3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Tyla

Grand Theft Auto IV: London

Prasdana

this is really awesome Tyla!! you always give your opinion on DLC's concept and finally you make one,you are doing a great job

just one question:

what is Angles Of The Death doing in England?

otherwise are very good cookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gif

it's delicious wink.gif

BrownBear
Southend would be the largest other town reachable by road (the A13) or by rail (Liverpool Street Station). The countryside to the North would be littered with small villages and large estates that take up acres of land and the main attraction in the countryside to the south of London would be Broadmoor Psychiatric Hospital. The village in which Broadmoor is located in sound an air raid siren every Monday as a test for an event in that an patient would escape. I think it would be cool if one of them actually did escape at random in game and was a random character in the vein of Eddie Low.

Unlimited countryside could perhaps replace the unlimited waters?

Maybe Typhus could be the serial killer tounge2.gif ?

Tyla

this is really awesome Tyla!! you always give your opinion on DLC's concept and finally you make one,you are doing a great job

just one question:

what is Angles Of The Death doing in England?

otherwise are very good  cookie.gif  cookie.gif  cookie.gif

it's delicious  wink.gif

Thank you!

The Angels supposedly have charters in Britain, according to the Lost & Damned at least. Seen as they're a worldwide brand (probably more so a brand than a gang) I thought I would give them a presence in London seen as the Hells Angels are in the UK, who the AOD are based on. There was a chapter where I used to live. They were involved in an airport brawl with members of the Mongols I believe?

Maybe Typhus could be the serial killer  tounge.gif ?

Why Typhus?

BrownBear

He lives in Southend I think, and he's f*cking bugs isn't he?

It's just a joke anyway tounge.gif.

I reckon a parody of Brighton would be cool.

Tyla

Oh, I didn't know he lived in Southend. Now I see where you're coming from. You should send him a link if you think he would be up for a parody. I would be open to doing that because I don't really have names for minor characters/random characters, so if anyone wants a cameo... wink.gif

I was thinking about putting Brighton in too. Mainly due to the fact the mod and rocker revivals would be featured in the game and it would be good to get that Quadrophenia feeling going on. Maybe that's where the IRA could end up after the events of the game?

Max
Oh, I didn't know he lived in Southend. Now I see where you're coming from. You should send him a link if you think he would be up for a parody. I would be open to doing that because I don't really have names for minor characters/random characters, so if anyone wants a cameo... wink.gif

I was thinking about putting Brighton in too. Mainly due to the fact the mod and rocker revivals would be featured in the game and it would be good to get that Quadrophenia feeling going on. Maybe that's where the IRA could end up after the events of the game?

Furthermore with the massive club scene down in Brighton there'd be stuff for the character to do down their if he extended his bouncing network to the city. icon14.gif

Tyla

Oh, I didn't know he lived in Southend. Now I see where you're coming from. You should send him a link if you think he would be up for a parody. I would be open to doing that because I don't really have names for minor characters/random characters, so if anyone wants a cameo...  wink.gif

Furthermore with the massive club scene down in Brighton there'd be stuff for the character to do down their if he extended his bouncing network to the city. icon14.gif

Thats a brilliant idea icon14.gif

I'm working on posting up the first mission/the introduction. I should be done with it in about an hour.

BrownBear

Have you seen "Rise of the footsoldier"? Certainly not the best film but definately worth a watch.

It's about the Rettendon range rover murders and the events surrounding it which took place at the time.

Tyla

Rise of the Footsoldier is what prompted me to have Craig Fairbrass as the face behind my main character. He was fantastic as Pat Tate, especially the pizza shop scene and the restaurant robbery and another one of his recent UK films that looks good is called 'Freight', about a gang of human traffickers in Leeds. I think he would be brilliant in GTA too, especially if they bought it to London. I have a mission idea based on the Rettondon murders (as they were depicted in the film), but I'll keep that under wraps until later. wink.gif

Here's the first mission 'The Introduction', as promised.

The Introduction

The silence behind the black screen is shattered. A rough, blazing voice enthusiastically calls out at the opening of a door.

