3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Grand Theft Auto: Family Ties

The Notorious MOB

Claude4Catalina

Great work laddybuck, a bit much like Bury The Hatchet in the opening cutscene however you more than make up for it with consistently excellent writing; one thing I'm fond of is you writing out each way to complete a mission rather than hand wave it with a simple "well you could go in loud or stealthy, up to you" instruction.

Thanks for the comments man. Similar to Bury the Hatchet you say.. I can't say I thought of the similarities when I was writing the mission but I suppose it's good in a way because that was one of my favourite missions in GTA V.

Bury The Hatchet was a brilliant mission, so theres no shame in being compared to it! Better that than being compared to some shoot and scoot bullsh*t mission.

The holidays and the whole winter theme this story has now sees me hoping a new chapter is in the works... just the atmosphere in Sammy Bottino's favor mission alone gets me hyped up. :happy:

I had started writing the next installment but ironically enough due to the holidays I haven't had the time to do any more work on it. It's looking like it will be pretty long so I might just chip away at it over the next couple of weeks when I get a bit of time. It will be the last full chapter (aside from a one mission finale) so I kind of want to take my time with it.

Take your time with it man, I used to the time off work to reread some of my older work, such as Two Underbosses, and I can say it pays dividends craft missions rather than just bang them out like I used to. I'm in the process of writing the tenth mission for Carcer and I've been at it over a year! And to be fair, whilst rereading Two Underbosses I noticed us discussing how Family Ties would turn out...back in 2011...so its not like you're under any pressure to get this finished!

The Notorious MOB

Great work laddybuck, a bit much like Bury The Hatchet in the opening cutscene however you more than make up for it with consistently excellent writing; one thing I'm fond of is you writing out each way to complete a mission rather than hand wave it with a simple "well you could go in loud or stealthy, up to you" instruction.

Thanks for the comments man. Similar to Bury the Hatchet you say.. I can't say I thought of the similarities when I was writing the mission but I suppose it's good in a way because that was one of my favourite missions in GTA V.

Bury The Hatchet was a brilliant mission, so theres no shame in being compared to it! Better that than being compared to some shoot and scoot bullsh*t mission.

The holidays and the whole winter theme this story has now sees me hoping a new chapter is in the works... just the atmosphere in Sammy Bottino's favor mission alone gets me hyped up. :happy:

I had started writing the next installment but ironically enough due to the holidays I haven't had the time to do any more work on it. It's looking like it will be pretty long so I might just chip away at it over the next couple of weeks when I get a bit of time. It will be the last full chapter (aside from a one mission finale) so I kind of want to take my time with it.

Take your time with it man, I used to the time off work to reread some of my older work, such as Two Underbosses, and I can say it pays dividends craft missions rather than just bang them out like I used to. I'm in the process of writing the tenth mission for Carcer and I've been at it over a year! And to be fair, whilst rereading Two Underbosses I noticed us discussing how Family Ties would turn out...back in 2011...so its not like you're under any pressure to get this finished!

Yeah I get you man when I made the Code of The Streets I whacked out 50 missions and a load of other content in just a matter of months while I wouldn't say it suffered greatly because of the speed at which I did it there are definitely some things I would change. I was five years younger and a lot of stuff that made sense back then seems a bit silly when I look back on it now. Me and and Akaviri had been exchanging ideas on what way our stories would go and it it turned out that we both wanted to use Kenny Petrovic as the antagonist I changed mine to somebody much weaker and he subsequently changed his mind but by that time my story had already started building in another direction and in retrospect it ended kind of sh*tty. If I ever finish this topic I way go back and do a little update. I need to to update the code after the forum change messed it up anyway so I way do a few little tweaks to the story.

It's actually kind of weird looking back at The Two Underbosses since later developments in the canon have made it seem a little far fetched. It was pretty on point though the way you used Frank Cali as the portrait for the main character since he would have actually been on his way to becoming boss at the time. I can't help thinking what the story would have been like had you been aware of what Rockstar had in store for GTA V and actually based the protagonist on somebody more closely based on Cali rather than Sammy Bottino. In real life in the years in and around the time setting of GTA IV there was no official boss in the Gambino Family after Peter Gotti went to prison in 2002 so it made sense for the Gambettis to have a Boss who was based on a leader of yesteryear like Jon Gravelli. This obviously wasn't intentional but it made some sense none the less. I would love to see somebody craft a story about the inner workings of the mafia post 08/09 though. I obviously have my own ideas but to actually craft a topic around them wouldn't be a good use of my time due to how similar it would be to this topic. As I said before the main purpose of this topic is to give a fictional behind the scenes look into the Liberty City Crime families during the events of GTA IV and somewhat lay the foundations for what will transpire in Chinatown Wars and beyond.

I'm actually really glad I haven't finished this topic until now because truth be told I probably rushed into it initially due to me having an idea and just running with it but as the years have gone on and my knowledge and insight have grown I can safely say that it will be a much better topic than it would have been had I done it all in a short space of time.

Claude4Catalina

If you go back and read the first few missions of Family Ties and compare them to your most recent offerings, you can certainly see how much your writing has evolved, same if I were to compare Two Underbosses' entire story to the paltry ten missions I've written over the past year or so for Carcer. Its almost as if we've followed the standard GTA has been setting, I mean for all its flaws, GTA V still has moments when you can tell Rockstar upped their game a few notches, sometimes you take a step back and realize they musta took night classes on the film making techniques of the likes of Scorsese for the story, Tarantino for the dialogue and Bruckheimer for the balls out action. And if Goodfellas started the whole "being a mobster isn't all its cracked up to be" motif and The Sopranos picked up where they left off, you're carrying that flame into a new media.

• Like 3

Yeah I get you man when I made the Code of The Streets I whacked out 50 missions and a load of other content in just a matter of months while I wouldn't say it suffered greatly because of the speed at which I did it there are definitely some things I would change. I was five years younger and a lot of stuff that made sense back then seems a bit silly when I look back on it now. Me and and Akaviri had been exchanging ideas on what way our stories would go and it it turned out that we both wanted to use Kenny Petrovic as the antagonist I changed mine to somebody much weaker and he subsequently changed his mind but by that time my story had already started building in another direction and in retrospect it ended kind of sh*tty. If I ever finish this topic I way go back and do a little update. I need to to update the code after the forum change messed it up anyway so I way do a few little tweaks to the story.

I remember what impressed me the most about Code of The Streets was how you took very minor or totally unseen characters and fleshed them out enough that we'd all care enough to follow a 50 mission story. You've taken that to a whole new level with Family Ties in fleshing out five entire organizations plus a well-developed supporting cast. Looking back on your final mission for Code of The Streets, it's funny how it reads like a better written, more challenging version of how we're supposed to kill Wei Cheng in GTAV's final mission. Now I'm feeling nostalgic I thoroughly hope you revisit the concept someday and bring it to the attention of the newer users here.

I'm also dying to ask with how thoroughly you've researched this and how well you outlined each of the families, when are the best years you think to set a game in Liberty City with the Mafia as a main feature? I know a lot of stuff canonically happened in 1978 and it appealed to me a lot setting a concept during that time, when else would be worth exploring?

The Notorious MOB

If you go back and read the first few missions of Family Ties and compare them to your most recent offerings, you can certainly see how much your writing has evolved, same if I were to compare Two Underbosses' entire story to the paltry ten missions I've written over the past year or so for Carcer. Its almost as if we've followed the standard GTA has been setting, I mean for all its flaws, GTA V still has moments when you can tell Rockstar upped their game a few notches, sometimes you take a step back and realize they musta took night classes on the film making techniques of the likes of Scorsese for the story, Tarantino for the dialogue and Bruckheimer for the balls out action. And if Goodfellas started the whole "being a mobster isn't all its cracked up to be" motif and The Sopranos picked up where they left off, you're carrying that flame into a new media.

Aside from real life people and events Tarantino, Scorsese and The Sopranos would have been my main sources of inspiration for this story so its kind of funny that you should mention those in particular. The story was actually only supposed to be about ten chapters (roughly 30 parts) long originally and it has changed quite a bit since its inception. The main plot points have remained largely the same however and I have always had the beginning and end in my head.

I remember what impressed me the most about Code of The Streets was how you took very minor or totally unseen characters and fleshed them out enough that we'd all care enough to follow a 50 mission story. You've taken that to a whole new level with Family Ties in fleshing out five entire organizations plus a well-developed supporting cast. Looking back on your final mission for Code of The Streets, it's funny how it reads like a better written, more challenging version of how we're supposed to kill Wei Cheng in GTAV's final mission. Now I'm feeling nostalgic I thoroughly hope you revisit the concept someday and bring it to the attention of the newer users here.

I'm also dying to ask with how thoroughly you've researched this and how well you outlined each of the families, when are the best years you think to set a game in Liberty City with the Mafia as a main feature? I know a lot of stuff canonically happened in 1978 and it appealed to me a lot setting a concept during that time, when else would be worth exploring?

I love movies and TV shows which give context to actual events so I really wanted to put a face and identity to a lot of the characters who only got a mere mention in the games.

As far as a time setting goes for a mafia story.. I have to agree with you 1978 would be a great year in which to set a mafia themed GTA story given the major events and (mostly unseen) characters who were coming of age around that time. The more you dig the better the case for it becomes. Like you I had been planning my own story set in Liberty City in 1978 and had actually planned it out pretty thoroughly. I have been messaging EM_JAY_86 for a while now and aside from trading ideas for his Corsican Connection topic I've given him permission to re-purpose many of the characters I created/ripped. Some of the characters and events I've alluded to in this topic though so you may still be able to get a sense of what my plans were.

Other periods that I think would work well are the mid 80s or the early (or even late) 60s. In real life there were a lot of conflicts going on among the five families at that time that I think would translate well into a concept.

EDIT: You can all read the next part of the story below. I've taken a slightly different literary approach with this one and written it in a style more akin to a novel. I find myself constantly speaking about the characters feelings and motivations so I decided to just stick them in the text of the mission instead. They appear prominently in one scene in particular because I feel if I were to leave them out it would seem a bit too ambiguous and I want to let people know where each of the characters stand (for the most part at least :colgate:). The mission will probably seem to some to be a bit controversial (since it involves a much loved character possibly being killed) but I think his death would be somewhat justified given how much he's f*cked some people over. I will say though that it's not that straight forward. My aim is to present a real moral dilemma in a way that we haven't really gotten in a GTA game thus far. Anyway I hope you guys like it. As always your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Money Over Bullshit

The Notorious MOB

Chapter 18 - Clearing House

Part 1 "Just When You Thought You Were Out..."

This chapter will be initiated inside Carlo's home on Richmond Island. The portable phone in his hallway will start to ring and he will emerge from off camera and answer it to hear the voice of his mother on the other end of the line.

"Hey baby it's your mother"

Carlo: "Hey ma"

Mrs. Devino: "How come you never come to see me nomore?"

