4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

$300 Computer

Petarkco

My dad wants me to build a computer for him but I need to know what is the best parts but keeping the price under $400 Australian.

He doesn't need a monitor or keyboard or mouse.

Its has to be able to run Windows 7.

Edited by MLVD

What about optical drives or hard drives, do you need them because honestly $400 will be a struggle? Just going by PC Case Gear's website(one of the better aussie online stores) the cheapest I could make a system was $502. You could possibly get that down a bit by shopping around but really it would be worth it to convince your dad to up the budget slightly. He will end up with a system that can be more easily upgraded down the track.

Mobo

Processor

Memory

Case + PSU

Optical Drive

Hard Drive

Hey mate, check out my last post in the freeloader topic (its up above this one wink.gif )

I posted the specs of my own budget pc, if you have a HDD and an Optical Drive you can recycle you should come in on budget. smile.gif

The only way you're getting a decent computer for around $300 is if you get a used one, or recycle a bunch of parts from your old one. I think a smart phone might be more in your price range tounge2.gif

What about optical drives or hard drives, do you need them because honestly $400 will be a struggle? Just going by PC Case Gear's website(one of the better aussie online stores) the cheapest I could make a system was $502. You could possibly get that down a bit by shopping around but really it would be worth it to convince your dad to up the budget slightly. He will end up with a system that can be more easily upgraded down the track.

Mobo

Processor

Memory

Case + PSU

Optical Drive

Hard Drive

If by optical you mean DVD drive he already has one and he has a HDD as well.

The only way you're getting a decent computer for around $300 is if you get a used one, or recycle a bunch of parts from your old one. I think a smart phone might be more in your price range tounge2.gif

The pawn shop PCs are typically at $300 USD, and often marked down the longer they sit around, etc. I agree, however, look into ITX boards or something less conventional that maybe cheaper due to less demand for it, but still compatible with current hardware you'd be using or buying

? -They are making headway with regard to smaller portable electronics, and it would be nice for nVidia to take their new GPUs and find a way to mate them with older boards, at least some oddball tech in the past made that feasible. When they have a GPU advance, it's often not assimilated into tech that's out but looking for new platforms to be put to use. Sadly.

I hope I don't get Off Topic just by saying that, but a recent article on Techspot got me thinking in that regard. -?

I remember after buying a replacement mobo for my Latitude Dell, Charming Charlie pointed out a NewEgg deal for motherboard and CPU, and Microcenter also sells some combos, you can do business with MicroCenter online, and they constantly change their list of deals and closeouts

The only way you're getting a decent computer for around $300 is if you get a used one, or recycle a bunch of parts from your old one. I think a smart phone might be more in your price range  tounge2.gif

The pawn shop PCs are typically at $300 USD, and often marked down the longer they sit around, etc. I agree, however, look into ITX boards or something less conventional that maybe cheaper due to less demand for it, but still compatible with current hardware you'd be using or buying

? -They are making headway with regard to smaller portable electronics, and it would be nice for nVidia to take their new GPUs and find a way to mate them with older boards, at least some oddball tech in the past made that feasible. When they have a GPU advance, it's often not assimilated into tech that's out but looking for new platforms to be put to use. Sadly.

I hope I don't get Off Topic just by saying that, but a recent article on Techspot got me thinking in that regard. -?

There are so many things wrong with this post..

ITX boards cost more because they're far more difficult to make, lack of demand increases prices too.

We're not talking about small portable electronics, we're talking about a computer and yes, you were offtopic.

I remember after buying a replacement mobo for my Latitude Dell, Charming Charlie pointed out a NewEgg deal for motherboard and CPU, and Microcenter also sells some combos, you can do business with MicroCenter online, and they constantly change their list of deals and closeouts

And this helps nothing except your post counter.

Is that site Aussie Otter? I'm assuming the guy is in Australia because of the flag, in which case those would cost too much... And that's not even getting started on shipping it, etc.

No, sorry, I suppose I'm a little ignorant of Oz money. I'm used to our dollar to being far less than everyone's. tounge.gif Just looked it up - we're pretty much on par, to be honest.

However, I really just pointed it out to show that local PC shops can throw together some decent machines for a limited budget.