2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

Saints Row 2 (PC) The worst game I've played...

Engioc

In the lead up and after initial release of GTA4 a number of people were suggesting Saints Row 2 was a better game, I cant for the life of me figure out why, this has got to be one of the most sh*tty PC ports I have ever come across, and I'm truly sorry I bought it.

It has graphics like GTA3 LC and yet the system requirements of GTA4 LC. Its control system just in the menus is extremely annoying with the requirement to use Shift and Ctrl keys to move left and right, wtf?? why not stick to a fairly standard system of using left, right, up, down arrow keys??? Who designed these crappy menus FFS.

Then in game itself, it seems there is very little difference between on foot controls and in car controls.......why........On foot I'm happy to stick with WASD keys, for driving this seems really unnatural and I prefer changing to A=Accelerate, Z=Brake, Left Arrow=Steer left, Right Arrow=Steer right, but when I changed it I notice there is no LEFT/RIGHT option under in car controls, it continues using the on foot left/right controls, WHY??? what is the point to on foot and in car controls if your still stuck with the same keys, or changing a key in one section means it can no longer be used in another section.....GTA 4 lets me do it, why cant SR2??? I tell you why because its a cheap sh*tty attempt and screwing money out of people thinking they'll get a descent GTA style experience, bullsh*t.

Sorry for the rant but I bought SR2 when it was released on PC, I have tried and tried to enjoy this game, but I simply cannot, its the worst game I've bought in a long time, I just fired it up again today and I'm feeling like its time to remove this crappy game from my system and at the very least try swapping it for a discount on my next game purchase, GTA4 Episodes or Mafia2. GTA=No.1, and to me Mafia is the next best GTA style game. Hell even the old Driver series rates better than this SR2 piece of crap.

GrandMaster Smith

well if you truly hate it so much, why the hell do you keep it? you can goto a game store and turn it in for some easy money and just buy a different game. just cause you bought it doesnt mean youre stuck with it for life and cant get rid of it. I played SR1 on 360 and it wasnt too bad, i cant imagine how SR2 would degrage and have graphics comparable to gta iii tho..

just wait another month and red dead redemption will be out and will cover everyones needs that werent met in gta iv/SR2/eflc and so on..

well if you truly hate it so much, why the hell do you keep it? you can goto a game store and turn it in for some easy money and just buy a different game. just cause you bought it doesnt mean youre stuck with it for life and cant get rid of it. I played SR1 on 360 and it wasnt too bad, i cant imagine how SR2 would degrage and have graphics comparable to gta iii tho..

just wait another month and red dead redemption will be out and will cover everyones needs that werent met in gta iv/SR2/eflc and so on..

I intend on taking it back to store and swapping it, but I kept it this long trying to give it a chance, hoping for some patches so that one day it might impress me enough to keep playing it. I have no idea what the console versions were like but its gotta be one of the worst PC games I've seen in a while. Anyone who rates it as good/better GTA is crazy, GTA4 was released with plenty of bugs, but thankfully R* fixed it up, there has been very little support for SR2 PC with only 1 patch I know of and since no new patches are coming down via Steam I assume there are no others.

Anyway I will be taking back, plenty of games I'm planning to buy this year, just on the subject of Red Ded, is there going to be a PC release? I haven't really been keeping up with news on that one but it does look good from the screenies and trailers I've seen.

I liked it. Not as good as GTA (obviously) but it had things that GTA IV was missing. It felt like the III era all over again.

Comment's are void unless played in co-op.

Also PC sucks.

kT8ve9H.png

I liked it. Not as good as GTA (obviously) but it had things that GTA IV was missing. It felt like the III era all over again.

Well I'd like to know how other PC users managed to get it working right. My biggest problem with it is the controls, when GTA4 first came out it had some limitations in it too, keys I had used in GTA3 SA I was no longer able to assign. SR2 has more restrictions than GTA4 and I dont understand why they bothered dividing controls in to General, On Foot, In Car, Aircraft when there is no specific left/right option to separate On Foot from In Car. Just because I'm comfortable with WASD for on foot where I'm using the mouse to steer, doesn't mean it works well for driving, and to me its lazy programming not to of separated these controls.

Other problem I have with it is when moving, most notable when driving, I get a split second pause every few 20 seconds or so. This is on a system that can play GTA4 with no problems at all and never experienced problems even on the day of release for GTA4. I've stuffed around with all the graphic settings, its on the lowest of everything and yet I still get this stupid pause, my only guess is its related to the online/Steam BS and my connection isn't fast enough to keep up, but thats a wild guess. Without going and looking up the specs to remind me what they were, I am pretty confident that at time of release for SR2 I not only met all the minimum system requirements but matched or exceeded the recommended system specs. Since then my system has also had more upgrades done and should of fixed any problems.

