3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Runey

2010 FIFA World Cup

nerner
I would agree that Lampard is better than Torres. However I do think Terry is overrated and more prone to mistakes than Ledley King. It is between him and Ferdinand for a place in my world cup team, and of course since Ferdinand is the captain and all that, Tery would suffer.

LanceVanceDance07

Essien ruled out of the World Cup

Massive loss for Ghana. Essien can't recover from his knee injury in time, not good at all.

TommyMufc-Champs

Barry is fit for World Cup.

Tchuck

Might want to update the first post with the CONMEBOL nations too.. You know, those unimportant nations like Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay...

Runey
Might want to update the first post with the CONMEBOL nations too.. You know, those unimportant nations like Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay...

I had them on there, must have accidentally deleted them when I put all the stuff in tables.

I'll re-add them. blush.gif

nerner

Well that was a stupid thing to say...

TommyMufc-Champs

Yeah Capello is quite confident. Sorry some one told me he is defintley fit.

Seddo

Both Mexico and Japan seemed to slice though our midfield pretty easily, i think Barry would be the favoured player for a holding position, so i hope he is able to make it to the World Cup.

Can't seem to get a decent striker pairing going at the minute.

TommyMufc-Champs

Both Mexico and Japan seemed to slice though our midfield pretty easily, i think Barry would be the favoured player for a holding position, so i hope he is able to make it to the World Cup.

Can't seem to get a decent striker pairing going at the minute.

I think Barry is a brilliant holding midfielder, we need him for the World Cup.

JoeyLeone25

So the 23-man England squad expected to potentially win the World Cup has finally been announced after seven hours of pathetic handling:

GK: Green, Hart, James

DF: Ferdinand, Terry, Cole, Carragher, King, Upson, Warnock, Johnson

MF: Gerrard, Lampard, Wright-Phillips, Lennon, Milner, Barry, Carrick, Cole

ST: Rooney, Defoe, Heskey, Crouch

I love it how 24 goal Darren Bent is left out for six (?) goal Emile Heskey...

Also, no Adam Johnson? Italian mug.

Waddy

Im not too bothered about the inclusion of Heskey, in the qualifiers we scored loads of goals when he played. I think he partners well with Rooney.

I agree though that the way the FA have conducted themselves today has been proper piss poor, the press leaked the players by twitter at like 10 this morning. Then 2 of the players read statements out about them not being picked before the 4pm announcement by the FA. What a shower of sh*ts.

The one I am really pissed off about is carra still. No way should he even be in the 30 man squad, never mind the last 23.

Anyway...thats what we are getting, we have to live with it. Quarters at the vest best for us, no way we will go further.

Mand'alor

I'm quite puzzled as to why Capello has left out Dawson. He's been formidable all season in the Spurs defence. I also thought Adam Johnson would get in.

SIKKS66

I wish we had better cover at both fullback roles and SWP was a slightly surprising inclusion but I guess he offers something different to Walcott. Quite shocked at seeing Carrick there too because he hasn't been too good for England or United this year.

I'm interested now in finding out who'll be given the #1 shirt. I think Hart would be a pretty awesome and surprising choice because he's so damn vocal and imposes himself around the penalty area.

TommyMufc-Champs

I would rather have Parker than Carrick. I agree with SIKKS66, Carrick has done nothing for England and United this season.

SIKKS66

Italy 2010 World Cup squad

Goalkeepers: Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus), Morgan De Sanctis (Napoli), Federico Marchetti (Cagliari).

Defenders: Salvatore Bocchetti (Genoa), Leonardo Bonucci (Bari), Fabio Cannavaro (Juventus), Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus), Domenico Criscito (Genoa), Christian Maggio (Napoli), Gianluca Zambrotta (AC Milan).

Midfielders: Mauro Camoranesi (Juventus), Daniele De Rossi (AS Roma), Gennaro Gattuso (AC Milan), Claudio Marchisio (Juventus), Riccardo Montolivo (Fiorentina), Angelo Palombo (Sampdoria), Simone Pepe (Udinese), Andrea Pirlo (AC Milan).

