Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Piperka

fugly cars

*MURDOC*
Ok then. Now let's get on-topic.

How many people here hate the Prius? I mean that car is just boring and ugly. The gizmos are ok but driving it feels like something is wrong like a box are on the wheels or something. The Lexus HS250 is basically a Prius that's a luxury car. Still, that car is hideous and really boring. I've driven one before, and in terms of luxury, its not that bad. But driving it, well boring. And I don't like the styling.

It's not made to be pretty or fun to drive.

Its made to be economical, which it isn't really.

dog_day_sunrise

How many people here hate the Prius? I mean that car is just boring and ugly. The gizmos are ok but driving it feels like something is wrong like a box are on the wheels or something. The Lexus HS250 is basically a Prius that's a luxury car. Still, that car is hideous and really boring. I've driven one before, and in terms of luxury, its not that bad. But driving it, well boring. And I don't like the styling.

Indeed. If you're getting less MPG than a twin turbo BMW diesel from your pansy hybrid, you're doing something catastrophically wrong.

*MURDOC*

Indeed. If you're getting less MPG than a twin turbo BMW diesel from your pansy hybrid, you're doing something catastrophically wrong.

Not to mention the gouging of the already-high price.

epoxi

Or the 'environmentally friendly' interior which make the patterned polyester seats in a 90s Daihatsu feel like a Rolls Royce.

Edited by epoxi

dog_day_sunrise

Or the 'environmentally friendly' interior which make the patterned polyester seats in a 90s Daihatsu feel like a Rolls Royce.

Or the "eco-rific" batteries produced using extremely toxic heavy metals that do more environmental damage than burning 500 gallons of crude oil in a yard full of polystyrene, and need to be replaced every dozen years or so at a cost eqivilent to approximately half of your first borne son.

win001

Exactly. Why buy a Prius? When its batteries are dead, well sorry you have to put it in a landfill and it will infect lots of things.

Oh and by the way, Top Gear did a test using an M3 and a Prius to see which gets better gas mileage. The prius will be at the front flatout, while M3 was following behind. Turns out M3 had the better gas mileage, because it wasn't going flatout. Just get a Tesla or something. Maybe a Honda FCX.

*MURDOC*

Just get a Tesla or something.

Yeah, let me just spend $100,000 real quick.

You'd be better off with a damn Geo Metro than a Prius though.

BTW, the FCX, if its ever mass-produced, wont be until around 2018, so yeah, terrible suggestion there!

Edited by *MURDOC*

Kevin...

f*ck that. I would take a Geo Metro over pretty much anything "hybrid" (minus the Volt...I just want one for some reason).

Cheap, fun, and economical.

*MURDOC*

f*ck that. I would take a Geo Metro over pretty much anything "hybrid" (minus the Volt...I just want one for some reason).

Cheap, fun, and economical.

I actually really want a Metro.

Hard to find anyone who actually wants to sell theirs though.

Theres a guy around here who has a super-aero'd out metro hatch, disc hubcaps, front splitter, sloping tail addition, and covered rear wheels, its a mileage beast!

win001

Yeah, would be fun if I buy one then mod it with Nitrous Oxide and chassis dyno. Look at this funny video:

Edited by win001

*MURDOC*
Yeah, would be fun if I buy one then mod it with Nitrous Oxide and chassis dyno.

How do you "mod a car with chassis dyno"? mercie_blink.gif

You don't know much about cars I'm guessing?

Oh and no, that wouldn't be fun, the word you're looking for is "stupid".

dog_day_sunrise
Yeah, would be fun if I buy one then mod it with Nitrous Oxide and chassis dyno.

I know I shouldn't laugh at other's misfortune but that is a perfect example of why you should never, ever post when you don't have the first f*cking clue what you're talking about.

Classic.

Starion

LOL

Thanks for the new sig pal! icon14.gif

win001

I know I shouldn't laugh at other's misfortune but that is a perfect example of why you should never, ever post when you don't have the first f*cking clue what you're talking about.

Classic.

You really don't know what chassis dyno is huh?

It's basically a car doing a dyno test!

@Starion Glad you like my quote. Never thought that someone was gonna take my quote and post it in their sig. Lol. But you can use it, thats fine.

epoxi

Seriously guys, my car has four dynos: two chassis dynos and one in each headlamp for good measure, me and my racing stripes would eat you up any day.

dog_day_sunrise

Classic.

You really don't know what chassis dyno is huh?

It's basically a car doing a dyno test!

@Starion Glad you like my quote. Never thought that someone was gonna take my quote and post it in their sig. Lol. But you can use it, thats fine.

