2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

TV series general chat

Yeah, the walking dead really seems more like a summer show. It always looks so damn hot in Georgia.

I just watched the first episode of Shameless, on Showtime. I was impressed. William H. Macy looks like a shoo-in for an Emmy.

Wow, they actually made an American remake of Shameless? I'm gonna have to check that out...

And yeah, William H. Macy is an amazing actor, I'm interested in seeing his interpretation of Frank Gallagher.

That Shameless post threw me a bit, as the latest Uk series started this Monday (and is on every night this week). What kind of people does it focus on? I mean, I don't know if there's really a clear American analogue for council estates the closest I could think of is inner city neighbourhoods or rednecks, then again I am quite ignorant of real US culture

I like Two and Half Men :-D Awesome sitcom. It always makes me laugh my ass off :-D

I have watched every episode so far and I have seen series 2 to 3 about 3 times over :-) The day Charlie Sheen stops being funny I don't know what I will do.

Don't suppose there are any Southland fans here? I quite enjoyed the first two series when they showed them over here in the UK, it's kind of a like a light version of The Wire. I've only just discovered that the third series starting showing two weeks ago on TNT. Anybody watched it at all? Any good so far?

I went in expecting The Shield lite. I tried watching it, but couldn't get past the first episode. The dialog, the way it was filmed, the characters... Everything was just off. However, I was impressed with McKenzie's portrayal. I didn't expect much from him. I think the fact that it's on network television (or was?) crippled it quite a lot, the bleeping being one of the more obvious examples.

I went in expecting The Shield lite. I tried watching it, but couldn't get past the first episode. The dialog, the way it was filmed, the characters... Everything was just off. However, I was impressed with McKenzie's portrayal. I didn't expect much from him. I think the fact that it's on network television (or was?) crippled it quite a lot, the bleeping being one of the more obvious examples.

Maybe getting it on DVD could fix that. I couldn't imagine watching Breaking Bad with bleeping, it would ruin certain memorable scenes.

I want to give Southland a try, might get the DVDs at some point. Maybe when I'm finally caught up with Mad Men.

Don Garcia

I'm gonna be a total gaywad and watch the series premiere of the US Skins on MTV tonight. I just wanna see the spanish/italian/whatever lesbian chick.

I saw a trailer quite some time ago for the US version of Skins. Total f*cking rip off of one of the series of the UK version. I mean to the point where whole scenes are duplicated with really bad dialog. I had to actually laugh at how bad it was while watching it. I'd be surprised if anyone enjoyed it more if they ever get to see the UK version.

Don Garcia

So I checked out Skins. Wasn't horrible and I'll admit it. Tons of the expected 'edginess' with frank talk of sex, drugs, and crazy teen partying revolving around the 'cool' kids who seem to go to an impossibly hip high school. Obvious indie/hipster soundtrack thrown in too of course.

So, ehh... Not enough of the lesbian.

Watched it myself and didn't like it at all. I just couldn't get it out of my head the fact it was pretty much like the UK Skins with most scenes/story lines. Felt like all of the characters were kind of forced along with alot of the lines. Don't know just really can't take it seriously. Doesn't help the fact I quite enjoyed the skins series they are taking it from, so all of the characters just don't sit right with me now they've ''changed''

darthYENIK
Yeah, the walking dead really seems more like a summer show.  It always looks so damn hot in Georgia.

I just watched the first episode of Shameless, on Showtime.  I was impressed.  William H. Macy looks like a shoo-in for an Emmy.

Wow, they actually made an American remake of Shameless? I'm gonna have to check that out...

And yeah, William H. Macy is an amazing actor, I'm interested in seeing his interpretation of Frank Gallagher.

I've been going around the internet trying to find feedback, but all I read is UK fans utterly pissed off, calling the US version sh*t, and not stating any reasons, which makes me believe it's all from people that haven't watched the US version. I haven't seen the UK version, but I think the US version is great. The acting is nearly all around stellar, with the exception of Justin Chatwin, who is just not that great an actor, although he is passable.

As for Skins. I tried to watch an episode of the UK version, but felt that it was more targeted toward teens and dirty old men.

Wait, what? First Shameless and now Skins? I assumed you were talking about the original series' of Skins because I didn't know there were any remakes. I don't understand why you guys have to remake all of the big-hitter UK series rather than just rebroadcasting them. I can understand that certain things need a big overhaul due to the cultural gap, which can result in a lot of loss in certain situations e.g. Shameless, but a lot of shows don't have that. I was never a big fan of Skins and didn't watch more than a few episodes, it seemed to try too hard to romanticise teenage life. Give me The Inbetweeners instead. That said, it's all about drama and interaction between the kids, something which should translate pretty well, considering the context isn't actually too important. Case in point: the amount of US shows that come over here and translate fine unaltered.

I can also understand doing it to put a big, different, spin on the concept too, once again I imagine this has happened with Shameless. But from this review of MTV Skins that I looked up, it seems that the first episode is largely, shot-for-shot, the same as the UK. Apart from, that is, the recasting of the gay lad to a lesbian lass. Is there any real reason for this that I've missed?

Anyway, rant over, I just picked up seasons 1-3 of Mad Men after hearing all over the radio, TV and even from lecturers that it's amazing. Hope to get it started soon.

