Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. GTANet.com

    1. GTA Online

      1. The Criminal Enterprises
      2. Updates
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Blood Money
      2. Frontier Pursuits
      3. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      4. Help & Support
    3. Crews

    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

      1. Bugs*
      2. St. Andrews Cathedral
    2. GTA VI

    3. GTA V

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

      1. The Lost and Damned
      2. The Ballad of Gay Tony
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
    5. GTA San Andreas

      1. Classic GTA SA
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    6. GTA Vice City

      1. Classic GTA VC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    7. GTA III

      1. Classic GTA III
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    8. Portable Games

      1. GTA Chinatown Wars
      2. GTA Vice City Stories
      3. GTA Liberty City Stories
    9. Top-Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Redemption

    1. GTA Mods

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Red Dead Mods

      1. Documentation
    3. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    4. Featured Mods

      1. Design Your Own Mission
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Rockstar Games

    2. Rockstar Collectors

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Movies & TV
      5. Music
      6. Sports
      7. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

    2. Support

    3. Suggestions

TV series general chat


jelly
 Share

Recommended Posts

Candy_Licker
Posted (edited)
On 3/13/2022 at 7:52 AM, sabitsuki said:

Finished binging Babylon Berlin Season 1 on Netflix. Man, it is such a hidden gem.

 

p14585508_b_v13_ac.jpg

 

 

Some good tv series reviews on the last page, keep it up👍

 

Thanks for the reminder, Babylon Berlin is a must for me as a German and history buff. Started it 2 times or so but nearly completely forgot about it and the plot during the wait between seasons. Really good setting and high quality production.

 

 

--------------------

 

Something that could be interesting for people here is Tokyo Vice. Based on a book that is based on real life (apparently the autobiographical book is already highly exagerated, but who cares?)

 

Summary: weabo realizes his dream of becoming a crime reporter in Tokyo's most prestigious newspaper and gets entangled with Japan's underworld.

In Neo noir style.

 

Oh yeah it's a Miniseries with 8 episodes.

 

Edited by Candy_Licker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After finishing The Expanse about a week ago - which is an unbelievably good show and has rocketed up to the top of my all time fave TV shows, highly recommend it if you're into sci-fi - I've started Stranger Things after seeing a few mates chat about it in a group chat.

 

Finished season 1 and it was overall a good watch. I'm not usually massive on watching shows centered around kids but the young cast here were actually really enjoyable, the high school kids not so much mind you lol. Loved David Harbour in it in particular though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Big Molio
On 6/1/2022 at 10:45 PM, Jason said:

I've started Stranger Things after seeing a few mates chat about it in a group chat.

 

Finished season 1 and it was overall a good watch. I'm not usually massive on watching shows centered around kids but the young cast here were actually really enjoyable, the high school kids not so much mind you lol. Loved David Harbour in it in particular though.

 

Season 1 is probably the best. Without giving anything away, Season 2 is quite good, I didn't enjoy Season 3 quite as much, but the first seven episodes of Season 4 that are currently available to watch on Netflix are a return to form in my opinion, and the best since Season 1.

 

I like the 80's riff on everything, and the synth theme tune is stellar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Big Molio said:

 

Season 1 is probably the best. Without giving anything away, Season 2 is quite good, I didn't enjoy Season 3 quite as much, but the first seven episodes of Season 4 that are currently available to watch on Netflix are a return to form in my opinion, and the best since Season 1.

 

I like the 80's riff on everything, and the synth theme tune is stellar.

 

Enjoying season 2 for the most part but it does feel like a show where they never really intended it to go past season 1. Season 2 does have an absolutely horrendous episode mind you, you'll know the one, the one that felt like a backdoor pilot for a completely different show - and it probably was exactly that lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Big Molio
6 hours ago, Jason said:

 

Enjoying season 2 for the most part but it does feel like a show where they never really intended it to go past season 1. Season 2 does have an absolutely horrendous episode mind you, you'll know the one, the one that felt like a backdoor pilot for a completely different show - and it probably was exactly that lol.

 

I know the one. The episode was widely criticised at the time if I remember right. 

 

Stick with it though, because as much as I coasted through Season 3 out of a sense of obligation, I have genuinely enjoyed Season 4. The 7 episodes aired anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Big Molio
Posted (edited)

We started watching Season 3 of "The Boys" on Prime last night.

