Saving control settings?

Thriller101

Thriller101

Hi, I just can't seem to figure out how to save my control settings (so i can move with the arrow keys, etc)

I go to controls -> keyboard/mouse options -> custom mappings, but each time when I change the settings to the ones I want, it won't save?? where is the save button.... there only buttons it says are space (= restore default settings) and esc (if i press this it gives a message that 'i didnt save my settings, are you sure to continue').

So how can I save them for example take out phone I want as a P, how do I do this exactly.

ps: the thing in the FAQ of deleting some files in a certain folder didn't work. If you want to help me, please try to be detailed as I'm not exactly good with this lol.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, you are supposed to confirm with space bar or the enter key, not sure though it's been a while.

Thriller101

thanks for the reply but the space bar "restores" the settings so thats definatly not the right key and "enter"? how exactly... in what order do i have to do it because when I "confirm" with enter it just changes the key to enter and how do you get out of the control menu then as it keeps asking "warning: custom map is not saved, you sure you want to continue" when theres no save option whatsoever on my screen

"Enter" to select the line containing the control.

Type the key you want as the control.

"Escape" exits the controls screen and saves the modified controls.

I use the mouse to click the buttons on the bottom of the screen. Click the "Esc" or "Back" button to exit the screen and save the modified controls.

If you've done this and your modified controls are not being saved, then your Settings.cfg file may not be being saved. Find that file in the Settings folder in the same place you find your Savegames folder. Make sure that file is not marked read-only (it shouldn't be).

"C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\Settings\SETTINGS.CFG"

Or

"C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\Settings\SETTINGS.CFG"

Edited by zBobG

• 14 years later...

My SETTINGS.CFG file is not marked as Read-only... But i cannot find Savegames folder you are telling. I still can't save the control settings.