DYOM The Designers Lounge

General Scrotum

3 hours ago, RedBaronFromTheUG said:

It's sad to see his channel end like this...

Oh thank god he got it back.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is the start of the year, people getting busy with works and other commitment. I want to express myself on the current situation on DYOM.

DYOM may not gained a lot of popularity for a long time ever since V.8.1 released back in Feb 2014. Yet people are just not bothered by it and simply expressed their creativity. Some of us managed to be here to promote our own projects for others to see and interact with other DYOM designers. I admit that my works do have a lot grammatical errors and little to no plot progression. Time goes by, most of us may improved and are now experienced with DYOM. But that is another story for another time.

So last year, 2022. DYOM's popularity suddenly gained traction. No one in DYOM community were expecting a GTA speedrunner making a hour-long DYOM run. Thanks to DYOM randomiser, Joshimuz's venture to DYOM gains a lot of popularity and new fans are now introduced to a mod where they can make their own mission.

However, it does prove a point. DYOM-related videos that uploaded in YouTube before Joshimuz's entry are mostly likely suffered in view count and popularity. Aznkei's channel is one example, people didn't take any interest on DYOM videos that uploaded by someone they might think unpopular.

I could say, it took us a long time to have a popular GTA speedrunner to introduce a new generation of fans who is now keen on DYOM.

In my opinion, popularity sure do bring new creativity to the board. The senior and older generations of DYOM designers who are likely retired or busy with reality, may not worried now, as the new generations (mostly Joshimuz's fans) may bring something new into the table. But it doesn't mean we should fully relied on them, you can still design missions at your own accordance. Trust me, you are not a game developer.

To summarise all of them, DYOM may have a small blink of hope to remain as popular mod that filled with the active communities. However, I do hope that the current DYOM designers may use their creativity to express themselves. We are designing missions to have fun, not to race among ourselves.

Try to design any mission, you don't need to announce any new project of yours. Just one mission and once you are finished, you will feel proud (or disappointed that you forget to disable wanted levels before playing it) of yourself that you created a mission.

I agree with everything you said. I hope the website gets fixed as soon as possible because not having a place to share and get feeback on your projects will unmotivate newcomers from continuing to use dyom...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Toriality said:

I agree with everything you said. I hope the website gets fixed as soon as possible because not having a place to share and get feeback on your projects will unmotivate newcomers from continuing to use dyom...

I'm starting to think the website won't actually be fixed and that the community will need to either make a new website or start posting their missions on GTAForums.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedBaronFromTheUG said:

I'm starting to think the website won't actually be fixed and that the community will need to either make a new website or start posting their missions on GTAForums.

Because, think with me for a moment, the people who run the website are the creators themselves, and they are living their life normally, unaware of what's happening in the community because they forgot that their creation even exists, so if you take that into account, the fact that you can't keep a website running forever unless you're a billionaire of some sort, and their lack of interest on something they once loved and you start realizing how such maintenance process could possibly not come to fruition.

Edited by RedBaronFromTheUG

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Stardust101

Hello everyone. I'm very ecstatic to announce that today, April 1st 2023, I've married the love of my life, Yasa. We love each other so much and we want to spend the rest of our lives together.

marriage.jpg

bananaking13

Would anybody be interested in beta testing for an upcoming MP? If your contribution is significant, I'll mark the project as a collaboration project.

PM me if interested.

EDIT: Do we really have to verify our Discord accounts by logging on to a social media account and giving another app access to our accounts? Do we just hate getting new members so much we don't want them to talk in Discord?

Edited by bananaking13

3 hours ago, bananaking13 said:

Do we really have to verify our Discord accounts by logging on to a social media account and giving another app access to our accounts? Do we just hate getting new members so much we don't want them to talk in Discord?

This was done as a security measure after various server raids by alt accounts of banned members.

bananaking13
8 hours ago, RithRake24 said:

This was done as a security measure after various server raids by alt accounts of banned members.

Discord has a Report Raid button and besides many big servers dont have this restrictive measures anyway

5 hours ago, bananaking13 said:

Discord has a Report Raid button and besides many big servers dont have this restrictive measures anyway

My friend, you severely underestimate the power of young kids with lots of time on their hands and dynamic IP. These guys never tire - no amount of reporting will ever make them stop. Trust us, we've tried.

Other big communities may not need such measures not only because they have much much larger moderation teams, but also because they tend to have more mature rulebreakers. Sounds ridiculous I know, but it's true. 

The John David

I heard the DYOM Website got fixed. Gladly to hear about this news, showing that the community's still alive. 😊 💯

• Like 3

Hi friends, 

Since it has been over a year and half since my last released mission, and quite some time since you have heard from me, I figured I should post a little update with regards to the T13 Universe and myself. 