Edited by Robinski
Don Garcia
Apart from, that is, the recasting of the gay lad to a lesbian lass. Is there any real reason for this that I've missed?

It's hawter.

Surely you've read about my love for Mad Men around here at some point? It's great drama.

Apart from, that is, the recasting of the gay lad to a lesbian lass. Is there any real reason for this that I've missed?

It's hawter.

Surely you've read about my love for Mad Men around here at some point? It's great drama.

Eh, I guess so. Yay for double standards! It's just weird, I could understand (but not necessarily agree with) removing a gay character due to a lot of religious/plain prejudiced sentiment against it, but to replace a gay guy with a lesbian just seems a bit odd. Especially so when you consider that one of the main points of Maxie was that he was still "one of the lads".

Oh and yeah I really should have included the internet as a source for hearing about Mad Men, this place among others.

Anyway, rant over, I just picked up seasons 1-3 of Mad Men after hearing all over the radio, TV and even from lecturers that it's amazing. Hope to get it started soon.

Just started watching that myself, very, very good so far I think.

Reporting back on Mad Men. Managed to watch the first four episodes today, thanks to being a student and having Thursdays off. There's something about it that I can't put my finger on. It's a great show so far, but I couldn't tell you why exactly. Nothing actually happens, yet it's still compelling despite there actually being maybe more than one plot point per episode. None of the characters are actually that likeable either, I mean this in the best way possible. They're all flawed in some pretty big way that makes them bad people: Don Cheats on his wife, Peggy will bow into pressure to sleep with Pete, Betty can just be a bit mental, and the list goes on. Conversely, this makes them seem pretty human, even the suave and confident Don ain't perfect.

The atmosphere's brilliant too, from the styling of the programme to all the attitudes and bigotry casually thrown about.

I'll probably be through to the end of season three pretty soon.

@ Robinski: I know what you mean; there's no overarching storyline linking things together, each episode throws up a new challenge for Sterling-Cooper with their clients and that's about as close as we come to a continuing theme. I think the Nixon-Kennedy elections will be important too. What's more interesting for me is the development of the characters; Don facing the demons of his past, Betty her own psychological issues etc. My favourite character is Pete if I'm honest. His problems asserting himself as a man of Madison Avenue when he has no respect from his parents, wife or employer has made for interesting viewing. His progression in the first eight or so episodes I have watched has been enthralling. I love the faux-dignified/assertive voice he puts on; I don't know if that's intentional from the actor but even if it isn't it suits the character.

Favourite episode so far has been episode 7, 'Red in the Face'. Don's revenge on Roger was awesome and Pete's character was developed further in interesting ways. The scene where he was being shouted at by his wife over the gun was hilarious. Poor Pete.

Don Garcia

It's all about Don and his past, and how it's f*cking up his present and future.

Don is the overarching storyline.

I think it was the Dick bit that got me interested in the show in the first place. Before that, I was thinking along the lines "Sure the costumes are cool, but what else is there to it?" I had to try pretty hard just to like the show, especially considering all the positive response the show's been getting. It didn't "click" with me instantly, and still to this day it hasn't "clicked". I like it, but I don't love it.

What's up with the swearing, by the way? There's like one "sh*t" per episode and that's it.

Don Garcia

Recently they started using the F word, but it's censored. The audio is turned off, so it kinda sounds like air being let out of a tire for a split second. Wierd.

Just dropping in here to see if there are any fans of "Friends or "Scrubs" in here?

I think Scrubs is one of the dumbest shows on television. The actors aren't bad, but the jokes are so bad that I'm almost offended by it.

When I was younger I'd watch Friends from time to time, ain't gonna lie. But when I turned 15 I kinda grew out of it.

anybody watch "2 & A Half Men".? (Two And A Half Men) the show is [email protected]' funny.!!.

wow.gif I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and guess that you are...11 years old? Am I right?!

Edited by TheCacti
Yokelsson

Just dropping in here to see if there are any fans of "Friends or "Scrubs" in here?

"Friends" is my favorite sitcom. "Scrubs" is fun but I don't watch it regularly. For some reason I never catch it on TV.

I caught a few episodes of Terriers out of the blue one day. Was a pretty good show - shame they canceled it, because that killed any remaining interest I had left for it.

Blame it on the marketing. Or lack thereof.

Vanilla Shake

Scrubs is one of my all time favorite shows (before they started focusing on the med-school bullsh*t and dropped most of the series' main cast). Which reminds me, I'm missing seasons seven and eight on DVD.

Don Garcia

I caught an episode or two of Terriers out of sheer interest in its Shield connection, but I thought it was a real snooze fest. I like Donal Logue, but the premise of the show was just too bland for me. A glacial comedic P.I. series. I totally understood why it got cancelled.

I DVR'd the first two, forgot to do the third like an idiot, of the new FX show Lights Out. Anybody see it yet? I've been putting off watching it for reasons I don't know. Maybe today I'll check 'em out. The promo looked like great boxing meets crime drama.

Didn't Louis C.K. have a show premièring on fx??? He's a funny dude, I don't see why it would have gotten the boot.

Don Garcia

"Louie" is a hilarious show. Loved it, and it's getting a second season.

It's Curb Your Enthusiasm for the basic cable audience. So, no F-bombs. But all the other words are used merrily.