2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

damian001

Things that could've improved tBoGT

damian001

Now a full week has passed since the release of The Ballad of Gay Tony, and hopefully enough of us have had the opportunity to fully explore the new features of tBoGT. Now personally, I love the DLC. I love the new features and the storyline. But there's still much left to be desired. So I created this topic for other members of GTAForums to provide their input on what could've been added in tBoGT.

Bahama Mama's

user posted image

Probably the biggest complaint I've seen on the forums so far is the inability to enter Bahama Mama's except for only one mission. Before and after that, it's always closed. It's a big disappointment because out of the three nightclubs, it's the biggest and seems the most vibrant. It's even more of a letdown because Bahama Mama's was originally supposed to be the strip club for Algonquin in vanilla GTA IV. I thought it would've been nice to have Bahamas Mama's re-opened in tBoGT and have fun with that sick dancefloor heavily depicted in the first trailer.

Extra safehouses/Interiors

user posted imageuser posted image

Let's face it. There's only one single safehouse throughout the whole game. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty decent and all, but it would've been nice to save in other places around Liberty City. For example, the nightclubs Maisonette 9 and Hercules. Or other places around LC would've been nice too, although this game is heavily based in Algonquin. Seeing at Tony or Yusuf don't die in the game, it also would've been nice to be able to enter/save at their places with those lavish interiors. Seriously Yusuf, thanks for the gold Super Drop Diamond, the gold Buzzard, and the gold uzi that probably fires gold bullets, but can't you let me enter your safehouse and play with that gold replica of LC or play on your retro Degenetron arcade system from 1986?

NOS

user posted image

It was nice to finally see it in-game accompanied by a few new sports cars. But there's a catch to the NOS: You can only use it during a race. And after the race, you lose the NOS. Seems sort of dull that you can't use it any time you want. It would've been nice to have it automatically equipped on every sports car like in the races, or to have it optionally installed on any car you drive.

Music

user posted image

Quoted from Ash_735:

The music could of used some real improvement too, in this episode it only feels like K109 and San Juan Sounds fit, Electrochoc abandons it's theme to go with some clubbing R&B Dancehall style and Vladivostok FM, well, I don't need to mention that. I felt like they could of spent time actually working on the Radio this time around, songs on RAMJAM FM could of easily been added to Tuff Gong Radio with a little leaway and Self-Actulaized FM could of easily been extra content on The Journey. At least these would of fit instead of being rolled out as New Stations. The extra content on Vladivostok should of been a new station within itself along the lines of Vice City FM.

Yeah, I barely noticed any of the new music during tBoGT. It seems every time I paired up with Tony, I was listening to K109, while when Luis worked with anyone else, San Juan Sounds would be playing. I don't even know if Pjanoo from the original trailer is ingame or not. Also, it seems that DLC users got shafted rather than the people who bought the EFLC disc and vice versa. We both paid $60 when vanilla GTA IV came out, and we both paid $40 for the two DLCs or via disc. So we should be getting the same content. Although I have doubts that they'll ever carry over the additional songs.

Anything else?

Edited by damian001

SafetyCatch

R* could of added a lot more to the story, too. They left a few things out, and to be honest, it seemed like a half assed effort.

Great topic, though.

Ash_735

The music could of used some real improvement too, in this episode it only feels like K109 and San Juan Sounds fit, Electrochoc abandons it's theme to go with some clubbing R&B Dancehall style and Vladivostok FM, well, I don't need to mention that. I felt like they could of spent time actually working on the Radio this time around, songs on RAMJAM FM could of easily been added to Tuff Gong Radio with a little leaway and Self-Actulaized FM could of easily been extra content on The Journey. At least these would of fit instead of being rolled out as New Stations. The extra content on Vladivostok should of been a new station within itself along the lines of Vice City FM.

damian001

I was thinking of those stations too, but I completely forgot about it while making the topic. I knew something was missing. I'll add it right now.

Krkr

The Lost and Damned weapons should be in it too.

ManWithRedHair

I would of liked to have Yusif Amir as a friend sad.gif

HusseinintheBrain

More side missions upon completion of the main story would've been nice, like the Stubbs missions you did in Lost and Damned. After you finish, you can't call anyone for jobs and the closest thing to it is the drug wars which really aren't that great. Yusuf would've been a great character to work for doing side jobs as there was no limit on what you could do, everything was over the top with that guy. Also, Since Luis is a self-admitting killer for hire, they could've brought back the assassination mini game and built upon that idea. I wasn't really satisfied also with how the story ended, they made it sound like the Italians as well as the Russians were after you, we saw the Russians, what happened to the Italians? And for a game that revolves around money and excess, it sure didn't feel like it. The ability to purchase property (like a yacht) was would've fit very nicely in this game. They had a great premise and idea for this game, but like IV, the end product felt very incomplete.

Rag

I'd make Luis not run like a raging bull.

Synyster522

Would of been awesome if you could hang out with Yusef and go to clubs and stuff.

Would have been funny if Luis had dated Michelle in one of his everyday flings who rats him out to the authorities aswell, I thought the stories could of linked more through small things such as that.

