3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Wireless Card Suggestions?

Ronnyboy

I have a new computer build with Ubuntu, but my wireless card is crap. I get 50% connection strength and usually drops. My modem is upstairs (I'm in the far corner of the basement), it's DSL, and I need it to have a non-dropping signal and be able to work out of the box. I don't care if it's PCI, USB, what ever, as long as it works with Ubuntu. Any suggestions?

Try moving the router or getting/making a directional antenna to point it toward where the computer is at or getting a wifi repeater/extender.

If you got a low signal even when on the same floor, or more extreme in the same room, with your current wifi card then ok a new one is needed. But you're talking about having the router on one floor and you're in the basement

Try moving the router or getting/making a directional antenna to point it toward where the computer is at or getting a wifi repeater/extender.

If you got a low signal even when on the same floor, or more extreme in the same room, with your current wifi card then ok a new one is needed. But you're talking about having the router on one floor and you're in the basement

It's actually a wireless modem, forgot to mention that. And I tried putting it right next to the Modem, with no one else using it. Still only got maybe 75% signal. Thing is crap.

Ok well it can still be moved around. Now before you just jump into getting a new card I would do one more thing. Too bad it's not a laptop, at least I'm assuming it's not since you're asking about a PCI card, I would take it someone else's house and see what kind of signal you get there. As it is I would try to find a friend with a laptop and usually gets great signal and see what they get on your house right next to the modem.

The idea is to now see if the problem is with the card or the modem. There might be some settings you can do in the modem to help increase the signal strength. If it is the modem I would contact your ISP and let them know of the issue, just be sure to do it after you get another wifi device that normally gets good signal and I'll explain why, and maybe they can help if need be ask to speak to tier2 tech support. They might have to end up giving you a new modem.

The reason why to test it with another wifi device (laptop) is because they will first try to blame your PC and wifi card as being the problem and get you to do things that are generally a waste of time, because God forbid the that the issue be their fault. I've had Comcast try to get me to restart my PC and router because I lost internet connection and the problem was the cable was out in my neighborhood and it was a weekday in the middle of the day and I was the first person to report it. So yeah it's my equipment's fault even though the TV was out as well, although when it first went out I didn't know the TV was out since it wasn't on when it happened, and it took 10-20mins before it was "officially" down in my area. Point being they blame you before they blame themselves.

I used to own a laptop, and it ran great downstairs. I usually got around 300-400kbs downstairs, now with this card it won't even connect. It's really a pain in the ass, cause it always worked down here. Even my dad's old laptop worked great down here.

Oh ok so you don't have a laptop in the house you can use. In which case I have to ask how well does dad's laptop work when it's right next to the modem? And from there go back to what I was saying before; it's it's good next to it and maybe in the rest of the house then there is something different between now and then when it worked well down there.

I'm not trying to say that your card is bad or good, I'm just trying to test things to see where the problem really is. Like I said it could be a simple tweak of the modem's wifi settings can get your signal back up which would be a hell of a lot cheaper than paying a new wifi card and finding out it's no better than what you already had.

Oh ok so you don't have a laptop in the house you can use. In which case I have to ask how well does dad's laptop work when it's right next to the modem? And from there go back to what I was saying before; it's it's good next to it and maybe in the rest of the house then there is something different between now and then when it worked well down there.

I'm not trying to say that your card is bad or good, I'm just trying to test things to see where the problem really is. Like I said it could be a simple tweak of the modem's wifi settings can get your signal back up which would be a hell of a lot cheaper than paying a new wifi card and finding out it's no better than what you already had.

My Dad's laptop runs fine, and his office (table) is about two feet away from the modem. He's had great signal strength from the time before I've had my laptop, till now. The modem isn't the problem, I found out my card has some BAD reviews on Newegg.

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833166021