3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

RedDagger

GTA Mapmaking

McAgent

Small snippet on a map I'm working on - Red Dead Redemption, Modern Day!... or right now, just Saint Denis.

It's in a very early state right now - I have Saint Denis and Blackwater designed, and I have an outline for the map, but I have a lot of work ahead of me - I need to design buildings, the countryside, designate regions, etc

So may take me a while...

Edited by McAgent

McAgent

As promised, here's RDR Modern Day Version 2!

I've finished up the entire land outline of the map, all the way from Roanake Valley to Escalera, but in terms of actual completeness, West Elizabeth and Saint Denis, are the closest to being "complete." Once I finish all the roads and geographical regions of the map, I plan on starting to make the buildings and a fake "tourist guide" for map, if I can live long enough to do it!

Might be a little while until the next post, real life and school will be taking up a lot of my time in the coming weeks, but I'll try to post it eventually.

McAgent

RDR Modern Day Version 3 is now up on the web!

The progress I've made compared to the last post is pretty evident, I think! Let me know what you all think about it.

I also might start a little concept thread with game idea I had, using this map.

Edited by McAgent
formatting

Sighris

Which software did you guys use to make the map?

Sighris
On 11/30/2013 at 9:17 AM, LibertyKing said:

Update 5:

Click here to see update 5.

Click here for the version without names/icons.

Again, relatively big update. I started northern Algonquin and I've made the general shape of Bohan and Charge Island. I also changed all OChiddy's into Bean Machines because I thought it was more important in the GTA series than a McDonald's parody I made myself. The icon was made with an in-game texture of GTA IV to which I maxed the contrast, reversed the colors and redrawn. I also remade the area of Grand Easton Station, Getalife Building and the Helmsley Building because I originally made it by memory and it was wrong. I've redrawn the Columbus cathedral so that it look more like the real life St. Patrick's Cathedral. I changed some other things that I'm too lazy to list.

Tankzalat for reading. Please give feedback!

----------

Update 6:

smtlDQX.png

Click here for the version without names/icons.

Another update today and the last this weekend. I need a break. I finshed Algonquin at 95%: Streets: Done, Names: Done, Icons: Done, General shape: Done. Only some buildings and details remaining. I'm really not in the mood to list every changes because I'm seriously tired.

Again, feedback is welcome!

Which software did you use?

M5150

Hey guys, look so ive searched the internet far and wide for people that can make maps like this for GTA, yet no one has been available or willing to do it. i recently made a server in Multi Theft Auto with a custom mapped environment that doesnt use the SA map whatsoever and a very large restraint in our development is not having ourselves a map for reference. i have no idea how to go about making one myself so i made an account here and am asking any of you for help. If you would like to be paid, you will be paid but keep in mind i cant be spending tons of money on a map since i have server bills and other things IRL.

The map consists of two main islands (one larger than the other) and a few smaller islands, all but one having no roads or buildings. the map is centered in the middle of the original map. there are a couple mountains but nothing that would likely show up on the image. the image i have attached is roughly the size of it. feel free to mention me here, but i will be most responsive on discord: 5150#5150

thanks to anyone that can help, this is basically our last hope haha
https://i.imgur.com/026IVmy.jpg

killdrivetheftvehicle
23 hours ago, M5150 said:

Hey guys, look so ive searched the internet far and wide for people that can make maps like this for GTA, yet no one has been available or willing to do it. i recently made a server in Multi Theft Auto with a custom mapped environment that doesnt use the SA map whatsoever and a very large restraint in our development is not having ourselves a map for reference. i have no idea how to go about making one myself so i made an account here and am asking any of you for help. If you would like to be paid, you will be paid but keep in mind i cant be spending tons of money on a map since i have server bills and other things IRL.