Prisoner: “Oi, oi!”

We hear footsteps, a number of soles pacing along, keys jingling. There are several jeers and insults hurled towards these people. Another voice bursts out into song.

Prisoner: “Please release me...”

Heavy doors suddenly open. The echoing sound of impacting metal rings out.

Prisoner: “...release me darling, let me go.”

Guard: “Shut your noise.”

The singing ceases and is replaced by a chorus of abuse before fading to silence. Three prison guards appear on screen in front of a cold iron door. The one in the middle steps forward and bangs on the door with a heavy fist.

Guard: “Up, Caine. Shift your tits.”

A broad, strong looking male stands to his feet in the cell and it becomes apparent from the camera focus that this is Raymond Caine. Today, he will be released onto the streets again after seven years in this cell. He bids farewell to his cellmate and departs with the guards.

As Ray is led through the prison, the names of those involved in the production of the game appear on the surroundings. On the walls as they pass prisoners who are slopping out, beneath the passing boots of the guards and on the ceilings. The journey comes to an end at a custody desk where the sergeant begins to process the formalities. Ray is given his belongings and his clothes; a black leather jacket/black t-shirt, dark jeans and boots. The reel of names begins to end outside the room Ray is changing into his attire inside of.

The scene switches to the outside of the prison, Wormwood Scrubs. Ray stands tall, appearing confident at his new found freedom as the camera closes into his face and the theme music fades out. He takes in his surroundings and walks towards the main road.

You are now given control of Ray. You will find he walks with a quick, confident step but is somewhat heavy to move at the turn. Travel along the main road until you spot a taxi. Press LB/L1 to flag it down. Your destination will be a lockup underneath the arches in East London. Upon arrival you will be charged accordingly to whether or not you skipped the ride and the fare will be deducted from your initial £100.

Ray knocks on a metal shutter door, the nose echoing all around the deserted back street and prompting the attention of the occupant. Alan Frazer is behind the door and is greatly happy to see Ray standing in front of him. After reminiscing, Ray expresses his desire to get back into the game but that he must attend to family matters first; his mothers wake. After offering his personal condolences Alan tells you of a contact he has down the market and that they can sort you out with a cheap suit. He tells you that this connection of his is from Liverpool and is sound; as long as you don’t leave him alone with your car.

Take the black Hunter that is parked outside; Alan doesn’t want it anymore. The V8 engine roars to life once you get in. You will immediately notice that the camera is now focused more to the right of the vehicle opposed to the left in IV due to driving differences. You drive the short distance to the market; the brief journey serves as a basic introduction to driving which you will quickly get used to.

You arrive and approach Alan’s contact – ‘Camp’ Tony. It seems as though he’s been expecting you.

Tony: “Ohhhh,” Tony looks you up and down, “You must be Raymond?”

Ray: “Thats right.”

Tony instructs an associate of his to mind his stall and gestures to an alleyway.

Tony: “This way, Ray boy.”

In the alley Tony has a stash of suits on a rack. Most appear to be second hand Dieder Sachs suits with a black double breasted Perseus suit lingering in the background.

Tony: “So, what do you measure?”

Ray ignores the flirtations as Tony takes a number of suits off the rack and tries them up against him. He places the first two back before coming to the opinion that a dark grey suit outfit would suit him best. Normally, he says, he would charge £100 for this Dieder Sachs suit, but he has taken a shine to Ray and offers it to him for £50.

-£50 – Suit purchased.

The suit will be added to your wardrobe alongside your casuals, available to wear at any time.

With the suit in your possession, depart from the alleyway and return to the Hunter. Fortunately, the wheels are still intact. Tony invites you to return to his stall at any time for discount clothing*.

You make the short return trip back to Alan’s lockup. Upon arrival, Ray begins to elaborate on his wishes to get back to work as soon as possible, urging Alan to help him out as he is known as somewhat as the yellow pages of the underworld. Alan informs you that work with familiar contacts is scarce at this time and that he doesn’t have any ‘heavy’ jobs going but he will put in a word with a friend of his.

