4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

TV series general chat

jelly

Guest Billy Russo

Really enjoyed the new Netflix show Daybreak

It doesn't take itself too seriously, and is a lot of fun. Not only that it's really beautifully shot, paced and the scenery is really well done. The characters also have so much personality and vibrancy to them.

Duhillestpunk

M*A*S*H was such a great show. It had its funny moments. Sad moments. And heartfelt moments. Every actor and actress in that show played their characters so well. Hell you know a show is excellent when it makes you cry. The show did make me tear up a handful of times. Like that time Henry Blake died. I was like “oh crap”. But I think the most saddest moment was in the episode...

“Period of adjustment”. Radar left back to the states and everyone at the 4077 was sad he was gone all except for Klinger and BJ. Klinger was upset because (since he had taken Radars job as a company clerk. He was expected to be better or at least the same as Radar). Klinger however wasn’t so good at it and was struggling with the mail and calls. He was scolded for being well not good at that. Everyone at the 4077 was used to Radar getting stuff done with ease. BJ wasn’t mad at Radar at first until his wife sent him a letter. She wrote that she and their daughter saw Radar at the airport and BJs daughter called him “daddy”. That upset him because before he left for Korea, his daughter was really young and didn’t know. But she was older and mistakenly called Radar dad because he was wearing the uniform. So that made BJ pissed and sad (I’d be too). So later in the episode Hawkeye (BJs best friend) is informed by Winchester that BJ has been in the Swamp (the hut where BJ, Hawkeye, and Winchester slept) drinking and was pissed drunk. Hawkeye goes and sees what’s up. He finds out the reason why BJs upset is because of the contents of the letter. BJ and Hawkeye end up getting into a fight before BJ knocks Hawkeye out cold and leaving the Swamp in a fit of rage. Later in the episode they are found in the Potters office even more drunk after the two broke into his liquor cabinet. Klinger is taken to the clerk part of the office and is talked to by Potter. He tells him that he’s no Radar but he’s Klinger and he should do thinks the Max Klinger way and if he needs help just to knock on Potters door.

I saved BJs for last because it made me speechless and very sad on the verge of tearing up.

Hawkeye and BJ talk and BJ apologises for hitting his best friend. They talk about why BJ was upset and BJ just breaks down. About Radar and another soldier who left “Macintyre” but he never knew him as BJ stated. Hawkeye calms him down and says “Someday we'll all go home”. The final part of the episode is Hawkeye, Klinger, and BJ rebuilding the Still and all having a toast to Radar.

This episode was great for a lot of reasons but I thought it was great showing how a good peaceful minded man like BJ have a complete breakdown. It made the show seem natural. Just because a character was strong minded didn’t mean that they couldn’t be emotional.

Edited by Duhillestpunk
I didn’t mention everything in this episode I mentioned just the hard hitting parts. Give it a watch. Seriously you won’t be disappointed.

Guest Billy Russo

Has anybody watched Living With Yourself with Paul Rudd yet? It looks interesting, I think I'm going to give it a go. I really enjoy Paul Rudd, and I'm actually in the mood for a drama sort of series.

Is this The Guy?
On 11/5/2019 at 6:46 PM, Billy Russo said:

It doesn't take itself too seriously, and is a lot of fun. Not only that it's really beautifully shot, paced and the scenery is really well done. The characters also have so much personality and vibrancy to them.

I liked this show a lot.  Kind of similar to Futureman on Hulu in that it’s kind of cheesy and super weird but I love it.

Broderick was excellent in it as well.

Did you finish it? If you did then...

The ending pissed me off lol. f*cking Sam Dean.  I was rooting for Josh to get the girl too but it’s definitely a twist I didn’t see coming.

Anyone watch the Watchmen on HBO?

I been liking it so far. Got some fairly familiar and serious situations in an all around weird world.

A world where there’s a super being living on Mars, a by the book Panda that controls the police weapons, and it rains squid.

I never followed the comics I only know the movie so I haven’t felt the same outrage that a lot of other people were feeling upon the shows release.

Edited by Is this The Guy?

