Natasha, wake up.”

Neil gives Natasha a gentle nudge which makes her let out a huge sigh. “Jesus, Neil. What time is it?”

Neil looks at his watch, “It’s 6:30, come on, today’s the big one.”

In the camp bathrooms, men and women are milling about naked, one after the other they all go through the toilets, showers and wash basins, overlooked by several guards dressed in military garments, their goggles cover their eyes, they are anonymous. Neil exits the bathroom and heads back over to a counter on the far side of the mess hall that is now a temporary sleeping quarters. At the counter, two more guards in military uniform hand him a duffel bag. Neil heads back to his sleeping bag and opens up his duffel bag to find his uniform for the coming day. One pair of standard black shoes, one pair of black socks, a pair of black pants, one white shirt and a standard white lab coat. Neil rests his eye glasses on the arch of his nose, he kisses an uninterested Natasha on the cheek, then leaves the mess hall accompanied by one guard. Neil enters a corridor with an elevator at the end of it. Outside the elevator stands another guard who opens the elevator for Neil to enter. Following him, five more men dressed in a similar manner to Neil, enter the elevator. The lift starts it’s slow descent, the only noise that can be heard is that of the old creaky elevator moving until one man standing next to Neil pipes up, “The weather is supposed to be good today...”

The elevator comes to a halt and a guard on the other side opens the shutter for the group of scientists, including Neil. They all shuffle out and enter a large room lined with monitors and lab equipment. Neil heads over to the right side of the room and pulls down a large switch and in an instant the monitors all come to life, across these monitors are various readings and code. All the scientists move to various positions around the room in a rehearsed manner as if they have done this many times before. Neil then moves down to the far end of the room where in front of him is the Infinity chip resting in a secure electro-vault. Dr Alexei Drakovic, part of Neil’s team, approaches him from behind. “Are you sure we’re ready to go? We can delay the launch for another two months.”

Neil looked at him, a frown spread across his face, “No.” Neil said, “Junichi wants results now, he’s getting a lot of pressure from the men upstairs. We launch today, then they’ll get off his back and Junichi will get off ours. I just want to do one more test run.”

Alexei nodded to Neil then turned to his left and took a hold of a microphone sitting on top of a small desk. Alexei raised the microphone to his mouth and addressed everybody else in the room, “Gentlemen, may I have your attention please?”

Everybody came to a halt with what they were doing and turned towards Alexei apart from the people who were unable to see him from their position who looked up at one of the loudspeakers on the wall. Alexei continued his message, “Gentleman, we all know what is at stake today and there is zero room for error. Therefore Dr Rogers has decided to go through another test run, please standby.”

The microphone gave off a small bit of feedback as Alexei placed the microphone down on the desk. He walked back Infinity where Neil was still staring at it, like a rabbit in your headlights. Alexei tried to get Neil’s attention, “Dr Rogers. Are you ready...Dr Rogers?”

Neil did not reply, he was transfixed by Infinity floating gracefully in the electro-vault. Alexei put his hand on Neil’s shoulder which woke him from his trance, “Dr Rogers, are you ready?” Alexei asked.

“Yes. My apologies Dr Drakovic. Can you please boot up the test program?” Neil nodded to Alexei.

Alexei moved to a computer and entered his personal ID number and password. He then booted a program. Neil took a few steps away from the electro-vault and waited. Alexei looked up from his monitor towards Neil, “Dr Rogers. I am ready to proceed.”

“Ok. Initiate please Dr Drakovic.” Neil looked back towards the Infinity chip.

The machines around the electro vault gradually increased in volume and emitted a loud humming noise that filled the room. Suddenly above the electro-vault, the faintest of holograms appeared. Neil turned behind him and shouted towards a group of scientists working in the corner, “We need more power. Push it up to 2.8!”

Neil turned back towards the hologram that gradually gained more colour and became clearer to the eye. The hologram was a luminous blue, it displayed various measurements and statistics, it flicked slightly until the image became stable. The image loomed over Neil and the light illuminated the shady room that the scientists stood in. Neil pulled out a pair of worn out goggles from his inside pocket and put them on, as did several other scientists. The few guards that were in the room stood motionless.

Neil took a step closer to the hologram and then called to it, “Infinity, please state the exact time and date please?”

There was a pause. Nothing could be heard but the humming coming from the computers. Neil waited for a response but nothing came, he turned to Alexei, “Dr Drakovic, is voice enabled?”

Alexei looked down at his monitor, he searched frantically for some kind of answer. Neil grew impatient, “Dr Drakovic?”

Dr Drakovic looked up from the monitor, “Sir, as far as it says here, voice should be enabled. I can’t understand why there is no response.”