Carlo: "Sorry ma, I've just been really busy with work lately"

Mrs. Devino: "You work too hard you should take a vacation"

Carlo: "Vacation huh? Actually that doesn't sound like a bad idea"

As Carlo says this he will walk by his living room window and something will catch his eye. Two dark coloured sedans will have pulled up on the sidewalk in front of his house and several FIB agents will have begun to emerge from them.

Carlo will suddenly be overcome with panic

Carlo: "Listen ma, I've gotta go there's somebody at the door. I'll come by and see you soon ok"

Mrs. Devino: "Ok hunny but make sure you get some rest ok"

With the agents almost at his door now Carlo will hang up without saying goodbye to his mother and throw the phone onto the couch before making a break for the back door as the agents begin to knock loudly out front calling for him to open up.

Carlo will scale a wall at the back of his house almost falling face first in the snow and run down an alleyway onto the street at which point you will be instructed to escape from the feds. Passing in front of the house will not be an option so you will need to head in the opposite direction and find another way of vacating the area. Once you have gotten a safe distance away Carlo will make a phonecall to Peter Gravelli only to be answered by somebody else.

"Hello Alazone's"

Carlo: "Yeah hello who's this?"

There will be a brief pause on the other end in which a muffled groan will be heard

"It's Alazone's Italian food store, this is Alberto, how may I help you?"

Carlo: "Hey Al it's Carlo, I was actually looking for Pete"

Alberto: "I'm trying to run a business here. If you wanna talk to Pete you can call him on his cellphone"

Carlo: "Yeah.. sorry about that.. is he there?"

Alberto: "Yeah he's here. But if you wanna talk to him you can come by and see him ok"

Alberto will hang up abruptly and you will be instructed to head over to Broker and make your way to Alazone's. When you get there a cutscene will be initiated whereby Carlo will enter through the front door and make his way to the office in the back where he will find Peter who will greet him as he enters.

"Ah Carlo, just the man I've been looking for"

He will usher Carlo in and close the door behind him before continuing

"Remember those Sicilian cousins I mentioned? Well one of them and a few of his buddies just got released from the can. They're looking to re-establish their operations but it's gonna take a while before they can get their supply lines back up and running so I was thinking we could relieve some of the other gangs around the city of their product instead.. build up our stocks while reducing those of our competitors, thus eliminating the competition. Then we can make money by flooding the market with their substandard product, maximising the demand once we get the good sh*t shipped in from Sicily. Maybe then we can close the gap on them f*cking Pavanos once and for all. The way I see it this place gives us the perfect cover.. we can steal the stuff and then package it up, then we disguise it as food stuffs and distribute it around the city in our vans"

Carlo: "Great idea Pete, why didn't anybody think of that sooner?"

Carlo will say this sarcastically, something which will be completely lost on his capo

Peter: "I know, it is kind of genius isn't it"

Carlo: "It's one of the best ideas I've heard all week. As good as it is though I don't think I should be getting involved in any more sh*t right now"

Peter: "Whaddya mean?"

Carlo: "I mean I've got a problem I need to talk to you about"

Peter will lean in to Carlo and lower his tone

"It's not anything sexual is it?"

Carlo: "No Pete.. it's actually more serious"

Peter will grimace at the thought

"It's the feds, they came by my house but I didn't answer. No doubt it has something to do with that stunt we pulled at your uncle's funeral"

He will now grow suspicious

"Why the f*ck are you telling me this?"

Carlo: "Cause I thought you should know.. and you're one of the only people I feel I can trust"

Peter: "Ok..."

Carlo: "I need you to do me a favour.. I need to get out of town for a while and I need you to okay it with Zito"

Peter: "Are you f*cking crazy? If he hears about this he's gonna think you're a rat and if I go to him with it he'll kill the f*cking both of us.. or worse still he'll give it to Vinnie. You saw how eager he was to cut Ziffarelli's balls off.. I don't even want to think about what will happen to us. If they come knocking again you need to just answer them and then plead the fifth. If they wanna bring you in then you're just gonna have to take it like a man"

He will now begin pushing Carlo towards the door

Carlo: "Come on Pete, I really f*cking need this"

Peter: "No way man. I aint gonna say nothing to Zito but you can't run away from this. My advice to you would be to get yourself a lawyer and keep your f*cking mouth shut. Then just hope that this thing goes away"

Carlo: "Well thanks a f*cking lot buddy, I really appreciate it"

Carlo will leave in anger as Peter continues to ramble on

"You got some f*cking balls coming to me with something like that. Tryna get us both f*cking killed is what you're doing"...

The scene will fade out and you will re-emerge on the sidewalk. Carlo will pull out his phone and dial up Paulie Gianco who will answer quite promptly in a jovial tone.

"Hola it's Paulie, talk to me"

Carlo: "Hey big man it's Carlo. Listen I need a favour"

Paulie: "Now you need a favour huh?"

There will be a mutual silence as Paulie thinks for a moment and Carlo declines to answer

"Where are you now?"

Carlo: "I'm in Broker"

Paulie: "Ok make your way over to the club by the golf course on Richmond Island and then we can talk. I'll have my guy bring a chopper for you"

Carlo: "Thanks Paul I'll see you soon"

You should now make your way over to the heliport in Algonquin to meet with your pilot. Alternatively you can make your own way to the country club and bypass the chopper journey which you will need to pay for.

Once you get to the club you will be treated to another cutscene. Carlo will walk into a cosy yet spacious lounge area with a bar along the wall. Paulie will be sitting at a table in front of the door of a patio which looks out onto the golf course next to a blazing fire with a glass of egg nog sitting in front of him. He will wave to Carlo who will have struggled to see him in the sparsely populated lounge until now.

Carlo will approach Paulie's table and he will stand up and show him to a seat opposite him at the table. Carlo will sit down and Paulie will join him and then begin to speak

"This is nice isn't it?"

"Yeah.. it's kind of quiet though"

Carlo will begin to make himself comfortable. A bit of a sit down is just what he needed. Paulie will seem equally as happy to have somebody to talk to

"That's what I love about it. Plus there isn't many people who want to play a round of golf in this weather so it's even less busy than usual"

Carlo will not answer, conveying his desire to get right down to business rather than engage in small talk and Paulie will astutely pick up on this.

"So you said you needed a favour.. what can I do you for?"

"I'm in a spot of bother and I need to disappear for a while. You said you know some people down in Vice City so I was hoping you could help"

Carlo will become a little uneasy as he relays even the barest details of his current situation

"That's right but I gotta ask, why didn't you go to your own people?"

Carlo will look away so as not to become emotional

"I did but they weren't exactly willing to help"

Paulie will give a slight chuckle. It's a situation he knows all too well

"You just learned yourself another lesson in mob politics. In this life everything flows up and nothing flows down. I guess now you're realising who your friends are"

"You said it. So can you help?"

Carlo didn't go there for a lecture. His life lessons have well and truly been learned

"Sure I can but I'm going to have to ask you to do for me something in return"

Paulie will lay his cards on the table and Carlo will show a little reluctance but realise that he hasn't really got any choice

"Just when I thought I was out you pull me right back in"

Carlo will chuckle now too

"So let me guess, you want somebody hit"

Paulie will feign a hint of surprise at the suggestion

"What makes you say that?"

Carlo will shoot him a somewhat smug grin

"Cause if it were anything else you'd have someone else do it"

Paulie will be impressed but will try to cover it up

"That's uh very perceptive. But it just so happens that this particular hit may be in your interest"

Carlo will be intrigued now

"Yeah? How so?"

Paulie will lean in over the table in order to close the gap and counteract any eavesdroppers that may be around

"You remember when somebody stole our shipment of coke? Well we managed to find out who did it. Turns out it was the f*cking Pegorinos. More specifically it was a guy named Bell. He had some of his boys jack the truck that was supposed to be used for the pick up and then he posed as one of our guys and tried to pick it up. The Russians weren't having any of it but he killed them and took it anyway"

Carlo will be weary at the depth of his knowledge but will choose not to question it, instead choosing to sift for more information

"It's just like you said. You think he was the one behind Charlie getting whacked too?"

Paulie will lean back now as if to be pondering his next move in a game of chess

"Yeah. Only these days, old Phil, he aint much of a shooter, so I'm thinking he had some help. Either way it don't matter cause he's the one the old guy wants to pay for this"

Carlo will look Paulie right in the eyes in order to assess his true motivations but he will sit there stoic as ever

"And what about his family? Aren't they gonna have something to say about this?"

Paulie will grin with a sense of victory

"Haven't you heard kid? The Pegorinos are finished. The skipper is dead and almost all of their territory has been seized by the Pavanos"

His grin will remain, hiding a sense of perturbment

"Didn't you guys have some interests up there too?"

Carlo will continue with his veiled interrogation

"We did but we lost it.. even more politics. It turns out one of our Capos, Frankie Garone, the one I told you about in the restaurant.."

Carlo won't even flinch

"Sure I remember"

Paulie will grow slightly angry now

"..Well the little bastard whacked one of their guys without permission so as payback we let them take over some of our Alderney rackets. All in all our family's taken quite a hit in recent months, so for now, we're doing most of our business down here on the island"

Carlo will choose not to express his condolences at their reduction in power, instead choosing to redirect the conversation to Frankie Garone

"This Frankie.. he was mixed up with the Albanians too right? I mean isn't that part of the reason I had to light up their headquarters?"

He will also use the opportunity to remind Paulie of his service to him

"Yeah that's right and we didn't get to reap the benefits of that one neither. Their territory has been seized by the Koreans but apparently they're being backed by the Messinas because now they're dealing heroin with the Triads and they're using the gooks as distributors on the streets. You gotta remember though Bohan is Lupisella territory and I can't see them being too happy about that"

Carlo won't let Paulie's exposition throw him off his quest for answers

"Speaking of heroin, what happened with that Rascalov deal?"

He knows full well it didn't end good but wants to see what Paulie has to say about it

"It turned out to be a real mess. I don't even want to talk about it. I will say this though I wasn't exactly sad to hear about him meeting his end"

It's unlikely that Carlo was either but he decides to be just as closed off on the matter

"So this Bell guy is the only remaining obstacle in your path now huh?"

They both know that the murder probably isn't going to solve anything but it never the less needs to be done

"I wouldn't say that but he definitely needs to pay for what he's done. If we have any respect left with the other families it's gonna disappear pretty quickly if they find out we let him away with it"

Paulie will speak as if to be repeating something said to him by somebody else. He will feign conviction but it's obvious he doesn't fully believe in this reasoning.

"And at the end of the day that's all that matters right. So where can I find this Bell guy anyway?"