Le Rusecue

They needed to make the story paths cross more. Luis's mom, Armando, and Henrique, all disappear after Luis does the NH missions. They could have atleast made Armando and Henrique backup! Also, I was excited they put in mission replaying, but disappointed when I found you couldn't watch the opening cutscene. And, they need to add more friends. I don't see why Yusuf and Tony couldn't be friends. Heck, I would've even accepted Mori as a friend, atleast he would have been fun to shoot in the face.

OGLuke

Okay before this gets outta hand with what should have been improved or whatever

I will say that the only big complaint i have is.. NOS only in triathalons and the crossover missions being crap.

Thats it.

Everything else is great! I love the drugwars and skydiving. plus the nightlife aspect with clubbing and doing favors for high classed celebetants is cool

Big Tone

The multiplayer mode is really disappointing to me.

It lacks diversity.

There are no new inventive online modes, like gta4 and TLAD both had.

Gta race is the only fun mode in there(I like it when there is no fixed outcome).

It only adds a couple of cars and bikes, but they took out a bunch of the cars and bikes that where in there.

The options for no bombs is removed in gta race, so now the first one with a satchel charge probably is gonna stay on first place the whole time, plus everyone is hiding around corners waiting for you to pass by, so they can blow you up.

And the parachute. Come on, its nice and all, but its very lame that its only in free mode.

Rockstar made that video with that 16player basejumping competition. That got me all crazy TBOGT lovin.

Only to find out that the cool basejump competition is only imaginary bullsh*t.

They where just playing free mode and making it look like some sort of basejump race.

That race you do for Mori in SP that would have been a great mode for multiplayer. And I really expected it to be in it.

In fact, I even recommended TBOGT to a friend of mine. Telling him that he definitely must download this, so we can enjoy

GTA race again, just like old times. But now even better I sad, its got parachutes now! (stupid me).Well he would have gotten it anyway I suppose.

Like I mentioned in a different post. If only they would bring back cannonbal race, and start from up top of a building, then im satisfied.

But it would be much better if we could get that triathlon race you do for Mori.

Team deatmatch is better now I think, altough its kind of overkill when playing in a full game, and there is no way to go out.

The singleplayer was great, altough they really need to fix that texture crap.

Cheers, Big Tone

urbanfire

The vehicles were slightly disappointing. I mean, no skycrane in freemode? So many people were hyped up for it, picking up players in cars and then dumping them on their arses.

And the Brickade - why included in the gamescript but only let illegal modders spawn it in freemode? Why even included it then?

Morality choices? I remember them saying something in gametrailers spike TV about making a really strong morality choice near the beginning of the game between choosing between Gay Tony and your mother.

And ofcourse, planes. Get us all hyped up using the trailer that shows Luis jumping onto a plane from a bike... and then nope... no flying planes.

Fight club was a disapointment. You would think R* would have amped up the fighting controls for the fightclub, maybe include even different styles of fighting like martial arts and streetfighting like in SA. But its just a a simple punch up. I swear this is one area that even copycats like Saints Row do it better - the fightclub in Saints Row actually worked!! I mean, you would have 6 people in the ring, fighting each other, with one man standing in the end. People from the crowd would throw chairs, tyres, bricks and even cardboard near you, so you can use them to smash your opponents. And they could use it too! Thats what a real bear fight is like, and it bewilders me that a gta clone got it right this time.

SovietWarrior42

The thing that confuses me is why the hell did they put DJ Paul on Vladivostok? I really like the music they added, but I really wanted some more Eastern European stuff. It just doesn't feel right going to Hove Beach and find out that all these hardcore Russian mobsters are suddenly big fans of club music.

Frangster

Funland

The one thing that bothers me the most is the closed Funland. R* created a whole funland, but there is nothing you can do there. Lot's of people would have want it to open. I really can't believe it remains closed. There is so many mini game potential there, carnival games, riding the rollercoaster and some rides, minigolf, etc, etc! I don't think it would be that hard to open it, since they did a great job on the themepark with Bully.

user posted image

Tsar_Smirnoff

@Frangster: I really like the idea of the carnival mini games, but seeing as how it's based off of Coney Island, I have a question. Is the real life Coney Island abandoned? If so, that's the reason we can't use anything in the fun park. In the game, the amusements look rusted and worn down like they've been abandoned 15 years or more.

Slamman

Some, well, Funland amusements covers all the games under GTA4, I'd like to hear who'd make a better Luis in terms of real-world actors, and will GTA get a big name actor EVER again???

Ash_735
Some, well, Funland amusements covers all the games under GTA4, I'd like to hear who'd make a better Luis in terms of real-world actors, and will GTA get a big name actor EVER again???

Up to now, I doubt it, they appear to go after local NYC casting talent these days, after San Andreas, which had a brilliant cast as did Vice City, they resorted to local casting talent calls in NYC for characters as seen in LCS and IV, VCS is the only exception as they went out and got the celeb again for the few returning characters in VCS but again, any new characters were from NYC Casting.

lockesbrokenleg

Things that could have improved it? More multiplayer modes! How about some kind of race mode that involves driving to buildings and basejumping onto the back of trucks before driving to the next checkpoint? Or maybe a mode that's a bit like that mission "In the Crosshairs" where everyone spawns in on rooftops with only a sniper rifle and you've got to take each other out but you actually have to look around because players don't show up on the map? Hell, why not just have a big deathmatch where everyone spawns inside a Sparrow and it's just an all out rocket-fest?

