3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Grand Theft Auto: Family Ties

The Notorious MOB

The Notorious MOB
I fell for the shameless plug...silly me.

I like how you worked in the "tailed by the feds" device without making it a whole bloodbath scenario; evasive manouvering and use of Broker's side streets would be an absolute charm to play.

Reads like an insight into mobster psyche. I'm so glad your chapters capture the sometimes pettiness of these guys.

I thought the APB was a really good idea on your part to change up the usual chase mechanics.

And Mrs Bottino... tidy. :D

Thanks for the comments guys. I always try to make potentially stale or repetitive tasks seem a little bit interesting and I felt had this really been a DLC for IV the mission would have acted as kind of a teaser for the updated wanted level system in V. The human interaction in this chapter was a little bit heavy so I'm glad that it didn't come off as boring or unnecessery. Most of the reasoning for me including these interactions will not be immediately apparent but it will (hopefully) make sense over time.

As for Mrs. Bottino I actually tried to find a picture of the actress (Debi Mazer) who portrays her looking bad since I wanted her to seem like a woman who was once attractive (to a hotshot like Sammy Bottino) but whos looks have faded over time. She's not what many people would consider gorgeous in the traditional sense but she is attractive (I think) in that 'girl from around the way' kind of way. Her appearence is also a little bit of an easter egg in that she also voiced Maria Latore in all of her GTA III era appearences. This isn't the first time I've done this with minor characters - two characters who appear in the robbery mission in Chapter 10 are portrayed by actors who previously voiced Leone mobsters, Joe Pantoliano who plays Richie also voiced Luigi Goterelli (in GTA III) and Chris Tardio who plays Benny also voiced Mickey Hamfists (in LCS). So now you know :)

Edited by Money Over Bullshit

Claude4Catalina

As for Mrs. Bottino I actually tried to find a picture of the actress who portrays her (Debi Mazer) looking bad since I wanted her to seem like a woman who was once attractive (to a hotshot like Sammy Bottino) but whos looks have faded over time. She's not what many people would consider gorgeous in the traditional sense but she is attractive (I think) in that 'girl from around the way' kind of way. Her appearence is also a little bit of an easter egg in that she also voiced Maria Latore in all of her GTA III era appearences. This isn't the first time I've done this with minor characters - two characters who appear in the robbery mission in Chapter 10 are portrayed by actors who previously voiced Leone mobsters, Joe Pantoliano who plays Richie also voiced Luigi Goterelli (in GTA III) and Chris Tardio who plays Benny also voiced Mickey Hamfists (in LCS). So now you know :)

man I like that, the little connections that go unnoticed; shows a real sense of pride in your work, to want people to figure out things like that and say "damn that's clever!".

Does Richie get beheaded by any chance? ;)

The Notorious MOB

man I like that, the little connections that go unnoticed; shows a real sense of pride in your work, to want people to figure out things like that and say "damn that's clever!".

Does Richie get beheaded by any chance? ;)

No he doesn't meet the same fate as old Ralph Cifaretto :D

Aside from the connections to the series this topic is actually littered with little references to real world people and events aswell as a few little nods to movies and TV shows. Alot of them will go unnoticed but it doesn't really bother me since it makes me seem more original and less of a geek :)

I also just noticed that this topic is now over four years old. It fills me with pride that I've kept it going this long despite strongly contemplating giving up on it several times but it also makes me feel a bit bad not having completed it after all this time.

The Notorious MOB

Chapter 13

Part 3 - "A Matter of Pride"

Carlo will receive a text message from Peter asking him to meet him in Alazone's. Carlo will head over there as instructed and the store clerk Alberto will tell him that he's out back in Philly's office. Carlo will head on through to find Peter making himself comfortable with his feet up on Philly's desk reading the ledger that Philly was studying when they first met. As Carlo gets closer Peter will become aware of his presence and, putting down the ledger, he will stand up from the desk before highering up a radio that had been playing since Carlo entered the store before greeting him with a "Hi Carlo, nice of you to drop by". Carlo however will be straining to hear him over that radio that is now blaring and will ask him to repeat himself. "I said it's nice of you to drop by" Peter will repeat, at this point shouting over the radio. Carlo, still straining to hear him, will say "I can't hear a word you're saying, THE RADIO'S TOO LOUD". Peter will then walk over to the radio and turn it off completely before grabbing Carlo by his shoulder and telling him "let's take a walk". The two of them will then exit the store via the warehouse shutter and walk out onto the street. As the men begin to walk down the street Carlo will say "how come every time you call me over here I feel like I'm in trouble?" to which Peter will reply

"You've got nothing to worry about.. which is more than I can say for our friend Philly"

Carlo: "What's that supposed to mean?"

Peter: "I mean that little joke he made at the dinner the other night"

Carlo: "You mean about that guy Zito being a.."

Peter: (cutting him off) "Don't say it. Everybody knows what he said.. even Zito"

Carlo: (looking a little confused) "How does he know? Somebody musta talked"

Peter: "Let's not get bogged down with the details. The fact is he knows.. and he aint happy about it"

Carlo: "So what happens now? To Philly I mean"

Peter: "Well.. he's gotta go. This is a man's reputation at stake here"

Carlo: "You're talking about taking a man's life over a stupid comment"

Peter: "It's a matter of pride Carlo. Other people see that he let him get away with this.. he ain't ever gonna be able to command any respect"

Carlo: "Doesn't something like this have to be sanctioned by your boss?"

Peter: "My uncle's on his f*ckin' death bed.. he don't need to be worrying about sh*t like this"

Carlo: "And what if he finds out?"

Peter: "Hopefully he never will. We'll just tell him it was some kind of drug deal gone wrong. My uncle hates that sh*t, he always said it was a dirty business.. if he finds out Philly was involved in it he'll only be mad he didn't give the order himself"

Carlo: "I would ask who you're going to get to do the dirty work but by now I already know"

Peter will nod to confirm Carlo's suspicions that it is indeed him who will be doing the hit before telling him "you won't be going alone on this though. Dino's gonna lend you a hand. He's over by the boardwalk on Firefly Island.. he'll give you all the details when you get there"

As Carlo begins to walk away Peter will give him one last word of encouragement

"You do this thing right and it'll be worth your while I promise you"

Unsure of exactly what this means Carlo will none the less head towards Firefly Island to meet up with Dino.

As you approach the boardwalk you will notice Dino's Vincent parked up in the cul de sac. Carlo will approach the driver's side and Dino will move into the passenger seat to let him sit down at the wheel. After greeting him Dino will tell Carlo that Philly is over at Ali Mac's restaurant stuffing his face with his most trusted soldier and it is there that the hit will take place. Carlo will inquire as to how they are going to do it prompting Dino to produce a homemade car bomb that Peter got from "some middle eastern whack job that he met in the can". He will say that it is to be placed under Philly's car and detonated once he and his confidante have returned from their dinner. Upon hearing this Carlo will be a little alarmed at the brutality of the chosen method but none the less resolve that the bomb will be better placed under Philly's car than at the top of the Rotterdam Tower. Dino will agree that the method of execution is a little over the top but state that it was chosen in order to make sure Philly doesn't see their faces and has no chance of survival. Carlo will also be informed that they need to whack Sciolla too since he will not row in with anybody taking over Philly's crew but himself. When asked how he plans to detonate the device Dino will then produce a small remote similar to the one used to operate an RC car. Carlo will show a little skepticism stating that he doesn't have much faith in the effectiveness of a child's toy and Dino will retort by saying that he doesn't fancy testing it out.

