3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
junkie2115

New Engine for GTA V?

junkie2115

Im wondering if R* will stay with the RAGE Engine or something a little bit better. its just a (Are they or arnt they?) Question.

VickeX

For the upcoming game, whatever it'll be called (wether it be GTA: NeXt or GTA V or something totally different), it Will be running on the RAGE and Euphoria engine that GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption runs on, only upgraded. I find it Highly unlikely (i'd say "no way in hell") that they will develop a new engine for the next game unless they plan to release in 4-5 years and on next-gen consoles. It's just a waste to work on a new and brilliant engine for many many years and then just make two games on it, when theese current consoles still obviously will be here many years to come.

Kwandilibro

Nah, it's not going to happen. As VickeX said, I don't think R* would spend all that time and money developing RAGE just to trash it after 2 games, on top of spending 4-5 more years to develop a new one.

jnzooger

RAGE is their go to engine of choice right now. There is no way they would use anything else. That would be like Epic Games using something other than the Unreal Engine.

Don't get me wrong, RAGE will be upgraded on the next set of consoles, and till then it will be improved with every release.

(RAGE in a way is an upgrade of the Red Dead Revolver engine AGE, or Advanced Game Engine, that was acquired from Capcom with the game. Rockstar took that and made their own, upgraded version and called it ROCKSTAR Advanced Game Engine. So maybe the next one will be called SAGE, or Super Advanced Game Engine! tounge2.gif)

[Maybe off topic rant on the subject of engines]: GTA eras are not based on engine... Nor are they based on the consoles they are on. They are based on gameplay style and story blocks. Thus, the next game could, for instance, be a IV era game even if they put it on the idTech engine or something,

(This is how GTA Advance, LCS and VCS can all be part of the III era despite not being on Renderware, and how CtW can be part of IV era and not on RAGE.)

Capricornus

Nah, the RAGE/Euphoria engine is great enough. If it ain't broke don't fix it. They will keep the same engine, no doubt.

junkie2115

I see now. I was in the mental hospital for a week and i was thinking about it. haha, so the best answers i could get is from the people (Like Myself) Who love GTA and R* ^_^. Sooo not even a little updated verison of rage? Like. lets say for Example. (In GTA III you couldnt Crouch, But in Vice City you could. Even tho they were used on the same engine.) LIke that mostly. tounge.gif

VickeX
I see now. I was in the mental hospital for a week and i was thinking about it. haha, so the best answers i could get is from the people (Like Myself) Who love GTA and R* ^_^. Sooo not even a little updated verison of rage? Like. lets say for Example. (In GTA III you couldnt Crouch, But in Vice City you could. Even tho they were used on the same engine.) LIke that mostly. tounge.gif

Of course it will be updated. It always is. Features is always added in between games but that isn't necessary an update to the engine itself. But yeah. We can problably see some small changes in graphics, euphoria physics and behaviours etc... And on top of that more gameplay features and such.

I'm not sure if you're aware of it but Red Dead Redemption is running on an upgraded version of the RAGE / Euphoria engine(s). The euphoria physics and behaviours is a bit different, and i'm sure you can see a change in graphics.

jamieleng

If you think about the differences between GTA3 & GTA: SA it should give you an idea of what kind of advancements we might expect in the next GTA.

OT: I've sent you a PM regarding your last message.

meson1

RAGE, as you all know, is their inhouse engine. I wouldn't expect them to abandon it or go for a complete rewrite of it. Not just yet anyway. One might expect them to develop a RAGE2 when the next gen consoles come along.

If anything, I'd expected them to evolve and refine it (as has been alluded to in one of the posts above). And although I haven't experienced any significant problems myself, I would hope that they will take the opportunity to address many of the issues that exist with the PC version of the engine.

Edited by meson1

Jabalous

Rockstar stated in the early years of the PS3 and the Xbox 360 , that RAGE is going to be the engine for their all upcoming games on this generation . They will keep improving it with every new release , and Red Dead Redemption is a great example of how the engine can be improved to make the new releases way better than the previous releases .

alexrdh

Valve has been using their Source engine since 2000 (starting development on HL2).

Seeing that I think R* will still keep on using RAGE and updating it each time they release a new game.

deathil93

Well, it won't be the same engine used on IV and RDR, it would be more of a RAGE 2.0 (since the RDR version is RAGE 1.5 and the one used in IV is 1.0/1.1).