Neil frowned and looked back to the hologram, “Infinity. State the correct time and date!”

Suddenly a booming voice replied to Neil’s voice...

Chapter 3 is actually longer than this but I have decided to split it into two sections. When I next post, I will give you Chapter 3 in it's entirety.

Chapter 3 in it's entirety

Chapter 3: The Men Who Made God

Dr Neil Rogers see’s a light up ahead of him. It seems so far away from him, yet he feels like he can literally reach out and grab it. Neil follows it down a long narrow corridor, the walls are blank and when touched, feel cold. He moves faster down the corridor towards the beacon of light that is so enticing to him, as he runs along the corridor he can hear the echo of his footsteps surrounding him. Neil reaches the end of the corridor and he can feel the warmth of the light warming his skin, he reaches out with his hands but to his distress finds some kind of clear transparent wall is blocking him. Neil starts feeling around the transparent wall, looking for some kind of opening that he can use to get to the light but to no avail. He starts to pound on the wall repeatedly, desperate to get to the light. Finally a crack appears and Neil continues to apply force to the crack, slowly it increases in size until finally he breaks a hole in the wall. The light is now burning his skin, but only slightly, it feels heavenly. Suddenly around him, Neil can hear some kind of siren whaling in his eardrums, what has Neil done?

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP. Neil opens his eyes, he’s lying in his sleeping bag. Neil sits up and looks to his left where he finds his girlfriend, Natasha. He wipes the mucus from his eyes and looks at the UV light fixtures in the ceiling beaming down on him. The light fixtures shine down on many more people like him, waking up from their slumber in their sleeping bags. Neil covers his ears to try and block out the noise of the morning wake up call that is bringing everyone to consciousness but finally it comes to an end and the only noise that can be heard is that of sixty to eighty people slowly getting out of their sleeping bags and making their way to the camp bathrooms. “Natasha, wake up.”

Neil gives Natasha a gentle nudge which makes her let out a huge sigh. “Jesus, Neil. What time is it?”

Neil looks at his watch, “It’s 6:30, come on, today’s the big one.”

In the camp bathrooms, men and women are milling about naked, one after the other they all go through the toilets, showers and wash basins, overlooked by several guards dressed in military garments, their goggles cover their eyes, they are anonymous. Neil exits the bathroom and heads back over to a counter on the far side of the mess hall that is now a temporary sleeping quarters. At the counter, two more guards in military uniform hand him a duffel bag. Neil heads back to his sleeping bag and opens up his duffel bag to find his uniform for the coming day. One pair of standard black shoes, one pair of black socks, a pair of black pants, one white shirt and a standard white lab coat. Neil rests his eye glasses on the arch of his nose, he kisses an uninterested Natasha on the cheek, then leaves the mess hall accompanied by one guard. Neil enters a corridor with an elevator at the end of it. Outside the elevator stands another guard who opens the elevator for Neil to enter. Following him, five more men dressed in a similar manner to Neil, enter the elevator. The lift starts it’s slow descent, the only noise that can be heard is that of the old creaky elevator moving until one man standing next to Neil pipes up, “The weather is supposed to be good today...”

The elevator comes to a halt and a guard on the other side opens the shutter for the group of scientists, including Neil. They all shuffle out and enter a large room lined with monitors and lab equipment. Neil heads over to the right side of the room and pulls down a large switch and in an instant the monitors all come to life, across these monitors are various readings and code. All the scientists move to various positions around the room in a rehearsed manner as if they have done this many times before. Neil then moves down to the far end of the room where in front of him is the Infinity chip resting in a secure electro-vault. Dr Alexei Drakovic, part of Neil’s team, approaches him from behind. “Are you sure we’re ready to go? We can delay the launch for another two months.”

Neil looked at him, a frown spread across his face, “No.” Neil said, “Junichi wants results now, he’s getting a lot of pressure from the men upstairs. We launch today, then they’ll get off his back and Junichi will get off ours. I just want to do one more test run.”

Alexei nodded to Neil then turned to his left and took a hold of a microphone sitting on top of a small desk. Alexei raised the microphone to his mouth and addressed everybody else in the room, “Gentlemen, may I have your attention please?”

Everybody came to a halt with what they were doing and turned towards Alexei apart from the people who were unable to see him from their position who looked up at one of the loudspeakers on the wall. Alexei continued his message, “Gentleman, we all know what is at stake today and there is zero room for error. Therefore Dr Rogers has decided to go through another test run, please standby.”

The microphone gave off a small bit of feedback as Alexei placed the microphone down on the desk. He walked back Infinity where Neil was still staring at it, like a rabbit in your headlights. Alexei tried to get Neil’s attention, “Dr Rogers. Are you ready...Dr Rogers?”