These are just things off the top of my head, I'm sure if Rockstar had been bothered they'd have come up with some pretty awesome online modes.

Edited by lockesbrokenleg

Hove Beach

Funland

The one thing that bothers me the most is the closed Funland. R* created a whole funland, but there is nothing you can do there. Lot's of people would have want it to open. I really can't believe it remains closed. There is so many mini game potential there, carnival games, riding the rollercoaster and some rides, minigolf, etc, etc! I don't think it would be that hard to open it, since they did a great job on the themepark with Bully.

user posted image

Where did you get that picture? Except for everything you've already said, I think the worst part is that they made Bulgarin so weird?!! He's is so "westernised".. He's supposed to be a cool russian character! Hate rockstar for that mistake. Does anybody think that he is good in the game?

Aldawg666

I think R* could've made the storyline a little more interesting. I mean, in GTA 4, the story kept you coming back, and wondering what will happen next. I also think R* could've at least made it so you started on Algonquin and the other Islands closed like in plain ol' GTA 4. Then it would give you more reason to want to get 100% Completion. I have just as much fun with cheat codes, and not saving, than I do acually trying to beat the game. It's boring.

MR vice

you guys left out how the multiplayer only has episodic weapons instead of all around ones

user posted image

user posted image

mad.gif

shinsta312

They did add a few mainstream celebrities and artists (not limiting to actors/actresses), but they were mostly added for the radio or TV.

But in terms of voice acting, it's possible we might see a big-name actor voice as someone in the future, but in terms of GTA IV and EFLC, I would think that R* wanted a more "authentic" voice acting to the characters.

@Frangster: I really like the idea of the carnival mini games, but seeing as how it's based off of Coney Island, I have a question. Is the real life Coney Island abandoned? If so, that's the reason we can't use anything in the fun park. In the game, the amusements look rusted and worn down like they've been abandoned 15 years or more.

Coney Island isn't abandoned, but the original amusement park that was there on the island was closed down in 2008. There's currently a new amusement park that is located there.

SweatyPa1ms

-Watersports (jetski, wakeboarding etc.)

-Emphasis on free running

-Finishing the unfinished buildings or adding more detail to them

-Multiplayer game modes

There are hundreds more things that I could think of like a destruction engine, more weapons and vehicles, but i'm just waiting for GTA IV - Vice City or GTA IV (whatever you wanna call it). Hopefully Rockstar knows what makes their game great and will make adjustments accordingly. I have faith in them but i'd give my right arm to help them do it.

I liked that fairground idea aswell, such a shame.

TimmyM56

you guys left out how the multiplayer only has episodic weapons instead of all around ones

user posted image

user posted image

mad.gif

Yeah, it first pisses me off that the M4A1 is not in free mode. The M249 is great in helicopters, but it sucks on the ground.

Dominico

Hey, where did you get that 3ds max scene with the city? I want one!

Pellerin1031

I just wasn't a huge fan of the 100% requirements in the missions. I get that they put them there as an incentive for players to repay the missions, but if I wanted to replay missions, I'd want to do it for fun, not because I wanted to get 100%. I almost felt obligated to retry missions to get 100%, like OCD or something. Now, I realize there are those who LIKED the 100% requirements, but to me, I felt as though they limited my freedom and, on a larger scale, my overall enjoyment of the game. sad.gif

As far as what could have been improved, I'm not sure much else. I loved everything else, although at times it felt like the game was moving away from the realism it worked so hard to develop in IV and Lost and Damned. I prefer it realistic as opposed to over the top. Over the top is fine as long as it's in small doses with me.

toni cinpriani
I just wasn't a huge fan of the 100% requirements in the missions. I get that they put them there as an incentive for players to repay the missions, but if I wanted to replay missions, I'd want to do it for fun, not because I wanted to get 100%. I almost felt obligated to retry missions to get 100%, like OCD or something. Now, I realize there are those who LIKED the 100% requirements, but to me, I felt as though they limited my freedom and, on a larger scale, my overall enjoyment of the game. sad.gif

As far as what could have been improved, I'm not sure much else. I loved everything else, although at times it felt like the game was moving away from the realism it worked so hard to develop in IV and Lost and Damned. I prefer it realistic as opposed to over the top. Over the top is fine as long as it's in small doses with me.

yeah I only replay for the fun too! Or if I want a unique vehicle from that mission smile.gif

GTA3Freak-2001

What about the multiplayer only vehicles, they could of incorporated the police bike as a proper additional force of law same goes for the Police Stinger and Buffalo cruiser, there's also that Brickade thing which from what I've heard is not used ingame.

Dominico

I think they could add more multiplayer models, there are only two types and some clothes, but that just makes everyone look the same in a match.

Edited by Dominico