Mission CompleteReward: £0

You are now able to save your game at the sofa in the office. Doing so will advance gameplay by eight hours.

The Hunter will now spawn outside the lockup, available for use as the protagonist’s vehicle.

*You will be able to return to Tony’s stall at any time and browse the clothing he has for sale. Unlike clothing stores, it will often be of worn and torn nature appearing as though it has literally fallen off the back of the lorry. You will sometimes be able to score an expensive outfit on the cheap here however, so be sure to check back often.

Edited by Tyla

SilentSeas

Great intro Tyla, keep it up icon14.gif

Edited by 02fishera

BrownBear

I was actually planning to make a 60s London topic, I will probably wait a bit now as they would be too similar.

The first mission was great, looking forward to more.

Raindancer

WICKED!!

I am in the process of getting all the music you posted. Some very VERY good tunes here. The whole concept is good.

I was growing up in 80's London (Ok I was just a kid) but you have hit the nail on the head with this thread.

This is a GTA I could play.

Akavari

You know what you have to do? Replace the baseball bat with a cricket bat ph34r.gif

Tyla

I was actually planning to make a 60s London topic, I will probably wait a bit now as they would be too similar.

The first mission was great, looking forward to more.

Go for it mate, I'd love to see the 60s. If you could capture the feeling of say Get Carter and 'Villain' with Richard Burton, although they are both 1971 films, and take your inspiration from all the fruit machines, torture trials and armed robberies between feuds, it would be great.

WICKED!!

I am in the process of getting all the music you posted. Some very VERY good tunes here. The whole concept is good.

I was growing up in 80's London (Ok I was just a kid) but you have hit the nail on the head with this thread.

This is a GTA I could play.

Thank you. I'm especially glad you like the soundtrack. I spent ages trying to find the right mix of songs for the stations. Great fun though!

You know what you have to do? Replace the baseball bat with a cricket bat

It's already in there smile.gif The Cricket Bat is under 'environmentals'. As in you'd have to go down to the local cricket club to get one or take one off somebody else. I'm going to expand on the environmental weapons in the next few missions. I didn't want to include every possible weapon in the tables because you can basically use anything as a weapon, even a wooden wicket from the ground to get yourself that cricket club!

Pac.

You Updated this recently right? because it is looking bloody amazing may i say, the Gangs are sweet and resemble gangs we have in London not only now but also back then in the 80's i suppose, overall this topic is brilliant.

AnthMUFC-Champs

If you continue at this rate this topic will become a massive winner. Again good work Tyla keep it up as the whole topic is brilliant.

Tyla

Cheers lads!

@Pac: I thought I'd give the London idea a reboot a couple of months ago and this is the finished product. I looked into what I could about the gangs then fictionalised and distorted events to give the gangs and the characters their backstories. Glad you like them smile.gif

Here is the second mission and the final part of the introduction.

The Wake

Immediately after saving the game inside the lockup, the next mission is activated. By means of cutscene you become aware that time has progressed to the following day. The early morning presenter reads the news, talking of the ongoing Falklands War while Ray is shown straightening the collar of his shirt in the grotty wing mirror of a half covered over Sentinel that lays parked near the door. He gives a sigh in the memory of his late mother, who had always been against his criminal activity.

You are prompted to make your way to the Caine’s pub; ‘The Crown Jewels’ in Bow, where the wake will be held. The Hunter that you are now in possession of awaits you outside in the shadows of the morning sun; use it to make your way to the destination though the thickening morning traffic.

Upon arrival you are greeted by Dave Caine who is standing in the door of the pub smoking a cigarette and looking visibly upset. He appreciates that you managed to make the memorial wake having been confused about the day you were up for release and shows you inside to the function room.