The map consists of two main islands (one larger than the other) and a few smaller islands, all but one having no roads or buildings. the map is centered in the middle of the original map. there are a couple mountains but nothing that would likely show up on the image. the image i have attached is roughly the size of it. feel free to mention me here, but i will be most responsive on discord: 5150#5150

thanks to anyone that can help, this is basically our last hope haha
https://i.imgur.com/026IVmy.jpg

I don't know if this qualifies, but this is what you inspired me to do:

V84edPj.png

Edited by killdrivetheftvehicle

M5150
18 hours ago, killdrivetheftvehicle said:

I don't know if this qualifies, but this is what you inspired me to do:

V84edPj.png

that looks awesome man, would ya mind messaging me on discord? 5150#5150

M5150

@McAgent for whatever reason i can't DM you, but i was referred to you for help with my little situation here. think its possible to help us out?

jontya222

Hi everyone! I'm new here but I've always been fascinated with concept GTA maps. There are some extremely talented artists on this forum, and I find it very interesting to study your maps and imagine what a GTA game would be like within them. I've always wanted to make my own concept map and today, after teaching myself how to use paint.net, I present to you my first GTA style map. It is based off Hawke's Bay, the eastern part of my country New Zealand. I've include three images of it below, one with labels, one without, and one with loose zones. I am extremely happy with it as is is and I would love to hear your feedback. It is technically finished, although it is missing a lot of finer detail like buildings and pathways. I may revisit it in greater resolution and finer detail in future, but for now I am very proud of my work.

I don't know how posts work properly, but here is the link to the images.

https://imgur.com/gallery/bT8lzXK

M5150

yo @McAgent still cant dm here for whatever reason lmao, could you DM me back on discord when you get a chance? i messaged you back a week or two ago, thanks.

GrungiestFlea

Saint Roche Update

It's been a long while, way to much stuff going on, but I'm back with a new update for the Saint Roche map I started a long time ago. From where I left off things have changed quite a bit, foremost I suppose is the combining of the Vice City and Saint Roche maps into one, which I like though it's still far from being finished. Anyways as always any comments, questions or critiques are always welcome.

sI12EZf.jpg

Edited by GrungiestFlea

ivarblaauw
10 hours ago, GrungiestFlea said:

Saint Roche Update

It's been a long while, way to much stuff going on, but I'm back with a new update for the Saint Roche map I started a long time ago. From where I left off things have changed quite a bit, foremost I suppose is the combining of the Vice City and Saint Roche maps into one, which I like though it's still far from being finished. Anyways as always any comments, questions or critiques are always welcome.

Very epic and well done my friend. 

You asked for feedback so I give you some, although it is more like a few suggestions.

1. Perhaps you could add a few Oil platforms in the Gulf of Mexico? gameplay wise it would be interesting and make it a bit less... empty. 
2. - A forest region north west of Saint Jerome. It is most likely still a wip, but the land feels a bit to thin. Extend that part west of Saint Jerome a bit more to the north, to a possible height of the northern shores of Lake Porcheiron. A forestry region with a few small towns and sawmill plants would be perfect for that location. 
3. I miss the Mississippi River. Perhaps you could add a small northern mountain range from whereas this river flows? I would completely understand if this doesn't fit in your view of Saint Roche though :)
4. Take out the most western highway (the one which encircles the smaller lake), make it a small country road with a possible sightseeing location. 
5. Perhaps make the communities west of Saint Roche smaller and make it similar to Sinclair Parish in Mafia III :). Add farmlands here as well (a much larger version of Grapeseed from GTA V so to speak). Since it is an island, it should be able to sustain itself. 
6. Make the airport of Saint Roche a bit smaller 😛 it is nearly twice the size of that of Vice City
- Add a few small farm airfields
- Last but not least, add an prison island somewhere off coast. GTA style escaping from an island like that... All for it!

