3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

TV series general chat

jelly

Big Molio

Just finished Reacher season 1 on Amazon. Not bad. I can't attest to whether the character and series closely matches Lee Child's literary character and story because I haven't read any of the Jack Reacher novels, but the general buzz seems to indicate that they do.

Looking forward to Vikings: Valhalla which drops on February 25th on Netflix. The original Vikings show was awesome I thought. Loved it.

• Like 1

Blasted through all 4 seasons of THE SINNER, damn. 3rd season was probably the best. Harry really got into the case, in too deep.

• Realistic Steak! 1

Mister Pink
On 2/6/2022 at 12:45 PM, Notorious_Jack said:

Finished season 2 of HBO's Succesion recently and man... I got to admit, I've never been a fan of post-The Wire HBO, never got on the bandwagon. Everything is very expensive, great actors, stellar production, but the drama was never there for me. Succession has changed that. Not gonna spoil it, but the end of season 2 is one of the finest writing I've ever encountered in a TV show, very Shakespearean. It had been a great while since HBO and mass entertainment in general could provide such dramatic subtlety.

This is a very good endorsement for me. Huge fan of The Wire and while I enjoyed some things like The Deuce and Boardwalk Empire, I wasn't gripped by anything since. However, Succession keeps cropping up as a HBO great. I must watch it. 

TheSantader25

Started Succession and it seems good so far.

Also started watching Mad Men for the first time. There are not that many shows that can hook me without some criminal drama and action, but these two shows have currently kept me hooked. Very well written dialogue and characters. Especially Mad Men. I guess I'm finally maturing lol. I can now tolerate shows where people don't kill each other with guns but with dialogue.

• 2 weeks later...
The Time Ranger

So about a month ago I watched the live action Netflix adaptation of Cowboy Bebop, I had only seen a couple of episodes of the original years ago, so I was essentially going in blind, and to sum it up, it wasn't very good, the actors tried to save it, but the dialogue was corny and hammy, the storylines were mainly adapted from the anime, but the rewrites didn't do them justice, as such storylines  ranged from ok to drawn out, character development felt stilted, and the camera work was odd, a lot of dutch angles, and just the way it was filmed, as a layman I can't put it into words but it just felt off. The only real pro was it inspired my to watch the original, talk about night and day. 

I finished the original in a week, i'm not an anime guy but it was great, the characters were rich in backstory and depth, the plots were thought provoking and engaging, there is action, romance, tension, psychological drama and humour abound, a whole spectrum of human behavior is on show here and explored with pathos, and exemplified by the tagline, "whatever happens, happens."

All in all it's now one of my favorite shows. 

Big Molio

Okay, so me and the wife, at 47 and 41 respectively, probably aren't the targeted demographic for Outer Banks on Netflix. This show is set in and around the "Figure 8" islands and waterways off the coast of North Carolina, and is filmed with this eternally orange glow to it to give it an endless Summer vibe. The story, so far as we have watched in Season 1, centers on four young adults, John B, JJ, Pope and Kiara, who are pals and are known as "pogues", or the poor people of the area. The other half of these "haves and have-nots" are the rich kids and their families known colloquially as the "kooks". 

John B lives a carefree surfer, beach bum kind of life in his (absent) uncle's house since his father went missing at sea, presumably whilst looking for "The Royal Merchant", a locally famous 19th century slave ship that sank in the area, and which was supposedly carrying around $400m dollar's worth of gold. Constantly under threat from the local law and being shipped off to foster care, John B and his pals pick up the trail and get themselves embroiled in a dangerous treasure hunt for the loot. At the same time these kids have all the usual parent trouble, romantic relationship, "pogues vs kooks" type teen dramas that you would expect.

It's pretty engaging and enjoyable in fairness, and plays out a bit like a contemporary mash-up of The Goonies, Scooby Doo and The Famous Five. It actually feels old-fashioned in its storytelling, as if it were from the 80's or something, but that isn't a bad thing.

Edited by Big Molio
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
sabitsuki

Finished binging Babylon Berlin Season 1 on Netflix. Man, it is such a hidden gem.

p14585508_b_v13_ac.jpg

It's a period police noir piece set in Weimar-era Germany that stars Volker Bruch (of Generation War fame) as a PTSD-stricken detective from Cologne in a very politically volatile Berlin in the late-20s and early-30s. Lots of really awesome set design, action and drama, with plenty of allusions and reenactments of actual events that took place during the era, including the Communist divisions and riots as well as the slow rise of the Nazi Party. The aesthetics are probably some of the most impressive things about this show, the whole vibe, with the characters, the architecture, the fashion and the cinematography, even down to the show's opening, all scream 1920s German Expressionism.