Fans expect that the next GTA game will be on a much larger scale, somewhat in the style of RDR, for that it would need a powerfull engine, probably more powerfull than the RDR variant.

lolleroz

RAGE sucks, I thought they would change it to more optimized engine, what a shame. Need to upgrade my PC, seriously...I just find it a bit funny that the only thing better in GTA IV is psychics, and that Mafia 2 runs at 60+ FPS for me but GTA only on 10+ and lags sometimes..

maxopower

First. RAGE doesn't suck, your computer might, and playing PC games in this day and age diffidently dose.

Second. It's difficult to say that one engine is better than another. Most importantly because it really all comes down to how the developer uses it. But also because each engine has it own strength and weaknesses, RAGE obviously being good at open worlds.

EduardKoeleJuck

I really don't think so, and I wouldn't want to either. I'm sure there are many things that can be done with the engine, they should use everything the engine's capable of before moving to another engine.

thedamned38

I trust they'll stick with an improved version of RAGE. IMO RAGE is one of the best engines out there.

GritEngine

I second that. This engine may not have every bell and whistle that the UDK has, but it certainly does a lot more than Any engine on the market and you could accomplish a lot less in big engines like Unreal taylored for games that in no way meet up with the demands for a production like GTA or RDR size.

Two different beasts, all games are not equal, I think IV is probably the one that shows it more than any game.

These days people still say "crysis runs fast but not gta iv wtf?" - but they don;t understand that crysis is a terrain and some nice shaders with a floating camera with a layer that pretends it is a body for the player only - they don't realize Liberty City is nothing like "random game island" or FPS with small, pre compiled envirnment with specific visual rules.

New engine? No.

But if it is truly called "GTA V", I expect it to look as good as Mafia 2 or better. Because right now, IV looks "almost as good as god of war" and gta sa was a generation behind too... if it is still going to be "behind the creative curve" in terms of art, I will disappointed if they call it V and it isn't even a whole new standard.

RDR is certainly a higher fidelity than IV was, and the enhancements in their tech is strong in that, I'm sure V will be suited if they call it that, but I would have preferred 2 more IV's first that were not 5 years apart if you catch my drift.

junkie2115
I second that. This engine may not have every bell and whistle that the UDK has, but it certainly does a lot more than Any engine on the market and you could accomplish a lot less in big engines like Unreal taylored for games that in no way meet up with the demands for a production like GTA or RDR size.

Two different beasts, all games are not equal, I think IV is probably the one that shows it more than any game.

These days people still say "crysis runs fast but not gta iv wtf?" - but they don;t understand that crysis is a terrain and some nice shaders with a floating camera with a layer that pretends it is a body for the player only - they don't realize Liberty City is nothing like "random game island" or FPS with small, pre compiled envirnment with specific visual rules.

New engine? No.

But if it is truly called "GTA V", I expect it to look as good as Mafia 2 or better. Because right now, IV looks "almost as good as god of war" and gta sa was a generation behind too... if it is still going to be "behind the creative curve" in terms of art, I will disappointed if they call it V and it isn't even a whole new standard.

RDR is certainly a higher fidelity than IV was, and the enhancements in their tech is strong in that, I'm sure V will be suited if they call it that, but I would have preferred 2 more IV's first that were not 5 years apart if you catch my drift.

So Your Saying it depends on the game. Open world Games like RDR and GTA IV uses Rage because it works well with every open world game. Same with the COD series. The newer Call of duty's (dont know what engine it uses) all use the same engine or a updated version because that engine is made for Shooters. Am i getting on the right track??

Nativedeem

Why hasnt this topic been locked yet? Its a dumb question. Theyre not gonna just throwaway something they spent millions to make.

Rafe

The most anticipated thing i'm waiting for with Rage games is the ability to climb to high areas and actually see realistic textures withotu all those repeating patterns. Even on concrete or grass the mind just fixes on repeated patterns and pulls you outta the game.

If i'm not mistaken Rage allows the importing and rending of textures of many and even super-high resolutions simultaneously. This allows the engine to economize texture use better instead of laying textures on top of each other to disrupt texture repeat. Also areas that dont' need detail can have crappy textures and otherwise important areas or things to view will have very high res textures.

I'm hoping to be able to read the damn subway maps in the subway in the next GTA rather then having to use the printed map. Teh subway maps were so low texture adn necessarily so.

What other improvements will Rage permit ? Can't think of any others myself.

TommyMufc-Champs
Nah, the RAGE/Euphoria engine is great enough. If it ain't broke don't fix it. They will keep the same engine, no doubt.

Agreed smile.gif It was great GTA IV and RDR. Obviously a upgrade for GTA V/GTA NeXt.