2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Pico

Tech General Chat

Presidential

I'm the exact opposite of you then. I just got a Sony and am loving being off of iOS. I feel like I could do whatever with my Android vs what I could do with my iPhone. I disliked almost everything about my iPhone. I do agree with you about a lot of Android phones coming with bloatware though. 

AiraCobra

I heard the only Android OS device that isn't stacked with unremovable bloatware is the Google Pixel I heard it comes to you clean void of apps that you can't delete.

Noale

Anyone know what specs I need to look at for a uninterruptable power supply?

I just need to have a back up in case power does go out (like it did a few weeks ago), so I can save my work with the few extra minutes it gives me.

Let's just assume current and future rigs are going to be running triple SLI just to play it extra safe. I have no idea how to calculate UPS requirements.

HaRdSTyLe_83
Posted (edited)

i would say enough watts for the power supply that you have in that pc + a few extra for the monitor

im sure you have at least a 80Plus PSU (power factor 0.9) so anything around 1500VA will be enough for 1300w

Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83

SilverRST

So my current Huawei P8Max has its battery being decreasing a bit the pas weeks and am looking for a new phone.

The ones on my list are:

Huawei Mate 20 non-pro (I dislike 18:9)

Nokia 6.1 2018

Vivo Nex 8 (It's not clear when it will launch to me)

Xiaomi also got my attention but not sure which one. I do not like the notch and want a smartphone that's 6" or bigger.

Dealux

Whatever you get, make sure to charge your phone regularly. Preferably before it drops below 50%. I'm still using my old OnePlus One and the battery still holds up well today but I charge it frequently (i.e. I don't let it discharge really low).

K^2

Got to try Cybershoes at TGS. They aren't bad, and the price is very reasonable. If you have a VR set, definitely worth checking out.

Purevil

Is movement on par with a thumbstick controller? 

Interesting product.  I'll be keeping on eye on those lmaoshoes. 

K^2
43 minutes ago, Purevil said:

Is movement on par with a thumbstick controller?

Not quite. You can't strafe, at least, with the model they had to try, and while you can certainly control how fast you're moving, it wasn't quite as precise as with a controller. It's not perfectly one-to-one, unfortunately. That said, locomotion felt fairly natural. I just went where I wanted to go without thinking about it, and I wasn't as aware of the fact that I'm sitting on a chair as I thought I would be. It absolutely beats using Vivle's touch controls for moving, and I don't think it's that far off from what you get with various omni "treadmills".

Unless you are planning to spend thousands of dollars on your VR setup, this is currently the best way to play open-world VR games, IMO. I can't wait to do a fresh walkthrough of Skyrim with these.

Dealux

BjUKnXG.png

ISP doubled my Internet speed (sort of, I was on 500 Mb\200 Mb but it was faster than that) and now I only pay $20. Pretty neat. I wish my ping was lower though.

Presidential

Damn American internet. Wish I had even half your speed. 

Straypuft
1 hour ago, Presidential said:

Dont worry, 10 years from now, 90% of the USA will have that speed, But, The rest of the world will be 100 times faster.

HaRdSTyLe_83
9 hours ago, Presidential said:

that is bcuz they created their own local ethernet networks, so when internet providers came, they needed to offer a much better product.

Dealux

There's plenty of ISP competition where I live which explains the prices and decent services. I can name at least 4 major ISPs off the top of my head.

13 hours ago, Presidential said:

My download speeds are never that high though. I think ~66 MB\s (a bit over 500 Mb\s) was the max I got with a Google Drive download. Steam is 40-60 MB\s down typically. Xbox\Windows Store is 15+ MB\s.

Edited by Dealux

sivispacem

Latest X99A MPOWER BIOS (needed for NVME support) is causing all sorts of OC headaches.

Previously completely stable at 4.2GHz, default voltage with +0.050v offset, but won't even POST in the new BIOS. Had to reset using the backup BIOS.

4.2GHz, adaptive & offset +0.025v will POST but Windows BSODs.

Oddly, 4.2GHz at fixed 1.125v is totally stable at 24 passes of IntelBurnTest on High, even though it's the same peak voltage as +0.050 offset.

Will have to try 4.5GHz at 1.2v in the morning which was my previous stable peak.

Straypuft
7 hours ago, Dealux said:

There's plenty of ISP competition where I live which explains the prices and decent services. I can name at least 4 major ISPs off the top of my head.

Here in the USA, 90% of the country only has 2 main options and they sometimes should never be called competition, You have cable providing the faster speeds, The cable companies will refuse to share utility poles with any other cable company that wants in the area. then you have the slower DSL on aging telephone lines, The DSL companies are usually ran by phone companies who want to end their support for wired options and push their wireless product so they arent putting much money into upgrading their phone lines. If fiber wants to move in, then they have to fight the cable and phone companies who are making laws to prevent internet companies from moving into their territory.

Dealux

Used to be on DSL myself a few years back when another major ISP was offering fiber at decent speeds. I was planning on ending the contract for a long time and then my ISP decided to switch to fiber. A while later they got bought off by Deutsche Telekom and their services have improved a lot. Not to mention the prices.

Although they don't necessarily have the best infrastructure and equipment. Ping could be a lot better but I don't really play online games so it's fine. Watching 4K videos on YouTube is no longer an issue.

sivispacem

Finally got things stable. 4.5GHz all six cores, HT and all other functionality still enabled, 1.215v fixed VCORE. 24 runs of IBT/High demonstrates stable, with a peak package temp of 75c and a peak core temp on #2 of 70c.

Not as good as on the previous BIOS, where I hit the same figure on 1.200v; how much of this is BIOS and how much is an artefact of other system changes I don't know.

zlry43.jpg

So:

4.2GHz, stock voltage + 0.050v offset = Fail to boot

4.2GHz, adaptive voltage + 0.025v offset = BSOD on boot

4.2GHz, fixed 1.125v = PASS IntelBurnTest, 24/24 runs on High

4.5GHz, fixed 1.200v = FAIL IntelBurnTest, 4/24 runs on High

4.5GHz, fixed 1.215v = PASS IntelBurnTest, 24/24 runs on High

I've dialed the fans back from Default to Quiet mode and will monitor temps, but still pretty happy with the binning of this chip. Got to be top ~5% for a 5820k.

Spider-Vice

Microcode update? Those can be nasty for overclocks too.

sivispacem
4 hours ago, Spider-Vice said:

Microcode update? Those can be nasty for overclocks too.

Yeah, the BIOS contains the Microcode bug fixes for Spectre/Meltdown which are supposed to have had a detrimental effect on CPU performance. Especially in older (Haswell/Broadwell era) chips.

That said, the PassMark CPU score from the most recent runs (16,987) puts it about parallel with the far newer Ryzen 7 2700X (16,955) and i7-8086K (16,825).

109442613824.png

Not bad for a processor from Q3 2014.

sivispacem

Started sourcing parts for a partial rebuild. Already got the 970 Evo up and running,  EKWB heatsink for that has arrived. Ordered an NZXT Kraken X62 280mm AIO, plus a custom PSU cover from US eBay. Next will be ordering some proper braided cables from ShakMods, plus a few other bits to help tidy things up.

Still toying with going custom loop but as I'm moving my system quite a lot (gaming with a few colleagues at the office quite regularly) don't think it's the right time yet, so I'll pop the stuff I've already sources away until I can build a mini system as well.

sivispacem

About 24 hours from "accidently" winning two waterblocked GTX1080Tis on eBay...