Its now ten years ago that I became active in this community and I have seen many acclaimed designers post a farewell message. Some of them even came back, and then bid us farewell again. And then came back again. It's Jimmy. I'm talking about Jimmy.

Either way, I'm not going to do that. This is not a farewell message, simply because we never know what's to come. But that being said, at least for the foreseeable future I am done. I'm currently focusing on graduation, spending time with people I care about and writing a book.

I'm really proud of what I managed to do with the T13U and I think, despite it being far from finished I am leaving its story in a good place. Carnage and Agents of E.D.E.N.: Christmas Rescue are good indications of where it was all headed. (Send me a PM if you're interested in a summary of how the story was going to end)

I also look back fondly at the time I spend with all of you, chatting and playing your missions. With all these new addons and new faces around here, I'm sure exciting things are coming.

Rith, Andrej, Zeko. THBP, and all who I forgot to name, you guys are awesome and I hope you're doing well. And to everyone else, if I can leave you with one thing... stop being little assholes to each other. This community is about our passion for creativity and being able to share that with each other. Just try and remember that sometimes.

So that's it from me, for now. But who knows maybe I'll be back!

-T13

@Target13 Thank you for inspiring so many of us in this community. Your works will always have a special place in the DYOM space, and I wish you all the best in expressing your vast creativity in other formats, such as the book you mentioned you're writing. I will miss all our interactions and your reviews and encouragement that I believed helped me grow into a better storyteller. As someone who is involved in creative activities as a passion, particularly filmmaking, I believe I have several valuable things to take away from all the conversations we've had.

In the chaotic world that is DYOM, you have always been to me an agent of positivity. I hope for you to be able to spread that same positivity wherever life takes you, and I wish you well for your future. Certainly do spend time with the people that matter most to you, and congratulations for your graduation!

On 4/6/2023 at 3:55 AM, Target13 said:

Since it has been over a year and half since my last released mission

I decided to take a look back at my profile - and realised that in 5 days time, it will be 3 years since my last uploaded mission. (I have made a couple of missions since then, for WPM2, which haven't been released since I'd been adamant to release WPM2 as a whole. As of now, I've been finding myself so busy that I don't know when that will happen, if ever)

On 4/6/2023 at 3:55 AM, Target13 said:

It's Jimmy. I'm talking about Jimmy.

Spoiler

Jimmy occasionally popping back into DYOM:
Better Call Saul' Slowly Reveals Its Hand (TV REVIEW) - Glide Magazine

• Like 2
  • KEKW 1

Alan Eastwood

@Target13 

I hope you succeed at everything you do, and I can just wish you good in your next chapter in life. 

• Like 2

spacer.png

hello fellas

just finished my MP and i wanted to share with everyone, if you are interested you can check out about it in this link

thank you 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, it's quite quiet in here 😎

How are you all doing?

bS8xA.png

Stardust101
1 hour ago, PatrickW said:

Hi guys, it's quite quiet in here 😎

How are you all doing?

Hey Patrick. I'm doing alright. There isn't much going on in the community right now. We're just waiting for MOTW to return.

• Like 2

Hey Stardust101, good to hear. I'm sure it will come around soon, but that shouldn't stop the activity here in the lounge. 🤪

• Like 2
bS8xA.png

Stardust101
4 minutes ago, PatrickW said:

Hey Stardust101, good to hear. I'm sure it will come around soon, but that shouldn't stop the activity here in the lounge. 🤪

Yeah, the Lounge doesn't get much activity nowadays. Us designers now reunite in the Discord server, and there's a lot of inactivity there as well.

Edited by Stardust101
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Stardust101 said:

Yeah, the Lounge doesn't get much activity nowadays. Us designers now reunite in the Discord server, and there's a lot of inactivity there as well.

I noticed, activity tends to go up and down, but if people are active, it also invites others to join in, and before you know, there's a party..  and who can say "no" to a party 🎉

bS8xA.png

DuckingHeight's MOTW #221 Entry, "Warped Night of Party" promo:

WackyNightNewspaper.png

Edited by RedBaronFromTheUG
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Toriality said:

That's amazing work @RedBaronFromTheUG. It's so well written and immersive.

This gave me some cool ideas for MOTW...

Thanks!

That's great, very happy that i was able to give you brainstorm ideas.

• Like 1

The John David

spacer.png

Coming At June...

Spoiler

Going to remake this project of mine created back at 2015 for a better complete catalog storytelling, as well as adding some missed contents from the sequels. 

Edited by The John David
  • Like 2