Carlo will convey an inherent coldness to Paulie's plight. This is strictly business, a deal which is beneficial to both of them and he knows that he can't let either of their emotions get in the way

"My guys have been tailing him for a while now. The last I heard his car was spotted outside of a mansion on Beaverhead Avenue in Alderney. Apparently it's been spotted there almost everyday this week. I'm not one for gossip but the house belonged to Jimmy Pegorino and apparently there's some history between his widow and Phil. Sounds like she's moving on.. I'm sure Jimmy P wouldn't be too happy if he were around to hear"

It's plainly evident that despite what Paulie says, a bit of gossip is something that he thoroughly enjoys

"Really? I'm sure he'd be delighted that she's found somebody to share her pain with on this cold winter nights. If you want me to hit the both of them you're gonna have to bump those plane tickets up to first class"

Carlo will speak with a smarmy sarcasm that is borderline disrespectful. The finer details are inconsequential since his preoccupation lies in escaping from his trouble with the feds. At this point he would gladly kill an innocent woman if it meant an easy way out

"I know you're probably kidding but no, we don't want you to hit him near the house neither. Just wait outside until he leaves and see where he goes. If he stops off somewhere isolated you can do it there"

Carlo will barely give Paulie a chance to finish his sentence before pulling out his chair from the table in order to leave

"Let's just hope old Philly's a one minute man"

Carlo will now stand up and leave the country club as Paulie has a chuckle, raises his glass and then finishes his egg nog as the screen fades to black.

Your next port of call will be the Pegorino mansion on Beaverhead Avenue in Westdyke. When you get there you must pull into a marker across the street from the house in order to initiate another short cutscene in which your target Phil Bell will hug a middle aged woman on the porch and then get into his car and take off down the driveway onto the street at which point you will be prompted to follow him.

This will be a standard tailing section. Don't get too close or Bell will spot you. After a few minutes he will pull into an industrial yard in Port Tudor and park up outside a portacabin. You will follow him inside to find him taking an envelope from his desk. He will not even notice you come in. Carlo could kill him right there and then but he decides to verify his identity first

"Are you Phil Bell?"

Phil will turn around slightly startled

"Yeah.. who the f*ck are you?"

Carlo will reach into the rear of his pants

"It don't matter who I am. All that matters is I'm here to kill you"

Phil will step out from behind the desk and advance slightly towards you

"What the hell are you talking about?"

Carlo will pull out a pistol and aim it at his torso

"Paulie Gianco sends his regards"

You will now be given the opportunity to execute him however you can also spare him if you want. Either way if wait around for a minute you will be treated to some interesting dialogue which may change your decision.

"Paulie Gianco? That Motherf*cker. He's just trying to save his own ass"

"This is about the sugar right? The whole thing was his f*ckin idea. He told me about the shipment and came up with the plan. It was his idea to whack out Charlie too"

"Jesus christ pal you've gotta believe me please"

"Me and Angie were just about to catch a flight to the Carribean.. in fact I just came over her to grab the tickets from my desk. I'll stay down there and go off the radar.. you won't ever have to hear from me again"

"Come on now buddy what dya say, can you do me this favour?"

You will be given a few more seconds in which to make your decision on his fate. If you fail to react a random choice will be made for you. Once a choice has been made Carlo will leave the office and call up Paulie Gianco

Paulie: "It's done?"

Carlo: "Let's just say you won't be hearing from your friend again"

Paulie: "Beautiful. The old man will be delighted. I'll speak to you soon"

You are now free to do as you please but it's probably best to avoid your house on Richmond Island and use your apartment in Algonquin instead.

Click Here for Part 2

• Like 2

MythicalCreature

So, this is the final full chapter?

I like where this is going. Carlo getting in trouble with the feds to begin with, then his 'friends' reluctance to help him out of the mess, him resorting to other means to escape trouble, I don't know. Might lead to an interesting climax for the story. I'm actually anticipating a dramatic turn of events before the ending, might change the whole course of the story as well as give the ending a more climactic feel. But of course, it's up to you how you plan to map out the ending :)

Waiting for more.

Edited by TheRevolution

The Notorious MOB

So, this is the final full chapter?

I like where this is going. Carlo getting in trouble with the feds to begin with, then his 'friends' reluctance to help him out of the mess, him resorting to other means to escape trouble, I don't know. Might lead to an interesting climax for the story. I'm actually anticipating a dramatic turn of events before the ending, might change the whole course of the story as well as give the ending a more climactic feel. But of course, it's up to you how you plan to map out the ending :)

Waiting for more.

Yes this is the final full chapter. It will contain two more parts and the next one Chapter 19 (which only contains one mission) will be the big finale. Hopefully the last few pieces of the puzzle won't disappoint you. I should hopefully have the next part done soon enough but that could change. The idea is that all three parts of this particular chapter would happen in pretty quick succession so I may hold off on posting until I have both parts done. Does this sound like a good idea??

Naughtius Maximus

Such a twist when Phil B showed up out of nowhere, but not in a bad way, it actually makes sense. I've always felt that Paulie was a slippery bastard, and I guess I have been right about this idea of mine more or less. Paulie is a really good-qualified mafioso, but as far as I remember from his background, he could never get the chance to fulfill his righteous potential. When Phil told that whole cocaine scheme was his idea and he actually was the one who planned the hit on Chubby Charlie, geniunely I couldn't be shocked, because we're talking about a foxy figure like Paulie here... and it makes sense. Paulie made his debut as a pretty strong character, and I think with this part of the story, he reached to the top of his character development. It seems like Paulie finally got the place he deserved, but my question is... at what cost?

On another point, I think this chapter was also special in a more important way; it shows us that the family idea in figure is actually not strong and fulfilling as it's advertised. They say the family is with them when they need help, protection but what happens to Carlo here? He goes right to his capo when FIB has almost stung him, but Pete's only answer is "Take it like a man.", then what happened the moral codes of the mafia? The mafia as a whole idea is egoistic, selfish, cheap and hypocritical... that's what this part of story smartly depicted.

Edited by TheUnholy

The Notorious MOB

Such a twist when Phil B showed up out of nowhere, but not in a bad way, it actually makes sense. I've always felt that Paulie was a slippery bastard, and I guess I have been right about this idea of mine more or less. Paulie is a really good-qualified mafioso, but as far as I remember from his background, he could never get the chance to fulfill his righteous potential. When Phil told that whole cocaine scheme was his idea and he actually was the one who planned the hit on Chubby Charlie, geniunely I couldn't be shocked, because we're talking about a foxy figure like Paulie here... and it makes sense. Paulie made his debut as a pretty strong character, and I think with this part of the story, he reached to the top of his character development. It seems like Paulie finally got the place he deserved, but my question is... at what cost?

On another point, I think this chapter was also special in a more important way; it shows us that the family idea in figure is actually not strong and fulfilling as it's advertised. They say the family is with them when they need help, protection but what happens to Carlo here? He goes right to his capo when FIB has almost stung him, but Pete's only answer is "Take it like a man.", then what happened the moral codes of the mafia? The mafia as a whole idea is egoistic, selfish, cheap and hypocritical... that's what this part of story smartly depicted.

So far we only really have Phil's word to go on so who's to say for sure who's telling the truth. In GTA IV I didn't exactly see him as a totally honest person and he did throw Ray Boccino under the bus when the opportunity presented itself in order to save his own ass. Carlo doesn't know him from adam and up until now Paulie has been pretty straight with him so he'd have no real reason to believe he orchestrated the scheme. Given what you all know as casual observers though it does seem pretty likely that he's guilty as sin, especially given how much of an opportunist he actually is. Carlo will eventually confront him but whether he admits to any wrongdoing or not remains to be seen.

Loyalty (or the lack of it) is definitely a theme which runs throughout the piece and one which will carry over and run through the chapter as a whole. Contrary to the mafia code of honor and loyalty it has been seen time and again that in the real world it is almost non existant. Carlo is still trying hard to hold onto his romantic view of the mafia but this marks a definite turning point in his attitude towards others around him and I also hope to show these loyalties being tested even more in the coming installments.

• Like 1

That was great man. Probably the most cynical writing you've done yet. I've said before how much I like the theme of self preservation that runs through this story and I was glad of how much an appearance it made here. Right from the start Carlo has to leg the fence to escape the feds and then there's Peter, who wants nothing to do with his problems for fear of being killed by Zito (himself probably fearful of rats), so Carlo has to go to Paulie for an out. You give us a good look into a flawed system which pretty much makes its own downfall.

Paulie's my favorite mobster you've written. And that's even next to the likes of Zito, Louie the Cowboy, Frank Lupisella, Jimmy Capra and many more. Simply put, I wish there were more portrays of mobsters like the way you've portrayed Paulie. Like TheUnholy said, he's a smart bastard. Look at the Ancelotti Family tree on the first page. Everyone above Paulie has been killed off, save for their Don. He's waited for his moment and can pretty much do whatever he wants. You've orchestrated it perfectly.

Also: pinning everything on a guy who's 90% Irish and tied to a defunct family. Shrewd as f*ck.

The only thing I didn't like in this mission was the choice to kill or spare Phil. I know that if I was playing this, there is no way I wouldn't spare him. And that's more my decision than Carlo's, which kinda takes away from his predicament. I need to see him as a ticket to Vice City instead of someone I fought next to in GTAIV. Either way, you portrayed him beautifully right to the point I could envisage his movements and just the way his speech was characterized with terms like "the sugar" and so on. Great stuff.

Speaking of tickets, line of the mission has to go to Carlo for this beauty:

"If you want me to hit the both of them you're gonna have to bump those plane tickets up to first class."

:^:

Something else I really liked was that this is obviously post-ending of GTAIV we're at now and you're describing how things are changing, how they would probably look if we were to revisit LC. The Pavanos have taken most of the Pegorinos turf in Alderney; the Gambettis are going to continue the cycle of ripping off product to try close the gap on the Pavanos; the Messinas are backing the Koreans into Lupisella territory; we've seen the Gambettis move into Hove Beach. And you cleared up the Phil Bell thing. You truly set the groundwork for Liberty City to be a different place if we were to revisit it in this day and age.

The Notorious MOB

That was great man. Probably the most cynical writing you've done yet. I've said before how much I like the theme of self preservation that runs through this story and I was glad of how much an appearance it made here. Right from the start Carlo has to leg the fence to escape the feds and then there's Peter, who wants nothing to do with his problems for fear of being killed by Zito (himself probably fearful of rats), so Carlo has to go to Paulie for an out. You give us a good look into a flawed system which pretty much makes its own downfall.

Paulie's my favorite mobster you've written. And that's even next to the likes of Zito, Louie the Cowboy, Frank Lupisella, Jimmy Capra and many more. Simply put, I wish there were more portrays of mobsters like the way you've portrayed Paulie. Like TheUnholy said, he's a smart bastard. Look at the Ancelotti Family tree on the first page. Everyone above Paulie has been killed off, save for their Don. He's waited for his moment and can pretty much do whatever he wants. You've orchestrated it perfectly.

