DYOM The Designers Lounge

General Scrotum

Stardust101

All this talk about DYOM having an extremely small community has gotten old a long time ago. Can we all just stop talking about the same trash over and over again?

DYOM is not dying out, it's just a really niche community that doesn't get much visibility outside it's circles, but so what? We don't need huge numbers, we need cool members that like this mod.

I'd say the DYOM community is doing pretty well these days. Heck, we've just realized a mission contest we've haven't done for years! We've literally got a whole new unofficial version of DYOM and tons of addons available that we didn't have back in the "good old days of this community."

Come on guys, let's stop this argument once and for all. It was already annoying a long time ago, and even more these days.

14 minutes ago, Leon Luther said:

That's most likely a bot comment or a sub botted channel

Lol, fair point :D Guy had like 30k views on his videos tho.

Springfield
22 hours ago, The John David said:

I'm starting to get the same sympathy what @Springfield said. Even though this community's no longer had the manpower to increase its popularity demand? But we've never expect to have a great things like this to happen in the post-future before, such as having a new version of DYOM that isn't officially approved by the developers but permission is fully granted. Honestly, I'm quite surprise a bit these days that there are more new members visiting this old community, giving guidelines and advices. But what concerns me here is none of them showing no signs of passion and creativity to distribute? So yeah, I hate to say this but DYOM has also lost its productivity manner no matter what kind of cosmetic remarks or assumptions to add up? It changed nothing to the community.

Pretty much things to agree upon. I have been busy lately and barely got time for the what's up; the expression of what my perspective is in regards to the downfall is still out there. However, some kind of sympathy is still lurking around here and a guy like me who visits here once in a blue moon would only be passionate to go through all classical missions made during its golden age (surely 5-7 years ago). Those horror series of DYOM, best pinned missions or most rated/commented mission packs all do possess a different nostalgia feelings till today and no matter how many times I visit, I would still be there looking for these memories. Maybe, this is the only kind of sympathy that we will never abandon or get exhausted by.  

Edited by Springfield
  • Like 2

The John David
14 hours ago, Toriality said:

What do you define as signs of passion and creativity to distribute?

Most of the old/new designers back long years ago? The community's treating like a library book of lessons for people about innovating through designing, other people I've met and talk like Heisenberg_GR, ProDz, Grand_Dyom, and other senior designers are giving a strong sense of motivation for their projects to inspire other newcomers to contribute something they've learned about this community. To put it simply, it's like researching then invent that special thing that people doesn't know about but you. By sharing that innovation of yours at them in unique ways would blow their mind how they did all these stuffs by themselves, how they manage to completed it in several days/weeks/months, allowing people to give positive/negative feedbacks and some suggestions to improve for their next project in the future.

Spoiler

You can refute me what I've said. But for now! I'm going to take my accusations back and learn the consequences this time, since I'm the one who's wrong here. I really mean it!

I simply think you both are being too nostalgic. And it's OK.

There are still designers out there that also has this effort while creating new misisons and a sense of contribution along with learning through feedbacks. I can't, however, compare the quality of the projects because I wasn't part of the community back then, so you can be right at this point.

3 hours ago, The John David said:

You can refute me what I've said. But for now! I'm going to take my accusations back and learn the consequences this time, since I'm the one who's wrong here. I really mean it!

We're just sharing opnions. Possibly there's no right or wrong here, just the feelings we have with this mod.

And just to clarify, I may be sounding like I think this community has zero flaws nowdays, this is far from what I think. I have my criticism on some aspects, specially in toxicity and lack of respect towards others, but I rather not talk about it yet.

Edited by Toriality

Watched the full video, best livestream I've seen so far. I used to watch Josh and Hugo One's runs a few years ago.

This video is awesome and interestingly shows us some interesting statistics of DYOM that we kinda already know: many users are non-english speakers, most missions are set up in Los Santos, and people love making kill-the-ballas-high-health-no-headshot objectives.

I think he is going to do it again next weekend! Can't wait to see it.

Also: @Target13

spacer.png

Edited by Toriality

1 hour ago, Toriality said:

spacer.png

it is incredibly unfortunate that his chat reacted so violently towards a mission taken out of context just because it deals with certain themes and characters use certain words, but otherwise the video is great and I hope Josh delves more into individual projects rather than just a gauntlet of random missions

Edited by Satourn

2 hours ago, Toriality said:

spacer.png

A terrible mission to play alone without the broader context of the mission-pack... 😅 Gave me a good chuckle though. I would have had reacted the same.

• KEKW 1
  • Realistic Steak! 1

He uploaded this video one hour ago, it's from a test livestream made before the official one posted yesterday.

His tool allows him to pick Random Mission? When he's selecting missions I see title "Random Mission", is that automated tool? That's so cool if it does, lol

1 hour ago, Horus Publishing said:

His tool allows him to pick Random Mission? When he's selecting missions I see title "Random Mission", is that automated tool? That's so cool if it does, lol

it's one of the features of the Rainbomizer mod

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The John David said:

mt78cRG.png

Coming Soon...

Very excited

• Like 1

Thats insane, how our video-translating title & description can further get us! Indonesia heard about DYOM IX :) (funny reactions from this guy)

And for last this Turkish gameplay :) 

Btw, DYOM is most popular in Indonesia ;) 

And for very last, very interesting videos about Turret Mode usage in Planes :D 

Edited by Horus Publishing

The Odyssey

Wait Joshimuz played DYOM on stream? As someone use to love both DYOM and watching his speedruns this is very intriguing to me.  Seeing him react to an out of context Jimmy Leppard mission was pretty hilarious ngl.