Algonquin Assassin
On 11/6/2019 at 12:46 PM, Billy Russo said:

I watched the first couple of episodes, but it wasn't doing it for me for some reason. The Mad Max esque crossed with The Walking Dead style was cool. but yeah just couldn't get into it sadly.

Anyway have you guys heard of a show called Godfather Of Harlem? I only just started watching it and it's bloody fantastic IMO. It stars Forest Whitaker as Bumpy Johnson and it's set in 1960s Harlem as he takes on the Genovese Crime family. It also stars Paul Sorvino and Vincent D'Onofrio. It's been some time since I've seen a decent organised crime drama on TV and this looks right up my alley.

GTA IV Signature V4 by Lettermaniac on DeviantArt

I loved every episode of this. I wish it was longer than one season though.

• Like 1

The Audiophile Thread

XB271HU | TESORO Gram XS | Xtrfy MZ1 | Xbox Elite v2 | Hifiman Sundara | Fiio K9 Pro

i7 4790K 4.4 GHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 32 GB Crucial DDR3 | ADATA 256GB | Samsung 860 PRO 2TB

Xbox | Xbox 360 | Xbox Series X | PS2 | PS3 | Google Pixel 6 Pro

Lonely-Martin

Started Watchmen and it is very absorbing. I feel I should have let it run and recorded each episode so I can keep on top. Easy to lose track when it's one episode a week. Too used to binging seasons this last few years, lol.

Still good though. 

• Like 1

Guest Billy Russo

1192255.jpg

Living With Yourself.

Paul Rudd has his acting chops in display in this one. Superbly acted from start to finish, interesting storyline, and a lot of scenes which will make you think about life. Only 8 episodes and they all felt very short, but it's well worth the time. Really doesn't take long to finish this one, but it'll stick with you. Definitely has it's humorous moments intertwined in all the serious stuff, which is nice. I'm always very impressed when an actor can play two versions of themselves. It isn't an easy task by any stretch, especially making them feel vastly different.

Lonely-Martin

I recorded and saved all if American Horror Story: 1984 so I could get stuck in on that.

Absolutely loved this season too, what a blast indeed. The music is bloody great, the opening credits are awesome, and very nostalgic too. It was a fun story and there's so much fun here for 80's slasher fans, this has become my favourite season to date, and it's not even close, lol. (And I love some seasons already!)

I highly recommend watching the opening credits just to get a feel of the vibe, it's a really good little package with a great theme. 

Also, Watchmen has continued to get better I feel. Episode 5 done and it's all starting to click well. Really enjoying Jeremy Irons in this show, he looks to be really enjoying it here. Hope it keeps going like this. :)

• Like 2

Algonquin Assassin
On 11/22/2019 at 10:39 AM, Lonely-Martin said:

I recorded and saved all if American Horror Story: 1984 so I could get stuck in on that.

Absolutely loved this season too, what a blast indeed. The music is bloody great, the opening credits are awesome, and very nostalgic too. It was a fun story and there's so much fun here for 80's slasher fans, this has become my favourite season to date, and it's not even close, lol. (And I love some seasons already!)

Just because I can...

Indeed the opening sequence is brilliant. Every episode I watched I just loved watching it. It's got that campy 80s slasher tone and makes it feel like you're watching a VHS tape.

I think I'll definitely watch it again though. The time jump to 1989 kind of confused me and I get the feeling many things simply went over my head. I prefer to binge watch these kind of shows than watching them on a weekly basis anyway,

• Like 1

GTA IV Signature V4 by Lettermaniac on DeviantArt

• 4 weeks later...

The Witcher

It's Always Sunny Season 14

Rick&Morty S4

The Expanse S4

The Mandalorian

Seems like the little tv drought is over for now.😗

• 2 weeks later...

I've just finished watching Chernobyl, It´s probably an unpopular opinion, but, I don't think the series lived to all the hype I was getting before watching. It's still a really good series though, I would give it a 8,5.

Edited by Self-Destructive Man

zqdfcKAm_o.png

BBC's Dracula miniseries. Really enjoyed episode 1 and 2 but then episode 3 kinda shat the bed which makes sense in hindsight given it was a Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss (Sherlock) show. Parts the last episode I liked but generally it was just a bunch of wasted potential.

