Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (92,817 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Mister Pink

Old Gen Gaming: PS, Xbox, Megadrive, SNES..

Vanzant

0lKYexY.jpg

z5meBfg.jpg

lLrUNBF.jpg

Been restoring consoles for the last Four months. Thought I would share some of these reworked projects here. I do have this fully restored and if anyone wants to see it let me know and I'll get it out of the box and plastic I put it into.

That mess you're looking at is hundreds of dead ants that spiders were killing and feeding off of.

KilnerLUFC

I still play a few PS1 games like Pitfall 3D, Grid Runner, Armored Core, Persona, Fear Effect etc. here and there throughout the year. PS2 I still don't consider retro, but I guess it is getting that way. PS2 is my main system to play on. Never really got into much after the first couple years of the 360/Ps3 Era. the Ps2 has a timeless catalogue and I don't really see games being new and technically superior as a reason to shell out the ridiculous amounts of money for them. The times I have they have left me in a bore...a pretty bore, but a bore.

Said it a while back, but this is essentially why this generation of consoles has been one I never jumped in to (barring the Switch, but I put that it in a different class for obvious reasons), no matter how much I like to game. I'll obviously get a PS4/One when the price comes somewhere around the £100 mark, but as of now, absolutely nothing on the 2 systems has wowed me to the point of instantly wanting it. All these 'major upcoming AAA games' have flopped majorly for the most of them, and I don't want to have to sit through constant updates just because they rushed out a broken game. I only got the Switch because I know Nintendo always go for a different take, and they yet again succeeded for me, hence that's the one I chose, pretty much getting it on day one (well, day one of stock been available).

My retro consoles are the ones I know I can pop a disc in and know I'm going to have fun on a game. The PS2 and Gamecube are so far my favourite in my collection, and I love the games I have for them. The money I've put in to acquiring the collection for these 2 systems could have bought me a PS4 AND a One, but I don't regret it one bit.

PS2 I still don't consider retro...

I know what you mean bud but imagine when the PS2 came out the babies born that year are all nearly 18. To a 17 year old, the PS2 is a console that came out when they were a baby and PS3 and they might have memories of playing it up until around 6 years of age, then PS3 from 6 to 13/14 and now PS4 til now. :p

Even worse when you take this and information and remember buying the brand new PS2 as a teenager...

Nice find man. I take it, it's all in working order? Those consoles from the 90's a built like plastic tanks.

Never in my life has any of the older systems ever broke on me, to an extent. The first SNeS I owned had a dodgy power pack, and thus was gotten rid of (parents obviously didn't understand...), and my PS2 once had to be replaced because the lens went, but apart from that they've always stood the test of time for me.

HOUSTON_SHERIFF

I recently bought a launch day original 60GB PS3 with PS2 backwards compatibility from a seller who had the console for 11 years and decided to put it up for sale because he no longer had a use for it. I saw the console on the app called OfferUp and it was just $100 so I immediately sent the seller a message saying I was interested and after a short talk with the guy I went to buy the console from him the next day. I already had a PS3 slim but it was kinda useless because the disc reader malfunctioned for some reason and could only play downloaded games so I decided to go old school and get the original one since I didnt like the newer versions that much. If Im not mistaken, there VERY FEW of these original consoles left in existence so I feel kinda lucky to own one for that reason, for others when did you get your first PS3?

2i1nl2q.jpg

Heres a pic of the actual console

33vbtqf.jpg

The Manufacture date of this PS3 was October 2006 about a month before its official release, when the owner sold it he told me he made modifications to it to ensure it never fails because these things were NOTORIOUS for getting the Yellow Light Of Death at the time.

5foioo.jpg

Heres the previous PS3 I owned, as you can see its all crapped out

bloatedsack

60gb?

I had a launch edition 20gb model until April 2016 when the blu-ray drive failed. I still had the 20gb drive in the sled, but had previously replaced it with a scavenged 300gb drive that was propped up on pieces of tape so it wouldn't wiggle in there.