All in all, very cool show for anyone starting out on European television, and an even better show if you're a big history buff.

Other really good German period shows are the aforementioned Generation War, about a group of friends that split up, and reunite, during and after World War II-era Nazi Germany, and Deutschland 83, which is about an East German Stasi spy that moves to the West during the height of the Cold War.

Edited by sabitsuki

• 2 weeks later...
Mister Pink

I finished Narcos: Mexico last night. It's that show that makes me hope the next GTA will be inspired by it. The whole cartel violence in places like central and South America is quite fascinating and I think the kind of violence that occurs from Cartels like the Sinaloa cartel can lend itself really well to a game like GTA - as it can be over-the-top violence like a GTA game and still keep some integrity by being realistic. A bit like Vice City, really. 

Failed Again

"The Last Kingdom"

Really did A good job with this season.

There will be no season 6

Sad

but a movie to complete show

The Book(s) has 13 titles. I recommend reading. or listening to them

By Bernard Cornwell

Edited by Failed Again

Big Molio

We are currently watching Season 6 of Outlander, which is being aired weekly on Starz. We thought that we were going to be able to watch this on Amazon Prime in the UK, but it was moved to Starz for (you guessed it) an additional subscription premium.

Fortunately, it is also being aired on Netflix in France, and I have both a Netflix subscription and Nord VPN on my laptop, so we can just hook the laptop up to the TV in the living room.

For those unfamiliar with Outlander, it is a series based on a series of books by Diana Gabaldon. The premise is a about a nurse, Claire Randall, from the 1940's who goes to Scotland with her husband on holiday, and finds a mysterious stone circle. She goes back in time through the stones and ends up in Scotland 200 years earlier at the time of the Jacobite rebellion. There she meets and falls in love with Jamie Fraser, eventually becoming his wife. As the show progresses through Seasons 1 - 6, she finds herself in France with Jamie, before coming back to the 20th century for many years, and then going back with their adult daughter. From there, the characters move to the Caribbean and eventually America where they settle and from where the show has been set ever since.

My wife started watching this on a recommendation, and I just kind of got into it as well. The first season is a bit slow, and focuses a lot on the romance side. However, as the show progresses, it does get much better.  The later seasons set in America, and the addition of Claire's daughter Brianna and her husband Roger (also from the 20th century) really improve things. There are some interesting aspects to Claire being able to devise and administer 20th century medicine and techniques to 18th century people.

So a decent show all round.

Outlander-Season-5.jpg?w=1014&ssl=1

Notorious_Jack

Has anyone seen Yellowstone? I keep hearing great things about it and I do like Kevin Costner a lot, but the fact that it's a modern Hollywood production makes me a bit suspicious. Over the last decade, they've developed a strong liking for taking established franchises or genres and twist them according to the cultural and ideological trends of today. Did Yellowstone receive the same treatment?

DexMacLeod
6 hours ago, Notorious_Jack said:

Has anyone seen Yellowstone? I keep hearing great things about it and I do like Kevin Costner a lot, but the fact that it's a modern Hollywood production makes me a bit suspicious. Over the last decade, they've developed a strong liking for taking established franchises or genres and twist them according to the cultural and ideological trends of today. Did Yellowstone receive the same treatment?

I mean, no...? Yellowstone isn't an established franchise and genre-wise it's just a drama. If you're looking for a Western but set in modern times it's not that. It's a family drama at its core with a rich people fighting other rich people over land legal drama on top.

As to whether or not it's good? Meh, it used to be. I really liked the first season but I get the sense that they never planned it to be a long running show. It got hugely popular and they started stretching out the plot to the point that the central storyline barely feels like it ever really moves forward at all.

If you want a true Western, though, 1883 was really good. It's a prequel to Yellowstone but is also, essentially, "The Oregon Trail" as a ten episode series.

The Time Ranger

I watched the first season of Reacher on Amazon Prime, based on the novels by Lee Child. I really enjoyed it, a good mix of intrigue, mystery and action, with a strong cast of characters not excluding the eponymous Reacher, who is almost a force of nature, a man of righteous violent justice. Alan Ritchson brings a physicality that befits the character.

