3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Pico

Tech General Chat

Cursed

I'd probably stick with the P182 over the 1200. They're alright, but there are definetly much better cases out there.

ptiko
I'd probably stick with the P182 over the 1200. They're alright, but there are definetly much better cases out there.

I never bothered

and it went for 67 pounds sad.gif

XMike

I gained a lot of respect for HP tonight. My brothers own a HP desktop that's like 4 years old and the warranty's been up for 3 years. It hasn't been working and we called in tonight and it was confirmed the motherboard was done. They're offering to repair it for free along with free shipping on a 4 year old computer, pretty nice if you ask me.

Pico

Wow, that's awesome Xmike! I hope you get it back fixed and with out a bill though... keep us updated.

ptiko

Anyone seen the pre-order prices of the 32nm 6 core i7? OH GOD, OH MAN.

Just think, 2 of them, overclocked on a EVGA W555 board sly.gif

Pico

They're damn expensive. I sure as sh*t wouldn't waste my money on them just yet. Give them about 6 months and they'll probably have "lower end" (if that's possible with a 6 core i7) ones that cost at least half as much.

I'm still rockin 2 cores from like 3-4 years ago (C2D E6600 OCd to 3.0Ghz). It's doing good enough for now, although I'd love a quad core with a couple more gigs of RAM. My GPU is good enough for me, I don't really game.

ptiko
They're damn expensive. I sure as sh*t wouldn't waste my money on them just yet.

Neither would I, but we can dream right?

I'm up for getting a new case in a few weeks or months. Cant be bothered with modding my P182. I would end up spending way too much money on it, and could have bought a better case instead! Ive got about £200 to spend on a case, so could some one give me some suggestions? I don't mind going over it!

There's a few i like, Silverstone Fortress FT02B-W! Corsair 800D and maybe Lian Li PC-X1000. Don't know what to go for if something else doesn't pop up! I just want something that's all black, sleek, with a window to show off my fancy hardware. The X1000 doesn't have one, but design and dimensions make up for it!

Pico

sh*t, when it comes to spending that much on just the case, it's hard to suggest anything. Most cases in that price range are good quality, so it just comes to what you need space for and what you think looks good. I'm sure you could find one with an LCD display for temps and stuff as well. I've always wanted one with that...

Pico

Double post bampalamp.

Got a new keyboard biggrin.gif

My last one worked fine... but it was 3 years old. And ugly. And dirty. And a little too big. And I type a lot in the dark so I've been DYING to get one with back lighting.

Again, I went with Logitech on this purchase. I got the Logitech "Illuminated Keyboard." Fancy name, huh? It's got a nice slim profile, the keys have some awesome action and they're quiet as hell compared to my last keyboard which gave out loud 'click-clack-clicks' making it hard to watch movies or fall asleep when my brother is on the computer. Compared to my last keyboard it's virtually silent, lol. Also, the backlight is great. It's got 3 or 4 brightness levels which is nice. I think I'll leave it on the lowest one during the day and see how it goes at night (haven't had it more than an hour and it's the early evening still).

Also, I really, really... really really want a new Android phone tounge.gif

My G1 is getting outdated in terms of Android phones, being first generation and all. Sure it's got 1.6 on it, and I've got it rooted so I've got even more goodies on it. But it's not quick enough. And the screen has developed a bazillion tiny scratches over time, lol.

Since I'm tied to T-mobile, I'll probably wait until they get their next superphone. Which all sources are pointing at the Samsung Galaxy S. Quick specs on it:

4" Super AMOLED touch screen (Samsung's own tech, should look AMAZING!)

1GHz Processor

Best graphics on any cellphone out right now (by 3-5 times, 90 million tris per second)

5.0MP camera with Samsungs point and shoot style camera software built in, and 720p video recording (no flash though! wtf?!)

Android 2.1 with Samsung's customized TouchWiz 3.0 interface

8/16GB versions with additional SD slot for up to 32GB

Basically it's f*cking amazing tounge.gif

My only problem is the lack of a hardware keyboard, but I know I'll get used to the softkeys. I use them from time to time on my G1 when I'm too lazy to slide the phone open. I'm hoping it stays at the $200 price range with a new contract, even if that's just the 8GB version. Anymore and it won't really be doable for me...

anus
They're damn expensive. I sure as sh*t wouldn't waste my money on them just yet.