Neil did not reply, he was transfixed by Infinity floating gracefully in the electro-vault. Alexei put his hand on Neil’s shoulder which woke him from his trance, “Dr Rogers, are you ready?” Alexei asked.

“Yes. My apologies Dr Drakovic. Can you please boot up the test program?” Neil nodded to Alexei.

Alexei moved to a computer and entered his personal ID number and password. He then booted a program. Neil took a few steps away from the electro-vault and waited. Alexei looked up from his monitor towards Neil, “Dr Rogers. I am ready to proceed.”

“Ok. Initiate please Dr Drakovic.” Neil looked back towards the Infinity chip.

The machines around the electro vault gradually increased in volume and emitted a loud humming noise that filled the room. Suddenly above the electro-vault, the faintest of holograms appeared. Neil turned behind him and shouted towards a group of scientists working in the corner, “We need more power. Push it up to 2.8!”

Neil turned back towards the hologram that gradually gained more colour and became clearer to the eye. The hologram was a luminous blue, it displayed various measurements and statistics, it flicked slightly until the image became stable. The image loomed over Neil and the light illuminated the shady room that the scientists stood in. Neil pulled out a pair of worn out goggles from his inside pocket and put them on, as did several other scientists. The few guards that were in the room stood motionless.

Neil took a step closer to the hologram and then called to it, “Infinity, please state the exact time and date please?”

There was a pause. Nothing could be heard but the humming coming from the computers. Neil waited for a response but nothing came, he turned to Alexei, “Dr Drakovic, is voice enabled?”

Alexei looked down at his monitor, he searched frantically for some kind of answer. Neil grew impatient, “Dr Drakovic?”

Dr Drakovic looked up from the monitor, “Sir, as far as it says here, voice should be enabled. I can’t understand why there is no response.”

Neil frowned and looked back to the hologram, “Infinity. State the correct time and date!”

Suddenly a booming voice replied to Neil’s voice.

The Correct Time Is Seven Hours And Nine Hours. The Current Date Is The Twenty-Fourth Day Of January In The Year Twenty Eighty-Nine Anno Domini.

Neil studied the statistics on display in the hologram image. “Infinity. Why did it take two questions to respond?”

Apologies To You Dr Neil Rodgers. My Motherboard Was Suffering From My Disabled State That I Experienced For One Hundred And Two Hours, Eighty-Seven Minutes and Twelve Seconds. To Prevent This Happening In Future, Please Keep Me On Hibernate Option.

Neil didn’t seem satisfied, he turned to Alexei again. “Dr Drakovic, please find Dr Trezeguet and his team of amateurs and find out why Infinity wasn’t placed in hibernation option.

Dr Rogers. That Is Not Necessary. My Log Will Tell You That The Last User To Access Me Before My Hibernation Was Dr Frederick Mason. It Was His Responsibility.

Neil took his glasses off and wiped his eyes, under his breath he muttered an obscenity about Dr Mason before turning his attention back to Infinity, “Ok Infinity. Please tell me which country currently has the most natural resources?”

Dr Rogers, As You Will No Doubt Be Aware, That Question Cannot Be Answered To A Satisfactory Degree. Until The Connection Is Made Between My Server And The Server Of Every Country On Earth, There Is No Definitive Answer Possible. However Based On My Data That I Currently Have From The Countries That Are Connected Which Are: Algeria. Bolivia. Canada. Chile. France. Germany. North Italy. South Italy. Japan. Libra. The Mauritian States. The United States Of Britain and Ireland. The United States Of America and Mexico. I Can Report That The United States Of America and Mexico Currently Have 12% More Natural Resources Than The Nearest Country Which Is Japan. Would You Like Me To Report Which Natural Resources The United States Of America And Mexico Have?

Neil shook his head, “No, No. That will not be necessary. Infinity I have another question for you. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?”

Dr Rogers. I Have A Message For You From Dr Sun Takanawa Recorded On The Twelfth Day Of March 2075.....This Message Is For The Amateur Who Asked ‘Codename Infinity’ That Simplest Of Questions Asking Which Came First, The Chicken Or The Egg. Thank You For Using Your Extensive Intellect To Pose This Obvious Question To What Will Eventually Be The Knowledge Of Earth Or As Some Of Us Are Whispering Here At Hiroshima Artificial Intelligence Research Facility, God. In Future Please Don’t Mock ‘Codename Infinity’ With These Childish Questions......End Of Message. Would You Like To Hear It Again Dr Rogers.