With the details of the hit having been explained the two men will set off towards Ali Mac's. On the way there they will discuss recent events and Dino will reveal that he thinks it a shame that they have to kill Philly since he always saw him as a decent Capo aside from being a little greedy at times. He will also reveal that he thinks the real reason for the hit is that Peter wants to take over the crew for himself. Carlo will ask him if the relationship has always been sour between the two and Dino will tell him that it boils down to a simple personality clash stemming from Peter being overly ambitious and desperate to prove that he deserves a higher position within the family in spite of his uncle being the Boss and Philly's bitterness from having been passed over twice for the position of Underboss while he was in prison for racketeering and loansharking (by Sammy Bottino and Roy Zito respectively). He will however reinforce that if the higher ups say that they must do the hit then they must do it if they ever want to become made members of the Gambetti Family. Intrigued by this Carlo will ask if murder is a prerequisite for being made and Dino will tell him that it used to be in the old days but nowadays its more about earning ability stating "anybody can pull the trigger but a head for business is what's really important in La Cosa Nostra".

When you get close to the restaurant you will notice Philly's Washington parked outside and will be instructed to park a short distance away on the opposite side of the street. When you have parked Dino's car in the designated spot he will hand you the bomb and tell you to plant it on the underside of Philly's car.

Once the bomb has been planted Carlo will return to the driver's seat of Dino's car and the two will wait patiently until Philly and his buddy Johnny exit the restaurant and enter their vehicle. When they eventually do Dino will take out the makeshift detonator and say "here goes nothing" before firmly pressing down on the trigger. To his surprise however the bomb will not detonate. Looking a bit puzzled Carlo will ask him "what are you waiting for" to be told by a panicked Dino that the "f*cking thing's not working" as he frantically presses it repeatedly. At this point Carlo will be equally as frantic and will grab the detonator from him in order to try it out for himself. "I knew this piece of sh*t wasn't gonna work" he will shout before tossing it out the window. By this time Philly will have pulled away from the restaurant.

Carlo: "What the f*ck are we gonna do now"

Dino: "We gotta go after them"

Carlo: "We gotta call Pete"

Dino: "We can't call him about this he'll have a conniption he's been all uptight about wiretaps lately. Just drive after them and I'll text him and ask him to call me back from a pay phone. But stay back.. if they see us this whole f*cking thing will be blown to sh*t.. pardon the pun"

You will now be instructed to tail Philly's car from a safe distance. After a short time Dino will receive a call from a surprising cool Peter who will inform them that Philly is on his way back over to Alazone's and that they're going to have to hit him there the old fashioned way (using firearms). You must now continue to tail the car at a distance until it reaches Alazone's at which point you will be instructed to exit your car and shoot Philly and Johnny dead. Once the deed has been done Carlo and Dino will briskly walk back to their car. Just as they are about to get in however Philly's car will explode in spectacular fashion blowing out the front windows of Alazone's. The two men will scramble to their feet (having been grounded by the blast) and jump into Dino's car in order to make their escape. Just as they get there Peter will exit the store and throw an oscar winning performance throwing his fist up to high heaven and vowing to "get whoever did this". You will then be instructed to leave the area as quickly as you can. Once you have gotten a sufficient distance away a small cutscene will be initiated wherein Dino will take over the driver's seat as Carlo exits the vehicle. He will then tell Carlo to keep his head down for a while before driving away. This chapter will now be complete. Congratulations you murdering bastard :)

A short time later Carlo will receive a phonecall from Dino which goes as follows:

Dino: "That was some insane f*cking sh*t right"

Carlo: "Yeah it was really intense lets just hope it doesn't come back to bite us in the ass"

Dino: "I guess we'll just have to wait and see"

Carlo: "Thanks man you really put me at ease"

Dino: "Sorry man I just don't wanna jinx it. Anyway I got in touch with Peter's crazy Arab friend"

Carlo: "You mean the guy that almost f*cked everything up for us?"

Dino: "Yeah.. I let him have it.. he insisted the bomb was Kosher. In fact he offered to fix us up with more bombs at a reduced price as a good will gesture.. you know if and when we need them"

Carlo: "More defective children's toy sh*t? No Thanks"

Dino: "He swears these ones are good but I don't know. Anyway I'm gonna text you his number. Give him a call if you're ever in need of something. He'll have it delivered to a nearby location and you can just redial to detonate it. It doesn't work and you never have to call him again"

Carlo: "Ok Dino thanks I might just give it a go"

Dino: "Ok man catch you later"

Carlo can now have Car Bombs delivered via a new contact in his phone

Click Here for Chapter 14

Claude4Catalina

By the books mob hit; loved the part about murder no longer being a prerequisite for full membership, great show of how much the game has changed despite the idea of Mafiosi being stuck within tradition. Well written as per usual mate.

The Notorious MOB

By the books mob hit; loved the part about murder no longer being a prerequisite for full membership, great show of how much the game has changed despite the idea of Mafiosi being stuck within tradition. Well written as per usual mate.

Yeah I think that pretty much changed in the 70s, in the past 30 years or so its been all about earning power. So many young hopefuls are still willing to kill to be made though. Carlo has put in work for a lot of the families and as some people may know all members of the Commission have to give the go ahead for somebody to be made and Carlo's time will come soon. Don't get me wrong though his murdering days definitely aren't behind him. They will become less frequent after the next chapter though.. for a while at least.

I've got a question, are there any plans on killing off Giovanni Ancelotti? Sorry if it was already mentioned, haven't been checking the story out since a while.

DhF4CUK7S5mrQmZkTLK8DA.png

The Notorious MOB

I've got a question, are there any plans on killing off Giovanni Ancelotti? Sorry if it was already mentioned, haven't been checking the story out since a while.

It hasn't been revealed previously but..

Giovanni Ancelotti is the main antagonist, so yes he will meet his fate eventually. Carlo will work for him breifly before that though.

The Notorious MOB

Chapter 14 – An Unbreakable Union

Part 1 - "This is It"

Carlo will recieve another phonecall from Dino which will automatically begin this chapter.

Dino: "Hey Carlo it's Dino"

Carlo: "Hey Dino, whats up"

Dino: "Peter called and said Roy Zito wants to see us over at the restaurant right away"

Carlo: "That's good right?"

