2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

TV series general chat

Anyone been watching 10 O'Clock Live on Channel 4 lately? It's pretty good, David Mitchell and Charlie Brooker are my favourite presenters. Jimmy Carr's pretty good too, I usually find him a bit hit-and-miss elsewhere. Lauren Laverne isn't too funny mind, although kinda hot. I've also just watched some Pete vs. Life on 4OD, great comedy - shame they've only made 5 episodes so far, but apparently a second season has been commissioned.

The finale of Californication was great. The dinner party scene was f*cking hilarious.

I liked the sequence with the Stones in the background. Not sold on the rest.

Anyone been watching 10 O'Clock Live on Channel 4 lately? It's pretty good, David Mitchell and Charlie Brooker are my favourite presenters. Jimmy Carr's pretty good too, I usually find him a bit hit-and-miss elsewhere. Lauren Laverne isn't too funny mind, although kinda hot. I've also just watched some Pete vs. Life on 4OD, great comedy - shame they've only made 5 episodes so far, but apparently a second season has been commissioned.

Yeah it's one of the few programmes I make a point to sit and watch if I'm in (the only other one is Brian Cox's show, really). It's improved beyond measure from the first show; it was full of good ideas badly executed to start and they've kind of ironed out the execution. It's not quite as hard hitting as I hoped it would be, but it is funnier so I guess that balances out. Of course, Brooker and Mitchell are my favourites, probably due to me loving most of their other stuff anyway. Lauren Laverne's only there to fill the presenter role and keep the others under control, she's the straight man essentially.

I reckon Jimmy Carr's the weak link in the whole thing, which is a shame 'cos I really like everything else he's done. But those characters, Jesus, some of them are so forced and just unfunny.

Agreed. He needs to go back to making sick, clever jokes. It's what he's best at.

I read Charlie Brooker's articles every week, casually read some of his older stuff in his books. Really funny (miserable) guy.

The way I see it, David is the brains, Jimmy has the razor wit, Charlie is the cynic and Lauren is the beauty (although "straight man" is essentially her job on there) tounge.gif They make a good team, they just need to stop trying so hard and maybe, just maybe, they might be able to compete with Jon Stewart one day.

(Also, I'm still massively pissed off that they cancelled The Daily Show on More4. It was f*cking brilliant; only way I can see it now is through torrents because their website doesn't show streams in the UK. I always feel bad for stealing shows of that quality...)

Edited by SIKKS66

Stealing? Come on. It's the same as watching a show without a Nielsen box (or whatever your local census thing is called). It's not like you would even watch the commercials if you had a box anyway.

Watched the first ep of Bored to Death today, really enjoyed it, can see it becoming really good.

I remember that show, it was insanely funny. Zack does a good job of that 'pathetic loveable guy' role in almost every show tounge.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone watch how i met your mother? I really love how the show is more emotional than most other comedies, so you actually feel for the characters a little.

A refreshing comedy for sure, i love the gags where crazy things happen, like when they throw a pencil in the roof, and it comes back down and bounces of the table into barneys nose, hahaha.

I tried watching How I Met Your Mother one time but just couldn't get into it. To me it felt as though the characters really had no depth nor did the story, just a bunch of little cheap laughs and quirky dialogue.

I don't really watch much TV, but I loved It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia when it first aired. I actually made an effort to catch new episodes during the first two seasons, which were absolutely hysterical in my opinion. The third season was still good, but you could feel the plots and overall writing of the show was beginning to change, and change for the worse.

After season 3 I think the show pretty much sucked. All the characters just seemed to go off the deep end of stupidity and never came back. I still watch episodes from the first two seasons every now and then to remind me of how good the show once was.

Algonquin Assassin

Lately I've been hooked on The Big Bang Theory. Man I absolutely love it.

I season 4 of Chuck over? I thought it was supposed to have more episodes but I haven't seen a new episode for 2 weeks.

Belay that. I Goggled it. Next episode will be aired on April 11th.

Edited by GTAvanja
TommyMufc-Champs

The first season of Boardwalk Empire has just finished In the UK. I do hope they do a season two; I did read somewhere that a season two has been confirmed.

The first season of Boardwalk Empire has just finished In the UK. I do hope they do a season two; I did read somewhere that a season two has been confirmed.

