Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (92,919 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Laufas

TLAD or TBOGT

The Lost and Damned or The Ballad of Gay Tony  

433 members have voted

1. 1. The Lost and Damned or The Ballad of Gay Tony

• The Lost and Damned
    • The Ballad of Gay Tony

GamesBoy316

That's what I like about both DLC's, you see Liberty City differently. TLaD makes it still look dark and gloomy like GTA IV, but TBoGT gives a different feeling, showing that it's not like that all the time.

Edited by GamesBoy316

CreepShow

TBoGT. I don't like bikers which appears in TLaD. I like nightclubs and luxury cars like in The Ballad of Gay Tony, and Luis López is great character, one of my favorites.

Agreed. I hated the biker theme as well: "please get back on your bike!" Ohh piss off I ptefer to use cars. James has died, mission failed etc. Piss off again, I dont need any help from my biker buddies, I prefer flying solo. And dont even get me started on that badge that appears on roads, its got to be the most annoying/pointless thing out of any GTA to date!!!

So here's the question: WHY THE HECK YOU PLAY IT?

if he didn't play it, you would be all: BUT YAH DIDNU PLAY IT, U DONT UNDERSTAND HOW DEEP SOTRY WAS AAUAHUHUGGUGH

I havent played GTA$5 and I know how sh*tty it is.

A.O.D.88

Yellow > Pink

Rock 'n Roll and Heavy Metal > Hip Hop and Dance Music

Bikers > Clubbers

Beer > Champagne

Choppers > Sports Cars

Johnny > Luis

Terry & Clay > Armando & Henrique

Tbh, that awful pink sky wouldn't look good in Vice City either.

THIS!!! A TRILLION TIMES THIS!!!!!! B Dawg you are my new favorite poster on this forum.

Edited by A.O.D.88

DERGaming

It was me who already created this

Lexyz.

Wrong,this was created in 2009 -.-

CreepShow

You made a post, but there was a post about Brucie already. The one you made was merged in the old one. Also you made like a million threads in 4 weeks, you should not make pointless threads.

SMACKED!

tlad for the win

Uncle Vlad

Funny thing, before playing them I thought that I´ll love TBoGT and was affraid if I´d be able to get into TLaD. But after playing both of them I was excited about TLaD and TBoGT was quite okay, but nothing more.

But since I started to do my playthroughs in chronological order (IV and both episodes) TBoGT really grew on me. I realised my problem with TBoGT was that it got annoying at some point when I played it from the beginning to the end. But switching to Niko´s and Johnny´s stories at certain points turns it into a refreshing experience.

So for me TBoGT is best enjoyed in small doses. :lol:

Edited by Uncle Vlad

TaylorTheCreator

TLAD was actually really sad for me, TBoGT was more enjoyable and exciting for me.

Piggsy pls

I liked TLAD's story more, but TBOGT has more features, I think they even out. I don't really like the color on either DLC, TBOGT has a weird shade of pink on everything, TLAD made everything even more dark and brown/grey than IV did, which was already too much. Seriously, what's with games based in NY making everything look all dark and edgy? NYC doesn't look like this in real life, lol.

O.Z

I liked TLAD's story more, but TBOGT has more features, I think they even out. I don't really like the color on either DLC, TBOGT has a weird shade of pink on everything, TLAD made everything even more dark and brown/grey than IV did, which was already too much. Seriously, what's with games based in NY making everything look all dark and edgy? NYC doesn't look like this in real life, lol.

GTA IV - dark and gritty

TLAD - dark and gritty with added yellow (lots of it)

TBOGT - pink

Piggsy pls

GTA IV - dark and gritty

TBOGT - pink

The DLC's should've just kept IV's color palette IMO.

Brian Grey

I prefer TLAD more than TBoGT, it starts of fun with the war with the Angels of Death then it starts getting depressing when Billy gets arrested and The Lost split in half (Johnny vs Brian) then at the end where most of your brothers and people you knew are dead and burning down the clubhouse was just sad but signifies its over. TBoGT was fun had lots of cool things to do, the underground fight club was awesome something that would of suited Johnny Klebbits, both DLCs were great and added a different perspective to Liberty City other than Niko trying to start a new life with his cousin and ends up working for Mob bosses, crime familys, corrupt cops to find the man who betrayed and caused the deaths of most of his fellow soldiers in the ambush and to try and escape the way of life knows.

George Costanza

GTA IV - dark and gritty

TBOGT - pink

The DLC's should've just kept IV's color palette IMO.

