3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Runey

2010 FIFA World Cup

flitcroft101

Spain played so much f*cking better, it's too bad they couldn't finish untill that last attempt.

Marco.

So who's going to get golden boot? I think Muller because he had 3 assists when they showed the table.

Rick88
Did you guys see that chest kick the netherlands dude connected to spain's alfonso?

dirty ass motherf*ckers, so many yellow cards. good for spain!

I'm surprised only one of Holland players got sent off.

Good game by Spain, by far the most solid team in the World Cup.

JOSEPH X

Forlan has won trhe Golden Ball.

X-trem-E
Netherlands..

I officially hate my life.

IDEM.

Well, Netherlands played the game so scared.

I shocked so much with the super kick biggrin.gif

AndyGanteks
user posted image

Hodgey.

Best team of the tournament won it. Congrats Spain.

SIKKS66

Forlan has won trhe Golden Ball.

biggrin.gif I think my love for that guy is now famous/annoying in this thread. Glad he got it. As individual performances go, Forlan has been epic this summer.

Glad Spain won the World Cup tbh. This crop of players are living legends in my eyes as I sadly discovered when the bulk of them destroyed United at club level 2 years ago.

Beautiful football prevailed tonight.

Little William

Geez, Paul, haven't put a foot (or tentacle) wrong. He is really a freak. Congrats for Spain!

Marco.

They just said on Sky news that Muller gets the golden boot, congratulations icon14.gif

He had two more assists than the next guy.

LCSurvivor

Damn, why did we play this bad? How many yellow cards was that? Feckin' 11.

EDIT: Feckin' 14, my bad. mercie_blink.gif

Also, congrats to Spain, you've earned it fair and square.

Edited by LCSurvivor

TargetTango

user posted image

Should of been a red card.

Canoxa

Congratulations to Spain. They really grew along the tournament.

Ari Gold

Silly octopus proved me wrong. tounge.gif

The deserved side won today. Typical final game (read: generally defensive and bland) but both Casillas and Stekelenburg kept the game alive for both sides, and even though he ended up conceding, props to Stekelenburg for withstanding the Spanish threat for most of the game. Spain dominated the first-half and were definitely more likely to penetrate, yet the Dutch managed to lift their game in the second-half. Extra-time was relatively even, but in the end the Spanish made the most of their chances.

Just shows how the perfect combination of skill, flair, possession and control will always be better than sturdy, defensive counter-attacking play. It's how they beat Germany and now they've gone and done the same to the Dutch, and they have to be congratulated for it. The most deserved winners since Brazil in '02.

¡Viva España!

LanceVanceDance07

Never doubt the octopus...

It was a good game, the better side won, though I quite liked Holland's tactics of roughing up the Spanish, even if it resulted in a sh*tload of yellow cards.

Iniesta pretty much engraved himself in World Cup Final folklore. I would love to know what was going through his head the moment before he struck the ball into the net.

Canoxa

He probably thought a "what the hell, it's worth the shot". I mean, Fabregas is more offensive-mannered, not to mention he isn't part of the Barcelona axis. With his redeployment to the left, he actually found himself in front of goal often. As often as Villa, and way more often than the striker who occupied Villa's position. Poor Torres had a bad world cup. However, he tried to dribble at least three times by my counting instead of finishing. He actually slowed down for team mates, having to face dutch defenders as well. If he wasn't face to face, he would have probably try to dance around and score an assist.

Seddo

A part from the mistake which should of been a corner and not a goal kick i didn't think Webb done to bad. It was a hard game for him really so many hard tackles that deserved bookings but you could see he was trying not to spoil the final with red cards but in the end he had no choice. If that was a South American ref or another European ref we could of easily seen both teams down to 9 men. De Jong's karate kick on Alonso looked nasty.

Both teams had like 2 excellent 1 on 1 opportunities that they really both should of buried. That Robben run with Puyol on his arse just shows why players go down easy, Robben could have gone down and got Puyol sent off but because he stayed on his feet and fluffed his chance then Puyol gets away with it.

lol at Spains 1-0, 1-0, 1-0, 1-0 all the way through the KO stages.

Dutchy3010

I do think Webb was good. Why not? If you give a yellow card to a Dutch player, and some players of Spain make the same foul, they have to get a yellow card too. That was really unfair: Spain could do way way more.

But like I said to someone last night, it's actually their own foult. If you make a hard tackle in the first minute, and then make 2 more tackles within 5 minutes, it's only logical that the ref thinks "what is going on here?!?!?!".

It's true that de Jong should have a red card, that foul made me sick. But also Iniesta should have got a red card, and Puyol too.

I'm still a bit embarrassed. Holland was always a fair team, which played nice football. This tournament, it's all about result, and they played too hard. Spain deserved to win.

Holland is a very small country with 16 million people. Become second in a wc, is still very good.

uNi

It gets the job done though.

Der_Don

Well done Spain!

World Cup Winner: Spain

Winner Golden Ball: Diego Forlan

Winner Golden Boot: Thomas Müller

Best Youngster: Thomas Müller

See you in four years in Brazil. But don't forget the next big tournament is in 2012 in Poland and Ukraine.

South Africa did a great job hosting this World Cup. Im very impressed.

GTAdedan

So damn close, Holland was so unlucky. I'm not saying that Holland did not make a lot of fouls, but quite a lot of them were not worth a yellow card. And I must say that a lot of fouls from the Spanish were just ignored by the refs. Then there was that extremely obvious corner for Holland just a few minutes before the goal and the refs didn't give the corner. The game would've ended a lot different I think if that corner was given.

Spain played better, I expected more intensity from the Dutch because I know the team really wanted to win but they just did not show it. I'm really dissapointed but oh well, better next time.

