3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

08LasVenturas

How will we pronounce "The 2010s"?

08LasVenturas

Since there is just a little over a month left of the current decade & the 2010s drawing near, I think it's time to answer a long-debated question. We still haven't decided on what to call the new decade!

Should it be the "Two-thousand Tens", "The Twenty-Tens", "The Teens",? What do you think? lol.gif

Slamman

Yeah, it's awkward, I can see that, didn't lose sleep over it though. 20-10 rolls off the lips ok.

The 10 decade, perhaps??

Carnage1120

probably just the last 2 numbers.

We would probably just call it ten, eleven, twelve, ect.

twenty ten is already being used alot

darthYENIK

I'm going for "the twenty teens".

I'm just happy we're going to soon be out of the 00s. Saying twenty "oh" nine etc. doesn't roll off the tongue the way twenty ten, or twenty fifteen do.

Edited by darthYENIK

AnotherDave
I'm going for "the twenty teens".

It would be twenteens surely? But it can't be teen until 2013 anyway.

Twenty ten and twenty twelve (because of the olympics) are the two I hear the most so I suppose that's the way it'll go, but it'll get quite syllable heavy come twenty eleven or two thousand and seventeen.

Don Garcia

I love hearing, "Oh Ten."

08LasVenturas

but it'll get quite syllable heavy come twenty eleven or two thousand and seventeen.

I'm calling it the "Twenty Tens", but I cringe whenever I see commercials advertising "The Two-thousand Ten..." or the movie 2012 pronounced as "Two Thousand Twelve". What's going to happen once years like 2017 come, will people still call it "Two Thousand and Seventeen"? lol.gif

But I also like the Twenty-ten pronunciation because it sounds different turn.gif

Cilogy

Well what did we say for the 1910-1919 decade?

The "nineteen-tens" right? Why not call this next one the "twenty-tens," it makes the most sense.

?!=+_-

I agree with you cilogy, you wouldn't call 1910 the year one thousand nine hundred and ten but the good thing about now is that you can use anything really without it just being too long. So two thousand and ten is just as good as twenty ten I think.

Edited by MarcoTheftAuto

Graphix14

I'm going for the Twenty-Tens.

buffalosoulj4h20

We should do everything over again. Bring back the 80's when it's 2080.

08LasVenturas

I think the 2010s will be THE rehash of the 80s. Because they say "Every 30 years generations repeat themselves", and that's right.

We're in a technology boom (The 80s had Macintosh & IBM, we have iPhones and laptops), the 80s & the 2010s both started out in a recession, the music is similar (things like synthpop & electropop are back), the fashions are making a HUGE comeback, and 8-s culture is now perceived as cool (as opposed to how it was viewed 10 yrs ago).

CryptReaperDorian

Well, for sure it'll be the twenty-tens and twenty-teens while those are incorrect pronounciations. Twenty-ten is still quite quicker to say than two-thousand ten though.

SanAndreasManiac

I think the 2010s will be THE rehash of the 80s. Because they say "Every 30 years generations repeat themselves", and that's right.

We're in a technology boom (The 80s had Macintosh & IBM, we have iPhones and laptops), the 80s & the 2010s both started out in a recession, the music is similar (things like synthpop & electropop are back), the fashions are making a HUGE comeback, and 8-s culture is now perceived as cool (as opposed to how it was viewed 10 yrs ago).

well, cool theory, i wish it could be true, I would love to visit the 80's, and since the String Theory f*cks up with our time-traveling dreams, the rehash would be awesome

Carnage1120

I'm hoping for flying cars

scarp1996

I'm hoping for flying cars

I hope for the power glove-oh wait! Its already invented inlove.gif

Mince

I dunno. twenty-ten seems like it's a bit more popular, but I still like two thousand-ten better.

Although it will get a bit annoying to say once we get to "two thousand-seventeen" confused.gif.

CryptReaperDorian

When will we get our Domestobots? Domo Origato Domestoboto. angry.gif

Pico
Well what did we say for the 1910-1919 decade?

The "nineteen-tens" right? Why not call this next one the "twenty-tens," it makes the most sense.

Yeah, sounds right to me.

A side note, I've always wanted to start saying the years in the 2010's as "twenty-ten" and the like, but I always find myself saying "two thousand 10" or something like when referring to future car models. Imo, it makes more sense. Just like we said "nine-teen-ninety-six" or something. But since it's been the first decade the past ten years, saying "two-thousand-nine" and the likes has been too ingrained. Gotta stop that tounge.gif

macorules94

How Crap.

Now, at School in Australia, the year 12 leavers, for 2010, on the back of their leavers jacket, it'll say, 10. And for mine it'll say, 11. My sisters says 09. 00's look better. lol imagine the ones' that say, 00

Exkabewbikadid

Everybody keeps talking about the wording of each individual year, but not the name of the decade collectively.

I don't even know what this decade is supposed to be called. The Naughties? That just sounds ghey as does teenies for the next decade. sh*t won't get right again until the 20's - now there's a decade if I've ever seen one. Too bad everyone's gonna die before then.

Benjimino234

Twenty Ten is cool.

Wait until 2020 comes. It's been the most coolest year for like movies or games....

"In 2020, The dead walk the Earth." [/dramaticvoice] or some sh*t like that. lol.gif

poopskin

Twenty-Ten. Just like Nineteen-ninety, Eighteen-Eighty, Seventeen-Seventy, and so on.

Don Garcia

All this talk of what to call our upcoming years/decades makes me so bummed for our lack of personal jetpacks, hovercars, etc.

The Guru

I remember there being a topic just like this sometime back. Anyway, twenty-ten sounds more like what I would say and when I talk about the movie 2012, I say twenty-twelve.

TWENTY-TEN

93Sean93

Twenty-Ten. At least i hope so.

Ilya

The dimes.

If you, ain't up, on thangs.

Cursed

I've been saying years in this decade like "Two thousand and one" and "Two thousand and nine" simply because the millenium was called "Two thousand". I know that in other countries it has been said differently, but mostly in the UK it is said the way I say it. As for this decade collectivley I'd say "noughties". It doesn't sound very good, but neither do the alternatives.

Then for 2010+ I'll be using "Twenty ten" and "Twenty twelve" etc. since it is a bit of a mouthful saying "Two thousand and twelve". I'd say the media has really decided how I'm going to say it. As for the decade, I think the twenty tens sounds best, having two names for one decade is a bit weird (Twenty tens and Twenty teens). It didn't happen in 1910-1919 so I don't see why now.

Fnorg

I've been using "oh-year". "Oh-ten" will still technically work, so I'm all set.

Mullets are alread back in fashion over here. And I'm not joking.

BTW.. What will we call the people who join GTAF next year?

Oh-eighters, oh-niners, tenners? That just doesn´t sound right.

Now, eleveners has some cool super villan sound to it.