I disagree with you. The DLCs are showing us LC from different perspectives. Not everyone got same view on world, not everyone is reliving the same story. Edited by Tomasak

DoctorMike

TBOGT: weapons, more activities, nightclubs, modern feeling, sports car etc.

TLAD: Story, more dramatic moments and betrayal and such. Protagonist, antagonist, etc

Piggsy pls

GTA IV - dark and gritty

TBOGT - pink

The DLC's should've just kept IV's color palette IMO.I disagree with you. The DLCs are showing us LC from different perspectives. Not everyone got same view on world, not everyone is reliving the same story.Eh, the way I see it, it just makes LC seem inconsistent across the games, but alright.

iiCriminnaaL 49
Posted (edited)

Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned > The Ballad of Gay Tony

Storyline:

1. Motorcycle club vice president (later president) > Nightclub manager.
  2. TLaD's story > TBoGT's story.
  3. Bikers and mobsters > Nightclub customers and gays.
  4. The Lost MC > Armando's alleged drug empire.
  5. TLaD's introduction > TBoGT's introduction. (scenes of Johnny and his fellow brothers riding over Alderney with TLaD's main theme playing, showing the city and names of the MC's high-ranking members and their positions, till reaching Billy, is more interesting than escaping from a bank heist and walking in streets talking in the phone with TBoGT's main theme playing. Intro cutscenes were a lot better in TLaD too as well.)
  6. TLaD's first mission > TBoGT's first mission.
  7. TLaD's final mission > TBoGT's final mission.
  8. TLaD's ending > TBoGT's ending. (TLaD's ending is very cool and touching. Although you lose the clubhouse and the chapter is considered over, you get a really good feel, that you took Billy out, survived, live in peace. TBoGT's ending doesn't make sense; why did Rocco get out of town? What happened with the Ancelottis? Will they leave Luis and Tony alone after they threatened them when Grace got kidnapped and while Luis has killed Vince? What happened with Tony? Why did Luis remove him from his phone contacts and why did he leave town? Didn't he say 'You saved me, you saved the business, you f*cking did it.' and 'Tony Prince and Luis Lopez could not be stopped'? It's like a cartoon ending where everything be fine when sun rises. R* just threw a nonsense and non logical happy ending for people who kept whining about IV and TLaD not having happy endings. Happy ending would've been cool, especially for Niko, but if it doesn't make sense then it isn't a necessary.)
  9. Johnny's targets > Luis' targets. (Johnny is aiming to save The Lost MC and protect his brothers, then get rid of traitors and clean sh*t. In the other hand, what does Luis care about? Saving Tony's ass all time. Even GTA LCS' story, which many people disliked for some reason, is better than TBoGT's. Talking about protagonist's targets. Luis is stick by Tony most of the time, loyal to him for no good reason or benefit, even if he was a useless junkie gay, while Toni Cipriani's loyalty to Salvatore comes from paying him good and making him a made man, as well as having history in the mob with him, not with a nightclub owner.)
  10. TLaD's conversations > TBoGT's conversations. (TBoGT's conversations suck ass, especially speech of Armando and Henrique. Once they start speaking I feel like I'm gonna puke.)
  11. TLaD's story is more memorable than TBoGT's story.
  12. TLaD's setting main antagonist makes sense. (Bulgarin as the main antagonist of Luis and Rocco is the secondary one? Doesn't suit the story... Actually, Luis-Bulgarin relationship is pretty much like Niko-Pegorino, especially that Niko got introduced to Peg nearly the end of the game, turned into an enemy in the last mission. Bulgarin is kinda similar, turns into an enemy by the third last mission or something close. It doesn't really feel like 'End all this bullsh*t once and for all' for killing him by Luis, it's not like he's Rocco or some older enemy. I still feel like sh*t because he wasn't killed in Niko's story instead.)
  13. TLaD's story is way more realistic and makes sense. (I can understand how an MC's arms sergeant can get a weapon van, with grenades, launchers and even rockets, but a lowlife drug dealer like Armando does too? Gotta be kidding me. He even has C4 in his van. Luis can even upgrade his stats to make weapons such as automatic shotgun and advanced MG available in his van. Also, that sh*tload of sport cars everywhere and very easy ways to get them, even a lowlife drug dealer like Henrique has a couple of sport cars and can get ones to Luis whenever. Also, getting to use helicopters and parachute in every single type of missions or jobs? Come on... Beside the fact that flying helicopters in missions mostly suck, especially in the IV era, seems like R* just wanted to throw the over-top style in the game in anyhow, even where it doesn't fit. How could a nightclub manager manage to steal APC tanks, easily fly helicopters and use them to destroy some enemies, get heavily strong weapons like the advanced MG, automatic shotgun, C4, and even more... All of these things remind me of Toreno's missions in GTA San Andreas, which were pretty much the worst part of that very perfect game.)
  14. More interesting cutscenes in TLaD.
  15. Way more realism in TLaD.
  16. You don't have a 'boss' in TLaD. The only one above Johnny was Billy, and their relationship (although it's a bit of negative) was more of a partnership than a leader-soldier relationship.
  17. TLaD's story feels longer, and it's less rushed.