Forwards: Antonio Di Natale (Udinese), Alberto Gilardino (Fiorentina), Vincenzo Iaquinta (Juventus), Giampaolo Pazzini (Sampdoria), Fabio Quagliarella (Napoli)

Old and a few weird selections (Gattuso? Really?) but damn does that squad look tough. Beatable but tough. After the season he's had I'm expecting Di Natale to have a good tournament.

Seddo

That's just a piss take on Bent, second highest English goalscorer in the league, you've have to be taking him over Heskey because Crouch can do Heskey's job and more.

TommyMufc-Champs

Goalkeepers: Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus), Morgan De Sanctis (Napoli), Federico Marchetti (Cagliari).

Defenders: Salvatore Bocchetti (Genoa), Leonardo Bonucci (Bari), Fabio Cannavaro (Juventus), Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus), Domenico Criscito (Genoa), Christian Maggio (Napoli), Gianluca Zambrotta (AC Milan).

Midfielders: Mauro Camoranesi (Juventus), Daniele De Rossi (AS Roma), Gennaro Gattuso (AC Milan), Claudio Marchisio (Juventus), Riccardo Montolivo (Fiorentina), Angelo Palombo (Sampdoria), Simone Pepe (Udinese), Andrea Pirlo (AC Milan).

Forwards: Antonio Di Natale (Udinese), Alberto Gilardino (Fiorentina), Vincenzo Iaquinta (Juventus), Giampaolo Pazzini (Sampdoria), Fabio Quagliarella (Napoli)

Old and a few weird selections (Gattuso? Really?) but damn does that squad look tough. Beatable but tough. After the season he's had I'm expecting Di Natale to have a good tournament.

No Del Piero? IMO they should of took him for experience, I mean Del Piero is class and some may say he is not that good anymore but I think they should of took him.

Canoxa

No Del Piero? IMO they should of took him for experience, I mean Del Piero is class and some may say he is not that good anymore but I think they should of took him.

Del Piero seems to be losing steam. I know, it sounds unbelievably wrong said out loud, but it seems to be it. Or maybe he's fallen out with Lippi, since his play time for Italy has been close to nil for quite a few time.

The friendly between Portugal and Cameroon was great, all four goals were pretty.

TommyMufc-Champs

Del Piero seems to be losing steam. I know, it sounds unbelievably wrong said out loud, but it seems to be it. Or maybe he's fallen out with Lippi, since his play time for Italy has been close to nil for quite a few time.

The friendly between Portugal and Cameroon was great, all four goals were pretty.

Yeah but I still would of took him even though he is not playing too good and whats up with Brazil not taking Ronaldinho. IMO they have made a mistake, some people may think he is crap but if you look at there midfield there is no skill.

SIKKS66

I don't know, the Brazil selection impressed me to be honest. Trying to get rid of some of the ego and celebrity within the squad (Robinho maybe being an exception) and make a pretty solid unit. The midfield is quite a fighting one and I'm thinking Dunga is looking to Kaka and the forwards to supply the flair and goals. Personally I would have taken Ronaldinho because even against United when we were shafting them he oozed class and confidence. Looking at all the teams my tip for the cup are:

Spain

Brazil

Argentina

England

Italy

Holland

Germany

I'm pretty worried about Argentina. We have a better, more astute coach but sometimes you need a bit of crazy in your side to win; "there was never a genius without a tincture of madness". Throughout the qualifiers Capello has come across as a bit overcautious and lacking that will to put teams to death. I'm hoping that won't come back to haunt us against the swashbuckling Argie and Spanish sides.

France won't get far. They have their Sven manager and a nation who doesn't believe they will get far. Void of confidence, they will fall at the first or second knockout rounds like we have at the past. But again maybe old Raymond's madness and their experience will help them... who knows.

Doink
Czech Republic 4-2 Unites States

And I knew we'd lose when I saw the starting lineup.

I wouldn't really make a big deal of it. We played our reserves on purpose, to see who deserves a spot on the 23-man squad. It would have been good to win, but a loss isn't really surprising.

