Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (86,253 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Pico

Tech General Chat

Audi

My 1440 monitor went on sale just when I was in the market. $400 before tax. Only 24" display but has gsync and 165Hz refresh rate so I'm happy. The 27" version was also on sale but for around $500.

deadx23
Posted (edited)

So guys, is it normal for my PC to burst into flame's? <Sigh> I need a new motherboard, what are the chances of my CPU,GPU is ok and unaffected?

The last thing I was doing was playing star citizen and it just turned off, when I tried to turn it back on I saw a flame coming out of my motherboard :cry:

Edited by deadx23

HaRdSTyLe_83

So guys, is it normal for my PC to burst into flame's? <Sigh> I need a new motherboard, what are the chances of my CPU,GPU is ok and unaffected?

The last thing I was doing was playing star citizen and it just turned off, when I tried to turn it back on I saw a flame coming out of my motherboard :cry:

you pc didn't met the minimum requirements :p /jk

no way to tell unless you take all the parts and try individually.

yoječ

I'd hazard a guess that the CPU might be fried. The most likely thing on the mobo to burst into flames are the CPU VRMs. The rest of the systems should probably be okay... I guess. If the CPU is still under warranty you shouldn't worry about it too much, as long as it bears no obvious visual mechanical defects it will get replaced.

May I ask what's the mobo and the CPU in question? (possibly an AMD FX CPU on a MSI mobo?)

deadx23

I'd hazard a guess that the CPU might be fried. The most likely thing on the mobo to burst into flames are the CPU VRMs. The rest of the systems should probably be okay... I guess. If the CPU is still under warranty you shouldn't worry about it too much, as long as it bears no obvious visual mechanical defects it will get replaced.

May I ask what's the mobo and the CPU in question? (possibly an AMD FX CPU on a MSI mobo?)

it is a amd fx-8370 and msi, I'll have to check if I do have warranty. Thanks

Presidential

Any reason you guessed (and were right) it was a MSI mobo with an AMD FX?

yoječ

I asked just because of pure curiousity. I feel like whenever I hear about a fried mobo, more often than not it was a MSI. Couple that with the fact that AMD FX CPUs are known for overheating the VRMs on low- to mid-end mobos...

Blaze

9590 literal f*cking house fire

Shaytan

Since July 2016 I've been using my Samsung J3 2016 to replace the Core Prime that got stolen. Until now I had mixed feelings about it, but overall it's a pretty usable device as long as you don't expect it to run the heaviest games or apps. I'm still hugely let down by my biggest complain about it - lack of OS support. Samsung really let down its users by releasing it with the even then outdated version 5.1 of Android, which I expected to be upgraded but it wasn't. They've released about twice a year security patches, but they officially stated the one released on January of this year would be the last, having no support anymore.

Less and less compatibility with new apps' features and even apps altogether, security concerns and the fact I can't use the SD card as part of the main storage to compensate the only 8Gb of storage are my biggest complain, yet in terms of hardware the device is completely usable for me, it doesn't justify buying a new one for now. So, since I only have a few couple months of warranty left, I thought it might be the perfect time to void it by installing a custom ROM to solve my issues. Only recently the available ROMs for it became usable enough to replace the stability of the stock OS, so I'm pondering to attempt flashing the unofficial LineageOS 14.1 ROM well acclaimed around XDA.

Before you suggest me to sell it (which I could totally do, they still sell brand new around here and didn't lost much value after 2 years), while I buy and sell crap all the time, my experience in the used smartphone market tells me they're a magnet for scammers and stupid people (mainly low-end devices - I had to quit selling an old Samsung because I'd receive messages from people who couldn't even write properly that would annoy the f*ck out of me for an entire afternoon, just to quit responding me next day and not even having the decency of telling me they're not interested anymore, this doesn't happen in literally any other type of crap I've sold), so I'll most likely giving it to my father at some point who's just getting into smartphones.

luisniko

I have Asus transformer 300 purchased some time around 2013. Bought it second hand from someone who never really used it. I used it almost everyday mainly for typing and sometimes for presentation, so it had a good run.

Now it's really slow. Been like this since 3-2 years ago. Even typing this is agoniziñgly slow. Is this tablet pretty much done for?

Dealux
Posted (edited)

We might see real time ray tracing in games in the next couple of years (if NVIDIA does the right thing and pushes this technology into the mainstream). It will be huge if it happens, akin to the jump from 2D to 3D. Photorealistic graphics are on the horizon. They just need the right software and hardware level optimizations to make these complex light computations doable in real time.

Edited by Dealux

Noale

Does anyone know of any Macbook like keyboard/trackpad combos that work for PC? I need it to be wireless.