Sold the whole thing to my coworker for $30 who replaced the BR drive and is still using it.

Did mine have that little flip up front? If so, I never even knew it was in there.

Edited by bloatedsack

HOUSTON_SHERIFF

60gb?

I had a launch edition 20gb model until April 2016 when the blu-ray drive failed. I still had the 20gb drive in the sled, but had previously replaced it with a scavenged 300gb drive that was propped up on pieces of tape so it wouldn't wiggle in there.

Sold the whole thing to my coworker for $30 who replaced the BR drive and is still using it.

Did mine have that little flip up front? If so, I never even knew it was in there.

Nope The 20GB model didnt have that flipper, HDMI port on the back, and no WiFi support. Only the 60GB model had that flip. Edited by HOUSTON_SHERIFF

Fallcreek

Man, look at that fossil haha. It's crazy to think it's been 11 years since it's launch.

Nico

I have never been into consoles but still remember the time when this was brand new. In my country, a PS3 was much more of a luxury item than a PS4 is now. Everyone has PS4 consoles now, but by the time PS3 hit our local market they were very rare and only a few had them. Due to import costs set by the previous government we were never able to afford it, my brother got his PS2 new in 2007 and he jumped directly to PS4 in 2015.

Official GTAF Crew

60gb?

Nope The 20GB model didnt have that flipper, HDMI port on the back, and no WiFi support. Only the 60GB model had that flip.

It had an HDMI port, but you're right on the lack of wifi and I'm going to assume the flip up panel since I never saw it.

But it definatly had HDMI, coz that's how I used it. It was also all black, I notice the one in the picture is a chrome face.

Edited by GTAF Crew Events

Vanzant

You are mistaken...there are plenty of these consoles left. There's plenty of these out there and the $100 bucks you paid is the general local price. Ebay sales are around that up to $150.00. I never owned the stock version. I got the FAT version after that.

Going back to Ebay though...buying a PS3 without specifying "backwards compatibility" you CAN net one for around $60.00 if you search around enough.

LittleBlueTroll

I got the 40gb one not too long after it came out. I was only 15 at the time and working on weekends setting up market stalls and taking them down of an evening, I got paid £40 a week cash in hand, and it seemed to take forever and a day to save up for that. I ended up getting mine in a supermarket called Asda.

I never understood why the 40gb model had a plastic silver trim, as opposed to that nicer chrome trim on the 60gb model :blink:

Mister Pink

Merged topic about PS3 in to this one and renamed topic from Retro Gaming to Old Gen Gaming

KilnerLUFC

To this day, the PS3 is still my least favourite console of all time. Yes, admittedly I never got in to it until a few years ago as I had an X360 and that was my main gaming console, but I picked one up purely to go through the exclusives that it had to offer, and it's still hard for me to feel any urge to play the console at all. Out of all systems I've played, it seems like the slowest one going. It's not even my internet speeds as my PS3 and X360 are in the same place, but each update for the games takes a life time. I remember it took me almost an hour, if not more, just to get in to the first race on Gran Turismo 5, nd by that time I'd become bored and turned it off.

I'm going to force myself in to the PS3 at some point just to blast through the exclusives though. Uncharted seemed pretty fun from what I played of it.

Tokasmoka

Ah the days when you had to blow on that Street Fighter II cartridge to ensure it worked.

Algonquin Assassin

You know something Ive always regretted since gaming has taken up a huge chunk of my life (Lets say about 28 years) is Ive never owned a Nintendo console.

Infact other than playing Goldeneye: 007 on my cousins N64 back in the day my knowledge of Nintendo products is almost next to nothing. I used to have a DS and GBA, but didnt have them for very long.

I guess I could pick up an old Nintendo console from a trader with some classics, but it wouldnt be the same as experiencing them in their heyday. The Sony/Microsoft fanboy in me was just too damn high for my younger self..:(

Edited by Algonquin Assassin

∴

I'd recommend picking up GameCube. There's still magic to be found on that console.