Dino: "Uhh.. I don't know.. just get over here as quick as you can.. so we don't gotta wait to find out"

Carlo: "Hmm.. ok I guess I'll be right over"

Dino: "Cool man.. I'll be waiting. Oh and Carlo.."

Carlo: "Yeah?"

Dino: "Wear something nice.. skipper's orders"

Carlo: "Sure thing man"

You will now be required to put on a suit and head over to Ali Mac's to meet up with Dino. You can choose to go over there without putting on a suit if you'd like but this will result in Dino scolding you and telling you to go change. Either way once you get there wearing the correct attire a cutscene will be initiated.

Carlo will find Dino pacing impatiently back and forth beside the door leading to the cellar of the restaurant smoking a cigarette. As Carlo approaches he will notice him coming and stand still before throwing the half finished cigarette towards the ground and using one of his shiny new wingtips to put it out. "It's about time you got here" he will say as Carlo walks a little closer. "I came as quick as I could.. what are you so worried about anyway?" Carlo will say clearly not sharing his apprehension about being summoned there.

Dino will still be clearly aggitated, moving about like he has itching powder in his undershirt

"This type of sh*t just makes me f*cking nervous you know.. what could Peter possibly want to tell us that's so urgent?"

"Maybe he just called us around to thank us in person for that thing with Philly.. he's gotta be feeling pretty good after getting that promotion" Carlo will say trying to ease Dino's nerves

"That's another thing" Dino will say "Why call us here of all places.. the place where we were originally supposed to hit Philly and big John.. maybe he's pissed that we didn't do what he asked and had to hit him outside the store"

Carlo will however show his scepticism "Come on" he will say "you really think it matters how the job was done? The main thing is we done it.. plus he seemed pretty happy on the phone after the job was done"

Dino will think about this for a moment but will still refuse to see the glass as half full

"But what if it was Zito who wasn't happy with it.. he's the one who wanted to see us afterall" he will say

"I'm sure everything is going to be fine.. we'll probably laugh about this later" Carlo will say trying his best to stay optimistic

"Man I hope you're right" Dino will reply and turn to start walking towards the open cellar door

"What are you going down there for" Carlo will ask.

"This is where they want us to meet them" Dino will say

At this point Carlo's optimism will turn to mild nervousness "Down in the cellar? Now you've got me worried"

The men will descend the short flight of steps leading to the cellar and pass through the door at the end. Peter will be waiting for them on the other side of the door

"Welcome gents.. you look good" he will say admiring the men's snappy appearences. He himself will be dressed in similarly snazzy attire.

"Follow me right this way" he will say as he leads the two men down a short corridoor created by wine racks on both sides of the cellar..

As Carlo begins to walk however Peter will briefly stop him in his tracks "You're a full blooded Italian right Carlo" he will ask.

"Sure" Carlo will reply, in a tone that suggests he probably isn't due to not knowing who his real parents are.

The scene will then break and open back up as the two men follow Peter further into the cellar and emerge in a more open space where two unknown men will be standing towards the rear wall with several other men standing around the perimeters, each one dressed in their sunday best.

As Carlo walks into the room he will observe each of the other men individually in first person view. When his eyes have done a full circle he will re-focus on Peter who will tell the other men "our special guests have arrived"

Carlo will not be quite sure whats about to happen but Dino will appear to be a little more clued in to the situation "so this is it" he will say "I can't f*cking believe it"

Peter will begin to laugh and say "this guy musta thought he was getting whacked"

All the men including Carlo will then join in the laughter at Dino's expense as he stands there looking embarressed and relieved in equal measures.

At this point a stocky man with dark hair who looks to be in his mid thirties will begin to speak. "Alright thats enough.. let's get this thing started" he will then grab Dino by his shoulder and lead him and Carlo towards a small wooden table covered in red cloth which is situated in the middle of the room. He and an older man who looks to be in his early sixties will then take up their positions on one side of the table with Carlo and Dino on the other. The other men will then form a large semi circle around the four men.

Peter will then walk over and place a candle in the middle of the table (which will in turn breath some more light into the darkened cellar) before taking up his position in the circle of what can only be assumed to be the other Capos. At this point the stocky man with the dark hair will once again begin to speak

"As I'm sure you've probably guessed my name is Roy Zito and this here is the family's consigliere Salvatore Mangano who will be standing in for Don Gravelli who sadly can't be with us due to an ongoing illness"

The other men will bow their heads in tribute

"Do you both know why your here?" he will say, prompting a confident "yeah" from Dino and a less confident "I think so" from Carlo

"You boys are about to get your button.. you're about to be made" Salvatore will say, pretty much confirming what they already know.

Zito will then continue "If you boys have any reservations I want you to speak now.. cause once you enter this family there's no turning back"

The two men will remain silent signifying they have no objections. Zito will then continue to speak

"You may not know these other men but they are your brothers now.. they are your family..they come before everyone else.. including your other family.. mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, wives, girlfriends.. me and them come before everything. If one of your mothers is dying in hospital and we call you, you must leave your dying mother's side. If your girl is in labour and is about to give birth and me or one of these other men call you, you come... no questions asked. Can you handle that?"

Both men will nod in agreement

"Now this goes both ways.. if something happens to you.. you fall sick and can't earn or you wind up doing a bid then we'll take care of you and make sure your other families are looked after. You understand?"

The two men will nod once again and Zito will continue speaking

"If we asked you to kill for this family would you do that?" Zito will ask, somewhat following the script but also playing down their involvment in Philly's assasination

Dino: "Yes"

Carlo: "Yes I would"

"And which finger would you both use to pull the trigger?" Zito will ask and both men will extend their forefinger

At this point Mangano will pass Zito a penknife from his pocket which he will use to prick both of their forefingers, drawing a droplet of blood. He will then pick up two cards from the table containing a picture of a catholic saint and use them to wipe the blood from their fingers before putting the corners to the candle flame until they catch fire, he will then place one in each of their hands and hold them as it burns in their palms.

He will then proceed to tell them "as that card burns so may your soul burn in hell if you betray your brothers in this family" he will then instruct them to rub their hands together in order to put out the flame and tell them to repeat after him

"May my soul burn in hell if I betray this family"

The men will repeat

"Amici nostra" Mangano will say as the other Capos echo his words

Zito will then walk around the table and hug the men one by one and say "congratulations you are now full fledged members of the Gambetti Family and part of La Cosa Nostra" and the other Capos will begin to clap

He will then turn to Peter and say "get these men a glass of vino.. I think they deserve it" to which he will say "is the 2006 ok?" he will then go to fetch them a bottle of wine.

The scene will fade out as the two men go around and embrace the other Capos as they welcome them into the family.

After a timelapse Carlo and Dino will re-emerge outside the restaurant

Carlo: "Jesus that was really something huh"

Dino: "Yeah definitely not what I expected.. a proud moment to say the least"

Carlo: "Yeah I mean we pretty much have a free pass now to do whatever we want.. you wanna go grab a few beers to celebrate?"

