Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (84,988 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

That_Guy28

Which is better, Windows XP, Vista or 7

Question

That_Guy28

Of the three operating systems which is better for playing GTA IV on; Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7? Also, is the 32bit version or the 64bit version better?

Chewie

XP would probably be the best because it doesn't have so much errors like Vista does. Actually, all of the operating systems should run GTA IV the same. I would say that it depends on what ever hard ware you have. Ram, video card and the type of processor.

Also, is the 32bit version or the 64bit version better?

The 32bit version should be worse because it's lower. The 64bit version would be a lot better because it's a lot higher.

What do others think, am I wrong? I don't know so much about operating systems.

nixxio

Based from my experience, go with Win7 64 bit.

Unless you want to try each OS one by one because GTA4's performance is so random you'll never know what will perform better on whatever system you throw it at, different drivers, etc etc. cry.gif

But most of the time it just depends on the hardware you have, like stated by the previous poster.

syrdax

What system specs? Depends on that for 32 or 64.

From my experience, I changed from XP32 to Vista32 and didn't had any change at all, went back to XP and then went to Vista64 and that changed everything, finally I play the game without any loss of FPS and I play at like 30FPS constantly, before, I could play from 9 to 25, being around 9 most of the time.

Didn't try 7 yet, I'm waiting for a copy these days so I'll give it at try soon enough, and of course, I'll never go back to 32 bits. ^^

Abderian

Based from my experience, go with Win7 64 bit.

As this user said, Win 7 64 bit.

XP is getting old and there are some exploits for it nowadays, and Vista is buggy. Win 7 fixes these problems. If you have more than 4 gig of ram and a 64 bit processor go with 64 bit, but for GTA 4 it shouldn't make much difference.

E: the box of GTA says it is "64 bit enhanced" but according to some techie friends that's either BS or the program is a hybrid.

Edited by Abderian

MitchyK

Vista 64 for me, Had some compatibility problems with win7, so haven't got back to that yet, but going form xp32 to vista64 i saw a jump in fps from high 30's to mid 50's. That some jump. and no more stuttering. But as has been said, it's different for everyone because of their hardware/drivers etc.

MitchyK

oc student

Windows 7 64 bit

Skelet0n

IMHO, Seven Ultimate (32-bits) is the best!

Edited by Skelet0n

Gorbachev
Windows 7 64 bit

+1

it's the best performing right now

Ruscris2

Go with Windows 7 64-bit ! My computer have this OS and runs gta iv with 26 fps in interior and 20 fps outside !

I have:

AMD Althon Dual-Core 4000+ @ 2.11 Ghz

1 GB Ram DDR2 @ 667 Mhz

Geforce 7300 GT 256 MB

And no commandlines ! OfCourse All settings are down (shadows medium)

supermortalhuman

For me, it is XP 64 bit. I have a minimum spec processor and 2 gb ram.

You need to just think about your hardware and xp is definitely going to use the least of your hardware. If you have fast enough hardware, you can use any of the OS's, but if you're not sure about your hardware being "top pf the line", you can't go wrong with windows XP.

viometrix

if you have 4 gb ram, any dual core processor.... go with win 7 x64. if your hardware is older and you are not planning to upgrade, win 7 32 bit. support for xp is dying, and hey why live in the past for 1 game, vista is well vista.... win 7 is just so smooth at everything it does. as for whomever complained they had a driver issue or something with 7, it was still beta, try it again.... unless it is some obscure piece of hardware your having issues with.

SlingShotUK

As usual it's never as simple as it could be.

Technically Windows 7 is the best bet for anything you want to do on your computer, including GTA 4.

However, as I found out last night, if you have certain Nvidia graphics card (like my 8800GTX) the latest Windows 7 x64 driver is rubbish compared to 181.24 on Vista x64.

I'm hoping I can downgrade to the nearest Windows 7 driver to 181.24 but have to see if that's possible. 181.24 on Vista is superb.

GhostDragon

Windows 7 x86 for me..you can't even tell the difference. I did some tests..same thing so it doesn't really matter

StoOopiD

PS3

supermortalhuman

Name fits the out of topic response sigh.gif

I'm going to give 7 a try soon, I keep hearing people talk about it and it is cheaper than I thought. When I throw another 2 gb in, I'm going for 7 x64. After I research my hardware with it in mind xD

Gilly1987
PS3

be honest 360 versions better in every aspect

but both look ugly compared to pc version at a decent res

ive tried xp 64 and 7 64bit both have similar

max fps but for me personally windows 7 has less of a drop off of fps monocle.gif

That_Guy28

3GB RAM

2.6GHz Intel Dual Core (or somthing like that)

ATI Radeon 3450 HD 256MB

From what you guys have been saying, I think I will go with Windows 7 x64.

