4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTA Mapmaking

RedDagger

Jorje_36
2 hours ago, Yannerrins said:

Tip: Use Imgur instead of VK. It really good at handling big pictures.

Совет: Используй Imgur заместо хостинга ВК. Он лучше обрабатывает большие рисунки.

Они "поддерживают" Украину, так что я пожалуй пас. Существуют ли иные хостинги изображений?

Yannerrins
6 hours ago, Jorje_36 said:

Они "поддерживают" Украину, так что я пожалуй пас. Существуют ли иные хостинги изображений?

https://www.flickr.com/

Других не знаю.

Tuntchio

Here comes update 8 for Vice City + Sunshine State.

p4BgAD8.png

Update contains:

- Added some buildings throughout Vice City mainland

- Catalina City (Sebring) was downscaled, because it was too big for the scale of the entire map. It was already bigger than I was planning Escalante (Tampa) to be.

- Added buildings in Downtown Catalina and its surrounding streets.

- Brought civilization, in form of a small military base + old fortification, to Fort Bernard Island (near Escalante).

- Developed Escalante Bay area (Tampa) alot, drawing almost all of it's road network, some buildings here and there, the early sketch for the port (with a big train turntable at the terminal/port warehouse) and expanded the highways towards the outskirts of city. I intend to create some suburb "bellow" the port of Escalante and add more wetland north of Escalante (Lakeland - "Land O Lakes" IRL).

- Detailed Escalante Bay a little with some waterbodies/swamp areas.

Jorje_36

It remains to finish a few districts, and you can start the ghetto. It is very relaxing to work on mapping...

spacer.png

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...
killdrivetheftvehicle

Update for the gta World 2 map:

spacer.png

LibertyKing

lfnsIrw.png

It has been a very long time since my last post here (October...) and here I am with a small/medium update to my map/model of Liberty City!

I actually made a map out of this model. The model was already built from a map, but this map is based off of the model now.

hLWEblD.png

There are more pictures and various commentary inside the spoiler.

Spoiler

5AEh22m.png

I started working on this model in April 2021 and have worked on it on and off since. I have never done anything like this before and I tend to redo the same areas multiple times because I'm unhappy with them. That JSCU building over there I remade three times. Same for the tall one with the green roof (40 Wall St).

8Fz6XcI.png

This Statue of Happiness is actually copied from the model that used to be on Google Earth before they switched to 3D imagery years ago. I was lucky enough to still have it saved on my computer. I wanted to use an LOD model from GTA IV instead so I wouldn't have to remodel the torch into a coffee cup, but I needed paid software to import the model from OpenIV to Sketchup, so I gave up on that and edited the model myself. It's very rough, but I'm happy with it. I only copied the blue part of the statue. The base and the island I modeled from scratch. Then entire rest of the model I made myself from scratch.

MmPE59U.png

This badger sign took a long time to make. I didn't even use text, I just made it from squares until it evolved into the badger logo. The Broker/Brooklyn Bridge is quite underscaled.

YwLUAsz.png

Another view of the same area. I love this part of the map. I added the trees as a test many months ago, but I kept them because they add so much detail.

gbUdZQv.png

This sign also took me forever to make. The Old English font doesn't match the Liberty Tree logo perfectly so I had to adjust it. The headline might be outdated by now, but it wasn't when I made it.

ClkUk9d.png

This is my favorite view of the model. The holes on the left are train tracks with trains on them, based off of the Hudson Yards. The elevated pathway with trees is the High Line. You can refer to the map for my in-universe names.

rFk34wN.png

To make the Times Square buildings, I used to model viewer in OpenIV and tried to replicate them to the best of my ability. The Rockefeller Center's layout is taking some influence from the game, but is mostly custom. (The buildings with pink roofs)

uu90xPU.png

ComShock. It is a power company inspired by ConEdison. I tried to make the name and logo somewhat Rockstar-like without being too on the nose.

Thank you for reading these if you did!

Here are some high resolution isometric images of the model:

Link 1

Link 2

By the way, does anyone here have a better name for Greenwich Village than Woolwich? I wanted it to be ----- Village, but other English place names didn't feel right to me. Other suggestions are welcome.

PiiterMan

East Coast of "The Nation" v2022.7.15

DbCUobG.jpg

Reworked the airports to make them a little more logical, added more streets and highways, added more detail to Cardinal City and Capital City and surrounding areas, started making the new New Orleans-inspired city and expanded the railroad further.

• Like 8

MrAsianPie
On 7/14/2022 at 2:26 AM, LibertyKing said:

lfnsIrw.png

It has been a very long time since my last post here (October...) and here I am with a small/medium update to my map/model of Liberty City!

I actually made a map out of this model. The model was already built from a map, but this map is based off of the model now.

hLWEblD.png

Reveal hidden contents

5AEh22m.png

I started working on this model in April 2021 and have worked on it on and off since. I have never done anything like this before and I tend to redo the same areas multiple times because I'm unhappy with them. That JSCU building over there I remade three times. Same for the tall one with the green roof (40 Wall St).

8Fz6XcI.png

This Statue of Happiness is actually copied from the model that used to be on Google Earth before they switched to 3D imagery years ago. I was lucky enough to still have it saved on my computer. I wanted to use an LOD model from GTA IV instead so I wouldn't have to remodel the torch into a coffee cup, but I needed paid software to import the model from OpenIV to Sketchup, so I gave up on that and edited the model myself. It's very rough, but I'm happy with it. I only copied the blue part of the statue. The base and the island I modeled from scratch. Then entire rest of the model I made myself from scratch.

MmPE59U.png

This badger sign took a long time to make. I didn't even use text, I just made it from squares until it evolved into the badger logo. The Broker/Brooklyn Bridge is quite underscaled.