Dino: "Man I'd love to but I can't.. I uh.. told my girl I'd take her to dinner"

Carlo: "You didn't tell me you had a girlfriend"

Dino: "Well it's actually pretty new, we've only been seeing each other for about a month now but I think she could be the one"

Carlo: "Wow man good luck with that.. but remember if those guys call you you better come running"

Dino: (laughs) "Catch you later Carlo"

Carlo: "Yeah see ya later man"

The two men will then part company and you will be free to do as you please.

A short time later Carlo will receive a phonecall from Peter which goes as follows:

Peter: "You're officially part of my team now, how do you feel?"

Carlo: "I feel pretty good man"

Peter: "Well while you're feeling good I need you to come by the shop, I've got some work for you"

Carlo: "No rest for the wicked I guess"

Peter: "Money never sleeps my friend and from now on neither do you.. I guess they didn't mention that huh?"

Carlo: "No they did not"

Peter: "Well now you know. Anyway just come by and see me as quick as you can"

Carlo: "Ok, see you soon"

Now that he is a made man Carlo will have to kick up 10% of his overall money to Peter each week however he will also recieve certain in game benifits these being:

• 10% of Carlo's money will be deducted each in game week as a kick up to his captain Peter Gravelli
  • Carlo can now call Peter and ask him to send two other soldiers to aid Carlo as backup. Peter will send the same two soldiers unless one or both of them dies and their skills and weaponry will improve over time.
  • Carlo will be given a longer amount of time before hitmen are sent after him after going into negative figures in a gambling den.
  • It will now be easier for Carlo to extort store owners and other gangs will be less likely to attack these businesses. However any stores that you have "offered protection to" in the past will need to be revisited in order to reaffirm your control over the owners as part of the Gambetti Crime Family.
  • Pedestrians will be more respectful of Carlo and will often times run away rather than fight if he acts in a hostile manner towards them. Similarly gang members will be less likely to attack him on the street.

Click Here for Part 2

• Like 1

Quality writing MOB. Showing how it's done.

I'm interested in how Carlo being made would effect actual gameplay? How is Liberty City going to react to him now? I remember in The Godfather game you'd get tribute taken off of you weekly by Clemenza. Would Peter be dipping into the player's cash and things like that?

The Notorious MOB

Quality writing MOB. Showing how it's done.

I'm interested in how Carlo being made would effect actual gameplay? How is Liberty City going to react to him now? I remember in The Godfather game you'd get tribute taken off of you weekly by Clemenza. Would Peter be dipping into the player's cash and things like that?

Thanks man I always appreciate your feedback. I did think about this but with the way the story is gonna play out from this point on Peter won't really get a chance to take anything from Carlo.. read into that what you will :colgate:

Great. I wanted to see Ancelotti finally die. He seemed like an asshole from the moment I heard from him :p

DhF4CUK7S5mrQmZkTLK8DA.png

The Notorious MOB

Great. I wanted to see Ancelotti finally die. He seemed like an asshole from the moment I heard from him :p

Yeah he has been a thorn in so many sides now I think its only right that he be killed off :colgate:

The Notorious MOB

I'm currently working on the next part of the story, here's a little preview to tide you guys over until I finish it. Let me know what you think.

Carlo will head over to Alazone's to find Peter overseeing the repair work on the front of the store (which was blown out in the previous chapter). He will tell the workers to be careful when fitting a new window and then, seeing Carlo's reflection in the shiny new window he will turn to address him.

Peter: (to the workers) "Hey be careful.. you break that window it'll be more than seven years bad look for you I tell you that"

(noticing Carlo approach) "Aw there he is"

He will then turn walk towards Carlo and begin to lead him away from the storefront out onto the edge of the sidewalk

Carlo: "You wanna do another walk and talk?"

Peter: "No I wanna show you something"

Carlo: "Sure man what is it"

Peter: "Look around you"

Carlo will look around

"What am I meant to be looking at?"

Peter: "What do you see?"

Carlo: "Not much"

Peter will then begin a lengthy monologue about the areas history

"This place used to be full of Italians.. people like us. Now we got moolies to the left and Ruskies to the right. Now I aint got no problem with that once they stay in their area but Broker's Little Italy has turned into Little Russia over night. When I was little you could walk around here and feel like you were walking through a city like Palermo or Naples but once the old Capos started going to prison we started losing influence and now its like walking through the Former Soviet Union after the end of the war... I guess we have progressive American politics to thank for that one. But through all of that we managed to hold onto our own little slice of Italy right here"

He will then turn Carlo around to face the store

"You see that construction site behind the store there, that's gonna be a multi-story Italian food court all built around Alazone's. Italians will come from all over the city to eat here and show that our proud people will not be pushed out"

Carlo will look over the site somewhat in admiration of Peter's quest to restore the Italian American enclave to its former glory

"And that (pointing at the construction site) is where the money is"

Carlo: "Italian restaurants?"

Peter: "Construction you idiot. Its pretty much a license to print money for guys like you and me. The industry hasn't quite been the same since the start of this economic downturn but in our thing there is no recession. The more developers that abandon projects, the more there are for us to sink our teeth into. This right here is only the beginning though.. we're gonna take Algonquin. I hear there's this crazy Arab type who's been having a little union trouble involving the Messina's.. I also hear that you were the man in some part to make that happen. I'm sure you heard through the grapevine that that didn't really turn out too good though.."

Carlo: "You mean all those workers who got killed?"

Peter: "Yeah it was a f*cking tragedy but your experience working with union troubles is gonna make that work for us"

Carlo will look at him skeptically

"I aint killing any more union bosses"

Peter: "All you gotta do is a little bit of negotiation. The families of those involved in the massacre are staging a protest demanding compensation for their loved ones and they've managed to drum up a lot of support.. so I want you and a few of the other guys to go down there and convince them that their desire for justice is a lot less important than our desire to make some dough"

Carlo: "Why do I get the impression that there isn't gonna be much mediation on my part?"

Peter: "Cause you're a smart guy, that's why I like you. You're gonna pick the other guys up from the club over on Saponi Avenue and give those pesky protestors their justice with bat to the f*ckin face. You do a good job and I might even cut you in on this deal I've got lined up"

Carlo: "Hey you're the boss"

Peter: "And don't you forget that"

The two men will part company and you will be required to drive over to the social club on Saponi Avenue in South Slopes in order to pick up the other mobsters. When you get there you will be required to sound the horn in order to alert them and a few moments later three mobsters will exit the club and get into your vehicle, at which point you will be instructed to drive over to the large construction site in Castle Gardens. (Read the Full mission here)

• Like 1

Naughtius Maximus

It's interesting to touch on the Italians' disturbance after Broker has turned into a some kind of small Soviet Union, I liked it. Also I've got to say that I like Peter's character again... after all, a real opportunist and sly fox (at least, he thinks he is), sh*t, he even overthrown a big, fat oppurtunist like Philly. I've read the previous two chapters but I'll give my extent opinions later, now I'm kinda busy... damn exams.