See the picture below for the numbers
https://imgur.com/NRBTjRY

Doggy Dink

Finished one of my projects, 'Coral Bay'. Based on SF bay, obviously. Took me a while to come up with the layout of the cities and stuff like that. I think it turned out good, tell me what you think. I have a colored district map made aswell if you want to see that

LOUoxYW.png

GrungiestFlea

On 2/18/2019 at 3:23 AM, ivarblaauw said:

Very epic and well done my friend. 

You asked for feedback so I give you some, although it is more like a few suggestions.

1. Perhaps you could add a few Oil platforms in the Gulf of Mexico? gameplay wise it would be interesting and make it a bit less... empty. 
2. - A forest region north west of Saint Jerome. It is most likely still a wip, but the land feels a bit to thin. Extend that part west of Saint Jerome a bit more to the north, to a possible height of the northern shores of Lake Porcheiron. A forestry region with a few small towns and sawmill plants would be perfect for that location. 
3. I miss the Mississippi River. Perhaps you could add a small northern mountain range from whereas this river flows? I would completely understand if this doesn't fit in your view of Saint Roche though :)
4. Take out the most western highway (the one which encircles the smaller lake), make it a small country road with a possible sightseeing location. 
5. Perhaps make the communities west of Saint Roche smaller and make it similar to Sinclair Parish in Mafia III :). Add farmlands here as well (a much larger version of Grapeseed from GTA V so to speak). Since it is an island, it should be able to sustain itself. 
6. Make the airport of Saint Roche a bit smaller 😛 it is nearly twice the size of that of Vice City
- Add a few small farm airfields
- Last but not least, add an prison island somewhere off coast. GTA style escaping from an island like that... All for it!

See the picture below for the numbers
https://imgur.com/NRBTjRY

Thank you so much ivarblaauw for the comments, almost all of them are great ideas and I'll try to implement them as I tweak the map though with things in life being as hectic as they are its hard to find time to work on the map so progress is a slow roll. Still though any other comments anybody has are welcome and I'm open as well to name ideas for the unnamed towns and/or regions on the map as well as any other ideas anyone has.

ivarblaauw
48 minutes ago, GrungiestFlea said:

Thank you so much ivarblaauw for the comments, almost all of them are great ideas and I'll try to implement them as I tweak the map though with things in life being as hectic as they are its hard to find time to work on the map so progress is a slow roll. Still though any other comments anybody has are welcome and I'm open as well to name ideas for the unnamed towns and/or regions on the map as well as any other ideas anyone has.

If I where you, I should name some of those towns to the locations featured in Red Dead or Mafia. Both as an easter egg, as that is already extremely fitting for the region.
- Barclay

- Parish
- Delray
- Verdun

- Sinclair
- Bourbon

If you would find some extra space to add countryside regions, I think that would be quite fitting. IMO there always should be about 30/40% city and the rest (60/70%) countryside, in order to give it that extra boost of realism. Ofcourse countryside can feature towns and small communities. Countryside is just as, if not more, important as city. 

Your map is nearing that realism level, so I can't wait for the finalized version :)

13 hours ago, Doggy Dink said:

Finished one of my projects, 'Coral Bay'. Based on SF bay, obviously. Took me a while to come up with the layout of the cities and stuff like that. I think it turned out good, tell me what you think. I have a colored district map made aswell if you want to see that

Woah mate, well done! Back to 3D era style. I love it!

Overlord gangsta 89

Hi everyone, it has been some time since I introduced my map, so now it is time for update. I haven't come up with name yet, so for now I'll call it simply Overlord's map. Btw I love the new maps you posted people, and especially that 3d maps. As I'm in process of learning 3d design, I might make later some of my own 3d maps too.

Overlord's map version 1.1 changes:

- added lots of new roads

- began on basic roadwork for a new metropolis at artificially constructed sea canal

- established roadwork of two small/medium sized towns and one village

- created jungle swamp area in the south eastern part of map

And that's pretty much it for now, but it is a progress nevertheless. Enjoy the map 😀

universetwisters

I made a fictionalized version of Bathurst, NB for my friend. Idk for photoshop it ain't that bad

plbRWxv.jpg

Overlord gangsta 89

Hi again everyone! 😀

Since map making fever caught me recently, I decided it is time for another update. And this time I came with a name for my fictional map.

