1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

The Wire

Raindancer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Kinda crazy this story written in 1987 by David Simon really has a lot of Parallels to The Wire.

http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/2638846-Easy-Money-Anatomy-of-a-Drug-Empire.html

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/2638846/Easy-Money-Anatomy-of-a-Drug-Empire.pdf

The wire took a lot of influence from real people. Nathan Barksdale, Marlow Bates, Timmirror Stanfield

Edited by Zello
On 5/13/2020 at 1:05 AM, Zello said:

Kinda crazy this story written in 1987 by David Simon really has a lot of Parallels to The Wire.

http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/2638846-Easy-Money-Anatomy-of-a-Drug-Empire.html

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/2638846/Easy-Money-Anatomy-of-a-Drug-Empire.pdf

The wire took a lot of influence from real people. Nathan Barksdale, Marlow Bates, Timmirror Stanfield

Amazing seeing Melvin Williams photo in there. Something very poetic about getting an ex-heroin kingpin acting in your TV show and having him play wise Deacon and trying to steer those away from the game. 

Love how the other names are directly used in the show; Stanfield, Barksdale etc. Just makes it that more connected to reality. 

On 5/13/2020 at 2:05 AM, Zello said:

You forgot Rolland Bell.

I wonder how many of the characters lived inside David Simon's head long before he decided to finally write The Wire.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DareYokel said:

I wonder how many of the characters lived inside David Simon's head long before he decided to finally write The Wire.

That's a good question. And I think it's what contributes to the legacy of the show. Everything in Simon's professional life; writing for the Baltimore Sun and then doing Homicide: Life on The Streets. Like it was practice for the masterpiece of The Wire. That's why I think it's so rare to have something of such quality. It's been brewing in his head for 20 years. 

I think the same of the Dave Brent character and The Office for Ricky Gervais. I think it's a half a life-time creating this guy. He knows him so well. And finally he creates 2 or 3 series and the character is finally realised.

I've started watching this show only now. Don't blame me. I only just finished The Sopranos and Deadwood. I've never had that much time to watch tv series in the past so I started binging the most notable ones during the outbreak. I'm only just on episode 6 and can already tell this is gonna be a huge contender for my "best tv series ever" spot against Breaking Bad. Potentially the only thing that might beat Breaking Bad in my book. 

Edited by TheSantader25
  • Like 2
On 5/25/2020 at 2:00 PM, TheSantader25 said:

I've started watching this show only now. Don't blame me. I only just finished The Sopranos and Deadwood. I've never had that much time to watch tv series in the past so I started binging the most notable ones during the outbreak. I'm only just on episode 6 and can already tell this is gonna be a huge contender for my "best tv series ever" spot against Breaking Bad. Potentially the only thing that might beat Breaking Bad in my book. 

I'm really glad you are enjoying it so far. Season 1 is great. It's fascinating getting to know the workings of the Barksdale organization. Would love to hear your thoughts on the season once you finish it. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Mister Pink said:

I'm really glad you are enjoying it so far. Season 1 is great. It's fascinating getting to know the workings of the Barksdale organization. Would love to hear your thoughts on the season once you finish it. 

Yeah I finished the season now. Absolutely amazing. 10/10. Hope this isn't the last I see D'Angelo and Wee Bey. Great characters. If this show keeps up the same quality in the next 4 seasons I'll be blown away. Idris Elba has been perfectly casted for Stringer Bell IMO. The cast is perfect. Loved these scenes:

Though I'm gonna stop binge watching now. I'm gonna take this one slow and watch it across 4-5 months to get the most out of it. The show seems worth it. 

Though I'm gonna stop binge watching now. I'm gonna take this one slow and watch it across 4-5 months to get the most out of it. The show seems worth it. 