KilnerLUFC

I'd recommend picking up GameCube. There's still magic to be found on that console.

I 2nd this. I don't exactly play my Gamecube as much as I'd hope to due to other consoles been in my main room, and older consoles been in a spare room, but there are some true gems for the console, and was sadly underrated, mainly due to the disc size meaning many games had to be cut down to appear on the console. The only downside to trying to get in to retro Nintendo gaming is that the exclsuive titles for the consoles can still fetch a pretty penny. I still haven't got Luigi's Mansion for my Gamecube due to it been almost the same price as a newer game in present time, and current funds don't justify it at all. My last 'big spend' for the Gamecube was Twilight Princess, a game that still goes for like £50-60, which may seem like pennies to some, but at the time was quite a big purchase for me. Put it this way, I have like 8/9 games for my Gamecube, and yet could probably get more money for it than my whole Xbox 360 collection.

But yeah, the Gamecube truly has some amazing games for it.

At the expense of sounding old yet again, the only problem with getting in to Retro games as a younger kid is that graphics are the main forefront of todays gaming, whereas a lot of Nintendo's magic was from the gameplay, the storytelling, the atmosphere, the music...the overall experience.

Femme Fatale

Sometimes I wish I took the Gamecube road instead of PS2 then XBox when the 6th generation hit. It had plenty of cool exclusive games released for it.

KilnerLUFC

Sometimes I wish I took the Gamecube road instead of PS2 then XBox when the 6th generation hit. It had plenty of cool exclusive games released for it.

That's the problem though. The exclusive titles for the Gamecube were absolutely amazing, but the PS2 had a bigger and more varied library of games, hence I always had both of them. Was never a big fan of the Gamecube controller, so tended to buy the majority of titles for the PS2, and just stick to exclusives for the Gamecube. Hopefully one day I'll be able to have enough spre cash to pick up the likes of MGS:Twin Snakes, Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, Starfox, Metroid etc.

Vanzant

I got a bunch of Gameboys all of which has battery leakage on the inside ( Which is why they won't power on ) and over half of them had minor to major issues with dead lines. I have disassembled, cleaned and used my solder gun to fix the lines. I got these for around $4.00 each and now I can turn them out for about $30.00.

6YBFYn4.jpg

2PQI2j0.jpg

Xi9LK6E.jpg

G9B5csf.jpg

KilnerLUFC

Had an idea brewing for some time now, but realise the reality of it is rendering my idea kind of pointless and putting me off. Had a bit of a nostalgia trip, and wanted to get in to collecting old school gaming magazines and demo discs, mainly the demo discs that came with PSX and PS2 mags. Now, realty tells me that back in the day, the people who bought these didn't really think of future value so just threw them away, or the discs are that old that they are now rendered obsolete (whereas games were of more value to gamers so better looked after).

No idea what it is, but I miss the days of getting my weekly/monthly gaming mags, sitting in awe at watching/playing the demos and reading the articles for hours on end. Yes, we have the internet now so thus no need to really buy magazines (I do occasionally buy Retro Gamer or special editions).

Not asking to buy, but has anyone n here actually got any old editions?

trip

I have Computer Gaming World going back to the days of Johnny Wilson. I just wanted to name drop that because that dates back to the early 90's. CGW ended up get rebranded to GFW(games for windows) but it was the same staff and format so all was good. I had my subscription all the way till the death of Ziff Davis and print magazines.

I may edit in a pic. I think I still have some crazy demo discs around...even ones that came in cereal.

KilnerLUFC

I have Computer Gaming World going back to the days of Johnny Wilson. I just wanted to name drop that because that dates back to the early 90's. CGW ended up get rebranded to GFW(games for windows) but it was the same staff and format so all was good. I had my subscription all the way till the death of Ziff Davis and print magazines.

I may edit in a pic. I think I still have some crazy demo discs around...even ones that came in cereal.

Demo Discs...in cereal?

purevil101

For those of you who want to restore yellowed plastic consoles back to white.

1x cheap bleach, I used Morrisons own brand at 39p - 2 litres.