The entire room erupted in laughter at Dr Rogers being told off by Dr Takanawa via Infinity. It was a rare noise in this era. Dr Rogers himself couldn’t help raise a smile. He had been one of Dr Takanawa’s students twenty years ago. His smile turned into a tear however as he recalled Dr Takanawa’s demise just two years after the message was recorded by her. He regained his composure before getting the attention of everyone. “Ok gentleman. Let’s get back to the test program. We’ve still got a few hours of this to go.

Back upstairs in the mess hall, Natasha was washing her and Neil’s clothes along with the various wives and girlfriends of the men working down below. Natasha was scrubbing a white blouse, one of many that she had when suddenly behind her she heard the laughter of two children. She turned to see them and there in front of her was a young blonde seven year old dressed in a small blue jumpsuit. He was playing with a small brown haired girl, must have been only five. These two were the only children in the facility, they were the children of a Belgian doctor that was working on the facility, their mother was dead and were instead looked after during the day by a carer who was provided by the facility. Natasha couldn’t help but stare at the two children playing hide and seek amongst the camp beds laid out in the mess hall. These two children were a miracle, apart from these two, the youngest person that Natasha had seen before was eighteen years old.

She was suddenly tapped on the shoulder by a young hispanic woman. “Excuse me. Please can I have the clean powder?”

Natasha looked down next to her bowl at the washing powder. She picked it up and handed it to the young woman, “Thank you” she replied.

The woman’s bowl was just a few feet from Natasha’s. Natasha watched the woman start to scrub her clothes. Natasha had never noticed this woman before in the mess hall, but there over one hundred people living in the mess hall so it was forgivable to not know her name or anything about her. The woman looked athletic, especially compared to Natasha who’s skinny frame made her look malnourished. It seemed that the youth and luck was on this woman’s side. The woman then turned to Natasha, “Excuse me?”

Natasha looked away so not to make it clear that she was staring at the young woman, then moved her gaze back to the woman and responded, “Yes?”

The young Hispanic woman thought about what she was going to say before she said it, English was clearly not her first language, “After today. Do you think we can go back up?”

Natasha, thought for a moment. Her viewpoint was bleak but she felt sorry for the young woman and decided to be as positive as possible. “Yes. I think we will.”

A smile spread across the young woman’s face, she extended her hand towards Natasha and introduced herself, “My name is Carla. My husband Richard is a consultant.”

Natasha accepted Carla’s handshake and smiled back at Carla, “Hello. My name is Natasha. My husband is...”

“Yes. I know who your husband is. Richard talks many good things about how smart Dr Rogers is. Carla said, “I hope that soon, my husband and I can return to the surface and...try to raise a family. I hope that soon I can feel the sun on my body...it’s been so long.”

Natasha sympathized with Carla. It had been so long for Natasha as well.

Natasha was born in 2051 in St Petersburg. Her parents died at a young age and she spent most of her early years as part of what she referred to as “A tribe”. A band of young children who moved across Russia, looking for scraps of food and materials to survive the barren wasteland that much of Russia had become. In the Russian Mass Evacuation of 2069, Natasha and a few more members from her tribe were able to escape the cold climate of Russia and found themselves in America. These few members drifted apart and Natasha found herself in Massachusetts two years later where she met Dr Neil Rogers who was studying science and artificial life under his father and uncle. The two fell in love instantly and became civil partners a few years later. Neil often found himself stressed and it was Natasha who was his rock that supported him. In 2075, Neil was recruited into the Infinity program and so Natasha followed him. Three years later it was ordered that all members of the Infinity program and their family members had to move underground into the Infinity Housing facility to avoid the possibility of a Nuclear Strike from a rogue country. It was a hard choice but Natasha believed that what Neil and his colleagues would be doing would one day bring salvation to the world, however she never planned on it taking eleven years of her life.

Now she looked into Carla’s eyes and the two of them had a mutual understanding of what each other felt, they had been waiting eleven years for this day, they both knew that it was only a matter of time before they will be able to return and live their lives as normal as they could.

Dr Neil Rogers surveyed Infinity’s holographic image one last time before turning to Alexei, “Ok Dr Drakovic, put it into hibernation.”

Alexei nodded and then hit a few buttons on his keyboard to put Infinity in hibernation. He then walked over to Neil who was taking off his goggles. “Well sir. Are you content now?”

Neil looked unsatisfied, “No. But it’s the best we can do now. I just need Junichi to come down here. Can you ring him for me?”

Alexei nodded and walked back towards the elevator where the phone was situated. Neil sat on the floor, visibly exhausted with stress. He looked up at the Infinity chip floating in the electro-vault. It bobbed up and down, toying with Neil, teasing him. From across the room, Neil heard Alexei shout “He’s coming Sir.”

Neil sighed.

Edited by Pandazoot