Edited by TheSantader25
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

Yeah I finished the season now. Absolutely amazing. 10/10. Hope this isn't the last I see D'Angelo and Wee Bey. Great characters. If this show keeps up the same quality in the next 4 seasons I'll be blown away. Idris Elba has been perfectly casted for Stringer Bell IMO. The cast is perfect. Loved these scenes:

Excellent glad you like it. Without spoiling season 2, I'll just say each season focuses on another aspect of the city. So next season it's the docks, Greeks, Polish and union crime with some of the Barksdale organization but less of them. This throws people off and they get a little disappointed. However, it's absolutely a fantastic season. Most of the time, people that watch it again, realize how good it is. It's just the shift in focus that throws people off. The season 3 comes back to Barksdale Organization and more and has a bit of focus on the school system. 

4 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

I like your thinking. I do this with shows I really love. And especially The Wire, it's quite dense. So, I think it's a good show to stretch out. Let your thoughts ruminate. It never devolves in to cliff-hanger trickery, thankfully. Anyway, you have some of your best The Wire moments ahead of you. 

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Mister Pink said:

Excellent glad you like it. Without spoiling season 2, I'll just say each season focuses on another aspect of the city. So next season it's the docks, Greeks, Polish and union crime with some of the Barksdale organization but less of them. This throws people off and they get a little disappointed. However, it's absolutely a fantastic season. Most of the time, people that watch it again, realize how good it is. It's just the shift in focus that throws people off. The season 3 comes back to Barksdale Organization and more and has a bit of focus on the school system. 

I'm ok with that direction if they still do their already built characters enough justice and give them a satisfying conclusion. If they still show glimpses of them in the background while shifting focus, I'm gonna be alright. So we'll see. 

Edited by TheSantader25
  • Like 2
21 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

I'm ok with that direction if they still do their already built characters enough justice and give them a satisfying conclusion. If they still show glimpses of them in the background while shifting focus, I'm gonna be alright. So we'll see. 

Perfect, yeah, you'll have no worries at all then.

I want to make a correction, season 3 opens up a politics story and Season 4 opens up a school system story. It still very much focussed around detective work and the institutions but just one one of the subplots in each season has a theme in that area of cities institutions. 

From season 1, I love when McNulty finds out Stringer is taking classes in macro-economics. Strings also asks his lecturer for advice on how to sell an inferior product in an aggressive market then applies it to the drug trade. Genius. 

Edited by Mister Pink
  • Like 2
On 5/28/2020 at 10:19 AM, Mister Pink said:

From season 1, I love when McNulty finds out Stringer is taking classes in macro-economics. Strings also asks his lecturer for advice on how to sell an inferior product in an aggressive market then applies it to the drug trade. Genius. 

-snip-

That's season 2...

Wait nevermind lol

Edited by Zello
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Finished season 2. I went in skeptical cause I'd heard that some consider this the weakest season of the series but I still liked it very much. I still prefer season 1 but that's probably cause I've always had a hard on about crime related themes in the ghetto more than anything. 

I hope I'll see The Greek and Spiros again. It's amusing that they suddenly introduced a bunch of new characters and they all still felt very fleshed out. I liked Frank, Nick and Ziggy. Also enjoyed the fact that they still covered the Barksdale crew's events in the meantime. 

Some nice scenes. 

Can't wait to start season 3.

Edited by TheSantader25
  • Like 1

Season 3 is my favorite personally because I feel it has the most action. Also the relationship with Avon and Stringer.

Edited by Zello
  • Like 2
On 6/15/2020 at 8:23 AM, TheSantader25 said:

Finished season 2. I went in skeptical cause I'd heard that some consider this the weakest season of the series but I still liked it very much. I still prefer season 1 but that's probably cause I've always had a hard on about crime related themes in the ghetto more than anything. 

I hope I'll see The Greek and Spiros again. It's amusing that they suddenly introduced a bunch of new characters and they all still felt very fleshed out. I liked Frank, Nick and Ziggy. Also enjoyed the fact that they still covered the Barksdale crew's events in the meantime. 

Glad you enjoyed it dude. And when you are used to the slight change in focus from the projects to the docks, it's really nice rewatching it. But as Zello before, you'll get much more hood action in Season 3. And it's great. 