Edited by TheUnholy

Brilliant. I love the inclusion of the Gambettis involvement in construction. Very true to life.

Also, this monologue was beautiful:

"This place used to be full of Italians.. people like us. Now we got moolies to the left and Ruskies to the right. Now I aint got no problem with that once they stay in their area but Broker's Little Italy has turned into Little Russia over night. When I was little you could walk around here and feel like you were walking through a city like Palermo or Naples but once the old Capos started going to prison we started losing influence and now its like walking through the Former Soviet Union after the end of the war... I guess we have progressive American politics to thank for that one. But through all of that we managed to hold onto our own little slice of Italy right here"

Don't keep us waiting too long! :^:

The Notorious MOB

Brilliant. I love the inclusion of the Gambettis involvement in construction. Very true to life.

Also, this monologue was beautiful:

Don't keep us waiting too long! :^:

Thank you both for your comments.. especially TheUnholy for taking time out from studying to check out the preview.

I can see that Peter seems to be a bit of a fan favourite. I have to say I enjoy writing his dialogue. He's a true professional, a career criminal who's always thinking of a way to make a buck and get ahead.. even if it means ratting out his former captain to his old friend Roy Zito in order to take his position. As hinted at in a previous chapter a lot of people in the family probably would have looked down on him because he was Gravelli's nephew, thinking him undeserving of any position he may hold in the family. Over the years though he's proved them wrong, even managing to impress the somewhat cynical Philly and becoming his biggest earner.

I've kind of tried to look for things that weren't really touched upon in IV's story and figure out ways of incorporating them here. For example we know that construction work recommenced in Castle Gardens after Deconstruction For Beginners so I thought it would be a good oppertunity for the Gambettis to get involved in an industry that the real life Gambinos have been heavily involved in for years. Another thing I wanted to touch on was how the Italians felt about their home turf being taken over by an influx of eastern european immigrants in the latter half of the twentieth century. Hove Beach is based on the real life area of Brighton Beach in Brooklyn, however the in-game rendition is much larger than the real life one and judging by it's geography it seems to encompass other nearby areas such Gravesend, Bensonhurst and Sheepshead Bay which are traditionally working class Italian areas. Having Hove Beach be so big in GTA IV worked because the story was primarily focussed on eastern european gangs but it kind of takes away a lot of realism and deprives the mafia of much of their stomping ground so I'm thinking the old Families would be a little bitter about this, which is something I had Petey demonstrate in this chapter.

The Notorious MOB

Chapter 14

Part 2 – "A Good Will Gesture"

Carlo will head over to Alazone's to find Peter overseeing the repair work on the front of the store (which was blown out in the previous chapter). He will tell the workers to be careful when fitting a new window and then, seeing Carlo's reflection in the shiny new window he will turn to address him.

Peter: (to the workers) "Hey be careful.. you break that window it'll be more than seven years bad look for you I tell you that"

(noticing Carlo approach) "Aw there he is"

He will then turn walk towards Carlo and begin to lead him away from the storefront out onto the edge of the sidewalk

Carlo: "You wanna do another walk and talk?"

Peter: "No I wanna show you something"

Carlo: "Sure man what is it"

Peter: "Look around you"

Carlo will look around

"What am I supposed to be looking at?"

Peter: "What do you see?"

Carlo: "Not much"

Peter will then begin a lengthy monologue about the areas history

He will then turn Carlo around to face the store

"You see that construction site behind the store there, that's gonna be a multi-story Italian food court all built around Alazone's. Italians will come from all over the city to eat here and show that our proud people will not be pushed out"

Carlo will look over the site somewhat in admiration of Peter's quest to restore the Italian American enclave to its former glory

"And that (pointing at the construction site) is where the money is"

Carlo: "Italian restaurants?"

Peter: "Construction you idiot. Its pretty much a license to print money for guys like you and me. The industry hasn't quite been the same since the start of this economic downturn but in our thing there is no recession. The more developers that abandon projects, the more there are for us to sink our teeth into. This right here is only the beginning though.. we're gonna take Algonquin. I hear there's this crazy Arab type who's been having a little union trouble involving the Messina's.. I also hear that you were the man in some part to make that happen. I'm sure you heard through the grapevine that that didn't really turn out too good though.."

Carlo: "You mean all those workers who got killed?"

Peter: "Yeah it was a f*cking tragedy but your experience working with union troubles is gonna make that work for us"

Carlo will look at him skeptically

"I aint killing any more union bosses"

Peter: "All you gotta do is a little bit of negotiation. The families of those involved in the massacre are staging a protest demanding compensation for their loved ones and they've managed to drum up a lot of support.. so I want you and a few of the other guys to go down there and convince them that their desire for justice is a lot less important than our desire to make some dough"

Carlo: "Why do I get the impression that there isn't gonna be much mediation on my part?"

Peter: "Cause you're a smart guy, that's why I like you. You're gonna pick the other guys up from the club over on Saponi Avenue and give those pesky protestors their justice with bat to the f*ckin face. You do a good job and I might even cut you in on this deal I've got lined up"

Carlo: "Hey you're the boss"

Peter: "And don't you forget that"

The two men will part company and you will be required to drive over to the social club on Saponi Avenue in South Slopes in order to pick up the other mobsters. When you get there you will be required to sound the horn in order to alert them and a few moments later three mobsters will exit the club and get into your vehicle, at which point you will be instructed to drive over to the large construction site in Castle Gardens.

Carlo will park up outside the main entrance to the construction site a short distance away from the protestors and the four men will exit the car, the three mobsters armed with baseball bats. As they draw closer to the group the unarmed Carlo will notice a discarded placard on the ground reading "Justice Over Jihad" demonstrating the mixed motives of some of the protestors. He will tear the plastic sign from the piece of wood its attached to and advance towards the protestors. All of a sudden however he will recieve a phonecall. Carlo will tell the others to go on ahead and before long they will be knocking the sh*t out of the protestors. He will then answer the phone to hear the voice of somebody he hasn't heard from in a while

"Hey Carlo, Benny D'Angelo here"

Carlo: "Hey how you doing Ben?"

Benny: "I'm good, listen I got a favour to ask you"

Carlo: "I'm kind of in the middle of something. This favour.. can it wait?"

Benny: "Not really"

Carlo: "Ugh.. ok what is it?"

Benny: "The sh*t has gone down over here.. Harry just got pinched and the Boss is bound to be next. Everybody reckons it's Mark Volpe.. they say he's been talking to the feds. They sent out a hit squad to whack him but he ducked out.. he's been on the lam for a couple of weeks now but thanks to a tip off they managed to locate him. He's hiding out in a warehouse in Alderney.. they're still a little sore about how I acted in that thing with the Ancelottis so I've been given the order to go over there and end him"

Carlo: "That's all very interesting but I gotta ask, what part do I play in all this?"