I just recently finished Season 2 of You 

It's a great show for what it is, and always keeps the suspense up. Penn Badgley is perfect for the role of Joe Goldberg because whilst handsome, he just has this vibe about his looks like he's hiding something and it just plays so well in to the character he plays.

Uncle Sikee Atric

Infinity Train, Books (Seasons) 1 and 2 :

Each season is mini-series of 10 episodes, each of 12 minutes, but it has beautiful artwork, an incredible storyline (which goes way beyond to tackle issues that Cartoon Network won't touch otherwise), and an unforgettable soundtrack.  This might be the first official reveal from 2018, but it sets the tone perfectly for what could be one of the best animated series of this decade....

The train has so many stories to tell.

MOaRJRr.jpg

Is this The Guy?

Awww. Damon Lindelof has no interest in a Watchmen season 2 so HBO won’t be pursuing a second season without him. 😫

Edited by Is this The Guy?
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, J Dilla said:

I think I might check out The Sopranos. I finished off The Godfather of Harlem which I really enjoyed.

You wont regret it.

Funny you mentioned it because I was just reading an article about it. Writer's Guild of America voted it the best written show ever. That was back in 2013. While I wouldn't make the list like that (no Boardwalk Empire, although that was still showing) and The Wire would be in the top 3. 

But yeah, The Sopranos is great. It's so re-watchable as well. Tony Soprano might be one of the greatest characters ever written. If not the best.  He's such a scumbag but he's just so endearing, and throughout the show, you find yourself rooting for this despicable human being. 

It's really hard to find one encompassing Sopranos clip. So I'll just leave these two. One of them violent (but the show certainly doesn't rely on violence for the sake of it. The show has plenty of depth, often with metaphors and subtext) but this clip is funny. You don't need any backstory to appreciate it.  

This next clip isn't violent at all but it shows one of the core themes in The Sopranos. It's a good example of Gandalfini's acting and the weight he gives Tony Soprano. 

This bit is showing Tony asserting his dominance and reinforcing the crime family hierarchy. Rich is obviously more tenured than and mature than Tony but Tony is acting boss. Richie was in the can for 10 years, so he took one for the team. So he has a chip on his shoulder because everything kind of moves on when you are in prison. He kind of lost his place. He keeps trying to claw back some respect from Tony. To complicate matters, Rich is starting to get with Tony's sister. So there's this conflict. It's personal and it's business - which is a huge theme throughout the show. Trying to untangle real relationships, family, friends but also trying to navigate being a mafioso makes things very complicated. Killing friends, killing family member is part of the deal. The families (mafia and blood-related) are so insular, it happens that way. 

So yeah, the Sopranos has all the exciting family politics power-plays, with graphic violence and then richness of character development, and added depth as it has some symbolism/subtext and metaphos spread throughout. It also adds an interesting dynamic that we see Tony going to a psychologist. So, it's really a meta experience. We see Tony in all his scumbaggery, his strange affinity and almost empathy for animals (but definitely not humans) and we see how he behaves in therapy - but we've seen how he behaves all the time and then the stories he feeds his therapist. And as the audience, I think we're all constantly analyzing him. All very engrossing stuff. 

At least give the first series a shot. Let the story open up as these shows need at least 3 or 4 episodes to really blossom. 

Edited by Mister Pink
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Mister Pink said:

You wont regret it.

That settles it then, I'll start on the first season tonight.. then check out The Wire sometime too lol Thanks

• Like 2

Lonely-Martin

Anyone tried a British sitcom called Friday Night Dinner? I caught a few eps ages ago but it slipped undr the radar but we've been going through them again and done 3 seasons in 3 nights (as they're only 6x 30 min eps per series). 

Funny as hell that show! It's a pretty simple premise where the two grown up sons of a couple always pop back home for a Friday night dinner with their folks. It stars Simon Bird, also known as Briefcase Wanker from The Inbetweeners (a classic!), but the show is far less crude and has a lot less swearing than The Inbetweeners so less likely to offend, as I can see The Inbetweeners mention put some off, lol.

That said, it has a moment or two. The neighbour Jim has real moments of comedy gold but also plenty of cringy moments too, he is a strange chap (a bit of a Crispin Glover in him). Both he and the woman who plays the mum are both in another madcap show called The Green Wing, which again is just bloody funny, if a bit weird with it too. I love the dad here as he had some funny lines that just make me laugh out loud. 

