Error: Reading the grand theft auto DVD

ClaudeSpeedIV

ClaudeSpeedIV

everytime i play vice city for about 10- 20 min, sometimes 30, i get the message Error: Reading the grand theft auto vice city DVD. the game has about 2 to 3 scratches, might not be exact but its not even enough scratches to make it freeze. i tried cleaning the disc, that didn't work. i tried cleaning the laser on my ps2, that didn't work. and all my other games work fine, for example, san andreas has tons of scratches on it yet it works perfectly. anyone know what i could do besides the toothpaste method, i buffed the disc a while back when i went to gamestop, but that still didn't help. if anyone knows anything i can do at home that will work, please tell me. thank you biggrin.gif

user posted image

If you've tried the conventional cleaning methods and they didn't help, then there's really not much that you can do. The disc might well be damaged beyond repair. I suggest buying a new disc.

ClaudeSpeedIV
If you've tried the conventional cleaning methods and they didn't help, then there's really not much that you can do. The disc might well be damaged beyond repair. I suggest buying a new disc.

no the disc only has 2 to 3 scratches, it can be fixed, but how is what i want to know, i can still play it for up to an hour now and it will freeze sometimes if i put in a weapon cheat, but i don't do that and it still freezes up, especially when i'm driving, the car takes a dive into the ground, what the hell is that all about?

user posted image

I don't think there is a definite method to ensure that the cd works perfectly. With scratches, you can never be sure. The issues that you're facing are because of the scratches. It shouldn't cost much to buy a new disc.

Now, I'm not an expert on PS2 discs, but can they be read by CD/DVD ROM drives on the PC? If yes, then download CD Check and see how many errors you can find and if the software is able to fix it.

Now, I'm not an expert on PS2 discs, but can they be read by CD/DVD ROM drives on the PC? If yes, then download CD Check and see how many errors you can find and if the software is able to fix it.

Yes, ALL GTA PS2 discs can be read by your PC's DVD Drive, as long as it is a DVD ROM drive and not just a CD drive.The only discs I have found that the computer cannot read are the X-box and X-box 360 discs, which is odd since they too are DVD's.

Have you never heard of a "NO CD" crack before?? smile.gif

Uh, You CANNOT use a No-CD crack on the PS2, as the disc MUST be used to play console games. The Original poster even mentioned in the first post that this is a PS2 problem. So, what are you talking about?