I hate Vista... It's ONLY good for GTA IV.

if you have 4 gb ram, any dual core processor.... go with win 7 x64. if your hardware is older and you are not planning to upgrade, win 7 32 bit. support for xp is dying, and hey why live in the past for 1 game, vista is well vista.... win 7 is just so smooth at everything it does. as for whomever complained they had a driver issue or something with 7, it was still beta, try it again.... unless it is some obscure piece of hardware your having issues with.

I've been using Windows XP pro x86 since it first came out. I bought a new computer with Windows 7 x64 on it and the specs I listed above.

Should I upgrade from 3GB to 4GB RAM, dual boot Windows XP or just install the game and see what happens?

viometrix

3GB RAM

2.6GHz Intel Dual Core (or somthing like that)

ATI Radeon 3450 HD 256MB

From what you guys have been saying, I think I will go with Windows 7 x64.

I hate Vista... It's ONLY good for GTA IV.

I've been using Windows XP pro x86 since it first came out. I bought a new computer with Windows 7 x64 on it and the specs I listed above.

Should I upgrade from 3GB to 4GB RAM, dual boot Windows XP or just install the game and see what happens?

you seem to have triple channel memory...so upgrade to 6 gb and youll be happy and good to go for a while

needrogue

i gonna intall win 7 64 bit

I have 3GB of ram though.

Is that enough?! if not im sad

btw my rig:

Pentium D 2.99 GHz

nVidia Geforce 9400 GT with 1GB

3GB ram ddr2.

Will i have any increase?Can i upgrade to win 7?

Cuz the upgrade advisor says i need 3GB of ram for 64bit.

Edited by needrogue

Jigglyass

Just get windows 2000 for f*ck sakes.

needrogue

WTF?

why 2000 O_________________________________O

Cuz my comp sux?

yeh,but still win7 is optimized for slow comps too from what i heard

Jigglyass

WTF?

why 2000 O_________________________________O

Cuz my comp sux?

yeh,but still win7 is optimized for slow comps too from what i heard

Windows 2000 is fine, dont be fooled by what others say.

ReVolut1on7

Installed Windows 7 home premium 64-bit yesterday. I have only tried GTA so far but it certainly runs much smoother than in vista64. Gotta try some benchmarking today.

CHILLI

dont worry about your memory dude. I have been running games with only 2GB for years! havent really got a problem with it. the biggest issue for me right now is getting a new video card since the two last used ones were:

NVIDIA 8600 GT 512mb, I think it gets too hot and then games run like crap. it has a heatsink (I think that's the name) the memory works fine, but the performance dies quickly. I can run GTA IV for about 10-15 minutes then it starts lagging quite a bit.

NVIDIA 9600 GT 512mb, has really good performance and never overheats. I changed back to the 8600 recently because the memory was starting to die on it. it was a bit faulty from the start anyway. didnt get it replaced since it already was a replacement for another card that got burnt before the warranty went lol.

anyway back on track: I say Win7 64bit for sure. I had the candidate of it, it ran just fine and didnt get lock-ups like XP gets at times. but since it was just a test version some of my software, like sound drivers, were messing up so my the soundcard seemed like it was broken, even though it was perfectly fine still. then I got so tired of it playing with my microhpone settings and other things so I went back to XP, and all drivers worked perfectly again. I want to get Win7, but since the prices are so high here I dont think that will happen too soon.

Swedish currency = smells ripoff compared to... say.. the UK.

That_Guy28

WTF? You can't even play GTA IV on Windows 2000! If you can prove that GTA IV will run on Windows 2000, I will dual boot it with my current operating system.

I haven't decided if Windows 7 is better than Windows XP yet. I guess it just depends on whether you are playing GTA IV or not. GTA IV IS THE BEST GAME EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jigglyass

WTF? You can't even play GTA IV on Windows 2000! If you can prove that GTA IV will run on Windows 2000, I will dual boot it with my current operating system.

I haven't decided if Windows 7 is better than Windows XP yet. I guess it just depends on whether you are playing GTA IV or not. GTA IV IS THE BEST GAME EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I honestly do not care if you believe me or not. Im not going to try to prove that it runs better as im not the one missing out on a 20+ FPS.

Installation is possible with a hack.

GhostDragon

It is time for you to realize that Windows 7 beats the crap outta XP

nixxio

Well, GTA4 aside, Fallout 3 runs sooo much better on Win7 64 bit. NFS Shift runs better, and the list goes on.