 

For those who haven't seen it, it is about a group of superheroes "Supes" who are managed in public by the Vought corporation. The superheroes who make up a group called "The Seven" are touted as celebrities and heroes in public, but in actual fact they are some of the worst kind of narcissistic, selfish and cruel individuals imaginable.

 

The show pretty much asks the question, "What would normal people be like if they had super powers?"

 

The Seven are pretty much representative of their DC counterparts. They have their own version of "The Invisible Man", "The Flash", "Aquaman", "Batman" and "Wonder Woman" for example. The leader of this group is Homelander, who is a take on Superman, with the same powers. Brilliantly played by Anthony Starr, he is the main antagonist of the show and the worst of the lot. His powers and unhinged nature make him a really scary individual.

 

Up against this group, and the wider population of "supes" are "The Boys", a resistance group of humans led by Billy Butcher, played by Karl Urban doing a terrible cockney accent.

 

The show is violent, gory, littered with F bombs and insanely enjoyable. The opening scenes in S3:E1 that we watched last night had me and the wife saying "WTF?" with its own take on an Ant-Man character. It was outrageous, but so funny.

Edited by Big Molio
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/3/2022 at 5:48 PM, Big Molio said:

Stick with it though, because as much as I coasted through Season 3 out of a sense of obligation, I have genuinely enjoyed Season 4. The 7 episodes aired anyway.

 

Feel ya on season 3. Just over half way through it and while it's finally starting to kick into gear it absolutely feels like they really had no idea what to do with a third season and thus have basically given us a rehash over season 1 and 2's storyline except they haven't executed it anywhere near as well.

 

Steve and Dustin's crew have been by far away the highlight of the season though, even if their arc is a prime example of the show getting a bit silly. Not huge on the super sci-fi bunkers, the facility in the first season felt more much fitting with the time period.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Donald Lov
On 6/3/2022 at 11:41 AM, Big Molio said:

 

Season 1 is probably the best. Without giving anything away, Season 2 is quite good, I didn't enjoy Season 3 quite as much, but the first seven episodes of Season 4 that are currently available to watch on Netflix are a return to form in my opinion, and the best since Season 1.

 

I like the 80's riff on everything, and the synth theme tune is stellar.

Season 1 is where it's at. I don't think anyone expected the show to blow up the way it did, so, of course, they had to start milking it. Even by watching season 2, it becomes evident they had no idea how to continue the show properly, so now they basically come up with a new storyline every season for no other reason than for the thing to continue going.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Big Molio
1 hour ago, Notorious_Jack said:

Season 1 is where it's at. I don't think anyone expected the show to blow up the way it did, so, of course, they had to start milking it. Even by watching season 2, it becomes evident they had no idea how to continue the show properly, so now they basically come up with a new storyline every season for no other reason than for the thing to continue going.

 

I agree about Season 1. The whole "Where is Will Byers?" story angle was great. Winona Ryder did a superb job as his desperate mother. The scene where Will was able to communicate to her using the fairy lights was a highlight.

 

That said, Season 4 has upped the ante somewhat. The villain this time is an upgrade to the usual monsters from the upside down. I think it has been a really strong season so far. Certainly better than Seasons 2 and 3.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I enjoyed season 2 and I actually really liked the last two episodes of season 3, I thought they were great, but season 1 I think is the best overall because it was the first season, the first swing, and it allowed them to stay small and creepy and not have to explain the supernatural stuff and in general just keep it all quite small in scale. In seasons 2 and 3 they obviously had to expand on that more and I think that's where they struggled, but they were able to carry s2 and s3 with the character development for the most part I think.

 

Season 4 so far is pretty good. I'm only 3 episodes in but the show is usually a slow starter every season but there's a lot going on very quickly in s4 so far. Feels like the first season since s1 where they figured out where they were going with the season early on and thus haven't had to pad the episodes out as much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

AkshayKumar

For my next show I am zeroing in on one of Mr Robot or the Expanse. I kinda have already decided on what to choose next but still a bit divided. Mr Robot is shorter which seems a good length to me and the premise is really interesting but I want something more different after watching urban crime shows like Wire and Sopranos. Expanse's sci fi political drama seems more my thing but I fear with these sprawling shows I'll end up getting fatigued without finishing or worse, spoil the events for myself. 