Current system:

WinXP SP3 only 32-bit but that should be enough,

Core i7 3.0

4GB DDR3

Asus GF GTX275

SB XFi

ADSL2+ which is as good as it gets in OZ for now.

Oh and its my own brand, selected parts and built by me so its not due to a lack of understanding PC hardware or software

See no reason why SR2 shouldn't run on highest graphic settings.

GTA4 runs sweetly as do many other current games like AC2, Supreme Commander 2, and I suspect most other games I intend to buy this year will run no probs at all.

This is why you buy a console.

Wrong, if a game sucks on PC, it will suck on console too, good games get released on consoles and PC, sh*tty games remain forever on console and are generally made for kids and dumbies. And that is my first and final comment cause I'm not here to get in to a war on which platform is the best, I own all 5, they all have their place. Oh yeah I mean 5, PS3, Xbox360, PC Win, PC Linux, Mac.

RomanViking

Joe H gave it a 1/10:

Horribly ported over to the PC, all the menues still refer to a game pad (the 360 one by the looks of things....) and even the buttons on screen when changing weapons are the 360's! How lazy is that? they couldn't change it to an arrow? That is how the rest of the game plays. Cheap and nasty. Poorly optimized for the PC. Worst £10 I've spent in a long while!

Shawn D. gave it a 2/10:

The game has a good concept, but it's very poorly executed. Why do the menus require me to use the keyboard and no mouse? Why do the cars have such horrible steering? Why does this game get 20fps at low quality when Crysis gets 60fps at medium quality? As it stands, the game is unplayable. It has potential to be a lot of fun, but right now it's a broken mess.

Metacritic says you're not alone. Game Developers really don't care about PC anymore do they... ?

Joe H gave it a 1/10:

Horribly ported over to the PC, all the menues still refer to a game pad (the 360 one by the looks of things....) and even the buttons on screen when changing weapons are the 360's! How lazy is that? they couldn't change it to an arrow? That is how the rest of the game plays. Cheap and nasty. Poorly optimized for the PC. Worst £10 I've spent in a long while!

Shawn D. gave it a 2/10:

The game has a good concept, but it's very poorly executed. Why do the menus require me to use the keyboard and no mouse? Why do the cars have such horrible steering? Why does this game get 20fps at low quality when Crysis gets 60fps at medium quality? As it stands, the game is unplayable. It has potential to be a lot of fun, but right now it's a broken mess.

Metacritic says you're not alone. Game Developers really don't care about PC anymore do they... ?

I 100% agree with everything said there. PC does often get neglected these days but if you look around there are still some really good PC exclusive games around. One that springs to mind right off the top of my head, ArmA 2, not sure how many people here know it, but its a pretty good game and PC only. It's not your typical Hollywood style FPS, the voice acting is pretty bad, but its simulation of real marine combat is second to none (just my opinion of course). On release like many games it suffered from a lot of bugs, but once you get past those kinds of problems its a really great game. What's more its DRM free, AC2/Ubi anyone?? smile.gif

So some developers do still care about PC and not consoles because they're smart enough to realise the extra power and up to date hardware offered by PC's, how many years old is the hardware in both consoles?? too old as far as I'm concerned. Like I said I play games and conduct my business on 5 platforms, I use what ever best suites my end goal and I'm not a fan of any one system over another, I see a place/use for each of them. I'm a fan of the game, not the system I happen to be playing it on.

New Liberty State

Epic fail at fanboyism

RomanViking

I use what ever best suites my end goal and I'm not a fan of any one system over another, I see a place/use for each of them. I'm a fan of the game, not the system I happen to be playing it on.

I think that is a lesson for us all.

Fanboyism is stupid. There's probably some deep symbolism wherein fanboyism closely parallels many deep, and large issues in society. But it would take a long while to write it out, and I think most will see the relation..

Anyway, back on subject: game developers should care more about people who will be purchasing and playing their game. Rush job, poorly coded/optimized PC ports happen too often. It sometimes happens the other way, like Mafia for PS2/Xbox, but examples are few and far between...

And I've never had the DRM myself, as my PC is from 2003 lol, but I have heard over and over that DRM is horrible. Like malware almost. PC gamers also must often deal with limited installs, and having to be connected to the internet to save their game progress.. Yeah, AC2 like you said..

PC owners are being screwed many a times over.

macorules94

I for one, loved SR2 and enjoyed it more than IV.

There, everyone has different opinions.

Killer.Khan

Epic fail at fanboyism

This leech has been on me all day. I think he's gay for me.

GTA IV excelled in graphics but failed in gameplay (my opinion) where as SR2 failed Graphically but excelled in creativeness and gameplay (once again my opinion).

i personally play both alot but imo if GTA IV was less strict and a little less realistic gameplay wise like parachutes (base game) it would be better than SR2 game play wise.