So I'm proudly presenting you:

Overland map version 1.2

Spoiler

6IUhXXE.jpg

Now on to changes in new update:

- Started creating railroad network at southwestern part of map (brown lines).

- Added major airport with necessary infranstructure at the southwest peninsula adjacent to a metropolis above it. I have also slightly enlarged that peninsula.

- Made some slight corrections in road network.

That is it for now when it comes to changes, but you may expect new updates soon, or better said as long as map making fever will hold me and as I will have time of course. 😁

But before I finish, I also want to share with you a bit of backstory of this map, or better said its initial setting.

First and foremost, I chose Overland for a name of the map, because of quite simple reasons. Primary reason would be similarity to my nickname (Overlord - Overland), and second would be that this map will have overabundance of all the possible stuff a map, or better said continent could have. So it is a well fitting name for a map.

Now, if this map came alive in some sort of future GTA game (which most probably won't happen, but for the sake of it let's say it does), what would be its story you might ask yourselves. Well, for the starters lets define this maps connection to the real world. The obvious thing is that it is fictional map and does not resemble any know place or continent. However, it does have connection to a real world in most unusual way.

This GTA would involve one major Sci-Fi aspect, and to put it in simple terms, when starting the game, player would be on a some sort of trip over Bermuda Triangle of real world. It is not important if he travels by air or sea, because either way, an accident will happen and the plane or ship he travels at would get sucked in space-time portal which would lead him exactly to Overland. However, during transition player would have fainted and would awake after he already passed trough portal. So his plane/ship would crash in a huge crater set in the desert area of Overland. Most of passengers would not survive the trip, and those small number that do would be either still unconscious, or already gone. Presumably they were saved, but the people who rescued them haven't found the player, or something like that. That would be the first thing player would notice once awake. Second thing that would surprise player is amount of chrashed planes and ships in the crater. So all that missing ships, planes that disappeared in Bermuda Triangle were actually sucked in through portal and brought to Overland.

Now, I'm not sure how the story would go from here, but a good idea would be that he is for a time being confined into mentioned crater and tries to find some clues where he exactly is and to scavenge the area for items necessary for immediate survival. He would probably found some food, water, money, knife and maybe even a gun. Since he would not have a map of area in the beginning of the game player would have to explore the map on foot piece by piece. There would be some landmarks though that would help him in orientation since as we already established, crater would be huge, as well as area of desert surrounding it. Eventually after some time of researching, consuming food and finding collectable items, player would stumble upon some sort of military-research camp. As you might guess, said camp tries to determine from where all the planes and ships are coming and how exactly. The fact is, after years and years of research they still haven't got a clue about it, but they have determined that a trip to the realm from where all of those planes and ships come is currently inaccessible for them. In simple terms, one can go to Overland from our world, but can never return back.

Alright, with that established, you may wonder what happens with our player. If he is not being careful enough player could get easily captured by troops from the camp and be taken to nearest populated area in order to be processed and checked out for diseases, contraband and so on. The only downside to this scenario would be player losing all the items he gained so far, and especially weapons. So in the next area you would start from zero again.

However, there is a second scenario in which player could sneak to a camp's parking lot/garage and steal one of the vehicles in order to escape the area. That way he would keep everything and the only downside would be that military from camp would start chasing him. But if player drives fast and tricky enough he could eventually shake them off. Also, there would be a range of vehicles for him to choose from. From let's say a military SUV or 4x4 vehicle to Armored Personnel Carrier.