A large portion of those in attendance are gathered around a hearty spread thoughtfully laid on by the barmaid. The camera pans around the room and introduces the player to several characters who will become important faces. Arthur Caine is shown standing at the bar telling stories of Mrs. Caine and how she helped him elude capture during WW2; John Sharpe, his bodyguard, stands next to him sipping whiskey. The camera turns to George Caine who sits silently with a group of men beside him, appearing a world away whilst looking at Arthur. Stanley Mickelthwaite, boss of the Firm’s South London rivals is also present ‘out of respect’ with a congregation of minders and he offers his condolences to Ray. You turn to approach George, but find that he has vanished, and as it appears that Arthur is busy you decide to leave him be and walk the room with Dave by your side.

Dave is not doing much with his life to your surprise; he is pretty much evasive of crime and limits himself to petty thefts. Through this it becomes apparent that he was present on the bank job Ray went down for and that he was arrested mainly for creating a route of escape for him. Instead, he lives for his football. He can however offer you a place to stay; he is quick to tell you that you are welcome to stay at his flat in the Trotter Towers in Peckham after learning you slept in Alan’s lockup.

The cinematic fades out and you are placed back in control of Ray with the freedom to explore the room as you please. Grab a Pint for £1 at the bar if you wish; doing so will restore your health bar to full should you have taken any damage. After you are done, you are free to leave the establishment to end the mission and complete the introductory start of the game.

Mission Complete – Reward: £0

*You can now use Dave’s Peckham flat to save your game; it replaces Alan’s lockup and serves as your first proper safehouse. It is denoted on the map by the home logo which appears alongside the ‘Dc’ that serves as Dave’s mission marker. An ‘Af’, denoting Alan Frazer, also appears on the map.

Edited by Tyla

AnthMUFC-Champs

Again nice work mate the missions are good to read and very detailed.

vertical limit

great work have a cookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gif

Kwandilibro

Holy sh*t. This topic is really good dude. I'm not a huge fan of a London based GTA, but this is just..... Damn!

cookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gif

And your setup makes me want to reform my sh*t.

Tyla

You can lend the codes to the tables if you want? Let me know and I'll send them to you.

And thanks for the cookie.gif

Added a basic table to the missions section.

Also added scarcely prominent gangs & storyline specific organizations; Columbian Cartel, Liberty City Mafia and the Savage Crime Family.

Edited by Tyla

AnthMUFC-Champs

Very good and detailed missions Tyla, this concept is making excellent progress.

Pac.

Does shadows of legitimacy mean it is a legitimate operation but does deal in a few Ilegal activities?

Money Over Bullshit

This is really good mate. It's nice to see a period London piece done right! Well Done cookie.gifcookie.gif

Tyla
Does shadows of legitimacy mean it is a legitimate operation but does deal in a few Ilegal activities?

Concerning the Russians?

@MOB: Thanks smile.gif

Pac.

Concerning the Russians?

@MOB: Thanks smile.gif

Yes the Ruskies?

Tyla

You're pretty much right; they hide behind their legitimate front whilst making silent profits on the side through vice crimes. I'm not going to give the Russians that big a role in the story, they're just there as the foreboding threat, looming over the protagonist's future existence. They would become more prominent after the storyline to hint towards the growth of their operations to the extent they became in today's London.

Pac.
You're pretty much right; they hide behind their legitimate front whilst making silent profits on the side through vice crimes. I'm not going to give the Russians that big a role in the story, they're just there as the foreboding threat, looming over the protagonist's future existence. They would become more prominent after the storyline to hint towards the growth of their operations to the extent they became in today's London.

Yeah I woudn't make them too big either considering that they played quite a big role in IV. I would like to focus more upon the Albanians, they are ruthless people when it comes to their crime, if you've seen the film "Taken" you probably figure out what i mean.

BrownBear

Yeah I woudn't make them too big either considering that they played quite a big role in IV. I would like to focus more upon the Albanians, they are ruthless people when it comes to their crime, if you've seen the film "Taken" you probably figure out what i mean.

They weren't nearly as big in the 80s, there aren't many Albanians in the UK now, in the 80s the population would have been very small.

Pac.

They weren't nearly as big in the 80s, there aren't many Albanians in the UK now, in the 80s the population would have been very small.

Oh yeah i forget that we are in the 80's here.