I for one, loved SR2 and enjoyed it more than IV.

There, everyone has different opinions.

Sure, exactly right, great you enjoyed the game, but unfortunately my experience with SR2 hasn't been good, and I didn't suffer any of the problems of GTA4, so for me it was a better game. I am sure there are plenty of people who will say it was the other way around for them, and I totally understand and accept that. Oh and I'm comparing PC with PC version of GTA4/SR2, console is not included because its just not the same.

Again though, and I say this for any platform or game, all fans should be treated equally regardless of their choice of platform, all 3 systems are capable of running games, so they should get the game released and in a properly optimized, bug free state. Don't penalize people for their choice of platform.

On the note of DRM and bugs with PC versions, well my belief is that is also coming to consoles, the internet connections now integrated in to consoles is NOT just about making it easier for gamers, its about making it easier to patch console games, and to allow DRM solutions the same as Ubi/EA. Dont be fooled in to believing its all for your benefit, it aint. And if you cant see that happening, you must be blind, take a longer look around the gaming industry, its obvious. In the future more and more game code will be kept on servers where you cant touch it to crack it, and that will be the case for PC and console because piracy exists on all of these platforms, rarely have I met a console gamer who didn't copy their games, using a PC of course.

One last thing before I disappear again, Good games are good games on all platforms (if done correctly and not just lazy job), and likewise a sh*tty game will always be sh*tty regardless of the platform. Unfortunately most of the time we end up with the lazy job and a sh*tty port either to PC, and sometimes even consoles.

Edited by Engioc

"Quit crying and buy a console, PC's suck and are only made for text editing programmes and messenger BS."

"PC gamers had it comming, they shouldn't illegally dowload so much software in general.".

"Saints Row is just good and you know it, buy a Xbox360 and the game on said platform (because PS3 has no games)".

Hmm, what other kind of comments could I add? Oh yes:

"You GTA(IV) fanboys are just hating on Saints Row because it's better!!!!"

Useless Dave
"Quit crying and buy a console, PC's suck and are only made for text editing programmes and messenger BS."

"PC gamers had it comming, they shouldn't illegally dowload so much software in general.".

"Saints Row is just good and you know it, buy a Xbox360 and the game on said platform (because PS3 has no games)".

Hmm, what other kind of comments could I add? Oh yes:

"You GTA(IV) fanboys are just hating on Saints Row because it's better!!!!"

And;

'BAWW PC R BEST U DUMASS KIDS BAWW"

Algonquin Assassin

I thought Saints Row 2 was fun for about two months then it got boring. IMO having tons of features doesn't make good gameplay.

Saints Row 2 had alot of gimmick bullsh*t that was funny the first 2 maybe 3 times, and it wore off pretty quick.

The thing that brings both Saints Row games down for me is they try way too hard to be like GTA. That's why I like games like Scarface, The Godfather games, The Just Cause games, The Assassin's Creed games etc, because they all go down a different route to GTA.

This will sound fanboyish (Although I don't care. It's a GTA forum after all), but the Saints Row series will never be as good as any GTA game. Atleast to me it wont.

Boardwalk Empire Episode 2.1 Review - That Shelf

Mister Pink

Epic fail at fanboyism

You are worse for labelling it and pointing it out and spamming the topic with non-contributive internet garbage talk..

Anyone with a preference for a certain piece of technology is automatically a fanboy these days. I f*cking hate the word fanboy. I don't know why people use it. It should be banned from the internet a long with Epic Fail.

Sorry to go off topic.

Creed Bratton

I have no problems with SR2 on my PC since I upgraded to 4Gb RAM and Win7 64Bit. No more stuttering, game runs great. Still, car handling and physics kinda suck.

My system is.

9500gt 1gb

Amd Athlon 2x 7750+

4gb ram

And i cant play this game on low conf... SR2 is a good game but SR2 for PC is just a big fail!

GTA3Freak-2001

I can't vouch for the PC version but on 360 I had no real issues with the game and found it plenty of fun. Still to say its the worst game you've played tells me you haven't played enough games because there are shockers out there that defy belief they got out the door. Perhaps the worst PC port of a console game would be more fitting.

Yeah I have Saints Row 2 for my PS3. I only bought it because everybody online was saying it was such a good game. I will never buy a Saints Row game ever again; it had the worst physics out of any game I have ever played.

copperwire93

1. Saints Row II = Good on consoles, hellish on PC.

2. It's a bad ported game to PC

3. The developer lack of skills in porting the game on PC.

4. This whole PC vs Console like "OMG PC suck!" and "Haha! Console got stupid graphics" and etc, they're all SUCK. Some games are meant to be good at either console or PC because of certain reasons.

I thought Saints Row 2 was fun for about two months then it got boring. IMO having tons of features doesn't make good gameplay.