I hope you're all doing well btw :) Nice to see some of the senior designers are still here. Kinda makes me want to pick up DYOM again, been getting super into screenwriting lately and there's times I'm tempted to write a script for a mission pack...

Edited by The Odyssey
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, The Odyssey said:

Wait Joshimuz played DYOM on stream? As someone use to love both DYOM and watching his speedruns this is very intriguing to me.  Seeing him react to an out of context Jimmy Leppard mission was pretty hilarious ngl.

I hope you're all doing well btw :) Nice to see some of the senior designers are still here. Kinda makes me want to pick up DYOM again, been getting super into screenwriting lately and there's times I'm tempted to write a script for a mission pack...

There are also new versions of DYOM - so feel free explore the forum, and also wb

Fellow designers,

I've always had an idea in my mind to do something interesting in DYOM community. And I've had a idea of making prized DYOM tournament (around 240$, 300$ prizepool) organized by me and my team. What would you think? This can be a great idea?

I thought about having an OG designers as "judges" who would judge the missions based on few factors, on our own made "website" - that would sum up the votes & stats. People would be able to also judge but for the limited time (by like an "Internet Vote", you wouldn't be able to vote for yourself but you could vote for other mission). There would be a 1,2 or 3 month time, to do a mission in the genre specified by the organizer. The voting factors for judges would be:

- Objects, sprite placement (if they're placed in the correct / cool / weird / uncanny ways)

- Dialogue pronunciation (if it has errors / if it's perfect / minor mistakes / major mistakes)

- Length of the mission (if its long and boring / if its long and satisfying / if its very bad / if its medium)

- Difficulty of the mission (acceptable difficulty / hard difficulty, can't be passed / too easy difficulty)

- Story of the mission (if it's logical / unlogical, if its interesting / boring / too basic)

Applicable bonus points for:

- Audio

- Usage of DYOM addons

- Usage of skin, weapon & vehicle modifications (+ if it will be in a very logical way - to fit the story maybe you can get even more points)

Judges would vote in these "factors" from 1/100 - i know each judge would have very different voting strat, so it's a full leeway to give each category an ammount of points, that dont exceed 100 - basically 100 points would be a perfect factor point, 75-95 would be very good, etc. etc.

If you would be interested in that idea, we can make it happen in the future, but also what would you suggest if you were organizing this kind of thing? Let me know.

Jimmy_Leppard
On 6/1/2022 at 10:41 AM, The Odyssey said:

I haven't been here in a while. Do you mind giving me a timestamp of when that happens? :D Which video is it even? I'd love to see it, but I can't find it!

Edited by Jimmy_Leppard

33 minutes ago, Jimmy_Leppard said:

I haven't been here in a while. Do you mind giving me a timestamp of when that happens? :D Which video is it even? I'd love to see it, but I can't find it!

Ofc. Here you go:

3 hours ago, Horus Publishing said:

Fellow designers,

I've always had an idea in my mind to do something interesting in DYOM community. And I've had a idea of making prized DYOM tournament (around 240$, 300$ prizepool) organized by me and my team. What would you think? This can be a great idea?

I thought about having an OG designers as "judges" who would judge the missions based on few factors, on our own made "website" - that would sum up the votes & stats. People would be able to also judge but for the limited time (by like an "Internet Vote", you wouldn't be able to vote for yourself but you could vote for other mission). There would be a 1,2 or 3 month time, to do a mission in the genre specified by the organizer. The voting factors for judges would be:

- Objects, sprite placement (if they're placed in the correct / cool / weird / uncanny ways)

- Dialogue pronunciation (if it has errors / if it's perfect / minor mistakes / major mistakes)

- Length of the mission (if its long and boring / if its long and satisfying / if its very bad / if its medium)

- Difficulty of the mission (acceptable difficulty / hard difficulty, can't be passed / too easy difficulty)

- Story of the mission (if it's logical / unlogical, if its interesting / boring / too basic)

Applicable bonus points for:

- Audio

- Usage of DYOM addons

- Usage of skin, weapon & vehicle modifications (+ if it will be in a very logical way - to fit the story maybe you can get even more points)

Judges would vote in these "factors" from 1/100 - i know each judge would have very different voting strat, so it's a full leeway to give each category an ammount of points, that dont exceed 100 - basically 100 points would be a perfect factor point, 75-95 would be very good, etc. etc.

If you would be interested in that idea, we can make it happen in the future, but also what would you suggest if you were organizing this kind of thing? Let me know.

That's a brillant idea. Kinda hard to see it happening tho, but I'd love to.

I'd only suggest to not get complicated in the rules, like no "You need to have minimum of 100 objects in your missions" rule. This will bring more participants to the tournament, I my opinion.

Jimmy_Leppard
1 hour ago, Horus Publishing said:

Ofc. Here you go:

I found it! Thanks! 😃

Edited by Jimmy_Leppard

41 minutes ago, Toriality said:

That's a brillant idea. Kinda hard to see it happening tho, but I'd love to.

I'd only suggest to not get complicated in the rules, like no "You need to have minimum of 100 objects in your missions" rule. This will bring more participants to the tournament, I my opinion.

Kinda hard? Finally people would be compensated for the hard work that they put into 😎 i know there can be a problem with players, but we want to do advertising campaign also on Google Ads for that particular thing. Would be cool i think

3 minutes ago, Horus Publishing said:

Kinda hard? Finally people would be compensated for the hard work that they put into 😎 i know there can be a problem with players, but we want to do advertising campaign also on Google Ads for that particular thing. Would be cool i think

Kinda hard to imagine it happening because we never had such event in DYOM history (as far as I know), but I'm sure this will be great.

Another thing I have in mind is that this should be done in December because I noticed it's the month most players have time to be active in DYOM (I can be wrong tho)