Those are good scenes you posted. Love that montage with the Greek music. Visited Greece last year, so it's even more interesting to me now. 😛 

Another great one from Season 2. 

"malaka"

Edited by Mister Pink
  • Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I heard this is a very good series and that's basically "GTA - The TV Show". Would really like to start watching it one day

• Like 1

I've watched the third season now. It's as enjoyable as the first one. Pretty much perfect. Absolutely loved the interactions between Stringer and Avon. What did I tell you about playing those away games? 

Also loved the idea of Hamsterdam. I liked how they showed both the positives and negatives of this strategy. Just look at this scene. It's so f*cking disturbing. Horrifying scene. Literally hell on earth. 

Cutty, Colvin and Slim Charles were great new characters added. There are so many great characters in this show and they keep adding them left and right. Most shows have a couple of characters that carry the show but this one? Literally EVERYONE is so good and serve their purpose perfectly. I have no idea how all of these characters feel so fleshed out with minimum screen time. 

I did not expect them to completely dismantle the Barksdale crew with still 2 seasons to go. Makes me wonder if the remaining seasons will have enough interesting material. Marlo probably will takeover now. Stringer and Avon were way too good to be cut off this early. But unlike most TV shows that cut characters quickly, I can't say The Wire didn't do these two justice. They lived up to their potential despite being cut early. And that's remarkable. 

So many good scenes this season:

Edited by TheSantader25
  • Like 2
On 7/12/2020 at 9:46 AM, TheSantader25 said:

Cutty,

Cutty was one of favourite characters. The amount of respect people have for him. And that story is a story I think that's rarely told. The story of a guy going back into the same after a long stretch. I mean, we seen it in The Sopranos which Feech Le Mana but in street gang context. It must so difficult for a man in his 30's do be working street work when you have kids and teenagers not far removed from you doing the same job. It's a job that for the young and fearless. But you get older. You mellow out. You get different goals and priorities. 

I also love in this scene how Slim owns up to what he thought was his fault. It's a powerful scene. And Barksdale at the end still respects him, even after he wants out of the game. 

• Like 2
On 7/12/2020 at 4:46 AM, TheSantader25 said:

I did not expect them to completely dismantle the Barksdale crew with still 2 seasons to go. Makes me wonder if the remaining seasons will have enough interesting material. Marlo probably will takeover now. Stringer and Avon were way too good to be cut off this early. But unlike most TV shows that cut characters quickly, I can't say The Wire didn't do these two justice. They lived up to their potential despite being cut early. And that's remarkable. 

Season 4 is pretty tragic since it focuses on the kids that have to grow up on these same streets and kind of continue that cycle. It also maintains that street focus only with Marlo being a bit more brutal and different than Avon and Stringer. A lot of people claim that season 4 is the greatest season but I still love season 3 more. Also they recommend every teacher in the US who is about to teach in public schools to watch Season 4.

Season 5 is just the end. My only complaint with Season 5 was McNulty's entire plot that season.

Edited by Zello
  • Like 3
17 hours ago, Zello said:

Also they recommend every teacher in the US who is about to teach in public schools to watch Season 4.

It's so powerful. 

After watching The Wire, and seeing how hard it is for good cops to be good cops and good teachers to be good teachers, I have opened my mind to have so much more respect for anyone in those professions, as much hate as they get, these people are human beings trying to live their lives. That respect extends to those growing up in projects. Those that do good but are going against the tide of misbehaviour, lack of opportunities, poor resources. 

I think it's Season 4 where we see Wee Bay's son being groomed by his own mother to work the corners to keep that cash flow coming in. Don't want to give too much away but I bet there are  so many Wee Bay's and their kids out there. Mom pushing them into the life of crime to keep up the life they were living before the father is disappears, dies or is locked up. 

School system in the US. 

George Carlin actually talks about juking the stats in his bit on U.S. education. Incredible. 