Mix 2 ltrs of bleach with 2 ltrs of cold water

Place casing in the mix and leave for 20 mins or so. Clean the surface with a cheap, firm toothbrush half way through the soak and at the end.

Clean the casing with detergent and rinse with cold water, leave to dry.

Repeat the above process to take off a layer if needed.

Before destroying my console I tested the above on a old printer

IMG_038.jpg

KilnerLUFC

Anyone know which version of the PS2 is supposed to be the most reliable? Got on a serious nostalgic need the other day and went to play on the PS2, only for it to suddenly not be playing any games, which I'm utting down to the laser been worn out and screwed. Since it's still one of my favourite consoles, I'm after buying another PS2, but is the Slim version the most reliable one? Got 2 of them now (1 has a dodgy power slot, other now has a broken laser) so need one that will last me...which seems annoying since the PS2 was one I always rated as been highly reliable after so many years.

I'd go for that BC PS3 but I know they're both rare and very unreliable.

Vanzant

When it comes to slim models I've worked on the SCPH-70012 is the model that seems to have less problems playing most titles. It didn't seem to be a fan of ScarFace "The world is yours" and that was not just one slim unit console it was out of three.

I've had many different PS2 consoles and by reliability I'd going with either the SCPH-39001 or the SCPH-30001-R.

Now the 39001 is best of both BUT all Six units I have on hand do the same thing with component cables, it likes to start up the consoles in black and white causing me to set/reset the connections over and over again to get a crystal clear signal. Sometimes this works once or it may take 20 times. Not fun if you're in a hurry to play games. This might be just my TV...except...

The 30001-R works with component cables the first time every time. This console works well with most games but it doesn't care much for older black / blue bottomed discs.

KilnerLUFC

When it comes to slim models I've worked on the SCPH-70012 is the model that seems to have less problems playing most titles. It didn't seem to be a fan of ScarFace "The world is yours" and that was not just one slim unit console it was out of three.

I've had many different PS2 consoles and by reliability I'd going with either the SCPH-39001 or the SCPH-30001-R.

Now the 39001 is best of both BUT all Six units I have on hand do the same thing with component cables, it likes to start up the consoles in black and white causing me to set/reset the connections over and over again to get a crystal clear signal. Sometimes this works once or it may take 20 times. Not fun if you're in a hurry to play games. This might be just my TV...except...

The 30001-R works with component cables the first time every time. This console works well with most games but it doesn't care much for older black / blue bottomed discs.

Did a little reading up, and didn't actually realise how many revisions of the Slim, hell even the PS2 itself, were made. Looking at the back of the console, I have the SCPH-75003 version, and from a little reading online, this was the last version before they made major changes to the interior components, including the lens itself, since a whole ton of PS2's had lens problems. Was also the version that seems to have the most issues regarding reading certain titles. I never even thought to check all this information out before buying a PS2 console, so at least I know for the future now.

The version you refer to is the older, fat model of the PS2, and just for it been the sake of an older version, I try to stay away from buying a fat version. Like any piece of technology, you always go for the later versions because you know they have all the improvements.

Going to be a sad day when all the PS2 models just become worn out and defunct.

Vanzant

Most laser disc based consoles will quit and I would estimate 1/3 already has. But the good news is 2/3 of those I can personally repair without having to replace the laser disc assembly. I find the problem with most is re-greasing the moving parts and sometime replacing the plastic cogs with new ones or simply making sure those parts are cleaned out. The Two biggest failures I get brought in is the Original PS1's and Dreamcasts.

Neon_Dreaming

I dug out my Gamecube to play some F Zero GX. The speed of that game is intense. Someday i'l finish the story mode but it's so hard. I also have Wind Waker. At one point I had the limited edition version of Wind Waker which came with Ocarina of Time which I stupidly traded in.

robotman5

Anyone still game on PS3?

Vanzant

Anyone still game on PS3?

I haven't plugged in mine for 2 years and that was to play Red Dead Redemption.