There would be also a third way which would have player to play Rambo and start killing everyone at the base-camp, but that would be not encouraged 'cause military personnel would heavily outgun the player. So if player still decides to go through with that scenario, he'd most probably find himself wasted and transferred to nearest hospital. That way he would again lose all items and weapons in process. But, if player somehow manages to overpower all the personnel of base, he'd still be in trouble of getting 6 stars and entire Overland's army on his back including APC's, tanks, attacks helicopters and fighter jets. The outcome of that would probably end the same way if soldiers at camp wasted him.

So essentially that would be a prologue to game and introduction of character which could be either guy or girl. That part could be actually optional so that you can choose between playing with either guy or girl which I'm sure would please a lot of players. Especially girls 😀

Okay, that is it for now. I will share more of the story and setting of game in the next update which will be soon hopefully. Meanwhile I hope you'll like what I came up with so far, and thank you for likes of my previous post. Btw all comments and even criticism is highly appreciated.

M5150

@McAgent check discord when you got a quick sec
((that feel when i cant DM on these forums so a thread is our main line of comms 👀 ))

killdrivetheftvehicle
Posted (edited)

So, if anybody is interested, I have come to this far with GTA World 2 map:

Spoiler

l5ukw1m.jpg

Mattineu
5 hours ago, killdrivetheftvehicle said:

So, if anybody is interested, I have come to this far with GTA World 2 map:

Hide contents

l5ukw1m.jpg

North America looks too small, and Africa too big, by the way, why are patagonia, south as south africa, and europe, africa and asia separated? Besides that,the map looks way better than the old one!

jcole

ala1nAQ.pngif rockstar were to make a mafia themed open world game this would be the perfect map for it.

killdrivetheftvehicle
Posted (edited)
On 3/9/2019 at 4:56 AM, Mattineu said:

North America looks too small, and Africa too big, by the way, why are patagonia, south as south africa, and europe, africa and asia separated? Besides that,the map looks way better than the old one!

The relative size of every country is actually the real relative size of them from https://thetruesize.com/#?borders=1~!MTYxNDU5OTQ.MzgwMzc5Mg*MzU0NzE2NTA(MjAyMDQ3OA~!CONTIGUOUS_US*MTAwMjQwNzU.MjUwMjM1MTc(MTc1)MA~!IN*NTI2NDA1MQ.Nzg2MzQyMQ)MQ~!CN*OTkyMTY5Nw.NzMxNDcwNQ(MjI1)Mg. As to why africa, asia and europe are separated, that's because of the curviture of the earth. I can't possibly have such a huge landmass together, because it would be weird. Remember, that the earth is a sphere, and you can't draw a two dimensional map without distortion. I decided to distort the map by separating africa, asia and europe, instead of multiple countries having a distorted size or shape. I admit Kazakhstan is not the right shape, but that's because of russia being so big laterally (I just realized you can't see the borders of the countries yet ). I decided that russia, being divided into two parts, should at least retain it's size and shape. I took liberties in creating the coasts between the european russia and asian russia though, because I want them to look more natural. Oh, and pacific islands are of course not in real relative size, they would simply be too small and I want to include them, so they are bigger in relative size. You're right about africa being too south, and I have to adjust europe and africa to the north.

The Deadite

Theres some good stuff here, browsing this thread reminds me how much i miss making maps...

Edited by The Deadite

Xegethra

Well, I decided to expand the GTA 3 Liberty City. I tried to keep it generally the same in terms of the islands and general district locations. I fragmented them and spread them out. I realise Staunton loosely mimics Manhattan and looks like a misshapen tumour, but when doesn't it in liberty City? I have a few maps of the city, each depicting different things. The yellow bits are the original map.

Everything

D0I4S.png

Districts
D0I57.png

Subway
D0I4V.png

Elevated Trains
D0I4Q.png

All Trains
D0I4M.png

Blank
D0I4T.png

Edited by Xegethra
Can't spell districts apparently.

Yannerrins

My new WIP. A Manhattan (Staunton/Algonquin) Island:

3HBHGS3.png

I'm working on it. In need something roads and all of the buildings.

Here the link to the large version: https://imgur.com/a/gOhmapz