I believe it has; read some news lately about more actors signing up for real life mafioso. Bugsy Siegel was one of them I believe. Still have the last episode to watch myself.

Buscemi, Macdonald and Shannon must be a good shout for an Emmy this year. Brian Cranston won't be up for Best Actor so it might well be a slugfest between Don Draper and Nucky Thompson for the gong lol. Shannon has been intense in Boardwalk Empire, he definitely deserves some recognition for his work.

First I have to wait over a year for Breaking Bad to return and now I have to wait over a year for Mad Men to come back, and as a result my dream of watching BB and MM as they air simultaneously is crushed. This is just, madness.

TommyMufc-Champs

I believe it has; read some news lately about more actors signing up for real life mafioso. Bugsy Siegel was one of them I believe. Still have the last episode to watch myself.

Buscemi, Macdonald and Shannon must be a good shout for an Emmy this year. Brian Cranston won't be up for Best Actor so it might well be a slugfest between Don Draper and Nucky Thompson for the gong lol. Shannon has been intense in Boardwalk Empire, he definitely deserves some recognition for his work.

For sure man icon14.gif Buscemi and Shannon stood out for me. That Is a hard one.

I feel your pain Don, AMC is just f*cking with our fix now. On the plus side, I've got time to catch up on Breaking Bad, I guess.

Yeah, Dexter is great, beware of the 5th season.

For the past couple weeks, I've been trying my hardest to get through the last season of the X-files. There's no Mulder, little to no Scully, and not that Doggett and Reyes are bad, but they're just no substitute for some good Mulder action, and a skeptical Scully. It also feels like they just gave up on the "monster of the week" episodes in terms of making them more procedural mysteries, and even the goofy episodes that were shown in season 5, 6 and 7.

Yeah Yenik, the final season was a bit hard to swallow compared to the earlier action, but it wraps the story arch nicely, so I figure it's worth it. Sort of.

I found Dexter to be very cheesy. I saw most of the first season and tried to like it, but the characters really started to get on my nerves (Dexter's sister), and found the situations less and less plausible then totally lost interest altogether.

I caught a few episodes of Boardwalk Empire last autumn and it is quality.

I'm currently half way through season 2 of Breaking Bad. This sh*t is intense, I f*cking love it! Bryan Cranston is SUCH a good actor.

Also, If you haven't watched The Life of Times of Tim, you need to because it is fantastically dry and superb.

who watches Happy days Currently

i started watching it weeks ago i gotta say i got addicted to it

Don't think anyone's ever heard of that show. Sounds like one of those shows that would never have a culture impact on society well after half a century and then some, personally.

I tried watching How I Met Your Mother one time but just couldn't get into it. To me it felt as though the characters really had no depth nor did the story, just a bunch of little cheap laughs and quirky dialogue.

I really liked the first 4 seasons and could still watch them over and over again. It kinda went downhill from season 5. The first few episodes were alright (The Playbook was awesome) but towards the end, the episodes were thoroughly disappointing. It felt as if the writers are just dragging the story so they could have more seasons. I still follow the show. I just have to know who the mother is! The current season has been alright so far. Nothing exceptional, but better than the previous season.

Lately I've been hooked on The Big Bang Theory. Man I absolutely love it.

Absolutely loved the first 3 seasons. But I'm not finding the 4th season up to the mark, though. Barring a few episodes, it's somehow not as funny as it used to be. The earlier seasons were all about the nerdy-ness of the characters and that's what worked so well for the show.

Don't think anyone's ever heard of that show. Sounds like one of those shows that would never have a culture impact on society well after half a century and then some, personally.

i hope your being sarcastic because that is one of the most famous sitcoms from the 70's.

I'm currently half way through season 2 of Breaking Bad. This sh*t is intense, I f*cking love it! Bryan Cranston is SUCH a good actor.

Also, If you haven't watched The Life of Times of Tim, you need to because it is fantastically dry and superb.

That show is hilarious. Just watched all the episodes a couple weeks ago.

Just started watching "The League". Figured it was gonna be a gay show about fantasy football, but it's really funny and the fantasy football aspect is done really well.

Also, Party Down is a really funny show I started watching as well. It's on netflix instant watch too.