Neither would I, but we can dream right?

I'm up for getting a new case in a few weeks or months. Cant be bothered with modding my P182. I would end up spending way too much money on it, and could have bought a better case instead! Ive got about £200 to spend on a case, so could some one give me some suggestions? I don't mind going over it!

There's a few i like, Silverstone Fortress FT02B-W! Corsair 800D and maybe Lian Li PC-X1000. Don't know what to go for if something else doesn't pop up! I just want something that's all black, sleek, with a window to show off my fancy hardware. The X1000 doesn't have one, but design and dimensions make up for it!

If you're air cooling the HAF932 wins hands down. If you're water cooling though the 800D is better smile.gif.

ptiko

Illuminated keyboards are awesome, I was never much for the chunky logitech ones though!

Isn't the Samsung Galaxy S the iphone beater? I'd rather have that than that over hyped apple crap. Wasn't that the first phone with a HD video recorder built in aswell?

@Warlord: I wasn't much for the HAF, not my style. I was considering watercooling but its way to expensive for what I need. Maybe in the future sometime, and Im feeling daring! I think I'm going for sliverstone! But for some reason, Its gone up in price recently mad.gif

Pico

The keyboard I got is skinny as hell, here's a link to it.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/ke...rd/devices/4740

I was thinking about getting the G10 for the extra buttons and features, but it was too bulky and I didn't like the keyshape and height at all!

The Galaxy S isn't out yet, you're probably thinking of the Nexus One which was called the iPhone killer... before it came out. It's pretty much bombed. Only sold like 20,000 the first week (or weekend?), far less than the Droid did. As far as I know, no Android phone does HD video yet, the N1 only does standard def.

The HTC Incredible has all the hardware to do it and it'll be released in just over a week, but for some reason the software doesn't allow it.

The first ones to do it, unless a phone pops up out of nowhere in the mean time, is the Samsung Galaxy S (5mp) and the HTC EVO 4G (8mp). They'll each record at 720p, I believe. And as far as I know, no other phones have done HD recording yet.

LCstuntman

I got the same keyboard about 2 months ago, Pico colgate.gif I love how thin in is, it looks great on my desk, not to mention the awesome lights. The only problem I have with it is that I can't use more than 3 keys at once, like most keyboards not specifically designed for gaming confused.gif It's annoying as hell sometimes, but I've pretty much gotten used to it, and I saw that coming anyways when I decided to get one not advertised for gaming.

anus
Illuminated keyboards are awesome, I was never much for the chunky logitech ones though!

Isn't the Samsung Galaxy S the iphone beater? I'd rather have that than that over hyped apple crap. Wasn't that the first phone with a HD video recorder built in aswell?

@Warlord: I wasn't much for the HAF, not my style. I was considering watercooling but its way to expensive for what I need. Maybe in the future sometime, and Im feeling daring! I think I'm going for sliverstone! But for some reason, Its gone up in price recently mad.gif

The Silverstone case is really good too. You won't be disappointed smile.gif.

Pico
I got the same keyboard about 2 months ago, Pico colgate.gif I love how thin in is, it looks great on my desk, not to mention the awesome lights. The only problem I have with it is that I can't use more than 3 keys at once, like most keyboards not specifically designed for gaming confused.gif It's annoying as hell sometimes, but I've pretty much gotten used to it, and I saw that coming anyways when I decided to get one not advertised for gaming.

Oooohh... well my brother games. So hopefully it doesn't screw him up with that. If it does, oh well tounge.gif

He hasn't complained about it yet...

Cursed

I think I'd go for the 800D. The cable management is brilliant and it's very understated. The styling of the HAF and the fact it sucks in so much dust really doesn't appeal to me.

PresidentKiller

Back-lit keyboards are awesome indeed. biggrin.gif

user posted image

That one is great, and is somewhat good for gaming too. Too bad it was expensive as hell as it comes with a laser mouse and a charger (the charger is crap, tho). notify.gif

Edited by PresidentKiller

ptiko

Slim keyboards like that are awesome for gaming, I'll end up getting that razer one.

I like the 800D, but its overpriced for what it is and its not a good aircooler from what Ive read on review sites and OCuk forums.