Benny: "There's a crew of his loyalists protecting him.. I can't do this on my own. I called Jimmy and he told me to call you"

Carlo: "I'm flattered that you guys are still thinking of me over there but I've got my own family now and I gotta answer to them"

Benny: "I don't know if you heard but our two families aint exactly been the best of friends lately.."

Carlo: "That's what I mean"

Benny: "So think of this as a little good will gesture"

Carlo: "I'm just wondering if my new bosses will think about it the same way"

Benny: "Don't worry they won't ever hear about this it'll be strictly under the table as far as everyone's concerned"

Carlo: "And what about the payment? Will that be under the table too?"

Benny: "Again no need to worry, I'll make sure you're looked after"

Carlo: "Then how could I say no... where can we meet?"

Benny: "I'm parked just off Tinderbox Avenue in Tudor"

Carlo: "Ok hang on I'll be right over"

When you reach your destination you will find Benny sitting in a dark coloured Willard. Carlo will approach the car and get in beside him. Benny will point to a large warehouse directly across from where they're parked and say "See that warehouse over there.. that's where the rat f*ck is hiding.. he musta thought we wouldn't come looking for him on this side of the west river". Carlo will look at the warehouse which appears to be heavily fortified and ask him "How do we get inside?"."That I don't know I was waiting for you to get here before I went to go investigate" Benny will say. Carlo will produce his pistol before cocking it and telling him "Here I am so let's go". The two men will exit the car but you are free to get back inside if you wish. As you travel towards the warehouse Carlo will ask how much Benny is getting paid for the hit and he will tell him that he's getting ten G's, five of which he has on his person, the rest he will receive once the job is done.

Once you have gotten to the warehouse you will be required to look for a way inside. You have two options here firstly there is a set of metal steps leading up onto some fuel tanks located on the west side of the warehouse. If you climb these steps you can use a metal pipe to reach an awning from which you can access an open window. Alternatively if you go the whole way around the warehouse you will be shown a small cutscene whereby one of Mark's men exits the warehouse via a shutter door at the side in order to have a cigarette at which point you can slip in behind him. The first of the two options is probably the easiest as this will give you higher ground to your foes and leave you closer to where Mark is hiding out however the choice is yours.

There will be quite a few goons to take care of and you will have to move around in order to take them all out. It is possible for Benny to die in this mission and if he does you must take the five grand from his corpse, you will still be required to find and kill Mark however. Once all the enemies have been taken care of Volpe's location (an office on the third floor of the warehouse) will appear on your minimap. The door leading to the office will be open but you must use caution when passing through it as there will be one last guard armed with a shotgun on the other side. Once he has been taken care of you can approach the door of the office. At this point a short cutscene will be triggered which will be slightly different depending on whether or not Benny is still alive.

If he is still alive then Benny will go in first and will be shot by Mark who will open fire on the two of you before running through a door on the other side of the office. Carlo will dive behind the door frame to avoid getting shot as Benny falls to the ground clutching his arm. He will then tell you to leave him and go after Mark.

If Benny didn't make it however Carlo will take cover behind the door frame before taking a few blind potshots, all of which will miss Mark who has already escaped through the door on the other side of the office.

As you chase Mark along the catwalks he will fire at you as he runs so you must be careful to avoid being shot by him. Eventually he will come to an open bit in the railings and stop running just in time avoiding a nasty fall and allowing Carlo to catch up with him.

Carlo: "End of the line Mark"

Mark: "I should've known they'd get a piece of sh*t like you take me out.. the least they could've done was send a made guy. Well at least you're Italian.. not like the last guy"

Carlo: "As a matter of fact I just got my button"

Mark: "Goood for you.. I'm gonna make this easy for you.."

Mark will throw his pistol over the side of the railings

"..unless you haven't got the heart to execute an unarmed man"

Carlo: "You aint no man.. you're nothing but a dirty rat"

Mark: "I aint no rat.. not that it makes any difference"

Carlo: "Not now anyway"

Mark: "Come on then what are you waiting for.. prove how much of a man you are.. shoot me"

As Mark speaks he will step back and lose his balance falling through the gap in the railings. Carlo will instinctively jump to try and catch him but will be too late, making it to the edge just in time to see Mark bounce off a pallet of cement on the catwalk below. You will now be instructed to go down there and see if he's still alive.

Carlo will approach the injured Mark Volpe as he struggles to get to his feet. He will plead with Carlo to let him go promising that he will disappear to his summer home in Vice City and nobody will ever hear from him again.

Mark: "Come on kid.. have some mercy on me.. I don't wanna die put down like an injured dog.. if I'm gonna die I wanna go out with some dignity at least.."

"I got a summer home in Vice City.. I'll head down there and go off the radar.. nobody will ever hear from me again"

"I swear to god I aint a f*cking rat.. I despise them. What dya say.. can you give me a pass on this kid?"

You will now have a choice on whether or not to let Mark live. If you choose to kill him Carlo will raise his pistol and unload several shots into his torso as he falls against the pallet of cement. He will then put one final shot through his temple causing him to fall down dead. If you chose to spare him Carlo will walk away saying "let them do their own f*cking dirty work".

Whatever choice you make you will instructed to either go and check on Benny or leave the warehouse (depending on whether Benny survived this far or not). If he did survive then Carlo will return to the office to find him applying gaffer tape to his bullet wound. He will ask him if he's ok and he will tell him that he's gonna be fine since the bullet went straight through and the last thing he wants to be doing is checking into a hospital after doing a hit since it might raise a few questions. Carlo will then say "Come on let's get out of here" and you will spawn outside the warehouse where Benny will give you your money and tell you to "stay safe" before leaving.

If Benny didn't make it then Carlo will phone Jimmy and tell him that their friend Ben didn't make it. Jimmy will say he's sorry to hear that and ask "what about the other guy" to which Carlo will respond "nobody will be hearing from him again either". This part of the chapter will now be complete.

A short time later Carlo will recieve a phonecall from Dino which will go as follows:

Dino: "Hey Carlo I just wanted to call and apologise about blowing you off the other day"

Carlo: "Don't worry about it Dino, you gotta do what you gotta do"

Dino: "I still kind of feel bad though.. bros before hoes and all that. Not that my girlfriends a hoe or anything.. I mean.. I guess what I'm trying to say is if you ever wanna hang out some time just give me a call"

Carlo: "I appreciate that.. it would be nice to have somebody to talk to about work"

Dino: "Yeah likewise.. well I guess I'll speak to you soon"

Carlo: "Sure Dino, talk to you soon"

You can now call Dino to hang out any time you'd like

Click Here for Part 3

• Like 1

Claude4Catalina

you know why I liked this mission? It was shaping up to be fairly...not boring...but not very action-y but countered with incredible dialogue to give reason for a simple beatdown. Then dropping that job on Carlo; gives the reader as much an element of surprise as Carlo would've felt as he got that phone call. Brilliant device and extremely well written as per usual mate.