If I had to make a comparison, I'd say it has similarities to both Justified and Banshee, two very good shows in their own way, Reacher overall has the strong and full characterization of Justified, mixed a little of the pulpy nature of Banshee. A good watch that I finished up in three days, looking forward to season 2. 

Big Molio

I am four episodes into the first season of sci-fi drama Raised by Wolves

This show is about two androids "Mother" and "Father" who attempt to raise children on desolate planet Kepler 22-B following evacuation from a war torn Earth. The "Mother" android is also a necromancer, or a weapon of mass destruction with the power to fly and reign instant death down on just about everything. The war on Earth is between two factions, believers and non-believers.

Raised by Wolves has Ridley Scott as an executive producer and also as director for the first two episodes. It is a bit of a slow burner, and gets into some philosophical ideas about religion, belief versus atheism and the nature of what it means to be human, and a parent.

It looks absolutely stunning, and the special effects are top drawer. Ridley Scott's fingerprints are all over it, and it does feel very "Prometheus" like in parts.

I'll keep going with it because I am intrigued, and it is very nice to look at.

Edited by Big Molio

Big Molio

The other thing I have ongoing at the minute is Season 1 of “Yellowstone”

We kept hearing things about this and thought we would give it a go. Not bad.

The actress who plays Kayce’s wife Monica is easy on the eye.

DexMacLeod

Just caught the first two episodes of Outer Range on Thursday and it's pretty damn good. It's sort of got a "Yellowstone" meets "Signs" vibe to it. Doesn't feel like it should work but it does. And Josh Brolin is pretty excellent in it. From what I've read it's a one and done season of 8 episodes with 2 episodes every week. I don't want to say much else about it but I recommend checking it out. Feels like it might make a good one or two sitting binge watch when it's all done.

Amazon also teased me with the first three episodes of "From". It's a show I've been interested in for awhile but it's on Epix and I don't have Epix so I kind of forgot about it until I saw it on Amazon Prime. Frustratingly, Amazon doesn't tell you that it's only the first three episodes that are free. Now I'll likely wait until the season's over and do a free trial or something.

Anyway, "From" is sort of "Salem's Lot" meets 'Wayward Pines". It's made by a lot of people who worked on "Lost" and has that sort of "mystery box" feel to it but they've come out and said that they intend to be more forthcoming with answers than Lost was. 

I really enjoyed the three episode teaser Amazon gave but I just don't think any one show is worth singing up for yet another subscription service. At least not one with so little else to offer. With Showtime and even Starz I can at least find a movie or two to watch along with whatever show I signed up for. Epix doesn't seem to have much else at all. 

Evil empire

I'll never get tired of Relic hunter. This series has everything I like: adventures, action, humor, a very endearing duo of main characters and a sexy main female character. I have already every episode at least once and it's always a pleasure to see them again.

Big Molio
On 4/16/2022 at 6:46 PM, DexMacLeod said:

I really enjoyed the three episode teaser Amazon gave but I just don't think any one show is worth singing up for yet another subscription service. At least not one with so little else to offer. With Showtime and even Starz I can at least find a movie or two to watch along with whatever show I signed up for. Epix doesn't seem to have much else at all. 

This is becoming a real problem. I'm already signed up to Sky, Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+, but it seems that more and more shows are being taken from these and locked behind even more subscription services. We can't get Outlander on Prime any more as it has been moved to Starz, and the new Star Trek is going to be on Paramount+

I may have to ditch Sky. I only have it for the Formula 1, but it is ridiculously expensive.

DexMacLeod
8 hours ago, Big Molio said:

This is becoming a real problem. I'm already signed up to Sky, Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+, but it seems that more and more shows are being taken from these and locked behind even more subscription services. We can't get Outlander on Prime any more as it has been moved to Starz, and the new Star Trek is going to be on Paramount+

I may have to ditch Sky. I only have it for the Formula 1, but it is ridiculously expensive.

Yeah, that's the way it's always been here for those shows. It's tough to keep up with everything now a days. I swear there's at least 15 streaming services, all with at least one or two good shows, on top of the traditional TV shows. There's more than I can even watch and still I get that FOMO and end up impulsively signing up for something new every few months.

Speaking of which. I ended up biting the bullet and signed up for Epix. It was $15 for six months so it doesn't hurt too much. Other than "From" they've also got a Billy the Kid show starting up next weekend and at least a couple movies I've been wanting to see but missed out on. I figure I'll get my money's worth out of it.

WanteD1

I'm watching The Devil Judge 2021 

Currently in EP10
It's amazing! I love it!