Also: pinning everything on a guy who's 90% Irish and tied to a defunct family. Shrewd as f*ck.

The only thing I didn't like in this mission was the choice to kill or spare Phil. I know that if I was playing this, there is no way I wouldn't spare him. And that's more my decision than Carlo's, which kinda takes away from his predicament. I need to see him as a ticket to Vice City instead of someone I fought next to in GTAIV. Either way, you portrayed him beautifully right to the point I could envisage his movements and just the way his speech was characterized with terms like "the sugar" and so on. Great stuff.

Speaking of tickets, line of the mission has to go to Carlo for this beauty:

"If you want me to hit the both of them you're gonna have to bump those plane tickets up to first class."

:^:

Something else I really liked was that this is obviously post-ending of GTAIV we're at now and you're describing how things are changing, how they would probably look if we were to revisit LC. The Pavanos have taken most of the Pegorinos turf in Alderney; the Gambettis are going to continue the cycle of ripping off product to try close the gap on the Pavanos; the Messinas are backing the Koreans into Lupisella territory; we've seen the Gambettis move into Hove Beach. And you cleared up the Phil Bell thing. You truly set the groundwork for Liberty City to be a different place if we were to revisit it in this day and age.

I actually kind of felt a bit of pressure to include an option to spare him since a lot of people would be pissed of if you had to kill him. In the end though your choice won't actually matter (I will address this with a news headline after the next part).

The Pavanos taking over the Ancelottis territory was done to match up with the real life Mafia wherein the Genoveses have a whole faction in New Jersey whereas the Colombos only have crews in in Brooklyn, Manhattan and Staten Island which is why I had the Ancelottis mostly operating in Algonquin and Richmond Island by the end of the story. The other shifts were done in order to tie into Chinatown Wars where the Koreans (known as the Midtown Gangsters) occupy eastern Bohan and are said to have ties to the Messina Family and the Triads. This was probably done without very much thought being given but I wanted to give it some context none the less. In the game Jimmy Capra also operates from a compound in Boulevard (opposite the tennis courts seen in the mission "Shifting Weight") which is something I will probably allude to a little bit later. With Joe Corolla and his underling Louie both pushing up daisies the Pavanos would probably begin to pull out of the heroin market making way for the Gambettis who want to dive into it now in a big way.

Claude4Catalina

Nope...whole load of nope.

But what brilliant writing though! You can really sense Carlo's desperation to lay low for a while, as well as take in the whole "help me out and I might hook you up, but probably wont" attitude of Peter; and Paulie using Carlo to distance himself for the the hit shows how much a shrewd bastard he really is, as a character I never liked him, but I do like how well written he is. Same with your characterisation of Phil Bell; you nailed him down f*cking perfectly as a character however I disagree with the way you see Phil; I always felt he was straight with Niko out of a certain respect; both of them being relative outsiders to LCN, I felt if things had panned out differently with Ray and Jimmy P, Niko would've earned himself a spot next to Phil in a few years; obviously never earning his button, but certainly having a high standing in the Pegorino inner circle. I hate the fact that Phil became a target, but its makes sense; similar to near the end of Casino when all the ranking mobsters involved in the skim agree they need to tie up every loose end, no matter if they like the guy or not, they need to ensure their own survival first and foremost. So with Phil being the last loose end connected to the Pegorino's; it makes sense for him to have a price on his head. Perhaps if he had been ten years younger and a bigger pair of balls; he could have made part of Alderney his own and paid dues to Paulie; but at the age of 41 and not being full Italian, it was almost inevitable for him to become a target.

As a side note, I guess Phil's death would work as almost a reference to Rosalie Aprile's curse on men; given that Sharon Angela played Rosalie and voiced Angie and almost every man her characters come across end up as compost, I think I'm owed a cookie for spotting that, if it was intentional?

Either way, the writing gets an easy 10/10, and pains me to say, but you made a simple "drive her, speak to a guy, go tail some guy then kill him" mission a whole lot more interesting by bringing on board on a familiar character. Good job mate.

The Notorious MOB

Nope...whole load of nope.

But what brilliant writing though! You can really sense Carlo's desperation to lay low for a while, as well as take in the whole "help me out and I might hook you up, but probably wont" attitude of Peter; and Paulie using Carlo to distance himself for the the hit shows how much a shrewd bastard he really is, as a character I never liked him, but I do like how well written he is. Same with your characterisation of Phil Bell; you nailed him down f*cking perfectly as a character however I disagree with the way you see Phil; I always felt he was straight with Niko out of a certain respect; both of them being relative outsiders to LCN, I felt if things had panned out differently with Ray and Jimmy P, Niko would've earned himself a spot next to Phil in a few years; obviously never earning his button, but certainly having a high standing in the Pegorino inner circle. I hate the fact that Phil became a target, but its makes sense; similar to near the end of Casino when all the ranking mobsters involved in the skim agree they need to tie up every loose end, no matter if they like the guy or not, they need to ensure their own survival first and foremost. So with Phil being the last loose end connected to the Pegorino's; it makes sense for him to have a price on his head. Perhaps if he had been ten years younger and a bigger pair of balls; he could have made part of Alderney his own and paid dues to Paulie; but at the age of 41 and not being full Italian, it was almost inevitable for him to become a target.

As a side note, I guess Phil's death would work as almost a reference to Rosalie Aprile's curse on men; given that Sharon Angela played Rosalie and voiced Angie and almost every man her characters come across end up as compost, I think I'm owed a cookie for spotting that, if it was intentional?

Either way, the writing gets an easy 10/10, and pains me to say, but you made a simple "drive her, speak to a guy, go tail some guy then kill him" mission a whole lot more interesting by bringing on board on a familiar character. Good job mate.

Cheers for the comments man, given your somewhat vested interest in Phil as a character it's particularly good to get your thoughts on the events. Rumour has it that the original version of Pest Control would have had you choose yourself on whether to whack Phil or Ray. This isn't why I chose to have Carlo determine his fate but I do wonder what the ratio of people would have been like for those who chose to kill him rather than Ray (on a first playthrough I mean). I knew it was a pretty bold move but as you say it makes sense from a story standpoint seeing as though you are essentially working on behalf of the enemy and hopefully it will make even more sense in the long run. I actually kind of see the relationship between Carlo and Paulie as initially being similar to the one between Phil and Niko and then shifting to be more like the one between Niko and Ray. Both he and Phil are introduced alongside an antagonistic sidekick and educate the respective protagonists in the somewhat ridiculous and confusing ways of the mafia. It was my intention to make them that way it's just something that occurred to me when you mentioned how Phil was with Niko. As far as the little easter egg with Sharon Angela goes it actually wasn't intentional at all but well done for making that link :)

I've started working on the next part of the story and I hope to have it posted up before the week is out. Hopefully after this one you will be able to see where it's all going to end. I will continue to tie up the loose ends (while simultaneously throwing one or two more spanners in the works) in the final part of the chapter but hopefully people will start to get a sense that there is a somewhat definitive ending in sight.

The Notorious MOB

Chapter 18

Part 2 - "Banging Cuban Broads and Sipping Margaritas"

This part will be initiated by a phonecall from Paulie which will come shortly after completion of your previous assignment.

Paulie: "Hey how' you doin' buddy"

Carlo: "I'm doing good. Any word on them tickets yet?"

Paulie: "Yeah man I'm working on it but first I want you to meet with the old guy so he can thank you in person for that piece of work you did"

Carlo: "And then it's off to Vice City right?"

Paulie: "You'll be banging Cuban broads and sipping margaritas before you know it pal"

Carlo: "So where does the old guy want me to meet him?"

Paulie: "He didn't say but your transportation to the rendezvous has already been arranged. Make your way over to the beach by the cliffs in Leftwood and he'll have someone collect you from there"

Carlo: "And here was me thinking that 'the rendez vous' was a club in Tequesta. Ok man tell your boys I'll be over there before they can sing about Pina Coladas and getting caught in the rain"

Paulie: "Sounds good to me. I'll tell them to go and meet you over there now"

Exit your apartment and head towards the Hickey Bridge into Leftwood, turn right and head onto Franklin St. then left onto Applewhite and down onto the beach where you will find two men dressed in highly inappropriate tank tops and tracksuits with the sleeves rolled up waiting for you in a dinghy.

"Are you Carlo?" one will ask and Carlo will nod

"Hop in"

Carlo will comply and step out into the Dinghy, noting the pistol glistening in the front of the man's trousers as he passes him by

"Take a seat.. make yourself comfortable" the man will say as his partner in the driver seat remains silent.

Carlo will take one of two seats in the back and the man will sit down beside him as the driver powers up the motors and begins his departure.

"Ok but where are we going?" Carlo will ask.

"We're going down south"

The driver will snicker

"Just sit back and enjoy the ride"

Carlo has seen enough Marty Coluzzo movies to know that "going down south" is probably more of a euphemism for him being taken out to the ocean and shot in the head, but he remains seated anyway out of pure curiosity.

After a timelapse (and a shift to night time) the dinghy will moor by the dock in Port Haven on Richmond Island right beside the construction site that Carlo had helped to organise the Gambetti's partnership in with the Ancelottis. This will put him slightly at ease. He's made it here alive and he figures that given his connection to the deal, this meeting will probably be business related.

Somewhat reassured he will follow the two men up the dock and into the construction site where the snow on the ground will have turned to a dark grey sludge due to dirt and heavy traffic. He will however still be a little curious and as they make their way to the front of the construction yard he will inquire as to the purpose of the meeting, only to be told "you'll see" by the more vocal of the two wiseguys.

Just as he says this an all black Cognoscenti will pull into the construction yard and grind to a halt, stopping at a lateral angle to Carlo and the wiseguys now positioned either side of him. A man in a dark suit and terribly out of season sunglasses will emerge from the driver seat to open the door at the rear at which point an older man dressed similarly in a dark suit with an open cravat and fawn coloured overcoat will emerge from it. Standing to his feet from the car with the aid of a walking stick he will shuffle towards Carlo and the other two men. Without even lending him the courtesy of an introduction he will plant his cane to the concrete with both hands and begin to speak in a volume a little inappropriate even for outdoors

"Carlo Devino. It's so good to finally meet you"

The man will say in an old style Brokerese accent typically associated with your stereotypical Vinewood gangster

"You too Mr. Ancelotti" Carlo will say, under absolutely no illusion as to who the man is.

At this point two other men will emerge from the car, armed respectively with a baseball bat and a pump action shotgun. They will take up their positions straddling Old Man Ancelotti as he continues to speak at Carlo rather than to him.

"First of all let me thank you for that little favour you did for me. It was nice.. real nice. But it doesn't quite make up for all the things you did to try and ruin my family!"

The wiseguys either side of Carlo will grab firmly hold of him as Don Giovanni begins to wave his cane in his direction. He will in turn be dumbfounded at Ancelottis sudden change in demeanor only managing to muster a "w..wha.." and a startled expression from his now gaping jaw.

"Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about. You tried to rip me off. And then make a deal with me like everything's kosher"

Carlo will attempt to speak only to be struck hard across the face by Giovanni's cane

"Don't even try and deny it"

He will shake the cane in Carlo's face, ensuring his silence and walk slightly into the distance of the open construction yard to look up at the moon which will now be full in the sky

"When I came to this country almost 60 years ago I had nothing.. I didn't even speak the language. Over the years I managed to build up an empire but now thanks to you and your friends the Messinas I have nothing again"

He will spin around once again and point at Carlo with his cane

"..No men, no drugs, no territory, no waste disposal or construction contracts... but worst of all now I look like an idiot.. and I aint the type of man who likes to look like an idiot"

He will now drop his cane to his side and begin to point his old bony finger in Carlo's face. By now he will have regained his composure and will remain seemingly unshaken, despite the blood now running from his jaw

"So what now? You brought me here to kill me is that it? You make me pay for what I've done and everything you've lost just comes flowing back to you?"

Carlo will spit some blood in the dirt as if to be spitting on Ancelotti and his whole organisation. In retaliation Giovanni will smash him in the stomach with his the top of his cane causing him to keel over in pain. He will then stick it under Carlo's chin and raise his head up so that his eyes meet his unforgiving stare

"No.. I brought you here so you could at least see the fruits of your labour before you die. I'm gonna make you pay because it'll make me feel better"

He will now release Carlo's head letting it drop to his chest

"I shouldn't even pay you the courtesy.. you know some people say I'm a ruthless old bastard but I actually think I'm a little too nice to people for my own good. It gives people the wrong idea sometimes.. makes pricks like you think that they can take advantage of me. Well guess what.. I also don't like to be taken advantage of and that's something you're going to learn kid.. you try and play with the big boys and you get yourself burned. I guess you thought you were pretty smart playing off alla' the sides like that.. well I guess you feel pretty stupid now huh?"

Giovanni will speak with animation like a hammy thespian as he makes a gesture filled show to accompany his words. Carlo will use this as an opportunity to finally get a word in edgeways.

"It wasn't anything personal, a job is a job.. I coulda been ripping off anybody and it wouldn't have mattered. Life is too short for personal vendettas"

Giovanni will grab him by his face

"So that's what you think huh? Well unfortunately for you I don't give a f*ck what you think you little cocksucker"

He will now release his grip and turn to his henchman

"Hey Marco, hand me the shotty"

He will toss his cane over to one of his men and take a shotgun from another to his left. He will pump it and then bring the butt of it down on Carlo's forehead knocking him to his knees, at which point he will be dragged back to his feet in agony by the wiseguys either side him. Giovanni will now aim the barrel of the shotgun at his head and start with another monologue

"You little f*cking pissant.. you think you're a big man because you're with the Gambettis? Well look at you now. You honestly think they're gonna give a f*ck about an insignificant footsoldier? I'll give them an extra percentage on this construction deal and they'll forget all about you. Guys like you are a dime a dosen kid.. I should know.. I've lost a f*cking nough of 'em"

He will beat his chest in order to display his ferocity

"Lift his f*cking head up. I want him to look me in the eye and remember this"

The wiseguy on the left will lift up Carlo's bloody head by his hair and Ancelotti will strike upwards, hitting him on the chin with the shotgun. The wiseguys will then let go of him, letting him fall limply to the ground, almost defeated. Ancelotti will then hand the shotty back to his henchman.

"You ain't gonna shoot him?" the henchman will ask.

"I want to give him a little bit more time to think about what he's done. Take him upstairs and stick him under the concrete. And knock a bit of sense into him before you do"

The guy on the left will hand Giovanni back his cane and he will now begin to walk towards his car as the driver gets out in order to open the rear door for him. Before entering the car he will turn to address the wiseguy to whom he just handed the shotgun

"I'd love to stick around and watch you bury this prick but it's too cold and quite frankly I have better things to do"

"Whatever you say boss" the wiseguy will say, walking over to the Cognoscenti to hand the shotgun to the driver before walking back to the other three wiseguys who by now will have dragged Carlo's motionless body away.

Giovanni will call out from the door frame of the vehicle, giving his final instructions to his men before leaving.

"And I don't want to hear that they found the body neither so make sure you put him down deep where he won't be found"

The closest wiseguy will nod as he goes to join up with the others. As they proceed to beat the living sh*t out of Carlo the scene will draw to a close as Giovanni's car speeds out of the construction site.

You will awaken some time later on the floor of the third floor of the construction site and will be initially unable to move anything but Carlo's head as he looks about the room with blurred vision. In a somewhat ironic twist "Escape" by Rupert Holmes can be heard coming from a stereo in the next room. As you look around your vision will gradually begin to become clearer and you will be able to make out the two wiseguys who brought you there on the dinghy, one standing by a pit in the floor and the other standing quite close to you by a workbench that is littered with various tools, screwing a silencer onto his handgun. They will be discussing how best to dispose of you.

"Come on man we need to hurry this up.. it's only a matter of time before he wakes up. We gave him quite the beating but he's still breathing. In fact I coulda sworn I just seen him move"

The wiseguy by the workbench will turn and look at Carlo and he will close his eyes and play possum.

"There he goes again"

The other wiseguy however will express his feelings of doubt

"You're crazy. The way we beat on him he's going to be out for at least an hour"

"I swear to f*cking good his eyes are moving. I should just put one in his head and be done with it" the first guy will say.

He will now put down his pistol and begin to walk towards you until other guy stops him in his tracks.

"Shut up. We just gotta wait for this mixer to power up and then we can bury him and get outta here"

The first wiseguy will now turn back around at which point Carlo will open his eyes again and fix his attention on a cement mixer which is now churning away beside the pit where the other guy is standing.

"I don't understand why we didn't toss him in first and then turn on the mixer.. at least then if he wakes up he'll need to climb out of the pit"

"No man we need to turn on the mixer and then throw him in the pit.. he aint gonna wake up I'm telling you"

As the two men have their conversation you will once again be able to look around the room, at which point various implements will now become visible to you surrounded by a white version of the traditional GTA glow. The closest one to you will be a red brick lying on the floor to your right.

"Ok man whatever you say" the first wiseguy will say and go back to the bench and finish screwing on the silencer to his gun.

It will now become worryingly apparent that unless you can do something fast your future days on this earth will be non existent. It's time to do as the song in the background says and plan your escape.

As the cement mixer begins to churn even more loudly you will be instructed to turn your body towards the brick and use the action button to slowly move towards it. Once you get to it Carlo will pick it up. You can now take aim with the brick for whichever wiseguy you choose whether it be the one to your right by the bench or the one to your left standing by the pit waiting for the cement to be ready. Once you have selected your target use the shoulder button to throw the brick and knock him out with a satisfying thud causing the guy by the workbench to fall to the floor, dropping his pistol or the guy by the pit to fall into it face first. Once the guy on the left has been taken out the other guy will go to investigate giving you an opportunity to get to your feet unnoticed however you can also do this by immediately taking out the guy on the right. Either way once you get to your feet you will have access to the various tools on the workbench (including a hammer, a wrench and a screwdriver) which can be used as weapons, replacing the ones you will no longer be in possession of.

Once you have stocked up on weapons from the bench you can also take the dropped pistol from the wiseguy on the right (who has possibly now crossed over to the left). From here you can choose to leave immediately or you can stick around for a bit shoot the downed wiseguys with the pistol and/or tip the mixer to bury them under the concrete floor. As you make you way towards the exit you will notice that your movement is laboured and your health will be in the red causing Carlo to limp and fall up against nearby walls (putting him in cover). You can stop for a breather in order to regain up to half of your health at any time though.

The only way out will be a small flight of steps on the right hand side of the room which leads to an open doorway without a door. As you reach the steps you will hear the voice of a third mobster telling another one that he's "going to check on the boys and see what's taking them so long". You must be pretty quick now to make it to cover before he comes through the doorway or he will spot you and all hell will break loose. The best tactic here will be to lay in wait in cover for him behind a wall at either the top or bottom of the stairs. As he approaches you will be given the option to perform an execution on him by pulling him around the corner and smashing him head first into the wall. Alternatively you can take him out with whatever weapon you choose including any of your old guns which will be stashed in a duffel bag in in the corner of the room.

Once he has been taken care of your pathway to the next room will be clear. As you enter you will see the fourth wiseguy who beat the crap out of you standing by some scaffolding smoking a cigarette and looking out onto the yard of the construction site below. You can go in and kill him right away or you can hang back and wait. If you do choose to wait the cd player which is located on a table in the center of the room will begin to skip and the wiseguy will go over to try and fix it. When he does this you can sneak up behind him and perform an execution whereby you will spin him around then take the stereo from the table and smash him over the head with it. You can also use any of the tools you acquired in the previous room in order to perform other unique executions on him including bashing his head in with a hammer or stabbing him to death with a screwdriver.

Now that you have taken your revenge on the four wiseguys who beat you to a pulp and left you for dead buried under concrete, you must make your way down through the partially constructed building and out the front gate. This will be easier said than done however since you will quickly discover that the Ancelotti's idea of night time security for their construction sites is a couple of dozen armed and dangerous wiseguys laying in wait for somebody to attempt to get in or out. As you begin your descent through the building however you will also discover that the unions they control also have very lax policies when it comes to health and safety so there will be plenty of Home Alone type hazards that you can use in order to take them out in unique and satisfying ways and aid in your escape.

The most effective strategy here will be to take the stealthy approach since it will be entirely possible to take out all of the wiseguys guarding the building without ever being noticed, however you can choose to go in all guns blazing if you want a bit more action. You should be aware however that if you do so they will call for backup, effectively doubling your enemy count and making your escape twice as hard. Once you have made it successfully outside of the front gate Carlo will put a call in to Paulie Gianco who will answer in typically speedy fashion.

Paulie: "Hey Carlo, how did the meeting go? Are you and the old man friends now or what?"

Carlo: "Don't act like you don't know Paulie. Well guess what I'm still alive.. unfortunately for you"

Paulie: "What are you talking about? Whatever happened I can assure you I had nothing to do with it"

Carlo: "I should have seen it coming. I never said anything but something's been bugging me ever since we met in the country club"

Paulie: "Oh yeah? And what's that?"

Carlo: "How did you know who it was who f*cked up that deal?"

Paulie: "That's a conversation to be had for another time.. like maybe in person. Let's just say I have my sources"

Carlo: "Your boss just tried to kill me and you say you had nothing to do with it, I want to believe you but you aren't exactly making me feel at ease"

Paulie: "Tried to kill you? What are you jabbering about? And what's with the f*cking ultimatum?"