 

They are both great shows, let's see. 

 

 

JP0cYXG.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finished S4 part 1 of Stranger Things and thought it was great tbh. First 3 seasons had a few great episodes but I never really thought any season overall was great until S4 part 1.

 

On the look for a new show, still have a sci-fi urge in me so I've given Star Trek Discovery a go despite not being a Trekkie at all aaaaaaaaaaand it's a big fat meh after 4 episodes. I wanna like it cause it's sci-fi, great production values and all that but after 4 episodes there's not a single character I like, or am interested in learning more about. The main character is a Mary Sue that I thought they were gonna do something interesting with but then she sorta went back to being a Mary Sue? Not to mention the wackyness of the plot is kinda craycray which is okay but thus far it's really hard to get into it cause while I'm all for heavy fiction in sci-fi, the believabilty of what's going on is rough cause the story of it all feels so thin so far, and they've already shown quite a bit.

 

On 6/12/2022 at 3:30 PM, AkshayKumar said:

Expanse's sci fi political drama seems more my thing but I fear with these sprawling shows I'll end up getting fatigued without finishing or worse, spoil the events for myself. 

 

I watched The Expanse from start to finish in about 2 weeks give or take and if I could wipe my memory of it and do it again I wouldn't hesitate. The first few episodes start slow but once it gets going it f*cking goes man. Doesn't slow down until s4 where they slow it down for a bit before S5/S6 kicks it back up a gear.

  • Like 1
  • YEE 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

OREOBOREALIS

not a tv show but apparently winnie pooh is free to be used by everyone now. Saw article about someone making a violent horror film about the characters. 

The characters are public domain now. Anyone can use them.

Weird lol

307627?crop=16_9&width=660&relax=1&signa

  • WTF?! 1
  • KEKW 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Big Molio
On 6/15/2022 at 12:55 AM, Jason said:

On the look for a new show, still have a sci-fi urge in me so I've given Star Trek Discovery a go despite not being a Trekkie at all aaaaaaaaaaand it's a big fat meh after 4 episodes. I wanna like it cause it's sci-fi, great production values and all that but after 4 episodes there's not a single character I like, or am interested in learning more about.

 

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, currently airing on Paramount+ (now available in the UK) is pretty good. It looks great, does a great modern riff on the classic Star Trek aesthetic. The lead guy who plays Captain Pike (Anson Mount) makes for a good character. Not so sure on the chap playing the younger Spock, jury is out on him. But the show returns somewhat to that story of the week type format and is all the better for it. Much better than Discovery imo.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Big Molio said:

 

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, currently airing on Paramount+ (now available in the UK) is pretty good. It looks great, does a great modern riff on the classic Star Trek aesthetic. The lead guy who plays Captain Pike (Anson Mount) makes for a good character. Not so sure on the chap playing the younger Spock, jury is out on him. But the show returns somewhat to that story of the week type format and is all the better for it. Much better than Discovery imo.

 

I actually stuck with Discovery, well into s3 atm. The first two seasons play out at maddening pace, sh*t tons of stuff happens off screen, impossible problems are solved every 5 minutes, etc but it's honestly an entertaining watch once you turn your brain off and just let things happen. In season 3 they change things up completely, and now have free reign to do what they want with the story and it's clear this is probably what they always wanted to do with the show but had to keep it familiar early on to get it greenlit.

 

As for SNW, that's on my list and I've already seen the first episode which was good. A few of the cast (Pike and Spock in particular) are part of the main cast of S2 of Disco and Anson Mount's performance as Pike there is what got them the SNW spin-off, he was the star of Disco S2.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

WanteD1

Man vs. Bee 2022 💩

What a boring cringe sh!t 

 

  • KEKW 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

your best pal
On 6/12/2022 at 4:30 PM, AkshayKumar said:

For my next show I am zeroing in on one of Mr Robot or the Expanse.

go with "mr. robot"

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Endeavour Chambers

I just watched a really bizarre sketch show called I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson. It's really something, but I'd guess it's not for everyone:
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Candy_Licker
On 6/15/2022 at 1:55 AM, Jason said:

Finished S4 part 1 of Stranger Things and thought it was great tbh. First 3 seasons had a few great episodes but I never really thought any season overall was great until S4 part 1.

