4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Remove 'New Topic' button in topic view

NTAuthority

NTAuthority

As the title says, you should remove the 'new topic' button from the buttons when viewing a topic; it seems to often be pressed accidentally lately.

Im not sure how you assume its pressed alot automatically as there isn't a ton of accidental new threads posted, but honestly it's there for an option. Adding a reply is on the left along with your fast reply. I don't really understand how that gets confusing.

Not to mention reading a topic can sometimes spawn the need for a new topic instead of derailing the original.

As someone who'd have to deal with said mistakes...I've not seen many, so either it's not actually a problem or I'm more lazy than I've realised!

We've been fine for the past 8 years, any reason to change? Unless worldwide IQ is dropping rapidly, I don't see any reason to change.

Exkabewbikadid

Even if that did happen, the thread wouldn't get posted until the foolish poster entered a topic title and not just the message. So in that sense, it should be idiot proof enough, which seems to be the case because I don't recall ever coming across any such mistake being made.

NTAuthority
because I don't recall ever coming across any such mistake being made.

You were most likely beaten to removing them from the modding forums. tounge.gif In fact, this creates a lot of topics named 'help'. And still, I feel the need to create a topic from the topic viewing page is less common (just go to the forum viewing page?) than this issue occurring. In fact, many other forum software actually removed this button by default, for these exact reasons.

Indeed, there are some topics in 'Mod Showroom' with ''help'' in it's title, instead of posting in mod's topic, but there aren't plenty of them. Topics like that get locked, so there's no problem for them. But some people use the 'New Topic' button from a post to create an actual usable topic, so like Mark said, it's not necessary.

i might suggest to move the 'Report Post' button below the user info in topics, because i've pressed it accidentally a few times in the past trying to reply, of course not like it does happen every day, but is pretty embarrassing

How can you not make difference between reporting post and posting a reply? It's quite different, 'Report Post' button doesn't have the editing ability, and only one button to submit a report, while 'Add Reply' has 'Preview Post' ability, and also Emoticons and Code Buttons. It's quite different, you can clearly see the difference! IMO it's good where it is.

Indeed, there are some topics in 'Mod Showroom' with ''help'' in it's title, instead of posting in mod's topic, but there aren't plenty of them. Topics like that get locked, so there's no problem for them. But some people use the 'New Topic' button from a post to create an actual usable topic, so like Mark said, it's not necessary.

Not to mention half those "help" topics are cause the users too f*cking lazy to look for the correct topic tounge.gif.

I suppose the report button could possibly be moved but to be fair the situation above usually only happens once every 1-2 weeks so meh.

Both screens look totally different anyway mercie_blink.gif

How can you not make difference between reporting post and posting a reply?

easy! because your way to browse depends on every machine, explorer and plus skin, i'm using firefox (not much to do anyway) which can use an extension to be complemented with GTK+ themes, so that makes fonts change in appearance and size, also i'm using 'The Connection' Skin which is the coolest so that makes the colors more likely the same, also i said a few times because it happen when i read really long post, like tutorials or popular posts like the ones from DexX with his modifications for graphics. not really a problem you see, just a suggestion because it happen to me before, specially when i'm in a hurry.

btw, i just said press the 'report topic' button, which doesn't mean i really write the report, but as i said also, is the fact of mistaking the buttons more than the fact of it's purpose

Edited by H13N.H3N
i might suggest to move the 'Report Post' button below the user info in topics, because i've pressed it accidentally a few times in the past trying to reply, of course not like it does happen every day, but is pretty embarrassing

The "Report Post" button isn't really a big deal, because as far as I know, the report isn't submitted until you type a reason in.?

As for the "New Post button" it's not really a big thing, because if by chance you accidently hit the "New topic button" instead of the "add reply" one, you can always just PM a Mod/led by and have it merged with the correct topic. But I have to agree with Mark on this one.