Cursed

I've heard that about the air-cooling too. I'm not sure I would spend that much on a case at all though. If I did I'd probably look at a Lian Li.

ptiko

Ive finally found a job over at lymedale business park. Of course, I'll have a steady income, first things first, I wanna spend some more on my PC and get it finished. Now I'm considering water cooling, just the CPU for starters! Chances are, I'll go for the 800D. I have ideas on how to do water cooling, but never really looked into it. Just wondering what type of CPU water block, pump, radiator and so on are actually good! I dont think money will be an issue anymore tounge.gif

anus

Well if money isn't an issue, here's a setup:

CPU block: EK Supreme HF Nickel

Reservoir and pump: XSPC DDC 18W

Radiator: Aquacomputer Evo 1080

Fans for radiator: 9x Akasa AK-FN059

Tubing: 2x Tygon 3/8" tubing (two because you'll need atleast 6 feet of tubing. I chose black but there are other colours)

Coolant: FluidXP+ Dr Jerkyl (again there are other colours/names tounge.gif)

Remember you'll need barbs, clamps for the hoses and other fittings too. Get them according to how your tubing goes. But I recommend going with nickel for them.

Also remember to ALWAYS use distilled water always and to always use coolant.

Ryan

On the topic of water cooling, am I the only one here who finds it kind of funny that newegg sells all the components for water cooling except the tubing? lol.gif

Cursed
On the topic of water cooling, am I the only one here who finds it kind of funny that newegg sells all the components for water cooling except the tubing? lol.gif

Meh. Just use a bit of old hosepipe. It doesn't really matter if it has a few holes in it. All adds to the character.

ptiko

D:

I didn't expect you to suggest that kind of rad! I will end up using most of the stuff in the list. I was considering a triple to fit the roof of the 800D, but Ive seen a guy mod it to fit a quad rad nicely! So I may do that! It was a guy who works at OCuk. Shame they never gave me a job sad.gif I would have loved working there.

anus

Haha yeah the radiator is pretty extreme tounge.gif. But I thought, hey, since money ain't an issue tounge.gif..

Oh and for a case, you may want to consider the Coolermaster ATCS840 too. It's pretty good for watercooling smile.gif.

Ryan

Recently, I've been looking into water cooling. I plan on upgrading my PC in the next few months. Going to replace my motherboard with the Asus P6X58D Premium and replace my case with the Antec Twelve Hundred. Everything else I'm going to salvage. GFX card, RAM, CPU, ext.. I was going to replace my CPU cooler with the the Corsair H50 water cooler, however I started to look at a custom water cooling set up instead.

I've been doing quite a bit of reading on it the last few days and I think I have a fairly good grasp on how it works, however I still have a few questions. For now, I'd just like to keep it simple and only cool my CPU. I know what I need all, but I don't understand what the fittings/barbs/camps are for. Can someone clarify this for me please.

I'm currently looking at this setup.

CPU Block: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...acture=Swiftech

Radiator: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...acture=Swiftech - The Antec Twelve Hundred has two 120mm fans in the rear that I could use with this. Also has a built in reservoir.

Pump: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...acture=Swiftech

Tubing: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...ture=Primochill

Coolant: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...ure=Feser%20One

Would that duel 120mm radiator be enough to cool my i7 920, or would I need a quad/tri fan rad? I decided to go with the clear tubing and the blue coolant to match the blue case fans inside the case. Would look pretty sick I think. If there's anything I'm missing, can someone please point it out and suggest something for it.

Edited by Unlimited

ptiko

I would imagine a dual rad keeping a i7 cool pretty well. The corsair H50 does an okay-ish job with just a single one, on a 4Ghz overclock on load is about 60-65c. Push/pull config as well.

I'll be looking around and reading into it a lot before I start getting parts. I still think I will go for the corsair 800D and mod the roof to fit a quad rad. It looks pretty simple to do. Like this.

Also, doesn't removing the heatsinks from the motherboard to fit waterblocks void your mobo's warranty?

Ryan
Also, doesn't removing the heatsinks from the motherboard to fit waterblocks void your mobo's warranty?

Yes it does.

ptiko

Thought so, just wondered with people using "aftermarket" ones since the motherboard I have has a water-block already on the motherboard like so.

user posted image

Cursed

I wish my motherboard wasn't so ugly. It's a total mismatch of colours and capacitors. Next time I buy one I think I'll take appearance into consideration too. Something colour coded would be nice.