 

On the look for a new show, still have a sci-fi urge in me so I've given Star Trek Discovery a go despite not being a Trekkie at all aaaaaaaaaaand it's a big fat meh after 4 episodes. I wanna like it cause it's sci-fi, great production values and all that but after 4 episodes there's not a single character I like, or am interested in learning more about. The main character is a Mary Sue that I thought they were gonna do something interesting with but then she sorta went back to being a Mary Sue? Not to mention the wackyness of the plot is kinda craycray which is okay but thus far it's really hard to get into it cause while I'm all for heavy fiction in sci-fi, the believabilty of what's going on is rough cause the story of it all feels so thin so far, and they've already shown quite a bit.

 

 

I watched The Expanse from start to finish in about 2 weeks give r take and if I could wipe my memory of it and do it again I wouldn't hesitate. The first few episodes start slow but once it gets going it f*cking goes man. Doesn't slow down until s4 where they slow it down for a bit before S5/S6 kicks it back up a gear.

 

 

Maybe Dark Matter? It got cancelled after 3 season but I liked it, it's similar to Firefly (well, without Western influences, Joss Whedon humor), not as good of course but I still enjoyed it since I like the "rag tag crew" premise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Candy_Licker said:

 

 

Maybe Dark Matter? It got cancelled after 3 season but I liked it, it's similar to Firefly (well, without Western influences, Joss Whedon humor), not as good of course but I still enjoyed it since I like the "rag tag crew" premise.

 

Had it recommended when I was looking for shows but from what I hear it was cancelled on a cliffhanger which puts me off starting it. If I'ma binge something I want it an ending.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Failed Again
Posted (edited)

This is a must see...really A new twist on the Zombie Genre.

Amazing story INote:15/16th century Korea  with a backdrop filled with Zombies. Really good.

 

^ A video game based on the above is in production^

 

 

 

Also. Rumors of a reboot of Firefly -from Disney

Edited by Failed Again
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stranger Things S4 part 2: Really entertaining end to the season IMO. I've enjoyed the show overall but I think S4 might be the first season that's great overall, it's certainly the best since s1 anywho.

 

Star Trek - Strange New Worlds: Finally finished ST Discovery and moved onto this now and it's a complete breath of fresh air. It's a modern, high budget take on a "monster (alien?) of the week" type show and it's fantastic so far at 5 episodes in, it's also got a great all-round cast that are all getting screentime and development which is one of Discovery's weaknesses as that show has barely touched it's supporting cast in terms of character development.

 

The Boys S3: Was a fun watch but overall the show for me is still absolutely carried by Homelander and Butcher, when neither are on screen the show suffers and it showed a lot in S3 which had a few side plots that never went anywhere. Overall the way S3 ends makes it feel like it was an entire season designed to get all the pieces on the board for S4.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Big Molio

We’re currently stuck for something to watch so we have been watching “9-1-1” on Disney+

 

This is a show by Ryan Murphy, creator of “Nip/Tuck”, set in LA, and follows the lives of a fire crew, a dispatcher and a cop played by Angela Bassett. The format is basically one vignette after another of some outlandish incident that these first responders must attend to.
 

Each one starts with a “911 what’s your emergency?” phone call with a voice replying with the next bonkers emergency. So far, I’ve watched them rescue a woman being choked by her own python, a baby that was flushed down a toilet and a gay man with a huge tapeworm coming out of his arse, to name but a few. One of the fire crew (played by the Asian guy in American Pie) ends up in a car crash at one point with a three foot long piece of steel rebar straight through his head. He survives of course and is back on duty in the next episode, apparently none the worse for wear.

 

My wife loves it, because she loved Nip/Tuck, and this by the same creator is exactly the same type of completely surreal, absurd and shallow nonsense. It’s entertaining though.

 

 

Edited by Big Molio
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mexicola9302
8 hours ago, Big Molio said:

We’re currently stuck for something to watch so we have been watching “9-1-1” on Disney+

 

This is a show by Ryan Murphy, creator of “Nip/Tuck”, set in LA, and follows the lives of a fire crew, a dispatcher and a cop played by Angela Bassett. The format is basically one vignette after another of some outlandish incident that these first responders must attend to.
 