Carlo: "That guy Phil.. the one you had me 'go see' he said you orchestrated the whole thing.. told him about the shipment and had Charlie taken out of the picture. For all I know you had me set up to get me out of the picture too.. Maybe I'm that one last obstacle that remained in your way"

Paulie: "That's f*cking ridiculous.. I mean listen to yourself you're not making any sense. Why the hell would I have somebody steal my own shipment? You point a gun at somebody they're liable to say anything"

Carlo: "Something tells me you aren't being completely honest with me. You never did tell me how you knew about Frankie and The Pavanos neither"

Paulie: "You wanna speak about truth.. how about not telling me you were there too?"

Carlo will remain silent

"Yeah you didn't think I knew about that now did ya? I found out from your old friend Rudy a couple of weeks back. He's so desperate to be made that he can't keep his f*cking mouth shut. He's been circulating that story around each of the families in the hopes that it'll buy him his button. Well guess what, Old Man Ancelotti's about to give him his wish"

Carlo: "Then that would mean it was him who told the Pavanos about your boy Frankie whacking their man and lost you your territory too? If that's the case why didn't Ancelotti just have the prick killed?"

Paulie: "The question you should be asking is why didn't I just have you killed for standing there and lying to my face. All them times I mentioned Frankie and you didn't say sh*t. You know what they say Carlo, keep your friends close.."

Carlo will finish his sentence for him

"And your enemies closer"

"I'll have to bear that in mind"

Paulie will sign off with an apparent warning veiled as advice

"You're lucky to be alive pal. I'd say count your blessings and don't do anything stupid ok"

Carlo will neglect to answer and hang up the phone.

"I guess it's about time I went home" Carlo will think to himself and you will be instructed to head to your house on Richmond Island.

When you get to your house a cutscene will take over whereby Carlo will creep up his driveway looking around suspiciously for any sign of the feds as he goes. He will then cautiously unlock his front door and slip by closing it quietly behind him before collapsing up against it and breathing a sigh of relief. After a couple of moments he will make his way to his feet and then into the living room where he will once again collapse on the couch.

Click Here for Part 3

• Like 2

You know what came to mind during that mission? Tommy Vercetti and Harwood. Something about being ambushed and having to kill your way through numerous wiseguys makes me think Carlo is more than worthy of the "Richmond Butcher" tag. ;)

I liked this one a lot. Gameplay wise it strikes me as a cross between Max Payne and Manhunt and I'm sure it would be a lot of fun to play. F*ck yoga, give me a game like this. It was certainly worth the wait to see Giovanni Ancelotti appear. I had a good laugh at how camped up he is with his cane and generally how vain he is, thinking he's still at the top of his game. Loved his one liners too... a lot of brutal truth. His motivations aren't that different from Jon Gravelli. You managed to make them seem very alike (which pays homage to the history between the two) although obviously they're worlds apart in terms of power.

Don't know what to make of Paulie at this point and it's a credit to you that his motivations are so ambiguous at this stage, despite him being an obvious slippery f*ck for so long.

Carlo: "And here was me thinking that 'rendez vous' was a club in Tequesta. Ok man tell your boys I'll be over there before they can sing about Pina Coladas and getting caught in the rain"

That's awesome :D

• Like 1

The Notorious MOB

You know what came to mind during that mission? Tommy Vercetti and Harwood. Something about being ambushed and having to kill your way through numerous wiseguys makes me think Carlo is more than worthy of the "Richmond Butcher" tag. ;)

I liked this one a lot. Gameplay wise it strikes me as a cross between Max Payne and Manhunt and I'm sure it would be a lot of fun to play. F*ck yoga, give me a game like this. It was certainly worth the wait to see Giovanni Ancelotti appear. I had a good laugh at how camped up he is with his cane and generally how vain he is, thinking he's still at the top of his game. Loved his one liners too... a lot of brutal truth. His motivations aren't that different from Jon Gravelli. You managed to make them seem very alike (which pays homage to the history between the two) although obviously they're worlds apart in terms of power.

Don't know what to make of Paulie at this point and it's a credit to you that his motivations are so ambiguous at this stage, despite him being an obvious slippery f*ck for so long.

Thank you for your comments as always man. There were several sources of inspiration for this mission and Max Payne and Manhunt were definitely two of them. As far as Ancelotti goes I can see why you would compare him to Gravelli.. both are elderly bosses who are desperately trying to cling onto a bygone age but they are polar opposites in terms of power like you said. He will appear again in the coming chapter in somewhat of reverse role as to how he appeared here. There will also be a couple more cameos from Paulie Gianco too in which I hope to put to bed any doubts on where he stands and bring about some clarification on whether he is guilty of betraying you or not.

• 3 weeks later...

I've probably asked this somewhere on one of the other pages but as I'm playing GTAIV again... I've noticed there's f*ck all Mafia presence on the streets outside of Little Italy and Westdyke. As the Five Families are spread pretty evenly across the map, would they spawn throughout the boroughs in Family Ties?

Because Carlo has the opportunity to work for each of the families before settling with the Gambettis, it would be interesting if their territories expanded or dwindled as the story goes on. You've done this where the Gambettis move into Hove Beach and the Pavanos seize the Pegorinos turf. Something just seems cool about wandering through a familiar area that you feel comfortable in only to find the balance of power has changed and you're no longer welcome there.

• Like 1

The Notorious MOB

I can't wait to play Saint's Row 2!

Me neither :^:

I've probably asked this somewhere on one of the other pages but as I'm playing GTAIV again... I've noticed there's f*ck all Mafia presence on the streets outside of Little Italy and Westdyke. As the Five Families are spread pretty evenly across the map, would they spawn throughout the boroughs in Family Ties?

Because Carlo has the opportunity to work for each of the families before settling with the Gambettis, it would be interesting if their territories expanded or dwindled as the story goes on. You've done this where the Gambettis move into Hove Beach and the Pavanos seize the Pegorinos turf. Something just seems cool about wandering through a familiar area that you feel comfortable in only to find the balance of power has changed and you're no longer welcome there.

The general idea is that the mafia presence would still be pretty underground but there would be some more presence at least. Each of the social clubs would have mobsters hanging around them and certain territories would also have a minor presence. I wouldn't want the members or affiliates to be overly stated as this totally goes against the tenets of the Mafia itself however the focus of this story would govern at least a minor presence in the interest of immersion. Hope that answers your question man :)

• Like 2

Yeah that sounds great. It's understandable you wouldn't want them overly stated because that would be too much of a throwback to Goodfellas era mobbed-up neighborhoods and I don't really think they exist anymore. Anything like the AOD Clubhouse would do me and a couple of separate character models for each family just to know where everyone is at. :^:

• Like 2

The Notorious MOB

Apologies for the lack of updates guys but I've been really busy with other stuff for the past few weeks. I hope to have the story fully posted by the end of next month but I will also be adding some more content in between the two remaining episodes. One thing I want to expand on is the idea of special favor missions like the one you saw concerning Sammy Bottino. I have some ideas about retroactively inserting a few more of these into the story at various points over time. They will essentially be random character/stranger and freak missions but will be presented under a unique banner. I have some ideas for missions involving the characters Nino and Gino who are featured in the story to varying degrees (although not as the comedy double act their similar sounding names would suggest).

Most of you will know Nino as the leather vest wearing gun dealer from Bohan introduced to Carlo by Frank Lupisella but his side missions will reveal him to also be a man of ambition - to be the best leather vest wearing gun dealer in the city, leading him to engage in a fierce rivalry with everybody's favourite pallette swap gang The Gunthugs MC. The MC have been stepping on his toes by riding guns and selling motorcycles and potentially stand to put him and his other gun dealing buddies (who own stores in Alderney and Broker) out of business if given the chance. Nino wants you to beat them to the punch and wipe them out completely with a series of attacks.

Gino on the other hand was last seen way back in Chapter 2 when Carlo forced him to hand over ownership of his sleazy cocktail bar. Since losing his bar his life has gone from bad to worse Frankie has run the bar into the ground and his wife and his three girlfriends have all left him so now he wants to recoup some of his lost earnings and blowjobs by taking over the helm of a shut down titty joint in East Island City once controlled by a Capo in the Messina family. He figures that the Capo in question needs a legitimate face to manage the club for him while he focuses on managing his legal troubles but in order to prove his worth he must take care of a band of squatters who have migrated from shooting up and sleeping under the nearby subway tracks and now call the strip club their home. In order to maintain his image though he cannot be seen to have had a hand in the squatters eradication which means that Carlo will have to hand them their eviction notice.

I also plan to feature some missions for a previously unseen character from the LCPD Database known as William Hambrough a former hedge fund manager from Carcer City. You will first meet Hambrough again through Frank Lupisella who tasks you with picking him up from the Alderney Correctional Facility fresh off a two year bid for Embezzlement and Tax Evasion in an updated version of Part 1 of Chapter 4. He will quickly prove to you that old habits die hard and task you with bringing a hooker from Chase Point to his halfway house in South Bohan so they can have some fun playing naked twister. After this he will ask you to settle an ownership dispute pertaining to a Penthouse Apartment between him and an African American gang leader who made him his prison bitch. Finally he will task you with breaking into the headquarters of multinational investment banking firm Schlongberg Sachs in order to delete some sensitive data which may see him returned to prison on more serious charges when the sh*t inevitably hits the fan in the financial sector. In an unforseen twist however you will actually liquidate a large portion of the company's assets and contribute to a city wide financial crisis which will eventually result in a government bailout of the bank backed by President Lawton. I envision Hambrough as somewhat of an amalgamation of Donald Love and Gordon Gekko and a stereotypically shady capitalist douche bag. Kind of like the Jordan Belfort of the hedge fund world. I initially didn't know how or where to place such a character but after recently watching The Big Short I see the absolute relevance of such a character and how he would fit in here due to the Mafia's heavy involvement in the financial sector around that time setting.

I've also taken to changing some of the vehicle names on the first page. I had originally wanted to retain my original names for some of the vehicles also featured in GTA V but I now feel that this makes the story feel a bit too disjointed from the series canon.

Feedback on these additions and changes would be greatly appreciated and if anybody has any suggestions for other favors missions please let me know.

Some excellent ideas man. What I really like is how your random character missions seem like they would follow the same chapters format as the main missions... they don't seem like they would be one-off meetings that has you driving someone from point A to point B. I'm very impressed with how much thought you've put in especially with William Hambrough. White Collar crimes and missions involving them aren't something we've seen all too often, but I agree with you on how relevant they are. Especially in 2008 Liberty City, where in real life the whole thing was starting to kick off but by then the game was already out and they couldn't really satirize it.

I'd love to know who the African American gang leader playing hide the sausage with Mr. Hambrough is. It sounds like a rather genius way of making a certain decision canon.