3609778049.jpeg

lol sh!ty cover but it's so good! Anyone else liked it? season 2 is not confirmed? sad 

Mexicola9302

Yeah it's a real problem there are like 15 streaming services already. I only got Amazon Prime Video (without subchannels), Netflix and Disney+ subscriptions. If there is a series or movie that isn't free to watch on any of these platforms. I just download it illegaly from a One Click Hoster. At least i never miss out on anything i might wanna watch like this. I just pay 100€ a year for a Rapidgator premium account on top of all the other subscriptions, and download stuff with JDownloader 2, it downloads and unpacks everything fully automatic, i only have to add the download links.

This is also good if you just want some stuff permanently archived, to maybe watch it again after a few years or to give it to friends and family etc.

Im currently watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and that is currently only available via Sky, no way i ever get a Sky subscription. It's cheaper to just pay 100€ a year, and being able to download everything. If i wanted to watch that all legal, i would probably have to pay more than 500 or 600€ or even more a year, lol hell no.

GTA-Biker

I've been watching The Americans in the last few weeks.I've seen a few episodes of the last season already,but now I've been watching it form the first season.Interesting show.

I've also started watching Primeval again last week.I first watched it back when I was a teenager in 2008,and it's been one of my favorite science fiction shows since then.The special effects are still pretty good for TV show standards,the premise is interesting,and I find the use of the Wilhelm scream in almost every episode as a running gag really funny.

Mexicola9302

Im currently doing a rerun of Westworld, such an awesome show.

Im at s01e04 atm.

Edited by Mexicola9302

Big Molio

We are now halfway through Season 3 of "Yellowstone"

It's a solidly entertaining show, for sure, even if some of the plots and situations in it are beyond ludicrous. According to "Yellowstone", people who live and work on cattle ranches in contemporary Montana still think it is the days of the wild west. Fist fights, beatings and even shooting each other dead isn't seen as anything too outrageous in this show, as the characters flit from scene to scene on their horses, with nary a police officer in sight. Apologies, there is a police officer, but he's John Dutton's mate and always says he will "Look the other way" when some cowboy justice needs dealing out. I like it though.

• 3 weeks later...

After watching a bit of the Halo show I was in the mood for some proper TV sci-fi again so I started The Expanse. Just finished the first series and yep it's got me like crack cocaine.

Pacing is really good, always hate shows that are 1 plotline that they drag out by developing it for 2-3 every minutes every other episode and then fill the rest of the season with unnecessary character drama. Here, so far, the plot is unraveling and developing every episode and characters aren't doing rando bullsh*t for no reason. Really really digging it so far.

mike9199
Posted (edited)

Started to watch Marvelous Ms Maisel. Definitely not bad.

Have some issue with the performance of my firestick at the moment but hopefully after reseting kodi everything will be back to normal.

This site offers a detailed instruction how to do it without stress.

Curious if someone else does it from time to time and how often actually.

Edited by mike9199

Mexicola9302
Posted (edited)

Im currently doing a rerun of Mindhunter season 1 and 2, currently at s1e3. It sucks there probably won't be a third season. Season 1 is so great, it's unbelievable. It's so great seeing Anna Torv again, i loved Fringe she plays a very good role in Mindhunter.

Edited by Mexicola9302

6 hours ago, Mexicola9302 said:

Im currently doing a rerun of Mindhunter season 1 and 2, currently at s1e3. It sucks there probably won't be a third season. Season 1 is so great, it's unbelievable. It's so great seeing Anna Torv again, i loved Fringe she plays a very good role in Mindhunter.

It may happen one day, David Fincher (the showrunner) and the cast (as far I've seen) are all up for it but Fincher's got many projects he wants to do but has said he wants to return to it at some point.

Got my fingers crossed for it happening one day, supposedly season 3 was going to take them to Hollywood which could be great. Great show.

DexMacLeod

This is weird.

https://screenrant.com/1883-season-2-renewed-bass-reeves-character-story-details/

So, 1883 was supposed to be a single season show and recently got renewed for a season two. Rather than continue the story from season they're going to go the anthology route and do a completely unrelated story about legendary lawman Bass Reeves. What's weird is this is a standalone show that was already in production and they're essentially just tacking a "Yellowstone" label onto it.

I'm all for a Bass Reeves season, and the idea of a western anthology series sounds amazing, but this just seems like such a terrible way to go with it. Calling it 1883 just feels like a purely corporate move on every level and serves no creative purpose whatsoever.