2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

jelly

TV series general chat

YouSitTightBuddy

I just finished watching Ozark on Netflix.

Not a bad show honestly. While there are indeed similarities to Breaking Bad I think Ozark's setting and the character development are on a different level compared to the former, and relies on much more different themes. It takes risks, and most of them eventually pay off and we often get to see different sides of the characters in the show, whether in their public or private lives. Cinematography is gorgeous. My only qualm is the inconsistency of the protagonist's family relationships.

I'd give it an 8.5. out of 10.

Vigilante88

So HBO's Watchmen has the working title of Brooklyn and the character breakdowns have people confused. Based on everything they said about the show so far, it has me thinking I'm not gonna like it. Which sucks, because I like the Watchmen characters a lot.

GTA-Biker
Posted (edited)

I just rewatched Primeval in the past few weeks.I remember watching that show back when I was a teen,and I really liked it,especially the first three seasons,but the fourth and fifth season weren't bad either.Too bad it got cancelled after season 5,especially since it had a cliffhanger at the end.I'm thinking about watching its spin off show Primeval New World,but I've heard from many people that it's not as good as the original.

Edited by GTA-Biker

Mexicola9302

Luke Cage Season 2 Release is tomorrow, watchable on Netflix.

I like the Netflix Marvel Shows, much better than all the DC Shows IMO.

AiraCobra

Is The Americans a good series to get into?

darthYENIK

I finally watched the last few episodes of Netflix’s Lost in Space.  Overall it wasn’t bad.  Brings the feel of the original tv show with modern story telling and drama.  Can’t wait to see where they go from here.

On 6/30/2018 at 5:08 PM, AiraCobra said:

Is The Americans a good series to get into?

I haven’t seen the last few seasons, but it was pretty good from what I’ve seen.

ilovebender.com

I binged watched Fresh Off The Boat on Putlocker, I've got to get a job.

Before that, weeks ago, binge watched again; Stan Against Evil.

I have a problem.

gagemb9918

Just saw the “Hellen Potts” episode of Last Man Standing and was impressed by the Home Improvement references... but is that considered a fourth wall break?

Mister Pinkerton
On 3/29/2018 at 1:26 PM, YouSitTightBuddy said:

I just finished watching Ozark on Netflix.

Not a bad show honestly. While there are indeed similarities to Breaking Bad I think Ozark's setting and the character development are on a different level compared to the former, and relies on much more different themes. It takes risks, and most of them eventually pay off and we often get to see different sides of the characters in the show, whether in their public or private lives. Cinematography is gorgeous. My only qualm is the inconsistency of the protagonist's family relationships.

I'd give it an 8.5. out of 10.

My thoughts exactly. I'm sick of hearing it being compared to Breaking Bad, as you said, the character development is on a different level to BB. I just love Ruth and her development. It's subtle sometimes but very interesting. I think her character is the best character I've seen on TV since Omar in The Wire. 

This show is very underrated and I rarely binge-watch as I like to enjoy shows for longer but I binged out on this. 

Can't wait for season 2. 

Hmmm nice bike
Posted (edited)

I know this isn't usually the kind of show people probably talk about on here, but f*ck it, it's still a TV series. Gordon Ramsay's 24 Hours to Hell and Back is on Fox right now, and this show is terrible. And I f*cking love Gordon Ramsay shows, but this one does not do it for me. While the US version of Kitchen Nightmares definitely had its moments that had to be scripted or pushed along by the producers (which is why I prefer the UK version by a longshot, it's unscripted and feels a lot more real, and less aggravating editing), this whole thing feels like it's scripted from start to finish. Gordon sounds bored in this, too. Even his "f*ck"s sound forced.

The show itself is basically Kitchen Nightmares except he starts off going "undercover" in a terrible disguise, and then upon his great reveal to the restaurant owners and patrons, he summons the restaurants entire staff and all its customers outside to watch their failures in the restaurant business that were all caught on a "hidden camera." And then he gives himself an unnecessary 24-hour deadline to fix sh*t and change the staff's attitudes, because I guess some executive figured that would make for a more exciting show?

I know that's pretty much how reality TV is most of the time, but considering how Gordon Ramsay is involved, it's just disappointing. Even the US Kitchen Nightmares wasn't as bad as this. They should have just brought back Kitchen Nightmares, or maybe Gordon should have just stuck to Masterchef.

Edited by Hmmm nice bike

darthYENIK

I just started watching Attack on Titan.

So let me get this straight.  You cut a titan, just enough, in the back of his neck, and it dies, but if you blow it’s head off, it’s head will just regenerate?  Okay, I’m all for not letting logic get in the way of a good story.

Also, I bet there’s someone out there, an American, probably a 14-30 year old male, who knows the japanese lyrics to the Attack on Titans theme song without knowing Japanese.

Mister Pinkerton
Posted (edited)

Just finished Mindhunter. What a show. 

Mindhunter is about an FBI agent and his colleague of the behavioural science unit and how they first develop criminal profiling pertaining to serial killers or sequence killers as they used to be called. You see depictions of real serial killers such as Edmund Kemper. It's really fascinating if you like stuff based on true stories, psychology, if you have a curiosity for the mind of serial killers. 

The format is kind of old-school because it may feature a killer per episode and each episode takes them to a new killer or town and they engage with the local law enforcement and then try help solve the more troubling cases where motive is hard established. There is an overarching story and it is a season-long story but each episode is kind of self-contained. So it's kind of old skool in that respect. 

Not convinced? David Fincher directs about 6 episodes and he is executive producer. It also has 96% critic's rating on Rotten Tomatoes. 

Edited by Mister Pink

feckyerlife

This is the best New Drama on TV in a few years

River God

Bamboo Blade is a fun anime series.

darthYENIK

I’ve been rewatching Monty Python’s Flying Circus.  Genius comedy is timeless.  What is it? 50 years old and still hilarious.  How much comedy from 50 years ago is still funny to a modern audience?

mr quick
On 10/19/2018 at 8:13 AM, darthYENIK said:

I’ve been rewatching Monty Python’s Flying Circus.  Genius comedy is timeless.  What is it? 50 years old and still hilarious.  How much comedy from 50 years ago is still funny to a modern audience?

It's so fun that circus is finally on netflix. I think that my most vivid memory of television from when I was a kid, is watching it with my dad and him turning red, crying laughing. He likes to laugh and chuckles a lot, but monty python really made him lose his sh*t. I didn't get all of it then since I was a kid, but I could appreciate the deeply absurd and ironic skits like the science fiction one with the extraterrestrial fromage that turned brits into scotsmen in order to win at tennis. It must be at least a decade since I saw that one though, so forgive me if my details are wrong 😛 

edit: it was blancmange, not fromage. 

Edited by mr quick

Andrest

Ozrak was mentioned earlier and I'd say that it's even better than Braking Bad in some aspects. I really loved the series.