The Notorious MOB

you know why I liked this mission? It was shaping up to be fairly...not boring...but not very action-y but countered with incredible dialogue to give reason for a simple beatdown. Then dropping that job on Carlo; gives the reader as much an element of surprise as Carlo would've felt as he got that phone call. Brilliant device and extremely well written as per usual mate.

Yeah I thought the same. I had originally planned on it being a simple beat down leading into another not so great mission but I changed my mind since not only would the beat down be boring it would be very similar to the missions Riot in Vice City and The Offer in Liberty City Stories. I also wanted to have a mission where Mark Volpe gets whacked so I decided to combine the two and have Carlo be called away from the previous job to go do the latter and as you say give the reader a bit of a surprise in the process.

I know you like trivia so here's another little titbit for you - The hit taking place in a warehouse in Alderney was actually a bit of homage to Akavari's Blood and a Four Leaf Clover which had Mark Volpe being executed in a similar fashion. Often times with mob executions there are several theories about what happened so this isn't really supposed to cancel out Akavari's version of events its simply just another take on it. Its also a bit ironic given that Marco fled to Alderney too.

I also decided to give the 'player' the choice of sparing him because anyone who's read the LCPD Database knows that its actually his brother Fredo who is the real rat in the family. Carlo would be faced with a similar dilemma in that he only has the Messina's word to go on that he is a rat.. Volpe wasn't particularly nice to him in either of their previous encounters but we already know that he doesn't like killing people for no good reason. I'd imagine most people would still choose to kill him though :colgate:

The Notorious MOB

Chapter 14

Part 3 – "Putting The Old Dog Down"

Carlo will get a text from Peter telling him to come and see him at the Gambetti social club in South Slopes where he picked the mobsters up from before. When you get there Carlo will enter the club and ask the bartender where he can find Peter. The bartender will then direct him towards a table in the back room of the club. Carlo will walk through to find Peter counting a wad of cash that has been given to him by another mobster who he will promptly dismiss when he sees Carlo advance. Peter will fold the stack of bills in half and place an elastic band around them before placing them in his coat pocket. He will then tell Carlo to "have a seat", an order to which Carlo will comply.

Carlo will sit down on a chair opposite Peter before leaning back with his elbow rested on the rear of it and taking a look around the club before turning back towards Peter and saying "Didn't this used to be Philly's club?"

Peter: "Actually no, this place is owned by Vinny's uncle but it's open to anybody in this family who chooses to use it. Anyway me and you gotta talk"

Carlo will now sit up properly on the chair giving Peter his full attention "About what?"

Peter: "My boys tell me that you didn't stick around on the last job.. they managed to resolve our issues there but I gotta say I'm a little disappointed in you"

Carlo: "Yeah sorry about that.. I had to go see my mother in the hospital.. I know what Roy said but it was kind of an emergency so I thought I'd leave the other guys to carry on without me"

He will try to avoid making direct eye contact at all costs so as not to give away the fact he was conducting business outside of the family

Peter: "You know what, this time I'm gonna give you a pass. You see I don't got a mother.. she killed herself. But I can imagine what it must be like to have her in need"

Carlo will be a little remorseful for having lied to Peter given the circumstances

Carlo: "I'm really sorry to hear that"

Peter: "Don't worry I got over it. But now we've got even bigger fish to fry"

Carlo: "How's that?"

Peter: "A big time Pavano Capo named Mario Coletti just got out of the joint and now he's staking a claim to the construction site over in Castle Gardens.. his family used to control all the construction projects in that part of Algonquin but a lot has changed since he's been away and he's gonna have to learn to play ball whether he likes it or not. Now I'm not exactly prepared for an all out mob war and neither are the Pavanos. As it turns out he's been getting ahead of his station and luckily for us the Pavano administration have agreed to let us have him clipped to ensure that this thing doesn't escalate any further. Suffice to say you're gonna be the one to put the old dog down"

Carlo: "I thought you said I wouldn't have to kill nobody"

Peter: "That was the last time. But after this I promise you, no more wet work"

Carlo: "I have your word on that?"

Peter: "You've got my word.. as much as that's worth"

Carlo: "Ok.. so where can I find this Mario guy?"

Peter: "He's due to meet with a union official to put the finishing touches to this deal, that's where I want it to happen"

Carlo: "And where is this deal due to take place"

Peter: "Coletti's pretty paranoid, the last thing he wants is to end up right back in the pen so he's arranged for the meeting to go down in the skycar that goes over the Humboldt at Colony Island"

Carlo will laugh at the idea

"I've left a car close by with some tools in the back. How you do the job is up to you but when I read about it in tomorrows papers I want to be entertained"

"Time to get creative I guess" Carlo will say as he gets up and turns to leave.

You can approach this mission in a number of different ways. The most obvious way is to travel to the base of the Algonquin Bridge and get the Sniper rifle from the trunk of the car that Peter has parked up for you and snipe Coletti from the pedestrian walkway of the bridge as he passes by in the car. But you can also try a few other things. One way is to wait on the Algonquin side for Coletti and the Union Official board the Skycar at Colony Island and then board a car going in the opposite direction then shoot him as the two cars pass by one another. However if you would prefer to travel to Colony Island instead you will open up another option. The Union official will arrive at the depot a few minutes before Coletti so if you approach him before Coletti gets there you will be treated to a short cutscene wherein Carlo knocks the official out and stashes his body behind a pillar you will then be free to impersonate the union official and get up close and personal with Coletti and kill him however you want in the skycar or simply kill him before you even board it the choice is yours. If Coletti manages to make it to the Algonquin side alive (which is unlikely) you will not fail the mission as you will have until such time as he reaches the Pavano Social Club to take him out. Alternatively if you're really lazy you can just wait for him near the base of the Skycar platform and kill him there and then.

Either way once he has been killed your task will be complete and Carlo will phone Peter to tell him the job is done. That phonecall will go as follows:

Carlo: "I've taken care of our friend.. he won't be causing you any more trouble"

Peter: "That's good.. I'll be in touch"

Carlo: "Ok.. you're welcome.."

This part of the chapter will now be complete. A short time later however Peter will call you back from an unlisted number

Peter: "Hey Carlo it's me Peter. Sorry about being short with you before I wanted to make sure we spoke over a secure line"

Carlo: "Don't worry about it.. it's not like I thought 'what an asshole' or anything"

Peter: "I'm gonna pretend I don't sense any sarcasm.. anyway I just wanted to thank you for a job well done.. with that old prick out of the way there shouldn't be anything standing between us and that contract"

Carlo: "I hope it brings you great joy"

Peter: "Oh it will.. and great money too. Feel free to drop by the club anytime you want and play a little poker.. have a few drinks.. get to know the other guys that sort of thing"

Carlo: "Sure.. it could be good to take a little weight off"

Peter: "Ok good. I'll give you a call if I have any more work for you.. and just so you know you're officially in my good books"

Carlo: "That's exactly where I want to be.. see you later boss"

Shortly thereafter there will also be an optional phonecall depending on whether or not you spared Mark Volpe in the previous mission. If you let him live then the phonecall will go as follows:

Operator: "This is a collect call from a Mr. Fox, do you accept the charges?"