Congratulations to Spain icon14.gif

PS: what was up with the forums, it was down all the time?

Doc Rikowski
And I must say that a lot of fouls from the Spanish were just ignored by the refs. Then there was that extremely obvious corner for Holland just a few minutes before the goal and the refs didn't give the corner. The game would've ended a lot different I think if that corner was given.

You know there's an explanation for that: click the link and see where's the chairman from. wink.gif

Not a coincidence...

BUT

Holland should have closed the match with Robben. Those mistakes you pay in football.

I'm glad Iniesta scored though. Humble person, great player.

TommyMufc-Champs

Well done to Spain but I feel sorry for Holland, that Is three finals they have lost.

Robinski

I was devastated with the outcome, not so much because I had anything riding on the Netherlands winning but because I was literally the only person in a packed pub with a Holland top on. That's not to say I was the only one who wanted them to win, but when a bunch of dirty English neutrals see a winner they'll say they backed them all along.

I did get a good haul of free stuff though; the pub was given loads of free Budweiser stuff for showing the world cup/promoting the beer. They gave away free holdalls, t-shirts and bottle openers.

user posted image

(controller for scale, not pictured: 8 inch steel bottle opener)

Didn't manage to snag a t shirt to stop the verbal torrent I received though.

gta 4 gamer

Oh, and I'm not Uruguayan.

Maybe you aren't but you are talking out of your arse nonetheless.

First time I have ever heard anyone accused of play acting when it is clearly visible that he was stamped on.

Mate, I'm not accusing Robben to be a play actor during the incident with Melo. There were many times during the game Robben versus Brazil were he dived and started to over-exaggerate his injury when there was no clear contact.(Dive + exaggerating theatrics=cheats in my opinion.) This was especially shown when he went against Bastos, who was previously booked in that match. Maybe tried to convince the referee to give him a red card? Who knows.

I, however, can't say Robben play acted against Melo and he deserved a red card. Something that was weird though in the incident. Didn't you see Robben stand up 5-10 seconds after he was stomped by Melo. Nontheless, deserved red card. Stopmps are not allowed and the referee acted accordingly.(Don't quote me on the 5-10 seconds revival by Robben not sure. Watch a video of the Melo stomp.)

But Robben didn't play act as much as I expected him to against Uruguay. icon14.gif

So the World Cup ended. And as some of you know, I accused most of the Dutch players to be cheats during the semi-finals especially Bommel and Robben. And there you go. Now I can laugh at all of your faces. This final was dominated by Karate-Kid Nigel De Bong, more theatrics by the actress Robben and the douchebagery of Van Bommel. Remember when Bommel, instead of passing it to Casillas, he passed it to the throw in next to the corner for Spain? What a bitch. Then he gets yelled at by the magnificent Xavi Hernandez. icon14.gif Also, when De Bong threw the kick, he started gloating and having a go at Xabi Alonso when he stood up after the treatment guys came to help him. What an asshole.

Anyways, thank God Spain has won the final. At the end, football has won the day and not cheating.

Edited by gta 4 gamer

!!GC!!
This final was dominated by Karate-Kid Nigel De Bong

It was a pretty good kick though.

Very funny, too.

mrpain

Damn, just dammit Holland!

I was so sure they were going to money that I betted big on them. Great just great. Now the angry mob of people who I told them they were going to win are going to hunt me down. May I survive the attack...

Dutchy3010

Lol, Spain just gets a boring bus trip, the Dutch players are getting a bus trip, a heli trip and boat trip! Amsterdam had gone wild, even though it's only second place. First they went to see the Prime Minister and the Queen, then they had a trip with a helicopter from the army (to Amsterdam). In Amsterdam, there were hundreds of small boats around the boat, now they are going through the canals. Later on they will go to a square. There are between 750.000 and 1 million people to see the Dutch players. Keep in mind that there are only 16 million people in Holland! So it's a big party here, even though we lost the final.

12,3 million people watched Uruguay - Holland. Holland should at least get the cup for best supporters. tounge.gif

nerner
So the World Cup ended. And as some of you know, I accused most of the Dutch players to be cheats during the semi-finals especially Bommel and Robben. And there you go. Now I can laugh at all of your faces. This final was dominated by Karate-Kid Nigel De Bong, more theatrics by the actress Robben and the douchebagery of Van Bommel. Remember when Bommel, instead of passing it to Casillas, he passed it to the throw in next to the corner for Spain? What a bitch. Then he gets yelled at by the magnificent Xavi Hernandez. icon14.gif Also, when De Bong threw the kick, he started gloating and having a go at Xabi Alonso when he stood up after the treatment guys came to help him. What an asshole.

Anyways, thank God Spain has won the final. At the end, football has won the day and not cheating.

Oh spare me. What about the cheating Spaniards? Never mind.

Dutchy3010

I agree, Nerner. The biggest difference between the behaviour of the Dutch players and the Spanish players, is that the Spanish players did it very sneaky (except, of course, that foul of de Jong, which was way out of line).

The ref didn't give a yellow card to a Spanish player for making the same foul as a Dutch player (probably because it wasn't that obvious that it was the same foul --> sneaky). Spain should have got 2 red cards too: one for Puyol and one for Iniesta.

Robben a diver? Perhaps he was, when he played for Chelsea. Now he isn't. He even didn't fall when Puyol made that foul. He should have! Then it was 10 players of Spain instead of 10 players of the Netherlands.

Don't get me wrong, I really don't approve the way the match was played, but it really makes me angry when people say that the Dutch players were beasts and the Spanish players weren't. That's just a conclusion based on number of yellow cards.

For the Dutch people, the best part of the tribute: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldm5qx91UyM. Great! It's were the players and supporters sing together (and where Armin v. Buuren begins).