Actually, a chassis dyno is one of these:

user posted image

Also known as a rolling road, it's designed to simulate a road surface without having the car move from one spot, allowing tasks such as engine mapping to be done in situ. Please explain to me how one can be modded with one? I could sort of understand (rather broken english) if you said "modded ON one" but modded WITH one doesn't make any sense.

A chassis dyno, as opposed to an engine dyno, is just one large enough to fit the entire car on, rather than a smaller one that only the engine itself is run on. Most tuning companies use chassis dynos because they allow fine fettling of engine maps, ignition timing, boost control and other factors whilst the engine is actually running. Engine dynos tend to be used in professional motorsport, where engines are swapped around in a matter of a few hours and motors need to be within a certain powerband area for scrutineering purposes.

win001

I think the video meant on one. Guy must have had broken english as you said. Yes that Geo Metro had Nitrous Oxide and was modded on a chassis dyno.

dog_day_sunrise
I think the video meant on one. Guy must have had broken english as you said. Yes that Geo Metro had Nitrous Oxide and was modded on a chassis dyno.

Still, as someone whose claimed to own a BMW no less in several other threads, I'd assume you'd be intelligent enough to check your facts rather than just spouting inane babble.

I personally still don't think you've got a clue what you're talking about.

Kevin...

Where I come from, we guess the HP and back that with 1/4 mile times. I have never dynoed any of my vehicles or any vehicles I have worked on. As my boss use to say "Never make HP figure promises unless you have spare cash and a dyno on hand. Always say 'It should be good for around Xhp'."

But I still agree with DDS. I demand pics with you and a pink slip with your name on it.

Lurch

Friend dynoed his truck a while back.

user posted image

user posted image

I think the sheet said 443 hp and 916 ft-lbs at the rear wheels with the 33's and a gear vender unit on it.

Edited by Lurch

win001

man that truck looks sick with insane horsepower!

as for you dds, I'm referring to a video thats why i posted the chassis dyno thing.

*MURDOC*
man that truck looks sick with insane horsepower!

as for you dds, I'm referring to a video thats why i posted the chassis dyno thing.

Just let it be already, Mr. Slow.

@Lurch, torquey!

Lurch

I'd really like to see some numbers at the crank as I bet that truck has all kinds of parasitic loss with all the big beefy components on it.

win001

I notice there's some black smoke coming out of the back. Oh yeah, pure American power truck!

Hey Murdoc, I think the nickname should be Captain Slow not Mr Slow.

*MURDOC*
I notice there's some black smoke coming out of the back. Oh yeah, pure American power truck!

Hey Murdoc, I think the nickname should be Captain Slow not Mr Slow.

Like you deserve that nick.

dog_day_sunrise

Where I come from, we guess the HP and back that with 1/4 mile times. I have never dynoed any of my vehicles or any vehicles I have worked on. As my boss use to say "Never make HP figure promises unless you have spare cash and a dyno on hand. Always say 'It should be good for around Xhp'."

I had my S4 rolling road mapped, as was my Corrado- so both of them got dyno'd. I've still got the printouts lurking around somewhere- but the whole 1/4 backing certain horsepower figures is a reasonably good way of estimating power output- though you've gotta be careful regarding the drivetrain setup. AWD bogs down on the line unless you get a really good launch (which is more trial and error than anything else) , FWD with a limited slip diff and a good driver can launch faster than a RWD car (all that weight over the front tyres helps) but will generally be slower because it's more likely to spin up the tyres on a gearchange, particularly if it's forced induction and you get that big dollop o' boost.

@Lurch: That's a pretty insane torque figure. My rough calculations would suggest it's producing peak power at about 2000RPM!

Starion

We're talking about dynos now?

Always a good excuse to show this:

That was two years ago, it should be good for about 440/445hp now. blush.gif

dog_day_sunrise
We're talking about dynos now?

Always a good excuse to show this:

That was two years ago, it should be good for about 440/445hp now. blush.gif

Map, mani-back exhaust and improved induction, at a guess?

Starion

In the video it was standard apart from the Haywood and Scott backboxes so the result may have been a taaad optimistic, but it was stronger than the other M5's there by about 5/10hp.

Now it's got a whole new exhaust system with equal length headers, 100 cell cats, center H pipes and new stainless backboxes. As far as mapping goes it's currently running Alpha N, but it's not had any power mapping as of yet. IIRC it's going back up to Evolve Automotive where it was all done quite soon to have some nice cold air intakes and a power map written for it once they've finished developing the intakes. The headers and the cats alone brung it up on the evolve dyno from around 395 to around 435, but without the intakes it can be prone to a bit of heat soak. With intakes and the map it should easily make 445 all day long, they never really peak above 450 unless you start doing work on the cylinder heads. smile.gif

Edited by Starion

corvettelover

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by corvettelover