Carlo: "Uhh.. sure patch him through"

Operator: "One moment sir"

There will be a brief silence followed by some static and then you will hear the voice of "Mr. Fox" on the other end

"Hey kid it's me Mark Volpe"

Carlo: "Looks like you made it safely to your destination"

Mark: "Let's just say I'm on route. Anyway I thought I should give you a little token of my appreciation.. for not whacking me you know"

Carlo: "That's very kind of you Mark"

Mark: "Well I, like you, am a good natured human being"

Carlo: "Ok then prove it.. what have you got for me?"

Mark: "I've got a shiny new Ocelot parked up in a garage in Bohan.. it was a little too big to take with me so you can have it"

Carlo: "I might just take you up on that offer"

Mark: "I guess now we're even huh?"

Carlo: "I guess so"

Mark: "Anyway listen I gotta go but you treat her good now ya hear"

Carlo: "Don't worry I will"

You can now pick up Mark's silver Ocelot F620 from S&M Auto Sales in Chase Point at your leisure. When you drop by to pick up the car Carlo will have a brief interaction with a dark haired man who will be polishing it up as you arrive.

Carlo: "Hey there.. is that Mark's car?"

Stevie: "Maybe.. who's asking?"

Carlo: "My name's Carlo. He told me I could have it.. he didn't tell you?"

Stevie: "Nah.. he told me. I was just hoping you wouldn't come by"

Carlo: "So you could keep it for yourself?"

Stevie: "Yeah.. she's a beauty aint she. You must've done something real special for him if he's letting you have this. Mark aint really the caring and generous type. I've known him for years and the only thing he left me was this business.. and all the overheads that go with it. If that's what he wants though you can have it. Take good care of her for me though would ya"

Stevie will hand Carlo the keys

Carlo: "Oh I will"

What he actually means by this is up to you. You can put it in your garage and never actually use it or you can run it into the ground, smashing it off everything that stands in your way. Alternatively you can bring it straight over to Angelo for an immediate payoff.

Click Here for Chapter 15

Edited by The Notorious MOB

Absolutely love the amount of freedom in the last two missions. I counted what, five different means of snuffing out Ciccone? And all the options in killing/sparing Mark Volpe were great. Who else reading this would have let him go?

Also, was that a little throwback to Ray Mackowski in GTA III spoilered at the end of that last chapter? ;)

The Notorious MOB

Absolutely love the amount of freedom in the last two missions. I counted what, five different means of snuffing out Ciccone? And all the options in killing/sparing Mark Volpe were great. Who else reading this would have let him go?

Also, was that a little throwback to Ray Mackowski in GTA III spoilered at the end of that last chapter? ;)

It certainly wasn't an intentional throwback but I can see the similarities. Basically I see Mark as a fundementally decent guy.. he's a man's man and he wouldn't think twice about ending your life but I thought he would be the type of fellow to give a man a token of his appreciation despite putting up a hard front. I don't know if you remember but it was you who suggested having Ciccone make an appearence in the story and cause a bit of trouple. I'm not sure whether we talked about the skycar idea back then but it was something I thought of almost immediatly after you suggested him showing up. When I went to check out the mission area (which I always do) I began to see all the different possibilities for the hit. I actually wanted to present the option of cutting the power to the skycar and have him be a sitting duck but then I realised the car works on a pully system rather than being electrically driven. This whole chapter was originally meant to be based around Ciccone causing trouble but I decided to just make a little reference to him being a pain in the ass for the Pavanos and let the reader fill in the blanks. Maybe he gave his boss an ugly jacket and f*cked his sister.. who knows ;)

Haven't had a lot of time to read this concept, but from what I've seen, it's great. Keep up the good work!

The Notorious MOB

Haven't had a lot of time to read this concept, but from what I've seen, it's great. Keep up the good work!

Thank you sir. If you're finding it tiresome reading each chapter maybe you could try just reading the summary on page 1.

The Notorious MOB

I've thought a little more about that and considering Carlo will have a lot of excess money at this point it wouldn't be too bad of Peter was to take a percentage off him every week it would also be more realistic. It would probably be a bit pointless if Carlo being made didn't effect gameplay in any way so after a bit of thinking I've come up with a few changes him being made will make to the game.

• 10% of Carlo's money will be deducted each in game week as a kick up to his captain Peter Gravelli
  • Carlo can now call Peter and ask him to send two other soldiers to aid Carlo as backup. Peter will send the same two soldiers unless one or both of them dies and their skills and weaponry will improve over time.
  • It will now be easier for Carlo to extort store owners and other gangs will be less likely to attack these businesses
  • Carlo will be given a longer amount of time before hitmen are sent after him after going into negative figures in a gambling den
  • Pedestrians will be more respectful of Carlo and will often times run away rather than fight if he acts in a hostile manner towards them. Similarly gang members will be less likely to attack him on the street.

If anybody can think of anything else feel free to throw a suggestion my way

The Notorious MOB

so did u really make this in 2010? uve been making this for 4 years kinda? u might aswell make ur own 2d little game version of this.

Yeah on and off. Its really just something to occupy my mind.

Naughtius Maximus

I've got to say I'm being really impressed by the latest chapters. Surely, you carried your writing into a whole new developed and concerned level. The first part of Chapter 14 was really a brainstorm. Before that, I thought "We were just gonna give some protesting idiots a good piece of bruises and that's it?", then we were instructed to whack Mark Volpe. And that piece was more than just going to a warehouse and clipping someone to me. The huge amount of writing and gameplay surely makes it one of my favourite chapters. I mean killing or sparing Volpe, the way the chapter gets shaped depending on if Benny's bought it or not... this can be explained beyond words. The following part was also nice, puts people into a good fashioned tradition of IV's multiple ways to execute a task. As far as I remember Ciccone was Joey's old captain till' he got locked up, right? I think I've read something like that when I was digging through the characters' bios.

The Notorious MOB

I've got to say I'm being really impressed by the latest chapters. Surely, you carried your writing into a whole new developed and concerned level. The first part of Chapter 14 was really a brainstorm. Before that, I thought "We were just gonna give some protesting idiots a good piece of bruises and that's it?", then we were instructed to whack Mark Volpe. And that piece was more than just going to a warehouse and clipping someone to me. The huge amount of writing and gameplay surely makes it one of my favourite chapters. I mean killing or sparing Volpe, the way the chapter gets shaped depending on if Benny's bought it or not... this can be explained beyond words. The following part was also nice, puts people into a good fashioned tradition of IV's multiple ways to execute a task. As far as I remember Ciccone was Joey's old captain till' he got locked up, right? I think I've read something like that when I was digging through the characters' bios.

Yeah that's right. I'm trying to really push myself to write the next part of the story but I don't want to force it. I'm nearing a part that has a few crossovers and introduces a few new characters so I want to make sure its all executed properly.