GTAForums Sidebar Remover

Edmachine

GTAForums Sidebar Remover

Version 1.0

Works on Firefox and Chrome! Other browsers not tested.

This is a Greasemonkey script I made. It provides the end user with the ability to remove the sidebar for more than one page-load, and, on some skins, with the ability to do it at all.

I've noticed, that some users do not want the sidebar, so this is for them. And this is also what a boring Saturday can do to you.

-[ Install here ]

-[ Changelog ]

--[ 1.1 ]

---[ 1 ] Added support for GTANET 2k4+ skin.

-[ Skin support ]:

--[ * ] AfterFuture

--[ * ] Conventional AfterFuture

--[ * ] Conventional

--[ * ] Conventional GTANET

--[ * ] Conventional Militant

--[ * ] GTA3.com

--[ * ] GTALibertyCityStories.net

--[ * ] GTANET 2k4

--[ * ] GTANET 2k4 lite

--[ * ] GTANET 2k4 Xmas

--[ * ] GTANET 2k4+ (default skin)

--[ * ] GTASanAndreas.net

--[ * ] GTAVice.com

--[ * ] Hashcake

--[ * ] Invision Power Board*

--[ * ] South Side Hoodz

--[ * ] The Connection

*The Invision Power Board skin does not have a sidebar.

-[ Installation ]

If you don't have the Greasemonkey add-on, download it here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748

--[ 1 ]Go to this page and click "Install".

user posted image

--[ 2 ] Wait 3 seconds and click "Install".

user posted image

--[ 3 ] If all goes well, you should see this message.

user posted image

--[ 4 ] Right-click on the Greasemonkey icon in the Status bar and click "Manage User Scripts".

user posted image

--[ 5 ] Select GTAForums Sidebar Remover and click "Edit".

user posted image

Note: if you've never used Greasemonkey before, you will need to specify a text editor. Navigate to the .exe of your favourite text editor (Notepad on XP - C:\WINDOWS\notepad.exe).

--[ 6 ] Edit the settings to your preference.

user posted image

-[ Instructions ]

To turn on the sidebar, change the SIDEBAR variable to 0. To turn it on again, change it to 1. You also need to change the SKIN variable to your skin. To check which number corresponds to your skin, check the Skin Support section in the script file (e.g., GTANET 2k4+ (the default forum skin) is 11). Save the file. The next time you open a GTAForums page, the sidebar shouldn't be there.

If you spot any bugs, please let me know here or by PM. All comments, questions and criticism are welcomed. smile.gif

Edited by Edmachine

We will be the arms that lift you up oqKntbC.gifWe will be the hand that strike you down

Thanks Ed. icon14.gif

I don't have a problem with the sidebar ATM but it's good to know that this is available for those who do.

I'm surprise I'm the second one to post. Com'on peeps where is the love?

Thanks champ, you're a lifesaver. I hope there'll be a mobile version down the line, if the Mozilla folks ever do decide to release Firefox on iOS systems.

icon14.gif

Yq5y51Y.png

@pcguytech_2005: WD/P has never been loved much. tounge.gif

@Gronf: Glad I could help. Although, I doubt they'll add extension support for mobile devices. And even then I doubt Greasemonkey will be ported for it. But hey, hope dies last.

We will be the arms that lift you up oqKntbC.gifWe will be the hand that strike you down

Thanks for this. I usually run Firefox split screen with iTunes or whatever else I'm using, so the extra space is nice.

Thanks for spending time to make this. It's useful if someone has stretched the page.

• 3 months later...
nightwalker83

Cool! I'll have a look at this when I get home.

• 3 weeks later...

I did get to replicate the problem, however, upon trying to inspect it, it reverted back to normal. Current solution: just reload the page. I don't know why it would do that so randomly, so that makes it rather difficult to pin-point the source of the problem.

Do you think you might have removed something from the sidebar, you shouldn't have? I think it's the sidebar.

- Leo

I think I might have removed the sidebar, which is the main goal of the script. tounge.gif

But if you do not experience this annoyingly often, you can just refresh the page and continue browsing. smile.gif

It's actually happens more often when I move the mouse or make an action before the page finishes loading.

- Leo

• 3 weeks later...

New version!

v1.1

-[ Changelog ]

--[ 1 ] Added support for GTANET 2k4+ skin.

Install here

Remember to re-adjust the skin you use according to the list! I forgot about that when testing and thought I had broken it all, but it actually works like it should. smile.gif