4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTA2 Trainer

aragond

Hey ho, everybody.

I've got the free version of GTA2 for PC from R*'s site, am using it on the PC in my sig', am using it at 1920x1200 (I think), and it's a cool game.

However, I'm running around, and when I get multiple elevations "in shot", visible, shown on the screen, the fps of the game PLUNGE from about 30 (which I assume is the max available) to as little as 1, sometimes 5, more often 3 fps, which is not a graphics problem, but a cpu one, 'cuz the game itself slows down to 10% of normal speed, rendering it utterly unenjoyable.

I can post vids of this joyousness, if it'll help.

Can anyone explain this phenomenon?

I'm using the Holger Arndt © 1999 GTA2 trainer from gtazone.de which may, or may not be the cause of this problem.

Try it without the trainer. There are many other ways to cheat without using a trainer.

There's no point running it fullscreen in more than 640x480 since the sprites weren't made for any higher res.

Edited by Sektor

QUOTE (Sektor @ Dec 27 2009, 19:17)

Try it without the trainer. There are many other ways to cheat without using a trainer.

Yep, gave it a brief try and it SEEMS to work better, but I think I need to give it an longer trial before I can be sure. I'll also lower the res' and see if that helps.

So, thanks.

Can't imagine what the trainer was doing to cause issues.

Spoke too soon. Changing to hte PM makes little or no difference. I still get the same slowdown though it seems to happen less often.

Plus NOW I cannot exit the game. I'm serious. I click on Escand it gives the confirm, and I can hit that Enteras much as I like, it'll never exit. Never. I try Ctrl+Alt+Deland I get returned to the game. So, I have to reboot.

Now, THAT'S sh*tty.

QUOTE (continued...)

There's no point running it fullscreen in more than 640x480 since the sprites weren't made for any higher res.

REALLY?!mercie_blink.gifDon't I get to see more of the map?? And not even like 800x600?! I mean, PCs were running on 1024x768 ten years ago, weren't they? But, no, I get it: written for the PS1, therefore, 640x480. Bl00dy consoles.

Edited by Sektor

You don't get to see more of the map in higher resolution, it just stretches 640x480. You might think it's low res but the GTA2 explosion textures are larger than the GTA3 explosion textures.

Anyone?

It still slows down whenever there is an angled surface or fire in the game.

I have tried it with the aforementioned trainer and with the super power manager.

The game NOW seems to occasionally just switch-off, as in shut-down, which means (thanks R*) you lose aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall your progress.

And other times, you can't exit the game except by shutting the machine down.

I'm now wondering whether it's because I'm using the recently re-released game. (I'm assuming it was tweaked by R* b4 release.) 'Cuz using the power manager, I can't run the game windowed either, which is just weird.

Does A N Y B O D Y have any clues to help with this 'cuz it's just not playable. (Which is annoying since it's the only GTA I've never completed.)

Update your videocard drivers. Something is very wrong in your system.

Don't blame GTA2 or R*.

I had same problem, whenever there was fire or explosion on screen it slowed down.

But somehow it went away.

Try to change color depth and refresh rate of your monitor.

Edited by B-$hep

Plus NOW I cannot exit the game. I'm serious. I click on Esc and it gives the confirm, and I can hit that Enter as much as I like, it'll never exit. Never. I try Ctrl+Alt+Del and I get returned to the game. So, I have to reboot.

I've just installed the free PC version, just like you did and I had this problem too. The solution, at least for me, was to make sure the "Manager" was closed before attempting to exit.

The problems was that I've tried to go into the "Options" screen inside the game and, on this new version, it simply makes the Manager to pop-up on your screen. If that happens and you go back to the game by clicking on it on the windows task bar, you will go back, but the manager will still be open. And when that happens, you cannot exit the game. At least I could not.

If that is happening to you, try to ALT+TAB and close the manager.

And about your slowdown problem, have you ever tried playing without trainners? As far as I can see, you have simply changed trainners. Try not using them and see if the problem goes away.

By the way, the slowdown did happen to me. Since I had other processess running in the background (ah the joy of playing older games), I've ALT+TABBED and checked if it wasn't any of them taking over all my CPU cycles. It wasn't. The only thing using my CPU was the GTA2 process. When I went back to the game, the slowdown had stopped and did not occur anymore.

But I've just remembered one thing. When I ALT+TABBED because of the slowdown, I noticed that the GTA2 Manager was active (which lead me to conclude that perhaps closing it would allow me to exit the game later on, when I had the same problem as you). Maybe the slowdown have some connection with it too.

I've been playing the downloadable version a lot on the last days and I noticed that what I've said on my last post was wrong.

Pressing ESC and then ENTER to go back to the menu works only until you press ALT+TAB. After that, the ESC key still triggers the message, but the ENTER key does nothing.

When ENTER doesn't work after you alt-tab out of the game then just hold down ALT key and press any of the ARROW keys.

For example: ALT+Right arrow at the same time.

Enter will work again.