• Like 2
Naughtius Maximus
On 7/12/2020 at 11:46 AM, TheSantader25 said:

Stringer and Avon were way too good to be cut off this early. But unlike most TV shows that cut characters quickly, I can't say The Wire didn't do these two justice. They lived up to their potential despite being cut early. And that's remarkable. 

The Wire clearly shows that every single character is a regular individual in the social pyramid: Likewise, even the big players are just a pawn in the (drug) game. At first look, it is safe to assume that McNulty is the ultimate protagonist. However, The Wire is about more than McNulty or the cops - every part of the society has a story worth to tell. The police, drug dealers, dock workers, politicians, students, journalists... they all get their fair share in the story told. The Wire has no certain protagonist or antagonist, the show has no clear losers or winners. I think this is what makes this show unique, outstanding and realistic.

Likewise, one can estimate that Stringer is probably the main antagonist but he gets blown off by the end of Season 3 - showing us that every player is on the verge of being eliminated at any second. Then, Marlo takes over as the apparent antagonist and things take a dark turn. However, even if Marlo seems to have won in the end, it is actually not that simple by his perspective. I won't keep going on because I don't want to spoil the experience for you.

• Like 3
On 7/15/2020 at 9:00 AM, Zello said:

Season 5 is just the end. My only complaint with Season 5 was McNulty's entire plot that season.

Yeah, it felt a bit outlandish but David Simon himself said something regarding that plot thread. 

@TheSantader25How are you enjoying S4? It's my favorite season of The Wire closely followed by S3.

Edited by Zapper
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

And now I'm officially done with S4 & S5. I've completed The Wire. What a ride. 

Season 4 was pretty damn tragic. It showed how this all pretty much starts. I'm glad Namond got a good ending though. But the rest of those kids? Damn. I guess Cutty, Namond and Bubbles are the only ones that somehow got out of the sh*t. Bubbles' development throughout the whole show was amazing. 

Season 5 was also decent. It gave the show the ending it deserved. Carcetti is a spot on representation of a lot of politicians. Some actually have good intentions at the start but when they get caught up in the system, they realize they have no power and get swallowed by the system and become what they think is wrong with the system. I think he still could have avoided all of this if he swallowed his pride and took the money.

I've heard that some people criticized McNulty's plot. It sat ok with me except for one thing. And that's probably the only thing that I find faulty about the story in the entire 5 seasons and that is Kima selling him out. I know the PD just had to find out somehow but the Kima I saw in the entire show wouldn't do such a thing. I think they should've found another way to expose McNulty's actions in the story. 

Nice to see that punk Marlo get a fate worse than death. He won't last long in that position. Sad for Omar and Prop Joe's death. 

Some great scenes. 

I have to say the more you watch this show the more you feel like it's actually a "documentary" more than anything else. It's so damn hard-hitting, down to the earth and accurate. It's now definitely in my top 3 of all time with Breaking Bad and The Sopranos (and I think it beats The Sopranos for me - very close tie with Breaking Bad). 

I mean all the seasons are so great that I really don't want to rank them but still S3 is my favorite. But again I loved every single one. 

I have to say the more you watch this show the more you feel like it's actually a "documentary" more than anything else. It's so damn hard-hitting, down to the earth and accurate. It's now definitely in my top 3 of all time with Breaking Bad and The Sopranos (and I think it beats The Sopranos for me - very close tie with Breaking Bad). 

Edited by TheSantader25
  • Like 4
6 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

I mean all the seasons are so great that I really don't want to rank them but still S3 is my favorite. But again I loved every single one. 

Dude, it was a pleasure to follow your journey and reading your updates as you go a long. Glad you found lots of value in it. It's hard to summarize just how powerful this show is to someone that has never seen it. 

Give it a couple of years when you start feeling nostalgic for it again. And I guarantee you, the 2nd viewing is as good as the first, if not better. It's so detail-rich that you'll disover more the second time round. Also, re-watching season 1 is great because you have an idea of who's who. The first time is a bit daunting. 

• Like 2