I've been looking for a wireless keyboard and mouse so I could just sit far from my PC and use a TV as a monitor. But figured that I can just skip having the mouse and just get a wireless keyboard with a built in trackpad. The Macbook has no additional buttons for clicking, the pad itself is clickable. A lot of the KB/Trackpad combos have the two separate left/right buttons which I don't like. There's one by the brand 1byone but it seems sketchy.

Dealux

Does anyone know of any Macbook like keyboard/trackpad combos that work for PC? I need it to be wireless.

I've been looking for a wireless keyboard and mouse so I could just sit far from my PC and use a TV as a monitor. But figured that I can just skip having the mouse and just get a wireless keyboard with a built in trackpad. The Macbook has no additional buttons for clicking, the pad itself is clickable. A lot of the KB/Trackpad combos have the two separate left/right buttons which I don't like. There's one by the brand 1byone but it seems sketchy.

Logitech makes some keyboards like that but this one's a bit pricy: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Illuminated-Living-Keyboard-QWERTY/dp/B00J22RU5A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523288187&sr=8-1&keywords=Logitech+K830&dpID=319ks1OfKxL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

All trackpads are "clickable" AFAIK but there's no way to right click on a trackpad so you need a separate button for that. They include a left click as well but you can click and double click on a trackpad as you would on a mouse.

 dice
Posted (edited)

Mind reading (pre-learned muscle reading, limited to a few dozen words) is finally here

MIT researchers have developed a computer interface that can transcribe words that the user verbalizes internally but does not actually speak aloud.

http://news.mit.edu/2018/computer-system-transcribes-words-users-speak-silently-0404

Still a very impressive feat

Edited by  dice

Noale

All trackpads are "clickable" AFAIK but there's no way to right click on a trackpad so you need a separate button for that. They include a left click as well but you can click and double click on a trackpad as you would on a mouse.

I actually went with the K830 and we'll see how good it is.

As for right clicking on a trackpad. Two finger tap on my Macbook Pro functions as right click. No clicking or buttons needed.

Dealux

I might buy the Sennheiser HD800 this summer\fall. I gotta look into this bright treble aspect more though and will likely need a a powerful amp\DAC. Focal Utopia was also a consideration but saving up to $3K is too daunting. The 800 could be endgame headphones for a good while.

Quinn_flower
Posted (edited)

Should I wait for the next gen cards or drop 800 on a 1080 ti

I don't even get 60 fps anymore with the newer titles like ac orgins or far cry 5. It's usually 45fps and below.

I using a i7 6700hq and I'm thinking that it's time to update. To a desktop gpu.

Edited by Quinn_flower

Andreaz1

Since the 6700HQ is a laptop chip I have severe doubts you even can upgrade your GPU. What machine do you have?

Quinn_flower
Posted (edited)

Since the 6700HQ is a laptop chip I have severe doubts you even can upgrade your GPU. What machine do you have?

alienware 17 r4 i have the graphics amp as well. i7 6700hq with a 1070 inside.

Edited by Quinn_flower

HaRdSTyLe_83

nice way to burn money i say, the external docking station for the GPU will not have the same performance as the desktop

Quinn_flower
Posted (edited)

nice way to burn money i say, the external docking station for the GPU will not have the same performance as the desktop

I got it for 80 usd new is like almost 200. It doesn't use thunderbolt it has its own port for it in the back Edited by Quinn_flower

HaRdSTyLe_83

I got it for 80 usd new is like almost 200. It doesn't use thunderbolt it has its own port for it in the back

does it use PCIE lane? i doubt that

Quinn_flower

I got it for 80 usd new is like almost 200. It doesn't use thunderbolt it has its own port for it in the back

It does. It uses four dedicated lanes gen 3

Andreaz1

It uses 4 gen 3 PCI-E lanes. While I haven't seen any direct attempts at comparison with the "real" thing, it doesn't seem bad.

TheMcSame
Posted (edited)

Going purely by PCIe lanes, it shouldn't vary too much. The biggest factor would be the proprietary connector and how much issues that throws up. At 1080p x4 is usually only a few frames down on x8, and the difference shrinks as the resolution goes up.

Edited by TheMcSame

Blaze

HaRdSTyLe_83

It does. It uses four dedicated lanes gen 3

i stand corrected then, but is x4 PCIE enough, or is it bottlenecked compared to the x16.

i really dont understand the point of this external cases. it's not portable at all, you are not going to carry it around and if you going to get a case for your GPU, for the retail price, you can get a case... and a motherboard.... and a CPU :p

Quinn_flower

so should i buy 1080 ti black edition or wait for next gen card?

Andreaz1
Posted (edited)

so should i buy 1080 ti black edition or wait for next gen card?

Given that we know literally nothing about any of the next gen cards you're just asking us to pretend we're psychic. The successor to the 1080 Ti will probably not be launched together with the first cards anyway so if that's what you want you'll be waiting a long time. Edited by Andreaz1