Saints Row 2 had alot of gimmick bullsh*t that was funny the first 2 maybe 3 times, and it wore off pretty quick.

The thing that brings both Saints Row games down for me is they try way too hard to be like GTA. That's why I like games like Scarface, The Godfather games, The Just Cause games, The Assassin's Creed games etc, because they all go down a different route to GTA.

This will sound fanboyish (Although I don't care. It's a GTA forum after all), but the Saints Row series will never be as good as any GTA game. Atleast to me it wont.

Thats how I felt with SR2 as well, its just trying too hard to rip off GTA, there is very little in this game that I haven't seen in GTA. Sure they have the odd new idea or slightly different take of things but on the whole its just a complete GTA old style rip off.

That is another reason I rate Mafia and even Driver as being better, at least they offer something really different. Driver is from the perspective of the police, an attempt at real world cities, not the greatest game but for its time it wasn't all that bad, just needed more life and stuff to do in their cities. Mafia offers a totally different time period, totally different car handling, older weapons, and I'm sure Mafia 2 will go even further in bringing the city to life.

Anyway for me Driver and GTA together pioneered the whole open world style of play. Driver created the cities and you could drive anywhere you wanted in the free drive mode, R* and GTA came along and gave us something to do in these cities so there was more point to just cruising around. These games inspired many rip offs and also a few other styles of games have taken this idea of free roaming, Test Drive Unlimited, ArmA 2, AC are titles just off the top of my head that now use free roaming and cities/worlds filled with life.

What does SR2 give me I haven't seen before.

Just to make it clear again, I dont care for one system over another, yes this PC port of SR2 sucks and maybe the console version plays better, but it still didn't impress me enough to go buy the console version. I have GTA on all 3 systems and it plays well on all of them.

Edited by Engioc

Algonquin Assassin

Thats how I felt with SR2 as well, its just trying too hard to rip off GTA, there is very little in this game that I haven't seen in GTA. Sure they have the odd new idea or slightly different take of things but on the whole its just a complete GTA old style rip off.

That is another reason I rate Mafia and even Driver as being better, at least they offer something really different. Driver is from the perspective of the police, an attempt at real world cities, not the greatest game but for its time it wasn't all that bad, just needed more life and stuff to do in their cities. Mafia offers a totally different time period, totally different car handling, older weapons, and I'm sure Mafia 2 will go even further in bringing the city to life.

Anyway for me Driver and GTA together pioneered the whole open world style of play. Driver created the cities and you could drive anywhere you wanted in the free drive mode, R* and GTA came along and gave us something to do in these cities so there was more point to just cruising around. These games inspired many rip offs and also a few other styles of games have taken this idea of free roaming, Test Drive Unlimited, ArmA 2, AC are titles just off the top of my head that now use free roaming and cities/worlds filled with life.

Just to make it clear again, I dont care for one system over another, yes this PC port of SR2 sucks and maybe the console version plays better, but it still didn't impress me enough to go buy the console version. I have GTA on all 3 systems and it plays well on all of them.

I'm glad someone agrees with me. You're right though. There really isn't alot in either Saints Row game that is significantly unique to the genre.

On a whole I wouldn't say the Saints Row games are completely terrible though. I just don't think they're as great as they're made out to be. Overrated actually.

Edited by Miamivicecity

Boardwalk Empire Episode 2.1 Review - That Shelf

I'm glad someone agrees with me. You're right though. There really isn't alot in either Saints Row game that is significantly unique to the genre.

On a whole I wouldn't say the Saints Row games are completely terrible though. I just don't think they're as great as they're made out to be. Overrated actually.

Yes, well I admit my first post was a bit of an over reaction, I'd just finished another attempt at playing SR2 and was feeling rather pissed off. It's not the worst game I've played but it's definitely over rated. I purchased it because on this forum and many other web sources suggested it was as good as, sometimes better, than GTA4, for me that seems like utter BS. Out of the GTA style games it does rate as my worst experience, GTA, Mafia, and eve Driver rate much higher.

Edited by Engioc

- Offtopic -

Even though I'm 4 days late, nice post Dave. About time someone said that, I'm getting fed up of hearing that consoles "are just for kids".

- Ontopic -

SR2 also didn't meet my expectations. Why do people think it's one of the best games ever? I don't understand

saints row 2 feels like it's trying to be like san andreas with it's gangsta sh*t.

the pc port is unoptimized as hell. (which is unacceptable considering the gfx aren't very impressive)

to some extent fun, but somehow it just doesn't -feel- right. maybe it's the crappy handling and how the peds act etc., idk really.

also damn, why are the cars so sh*tty, they don't even look like cars?! their shapes and dimensions are simply screwed.

the game lacks a lot of attention to detail and feels like it's very constrained.