I would like to go through some of the old chapters for ideas to suggest random characters but one that comes to mind off the top of my head is the Irish waste management guy from Chapter 11. He was badass. Any way you could work it in so that we get to see more of him would be much welcomed. :D

• Like 1

The Notorious MOB

Some excellent ideas man. What I really like is how your random character missions seem like they would follow the same chapters format as the main missions... they don't seem like they would be one-off meetings that has you driving someone from point A to point B. I'm very impressed with how much thought you've put in especially with William Hambrough. White Collar crimes and missions involving them aren't something we've seen all too often, but I agree with you on how relevant they are. Especially in 2008 Liberty City, where in real life the whole thing was starting to kick off but by then the game was already out and they couldn't really satirize it.

I'd love to know who the African American gang leader playing hide the sausage with Mr. Hambrough is. It sounds like a rather genius way of making a certain decision canon.

I would like to go through some of the old chapters for ideas to suggest random characters but one that comes to mind off the top of my head is the Irish waste management guy from Chapter 11. He was badass. Any way you could work it in so that we get to see more of him would be much welcomed. :D

Yeah I think it would be really nostalgic to have the financial crisis factor into the story somehow. As previously mentioned, it would also be almost criminal not to make reference to the mafia's involvement in the financial sector during the bubble. The real life Genovese and Lucchese families were heavily involved in these type of rackets and since the Lupisellas seem to be heavily based on the Luccheses with a boss who is clearly based on Vincent Gigante it seems only right that they should be the one's with the established connection to Hambrough. It might be a little messy to have his special friend from prison be Dwayne Forge though (I presume this is whom you were referring to) so I think its better to just have the gang leader be another previously unmentioned character.

I actually really like your idea to have Seamus O'Reilly reappear in a special favors mission. Perhaps he could request Carlo's help in clearing out the various hobos who have begun to occupy the dump. It could also be a good way to hand over control of the waste management union to the Gambetti Family. What do you think?

@RandomStunt: Thanks man I would actually love to but unfortunately bills need to be paid :)

I'd enjoy reading that man. I'm sure old Seamus wouldn't spare any mercy for letting Carlo loose on those hobos. He's a tough old prick though, so I'm wondering when the favor mission would take place? Would be worth leaving it so late in the story after the Messinas inevitably get hit with indictments? Seamus doesn't seem like he would willingly want to throw his lot in with the mob again, but he'd be smart enough to realize you can't haul trash in town without them.

There are a couple of ideas that come to mind that you could possibly make something out of...

• Something to do with Russian arms dealers in South Bohan that could be a part of Nino's favor strand. It looks like Petrovic's guys in TBOGT you blow up on that yacht as they're trying to do business and as Niko blows up their garage, maybe Nino could move on their business and continue the Italian/Russian rivalry from GTAIV?
  • A favor strand that opens when Carlo is working for the Messinas that involves Gerald McReary as an extension of Jimmy Capra's stolen car ring. The Spanish Lords from Cerveza Heights (seen in Easy As Can Be) are doing the McReary's for business and impacting on Capra's profit margins, so he wants to f*ck them off to get business going smooth again. Gordon's got a debt to Mark Volpe and could pop up as a means of explaining that in-game... but mainly I'm thinking to tie Gerald to the Messinas to give reason as to why his future ends up so suddenly looking so bleak.
  • Carlo's mother getting him to do something about the old neighborhood inspired by
    ... :D

The Notorious MOB

My immediate thoughts were to have it be made available after completion of Chapter 16. Carlo is finished working with the Messinas (and for a period) the Ancelottis so it wouldn't make any odds if he were to ruffle their feathers by taking over a contested racket for his new family. Depending on the timing of completion it would also add a bit more fuel to the fire and expand the list of things motivating Old man Ancelotti to have him killed so I think I may stick with that.

My idea is that these special favors would all in some way effect the in-game environment. In this instance the hobos would disappear and Carlo would receive an extra sources of income. Nino's jobs would give you a discount on guns (also available in Broker and Alderney) and Gino's job would give you access to another strip club where you would receive free dances and alcohol.

I really like your idea of having Carlo do a favour for an old lady although I may change it slightly so that it's just a random lady who appears in either East Holland or Leftwood (acting partly as a representation of the Ironbound neighbourhood in New Jersey). Both were traditionally Italian neighbourhoods which saw an influx of Latin immigrants in the fifties so a woman in her 70s or 80s would logically be old enough to remember the change in demographics. She would also be prone to alzheimers and believe that they had only recently moved into the neighbourhood. This could lead to a violent episode where she tries to attack Carlo with a concealed weapon believing him to be her abusive uncle although this may be a little too risque even for grand theft auto :D

I also like your other ideas but they throw up some issues for me. Maybe you could help me work them out.. firstly I think it might be a little risky for Nino to start a war with the most powerful Russian Mafia leader in the country. Maybe instead I could allude to the unseen character of Claude Wome by having a group of Central African Rebels doing a business deal with the IAA on his behalf outside the Civilisation committee that Carlo needs to break up in order to steal some top secret plans or something. I'm just spitballing here but maybe it could be the blueprints to a heat seeking missile launcher and a prototype model they have stashed in a van. Around the timing of the story civil war was rife in Central African countries like Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of Congo so it would fit in the political climate quite well. It would obviously have massive repercussions but Nino could avoid them almost completely by fleeing the city and selling the plans on the black market in order to set himself up for life. It's a little bit crazy but I think it would be a good contrast to the generally gritty and realistic tone of the story.

The details of your other idea about the car ring sound good but I'm not sure that I fully understand them. Could you possibly explain them in a little more detail?

My immediate thoughts were to have it be made available after completion of Chapter 16. Carlo is finished working with the Messinas (and for a period) the Ancelottis so it wouldn't make any odds if he were to ruffle their feathers by taking over a contested racket for his new family. Depending on the timing of completion it would also add a bit more fuel to the fire and expand the list of things motivating Old man Ancelotti to have him killed so I think I may stick with that.

My idea is that these special favors would all in some way effect the in-game environment. In this instance the hobos would disappear and Carlo would receive an extra sources of income. Nino's jobs would give you a discount on guns (also available in Broker and Alderney) and Gino's job would give you access to another strip club where you would receive free dances and alcohol.

So the special favors generate almost real-time perks and asset income? Brilliant! It's like you're building on the honor & fame system from Red Dead where you would get free drinks, cheaper ammo etc depending which way you played. If it isn't too much work (depending on how extensive you want to make the feature), how about throwing conflicting favors into the mix, a bit like the GTA2 respect system? Say there are two favors open at a point in time: one for the Lupisellas, one for the Ancelottis. If you aid the Ancelottis, you piss off the Lupisellas; you'll lose your ammo perk from Nino. And vice versa, you're no longer welcome in Ancelotti social clubs.

I really like your idea of having Carlo do a favour for an old lady although I may change it slightly so that it's just a random lady who appears in either East Holland or Leftwood (acting partly as a representation of the Ironbound neighbourhood in New Jersey). Both were traditionally Italian neighbourhoods which saw an influx of Latin immigrants in the fifties so a woman in her 70s or 80s would logically be old enough to remember the change in demographics. She would also be prone to alzheimers and believe that they had only recently moved into the neighbourhood. This could lead to a violent episode where she tries to attack Carlo with a concealed weapon believing him to be her abusive uncle although this may be a little too risque even for grand theft auto :D

Do it man. It's not like you're going to take the piss with it. It was good enough for

after all. ;)

Either East Holland or Leftwood would work perfectly, but I'm more inclined to root for Leftwood being as we actually see some Italians around that area in GTAIV. Though I've found somewhere I'd place Pleasant Avenue, it's strictly Puerto Rican in game.

I also like your other ideas but they throw up some issues for me. Maybe you could help me work them out.. firstly I think it might be a little risky for Nino to start a war with the most powerful Russian Mafia leader in the country. Maybe instead I could allude to the unseen character of Claude Wome by having a group of Central African Rebels doing a business deal with the IAA on his behalf outside the Civilisation committee that Carlo needs to break up in order to steal some top secret plans or something. I'm just spitballing here but maybe it could be the blueprints to a heat seeking missile launcher and a prototype model they have stashed in a van. Around the timing of the story civil war was rife in Central African countries like Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of Congo so it would fit in the political climate quite well. It would obviously have massive repercussions but Nino could avoid them almost completely by fleeing the city and selling the plans on the black market in order to set himself up for life. It's a little bit crazy but I think it would be a good contrast to the generally gritty and realistic tone of the story.

At a stretch I actually think you could pull the Petrovic thing off if you wanted to. He's just had his son killed, a brief war with the Faustin Organization and one of his fronts blown up, plus the NOOSE trouble and any competition he could be facing from Dimitri's rise to power. It wouldn't be unreasonable for you to portray things on a downswing for him. Though I doubt he would take it lying down and you could introduce Rami Yalon as a foe (who ironically the Mafia can no longer afford) and have a showdown of sorts between a badass Gulf War vet and a determined Israeli special forces op. It would cause a bit more trouble than the favor is worth however, so it may well be worth leaving be.

I do actually like the Wome/IAA plot a lot more and I would definitely like to see that type of political satire. Though it may sound far-fetched, Nino's done a tour in Iraq and his sense of belief in what appears on the surface to be a conspiracy theory would be a clever dig at those weapons of mass destruction that never turned up, echoing certain themes in GTAIV. The only kink I can see in this idea is that with the IAA being in bed with Jon Gravelli, they would surely have to get him to look into the matter, so it would make sense to take place either way before Carlo gets in with the Gambettis, or after Gravelli's death.

The details of your other idea about the car ring sound good but I'm not sure that I fully understand them. Could you possibly explain them in a little more detail?

Sure man. In Right Place, Wrong Time Carlo did a bit of car theft for Jimmy Capra out of a garage in Dukes. Going by the dialogue in that mission, the racket is something Capra has his eyes on doing for a long time... so my idea was to have the McRearys doing the day-to-day leg work for him stealing rides, though it appears you've alluded to Niko being the source of the stolen cars. Gerald oversees the action for Fredo Volpe, who in turn has Jimmy Capra handle the dirty work.

The favor would revolve around the Spanish Lords, who are heavy into car theft in the eastern boroughs & Bohan and are getting vehicles shipped out before the McRearys can get to them. To add to that, they're getting a better deal for shipping them chopped out of Alderney. Lyle Rivas was a major part of the operation, as evidenced by the resistance in Easy as Can Be.

Carlo's first part in this would be to kill the Spanish Lords involved. Easy enough, and the Messinas claim a bigger split of the profits over the Irish, meaning there's something for Carlo to earn. The second part would be to shutdown the operation in Alderney. This one's a bigger shootout, so Fredo Volpe ropes in Gordon Sargent (who is indebted to them due to his gambling), who delves into the relationship between the Irish and Italians (something I think you'd treat very well) while also providing sufficient cover in the shootout.

