3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Youtube videos wont play

sate

I have a laptop, and when I press any video on youtube it tells me to download the newest adobe flash software or to turn on java script in my browser.

I have done these things numerous times, and I still can't play videos on youtube. I have also upgraded my java to the newest version, and it still doesnt work. (I have also enabled java in my browser).

I installed Itunes not too long ago, but I don't remember if youtube worked before the installation, but maybe that is the problem?

I'm running

Norton Antivirus

Windows XP SP3

Please help.

Java and JavaScript aren't the same thing. Here are instructions on how to enable Javascript on major browsers. If the videos still don't play, install flash player from here.

Also, if you're on FireFox and using script blocking add-ons such as No-Script, make sure you've whitelisted youtube.

Java and JavaScript aren't the same thing. Here are instructions on how to enable Javascript on major browsers. If the videos still don't play, install flash player from here.

Also, if you're on FireFox and using script blocking add-ons such as No-Script, make sure you've whitelisted youtube.

Thanks for the suggestions, but none of them worked.

Its really a strange problem confused.gif

Just to note, I get those same errors on dialup, but it's purely a case of the software and webpage loading being hampered. Try all the free flash players available and load in Adobe Shockwave as well. Media Player Classic, SoThink's FLV player as well.

Don't know about iTunes messing up YT feasibility though.

Did you try Google Chrome perhaps? That's a good mate, given the parent company being Google

All YT vids stream under IE to the Internet temp file cache, if successful, and you can drop and drag FLV files you like from there to folders anywhere on your system. You never need any download of YT video tools as long as they stream OK.

Moderators here might think I'm going above and beyond the issue, but I inform of this so you can also check there in Control Panel to see if FLV files are saving to the Temp folder, at all

Edited by Slamman

I'm using IE, and tried firefox, but it made no difference.

Im afraid a 'format c:' is in order confused.gif

Have you try doing the following method provided by Google?

Video Player Issues: The video won't play

Print

Videos on YouTube are streamed through Adobe Flash player. If you're having trouble playing and viewing videos YouTube, we suggest you install the latest version of the Flash player: this will allow you to easily play YouTube videos.

Here's how to upgrade to the most recent version of Adobe's Flash Player:

Before installing the most recent version of Adobe Flash player, you will need to first uninstall any older versions of the Flash player you've installed in the past and currently have running on your computer.

Please completely uninstall the version of Flash you're currently running, before upgrading to the most recent version. To uninstall Flash, follow Adobe's instructions, listed here. You'll need to download Adobe's official Uninstaller to remove Flash.

Once you've uninstalled the older version of Flash, you'll be ready to upgrade to the most recent version of Flash.

To upgrade to the most recent version of the Flash player, please follow these steps:

Follow Adobe's instructions for reinstalling the most recent version of Flash.

Once you've downloaded the latest version of Adobe Flash, please exit your browser.

Finally, click to install the update that you just downloaded to your computer from the Adobe Flash site.

Once you've done so, open your browser again and go to YouTube. You should now be able so successfully watch videos!

If the instructions above don't resolve the issue, please also try the following:

Temporarily disable popup blocking software installed on your computer to test.

Allow YouTube.com as a trusted site in your Firewall software.

Ensure other applications like Quicktime, iTunes, Real Player, or Windows Media Player aren't set as the default streaming application, as this might affect the video player.

For Windows Vista users:

If the Flash uninstall / reinstall does not work this maybe due to a Microsoft Windows Vista permissions issue.

Please use the Windows button at the bottom left then the search function:

Go to: C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\.

Right-click on the following file: FlashUtil9b.exe or FlashUtil9e.exe.

Select "Run as Administrator" and install the update..

Restart your computer.

Source

Before doing a format try running adware and spyware removers such as Spybot Search N Destroy and Lavasoft Adware Free. Also run CCleaner to remove old temporary Internet files also scan the registry with it to fix possible errors. Reformatting should be your last resort because if everything else is working great on your PC and this is the only issue you're having? IMO It's not worth wiping out the whole drive when the fix is a lot simpler. smile.gif

Edited by pcguytech_2005

Before I started using So Think, I used VideoLAN but there was another FLV player that worked for embedded video, mostly online but designed for local content and working offline as well. I can't really recall which one it was, so I'll check my older drives and submit that for an option. Earlier, I suggested Google's Chrome because they bought YouTube from the two guys who started the company, some years back. When you go to YouYube they advise you to upgrade if you're on Windows 2000 for example (and associated browsers)

I even moved Apple Safari to this new laptop setup, however, I'd heard of security problems with Safari and stopped using it, I believe it's patched up by now