Each one starts with a “911 what’s your emergency?” phone call with a voice replying with the next bonkers emergency. So far, I’ve watched them rescue a woman being choked by her own python, a baby that was flushed down a toilet and a gay man with a huge tapeworm coming out of his arse, to name but a few. One of the fire crew (played by the Asian guy in American Pie) ends up in a car crash at one point with a three foot long piece of steel rebar straight through his head. He survives of course and is back on duty in the next episode, apparently none the worse for wear.

 

My wife loves it, because she loved Nip/Tuck, and this by the same creator is exactly the same type of completely surreal, absurd and shallow nonsense. It’s entertaining though.

 

 

Yeah the 9-1-1 that takes place in LA is okay. But believe me never start watching 9-1-1 Lone Star. It's the worst crap. I mean the one in LA is already pretty PC, woke, diverse, but Lone Star brings it to a new level, every box is ticked in the first 5 minutes or something, it really feels like they shove it down the viewers throat.

 

I thought about watching the new Resident Evil series on Netflix, but the IMDB rating totally scared me away from it. Lance Reddick (The Wire, Fringe, Bosch) plays Albert Wesker, that already doesn't make any sense, because Albert Wesker is a white dude in the game universe, apparently nothing in this series makes any sense at all. Like working wifi 15 years after the zombie apocalypse, the soundtrack, acting and plot itself also seems to be bad.

 

I currently catch up with all the previously aired Chicago Fire, PD and Med seasons i missed over the last few years, i stopped watching in the year Chicago Fire season 7 aired, so yeah that is a lot of stuff to watch. Im almost done with it all, only season 8 of Chicago PD is left then im up to date again, well at least in my language, not sure how far it is aired in original english language.

 

I can recommend "The Rookie" with Nathan Fillion, if you are into police series, that are a bit more fun to watch, it doesn't feel so serious like other police series.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Aquamaniac

I'm watching 4th season of Yellowstone, love it. Anyone else watches it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

arthurslater

Did anyone watched DARK web series on Netflix. Time travel lover will definitely like this web series. mind-blowing story.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Algonquin Assassin

So the other week I started watching the new Resident Evil series on Netflix and stopped watching after the first episode. I also found Infinite Darkness incredibly disappointing too.

 

Why is it so hard to make a compelling Resident Evil tv series? It’s funny because besides the games of course the only piece of Resident Evil media I’ve enjoyed lately was the Welcome To Racoon City movie. Even though it was a clusterf*ck it at least reminded of the cheesy, b grade quality of the classic Resident Evil games.


Anyway back to the Netflix series. I understand why it’s been massacred  critically and deservedly so. Even the scenes with zombies were boring. How can you f*ck that up in a Resident Evil property?

 

Complete utter trash. Worst tv series I’ve seen in a long time.

Edited by Algonquin Assassin

GTA IV Signature V4 by Lettermaniac on DeviantArt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

Please be good, please be good, please be good, please be good.

 

The Sandman is in many peoples opinions the flat out best comic book / graphic novel of all time, so expectations are inherently high just from that. Neil Gaiman, the writer of the comic, is involved and the budget seems to be there which was always a worry with this being adapted for TV. I watched two clips of it they put out as well the other day and it gave me hope they'll do it right.

 

Cause f*ck I hope they do it right cause then we might get a spin-off show based on what I think is the best comic of all time, Lucifer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Big Molio

Virgin River

(Season 4, Netflix)

 

The wife came home from work yesterday absolutely cock-a-hoop because one of her friends had told her that this had dropped on Netflix.

 

For the uninitiated, Virgin River is a very nice, very wholesome romantic drama series about a nurse practitioner named Mel, who has moved from LA to the eponymous small, rural town of Virgin River, a lovely town with log cabins, creeks, a river, picturesque forests, and a whole load of friendly inhabitants who make pie for each other and hold Summer fetes, go kayaking etc

 

She falls in love with Jack, the local bar / restaurant owner, and as the show progresses, their relationship, their friends and relatives’ lives and the various patients at the local doctors surgery where Mel works come in and out of focus.

 

It is one of those shows that is completely inoffensive, even among some of the more ‘violent’ dramatic storylines that take place. It is saccharine-filled, feel-good, comfort TV, and that isn’t really a bad thing.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.