All of this could also serve to provide some background as to Gerry's sudden imprisonment in GTAIV, though detached from your story. Fredo's secretly an informant, so this would all allude to him having Gerry on tape dealing in the stolen cars (and probably more) handing the feds a decent RICO case against him, hence why we last see him in GTAIV, things look so bleak for him. Being as though the McReary name doesn't really carry weight any more, you could justify him being taken into custody earlier than the Messinas as the feds would try get him to flip, but he's a special kind of tough bastard and ends up taking the sentence as a penance for Derrick being a rat.

I hope that explains a bit more... I think the concept of favors got my brain working overtime.

The Notorious MOB

So the special favors generate almost real-time perks and asset income? Brilliant! It's like you're building on the honor & fame system from Red Dead where you would get free drinks, cheaper ammo etc depending which way you played. If it isn't too much work (depending on how extensive you want to make the feature), how about throwing conflicting favors into the mix, a bit like the GTA2 respect system? Say there are two favors open at a point in time: one for the Lupisellas, one for the Ancelottis. If you aid the Ancelottis, you piss off the Lupisellas; you'll lose your ammo perk from Nino. And vice versa, you're no longer welcome in Ancelotti social clubs.

At a stretch I actually think you could pull the Petrovic thing off if you wanted to. He's just had his son killed, a brief war with the Faustin Organization and one of his fronts blown up, plus the NOOSE trouble and any competition he could be facing from Dimitri's rise to power. It wouldn't be unreasonable for you to portray things on a downswing for him. Though I doubt he would take it lying down and you could introduce Rami Yalon as a foe (who ironically the Mafia can no longer afford) and have a showdown of sorts between a badass Gulf War vet and a determined Israeli special forces op. It would cause a bit more trouble than the favor is worth however, so it may well be worth leaving be.

I do actually like the Wome/IAA plot a lot more and I would definitely like to see that type of political satire. Though it may sound far-fetched, Nino's done a tour in Iraq and his sense of belief in what appears on the surface to be a conspiracy theory would be a clever dig at those weapons of mass destruction that never turned up, echoing certain themes in GTAIV. The only kink I can see in this idea is that with the IAA being in bed with Jon Gravelli, they would surely have to get him to look into the matter, so it would make sense to take place either way before Carlo gets in with the Gambettis, or after Gravelli's death.

Sure man. In Right Place, Wrong Time Carlo did a bit of car theft for Jimmy Capra out of a garage in Dukes. Going by the dialogue in that mission, the racket is something Capra has his eyes on doing for a long time... so my idea was to have the McRearys doing the day-to-day leg work for him stealing rides, though it appears you've alluded to Niko being the source of the stolen cars. Gerald oversees the action for Fredo Volpe, who in turn has Jimmy Capra handle the dirty work.

The favor would revolve around the Spanish Lords, who are heavy into car theft in the eastern boroughs & Bohan and are getting vehicles shipped out before the McRearys can get to them. To add to that, they're getting a better deal for shipping them chopped out of Alderney. Lyle Rivas was a major part of the operation, as evidenced by the resistance in Easy as Can Be.

Carlo's first part in this would be to kill the Spanish Lords involved. Easy enough, and the Messinas claim a bigger split of the profits over the Irish, meaning there's something for Carlo to earn. The second part would be to shutdown the operation in Alderney. This one's a bigger shootout, so Fredo Volpe ropes in Gordon Sargent (who is indebted to them due to his gambling), who delves into the relationship between the Irish and Italians (something I think you'd treat very well) while also providing sufficient cover in the shootout.

All of this could also serve to provide some background as to Gerry's sudden imprisonment in GTAIV, though detached from your story. Fredo's secretly an informant, so this would all allude to him having Gerry on tape dealing in the stolen cars (and probably more) handing the feds a decent RICO case against him, hence why we last see him in GTAIV, things look so bleak for him. Being as though the McReary name doesn't really carry weight any more, you could justify him being taken into custody earlier than the Messinas as the feds would try get him to flip, but he's a special kind of tough bastard and ends up taking the sentence as a penance for Derrick being a rat.

I hope that explains a bit more... I think the concept of favors got my brain working overtime.

As far as the favors system goes I don't want to go too in dept with it to a point where it could possibly interfere with the story or the players enjoyment of it. Besides the idea of working for the different families in a way that often goes against the interests of another is already central to the plot anyway so I don't really see the need to overdo it in a sense.

As much as I like the idea regarding Petrovic it just seems like too much of a plot point to delve into at this point in time. It's like something I would need to devote a whole chapter to in order to really do it justice. The idea of having Carlo steal for Nino from the IAA instead of Petrovic is that the reward would be big enough that he could leave the city without definite repercussions due to the shady nature of the deal whereas with Petrovic the outcome will more than likely be much worse in the long run despite the short term payoffs of the job. There is a possibility however that I could build on your suggestion and introduce a personal element to the job. Maybe Nino was exposed to vast amounts of uranium during the war and lost one of his kids to complications related to Gulf War syndrome as a result, giving him a fierce disdain for the American government and their war time profiteering. This could also be part of his motivation for getting into motorcycles.. as sort of an anarchic two fingers to the man. As you say though this particular favor would have to take place after the current point in the story with Gravelli having been laid to rest. It actually just so happens though that it fits right into my original plans for something that occurs within the final mission of the story. The nature of that situation will make the unlocking of this particular favor mission somewhat conditional but I think it would act as a nice little reward for players who like to do as they're told, although at this point that's all I can really say about it ;)

Now that you mention it though eliminating the competition from the Spanish Lords does actually fit in with what I had in mind. Basically the backstory of Capra's car ring is that he initially has Carlo steal the cars for him before using his connection to Stevie who enlists the help of Niko to steal them instead. This goes above and beyond the story but my long term idea was that over time Capra moves his operation into Boulevard in Bohan (which would now be open territory) and starts using the cars as a front for smuggling in heroin from overseas and shipping it elsewhere. This is why his crew is seen hanging out in that compound opposite the tennis courts in Chinatown Wars. The scheme is based on a mixture of one in the 1970s run by Gambino soldier Roy DeMeo (who also provided the initial inspiration for Capra's character) and another one seen in the movie The French Connection where the mafia are shipping heroin overseas packed into the frames of cars. The movie as a whole is also an obvious inspiration for the opening sequence of GTA IV which has members of the Triads filling a car with Heroin and it being lifted down onto the dock as another car speeds into view. Coincidentally, in keeping with CTW, Capra's scheme is also one involving the Triads, with the Midtown Gangsters acting as dealers and hitmen on the streets. Involving Fredo Volpe and Gerald McReary would put the job under certain time constraints but I don't see why he couldn't work for Stevie alongside Gordon (since the two seem to be friends). Up until now I tried to not step on Akaviri's toes regarding Blood and a Four Leaf Clover but this policy would kind of need to be changed if I were to have you work with Gordon. He has got ample reason to be involved in it though so I'm really in two minds as to whether to include him or not. In order to make it work Carlo would also need to have met Stevie previously so I might make the missions choice dependent like the ones in GTA IV by having them only open up if you choose to spare Mark Volpe in Chapter 14 and meet up with Stevie at the garage when you collect his car.

Now that you mention it though eliminating the competition from the Spanish Lords does actually fit in with what I had in mind. Basically the backstory of Capra's car ring is that he initially has Carlo steal the cars for him before using his connection to Stevie who enlists the help of Niko to steal them instead. This goes above and beyond the story but my long term idea was that over time Capra moves his operation into Boulevard in Bohan (which would now be open territory) and starts using the cars as a front for smuggling in heroin from overseas and shipping it elsewhere. This is why his crew is seen hanging out in that compound opposite the tennis courts in Chinatown Wars. The scheme is based on a mixture of one in the 1970s run by Gambino soldier Roy DeMeo (who also provided the initial inspiration for Capra's character) and another one seen in the movie The French Connection where the mafia are shipping heroin overseas packed into the frames of cars. The movie as a whole is also an obvious inspiration for the opening sequence of GTA IV which has members of the Triads filling a car with Heroin and it being lifted down onto the dock as another car speeds into view. Coincidentally, in keeping with CTW, Capra's scheme is also one involving the Triads, with the Midtown Gangsters acting as dealers and hitmen on the streets. Involving Fredo Volpe and Gerald McReary would put the job under certain time constraints but I don't see why he couldn't work for Stevie alongside Gordon (since the two seem to be friends). Up until now I tried to not step on Akaviri's toes regarding Blood and a Four Leaf Clover but this policy would kind of need to be changed if I were to have you work with Gordon. He has got ample reason to be involved in it though so I'm really in two minds as to whether to include him or not. In order to make it work Carlo would also need to have met Stevie previously so I might make the missions choice dependent like the ones in GTA IV by having them only open up if you choose to spare Mark Volpe in Chapter 14 and meet up with Stevie at the garage when you collect his car.

I've actually been working on a Roy DeMeo character for a while now (coincidentally with Steven Van Zandt as a character picture, though I'm sure you're aware of the uncanny resemblance between the two) sourcing a lot from the car theft racket you mention -- mainly the overseas connection to Kuwait, where I'd have containers return with heroin smuggled in by a shady Golden Triangle figure -- and relationship with the Westies (McRearys) in regards to it. Of course this now interests me a whole lot more as it's becoming obvious you've thought out even the most fleeting plot points extensively. :O

To tell you the truth I honestly thought you based Jimmy Capra on Anthony Mirra but I can see an amalgamation of the two in his appearances as the ultimate nasty bastard, with Mirra being notorious for his attacks on hookers and unsuspecting civilians. Some of the inspiration in this still astounds me.

Though I can't speak for Akavari (and I hope he's still around to confirm) but I'm sure it's been bought up before and the feeling was we shouldn't restrict each other in using them. I am hopeful you'll run with the Stevie and Gordon idea; it's the perfect opportunity to expand on a briefly alluded connection, which the two of you are famous for.

Something else I think is worth considering after I've had another read through is the Chapter 15 (Part 3) news story of "Slick Vic" Conti being involved in a war over territory in Alderney. Would I be right in saying this is over the events of Payback? I actually not long completed this mission and one thing I noticed is that the Pavanos seem to use the Irish Mob as muscle out of Auto Eroticar.

Now with Slick Vic looking like a pretty mean waterfront operator I'm thinking of adding to the initial idea and suggesting instead of a dock shootout with the Spanish Lords, the Messinas go the diplomatic route (using Carlo's negotiation skills) and conspire to a partnership with the Pavanos for use of the Alderney waterfront to ship their cars. Instead of tearing up the dock, Carlo and Gordon would sever Pavano ties (Slick Vic's condition of doing business) with the Spanish Lords once a deal is cemented between the families on by shooting up the Fan Dang Club in Alderney City and simply making them a casualty. What do you think?

I'm also a big fan of your ideas for building a personal motivation for Nino's favor mission and although you don't want to give too much up at the moment, I'm really looking forward to how that one turns out. For a minor character we've seen so far I have the feeling you imagine giving him a substantial amount of depth that probably puts most the cast of GTAV to shame.