YwLUAsz.png

Another view of the same area. I love this part of the map. I added the trees as a test many months ago, but I kept them because they add so much detail.

gbUdZQv.png

This sign also took me forever to make. The Old English font doesn't match the Liberty Tree logo perfectly so I had to adjust it. The headline might be outdated by now, but it wasn't when I made it.

ClkUk9d.png

This is my favorite view of the model. The holes on the left are train tracks with trains on them, based off of the Hudson Yards. The elevated pathway with trees is the High Line. You can refer to the map for my in-universe names.

rFk34wN.png

To make the Times Square buildings, I used to model viewer in OpenIV and tried to replicate them to the best of my ability. The Rockefeller Center's layout is taking some influence from the game, but is mostly custom. (The buildings with pink roofs)

uu90xPU.png

ComShock. It is a power company inspired by ConEdison. I tried to make the name and logo somewhat Rockstar-like without being too on the nose.

Link 1

Link 2

By the way, does anyone here have a better name for Greenwich Village than Woolwich? I wanted it to be ----- Village, but other English place names didn't feel right to me. Other suggestions are welcome.

Take your time! This is going to be amazing!

• Like 1

magister
On 7/14/2022 at 9:26 AM, LibertyKing said:

lfnsIrw.png

hLWEblD.png

Hide contents

5AEh22m.png

8Fz6XcI.png

MmPE59U.png

YwLUAsz.png

gbUdZQv.png

ClkUk9d.png

rFk34wN.png

uu90xPU.png

Link 1

Link 2

Wow, my eyes. It's amazing. You return, bruHh. Good. Keep working on this masterpiece, don't give up on the project.

• Like 2

Sean Sovidaray
On 7/15/2022 at 10:18 PM, PiiterMan said:

East Coast of "The Nation" v2022.7.15

DbCUobG.jpg

Reworked the airports to make them a little more logical, added more streets and highways, added more detail to Cardinal City and Capital City and surrounding areas, started making the new New Orleans-inspired city and expanded the railroad further.

Would there be a Version of the Hoover Dam there

PiiterMan
4 hours ago, Sean Sovidaray said:

Would there be a Version of the Hoover Dam there

yes, but that will be in West Coast of "The Nation", ECO"TN" is still missing details and other things, so for the moment until ECO"TN" is finished.

Ivan1997GTA
On 7/14/2022 at 9:26 AM, LibertyKing said:

Yeah, how about Brownbags Village?

• Like 1

killdrivetheftvehicle

An update for the gta World 2 map

spacer.png

• Like 3

zippymalone
On 7/13/2022 at 11:26 PM, LibertyKing said:

lfnsIrw.png

hLWEblD.png

Hide contents

5AEh22m.png

8Fz6XcI.png

MmPE59U.png

YwLUAsz.png

gbUdZQv.png

ClkUk9d.png

rFk34wN.png

uu90xPU.png

Link 1

Link 2

Really impressive work, you using Blender? Love all the little additions you've put in - they feel like they'd fit in alongside IV's idea of Liberty City seamlessly while still adding in a bit more of NYC. You planning on doing all the boroughs or just Manhattan/Algonquin?

As for Greenwich Village, seeing how it means "green district" in Dutch, if you're not married to ____ Village this could be an excellent place for a nod to GTAIII by calling it the Green Light District, or something similar. If not I like Woolwich Village.

• Like 2

LibertyKing

@zippymalone: Thanks! I'm using SketchUp. I plan on doing all the boroughs + Alderney and Staten Island. I just doubt I'll ever get that far. I'm trying to merge both the 3D and HD universes together with more real world elements, so all the GTA III names are already somewhere on the map. All the names from Staunton Island would be on Staten Island, though. The Red Light District would be in Broker. See this old map I never finished for further reference. The scale outside of Algonquin will be smaller, but the idea remains. Oh, and notice the building with the JSCU logo on it in Lower Algonquin. Looks familiar?

Also, the name Woolwich Village is growing on me so I might keep it but thanks for the suggestions!

RRR3000
On 7/20/2022 at 2:43 AM, zippymalone said:

As for Greenwich Village, seeing how it means "green district" in Dutch

It does not mean that in Dutch. We called it "Noortwijck" (North District). It also became known as "Greenwijck" after "grenen", a certain type of wooden plank that comes from pine trees. Eventually that became "Greenwhich", not after the color green, but after a certain type of wooden planks.

LibertyKing

Not quite an update yet, but I need input on a decision I'm trying to make. I'm wondering if I should change the One New York Plaza to look like its GTA IV counterpart or stick with the more lifelike version. Next update will actually feature a map.

Downsides: A little less detailed as it looked weird with depth, scale is much bigger.

Upsides: Feels more like IV, looks more unique, scale is much bigger.

Top: Original version, lifelike.

Bottom: New version, GTA IV styled.

Vote Realistic Steak for Top

Vote YEE For Bottom

2jDw4UC.pnguLJGpGk.png

More views underneath

Spoiler

stJTXOB.png

g3imo6f.png

4dpiHQv.png

LO0diGe.png

Edited by LibertyKing

I am completely redesigning Cardinal City except for the South Cardinal and Cardinal Beach districts, the redesign does not resemble the original Cardinal City.

1 hour ago, PiiterMan said:

I am completely redesigning Cardinal City except for the South Cardinal and Cardinal Beach districts, the redesign does not resemble the original Cardinal City.

Show us

killdrivetheftvehicle

An update for the gta world 2 map

spacer.png

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, killdrivetheftvehicle said:

An update for the gta world 2 map

spacer.png

Which cities are those?

Ivan1997GTA
1 hour ago, Tuntchio said:

Which cities are those?

From left to right: Valencia, Maracay, Caracas, Georgetown, Paramaribo and Cayenne.