And, with that said:

Goalkeepers- Tim Howard (Everton), Marcus Hahnemann (Wolverhampton), Brad Guzan (Aston Villa)

Defenders- Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes), Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan), Jay DeMerit (Watford), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Jonathan Spector (West Ham), Clarence Goodson (IK Start), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA)

Midfielders- Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Stuart Holden (Bolton Wanderers), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Ricardo Clark (Eintracht Frankfurt), DaMarcus Beasley (Rangers), Benny Feilhaber (AGF Aarhus), Jose Francisco Torres (Pachuca)

Forwards- Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Jozy Altidore (Villarreal) , Herculez Gomez (Pachuca), Edson Buddle (LA Galaxy), Robbie Findley (Salt Lake)

Brian Ching is out, surprisingly. To me, he hasn't really performed that well from what I've seen and I think he's vastly overrated. Good choice from Bob Bradley, imo.

I'm almost certain that Bradley flipped a coin between Pearce and Bornstein. tounge.gif

Overall I'm pretty satisfied with the final roster.

Also, anyone else think that Bob Bradley looks like some kind of super villain?

Waddy

Del Piero has been such an awesome player over the years but how old is he now? He hardly played in the last WC, or was the Euro's?

I am in a better mood about the squad today, I guess we have to back them no matter what now anyway. Heskey might have a great run...stranger things have happened. Its all down to the Manager anyway! He will take the blame if we dont get to the Semi's. England are still being touted about as a favourite to win it...Can we?

icon14.gif

TommyMufc-Champs
Del Piero has been such an awesome player over the years but how old is he now? He hardly played in the last WC, or was the Euro's?

I think it was the Euro Waddy. I remember him playing in the WC 06.

!!GC!!

Yeeeaaaahhhhh New Zealand wink.gif

Ari Gold
Yeeeaaaahhhhh New Zealand wink.gif

angry.gif

lol.gif I'll give you guys credit, you were more accurate. The game itself was pretty tame and we had more plays on goal, but typically our finishing was poor and despite all our efforts Paston was hardly tested. Thankfully we were playing a relatively weak side so surely we won't be that poor when it comes to the group stage, but it's still alarming to play that tamely before the World Cup.

The two drunk guys were a disgrace as well; portrays our supporters to all be violent drunks and they unnecessarily throw the team off further. confused.gif

nerner
That's just a piss take on Bent, second highest English goalscorer in the league, you've have to be taking him over Heskey because Crouch can do Heskey's job and more.

Bent falls into the between category though. He does Heskey & Crouch's jobs well enough, and also finishes well enough. However Heskey and Crouch are better target men, and Defoe and Rooney are better finishers when they are on form. I just can't see where he wil fit in.

TommyMufc-Champs

Bent falls into the between category though. He does Heskey & Crouch's jobs well enough, and also finishes well enough. However Heskey and Crouch are better target men, and Defoe and Rooney are better finishers when they are on form. I just can't see where he wil fit in.

Heskey cant score for sh*t. I would have Bent over Heskey anyday.

nerner

Heskey cant score for sh*t. I would have Bent over Heskey anyday.

When did I say Heskey could score? Maybe if you read my post you would understand my point of view? If not, please don't quote me.

Bates_GTA

sh*t me some people just do not understand football. Being a Villa fan, you'd think i want Heskey to go to Africa. But with Bent having such a great season, i was leaning to him abit more.

Now i can see sense in picking Heskey, Against much more physical defences like Italy, Spain etc Heskey would be a bitch to handle, where as Bent is like any other Striker, i also noticed he panicked alot in the friendly matches which isn't what we need infront of goal, leave it to Defoe, Rooney & Crouch to get goals and Heskey to batter defences.

Gutted for Adam Johnson, i thought he would have gone, having such an awesome season, bags of talent and seems very composed, abit like Joe Cole really with flare and delivery down the flanks.

SIKKS66

We don't need Heskey to score. We need Heskey to hassle defences which will allow Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard and, uh, Lennon to score. He's also a handful and will get us a lot of freekicks icon14.gif

Time to stop moaning. We need to support the team, it's a very strong team Capello has taken and we can fookin' do it.

Men of England; it's time to join the immortals.

...couldn't help myself.