For those that have seen it though, this really is a lovely bit of squirrel. :)

TheSantader25

Just started Bojack Horseman. Gotta say pretty underrated show. Manages to combine comedy with deep characters at the same time. 

• Like 1

It's so awful to see a TV series you like ending, it's almost like saying goodbye to a good friend.

• Like 2

I laughed

• Like 2

Just finished BoJack Horseman. It's the best thing Netflix has ever done IMO. Very human and touching show (and not in the conventional way)

It's not the kind of story were everything is romanticized, it's harsh and truthful about life in general. It can be depressive and suicidal at times I know, but BoJack deals with such things in the RIGHT WAY (shame on you 13 Reasons Why) and it sends the correct, bittersweet message about these subjects.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I gave up on The Sopranos during the 5th season, I felt the writing took a dive. I might binge the rest before the sequel is out.

I'm on Get Shorty season 3 now, I forgot there was a new season to check out. This show is fantastic! the music is great, acting is tops, the writing is so fun. Anyone who liked the movie should check it out. When that's over i'll start on The Wire

Edited by J Dilla
  • Like 1

Lonely-Martin
14 hours ago, J Dilla said:

I gave up on The Sopranos during the 5th season, I felt the writing took a dive. I might binge the rest before the sequel is out.

I'm on Get Shorty season 3 now, I forgot there was a new season to check out. This show is fantastic! the music is great, acting is tops, the writing is so fun. Anyone who liked the movie should check it out. When that's over i'll start on The Wire

I love Get Shorty, can't wait for season 3 to arrive here in the UK. 

Chris O'Dowd is brilliant here, as is Ray Romano and the chap who played Johnny in Deadwood but I forget his name. Properly funny show and very entertaining.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that’s us reached the end of Season 6 Part 1 of “Vikings” on Amazon Prime. The last ten episodes making up Part 2 will be released later this year, then that’s it. It’s been f*cking ace too, best thing I have watched in years...skol!

Mister Pink
On 2/18/2020 at 8:31 PM, J Dilla said:

Oh so you did actually watch it in the end. Very good.  Your getting through it pretty quick. I first watched it over a year or so. It was hard to notice a drop as it was spread out over time.

The Wire is consistently good, except for Season 5. The show is super realistic in terms of having real locals, ex-criminals, ex-cops etc playing roles and involved in the writing - but Season 5 which focuses on the media, gets a little more fictional. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't go 24 on us, just for The Wire, one element of the story gets a little OTT. It's still great though. But Seasons, 1, 2, 3 4 are almost flawless. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2020 at 1:35 AM, Mister Pink said:

Oh so you did actually watch it in the end. Very good.  Your getting through it pretty quick. I first watched it over a year or so. It was hard to notice a drop as it was spread out over time.

The Wire is consistently good, except for Season 5. The show is super realistic in terms of having real locals, ex-criminals, ex-cops etc playing roles and involved in the writing - but Season 5 which focuses on the media, gets a little more fictional. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't go 24 on us, just for The Wire, one element of the story gets a little OTT. It's still great though. But Seasons, 1, 2, 3 4 are almost flawless. 

Yeh I was binging it like crazy with my dad lol. I've just watched the first episode of The Wire so far but looking forward to continuing. The curse of the 5th season ay?

One thing I should've mentioned about Get Shorty earlier in the thread, it was written by Elmore Leanord, same writer as Tarantino's Jackie Brown!

Mister Pink
36 minutes ago, J Dilla said:

Yeh I was binging it like crazy with my dad lol. I've just watched the first episode of The Wire so far but looking forward to continuing. The curse of the 5th season ay?

Yeah, hope it was OK. Took me at least 3 or 4 episodes to warm to it. Because the characters will talk about other people like you know them. It's really unforgiving for the audience, you just got to pay attention. But the pay-off is so rewarding, every other show will seem dumb after it. 

Keep meaning to watch Get Shorty. I'm sure I seen it years ago and it keeps cropping up as good film. And Jackie Brown is probably my fav Tarantino film, except for True Romance.