Characters:

1. Johnny Klebitz > Luis Lopez.
  2. Jim Fitzgerald > Tony Prince.
  3. Terry Thrope > Armando Torres.
  4. Clay Simons > Henrique Bardas.
  5. Thomas Stubbs > Yusuf Amir. (Amir is cool too, but I prefer Stubbs.)
  6. Ashley Butler > Grace Ancelotti.
  7. Angus Martin > Dessie.
  8. Jason Michaels > Troy.
  9. Elizabeta Torres > Adriana Lopez.
  10. Malcolm > Mori Kibbutz.
  11. DeSean > Brucie Kibbutz.
  12. Billy Grey > Rocco Pelosi.
  13. Ray Boccino > Ray Bulgarin. (Bulgarin is one of my favorite GTA antagonists, but comparing his behavior towards Niko and his relationships and acts with Luis, Boccino in TLaD surely has a better antagonistic role than Bulgarin has in TBoGT. While talking about personalities, same goes with Bulgarin's personality during Luis' story, no match for Boccino. Also, Luis hasn't been introduced to Bulgarin until nearly the half of the storyline, and they didn't become enemies until the few last missions of the story.)
  14. Brian Jeremy > Vincenzo & Timur.

Atmosphere:

1. Outlaw biker vibe > Nightclub bouncer vibe.
  2. Title related to crimes, betrayals and curses > Title related to a single gay. (it sucks how a whole game's title is related to to a character than a main side like a gang or maybe criminal side or nightclub life in general, and what's worse is that this character whose name is the game's main title isn't even the protagonist, at least. It could've been named 'The Shine of Nightlife' or 'The Ballad of Lopez' instead, or any other fitting name.)
  3. TLaD's opening, mission completion & ending themes > TBoGT's opening, mission completion & ending themes.
  4. Gangster rock > Night vibe.
  5. TLaD's theme is more memorable than TBoGT's theme.
  6. TLaD's color filler > TBoGT's color filler. (I know that TLAD's brownish color filler was added to suit the outlaw biker theme, but both of TLaD's and TBoGT's color fillers suck to be honest. I got to replace them both with IV's normal timecyc file, CleanIV version. However, still, TLaD's brownish color filler rules over TBoGT's pink touches.)
  7. TLaD's HUD colors > TBoGT's HUD colors. (I can understand why TBoGT's HUD was too colorful, and I actually like it being colorful, but I didn't like to see pink and purple colors being overused, even more than GTA VC and VCS did. I know pink and purple colors fit the nightclub theme, but using them a little would be enough. I use a custom hudColor.dat file from here instead. Modified IV's hudColor.dat a little, and TLaD's as well, just for my own taste. But in TBoGT, I found it way better to modify.)
  8. You feel like you rule the city when riding the Hexer (or any MC bike) as Johnny in TLaD.
  9. You feel like a real motorcycle club member in TLaD. Unlike in TBoGT, where you feel like a private driver of a nightclub owner.
  10. You're in the real darkside and an actual villain in TLaD, the whole time, a veteran of the criminal underworld. In TBoGT... only for a few missions, like two or three.
  11. You get the feel of some kind of warmth in TLaD. Covered by loyal brothers, with a clubhouse where the brothers hang in and sleep. You don't get that feel in TBoGT, nor in IV as well.

Gameplay:

1. The Lost's Alderney clubhouse & Plumbers Skyway's townhouse > North Holland's apartment, Maisonette 9 & Hercules.
  2. Gang Wars > Drug Wars. (Gang Wars made me feel the story much longer, as I started playing 10 Gang War rounds between each two storyline missions, without getting really bored. In Drug Wars, I get bored faster. Also, you don't expect to move your camera and get enemies spawning behind you in Gang Wars like they do in Drug Wars. Also, as long as Armando and Henrique keep talking, it becomes more possible to puke.)
  3. Bike thefts > Club management.
  4. Road Rashes > Races, Triathlons, Base jumps & Cage fights. (the latter becomes really stupid when fighters start using melee weapons, and anyway, it could've fit TLaD more than TBoGT. Also, I really hate something named 'race' in GTA games, but TLaD's basketball bike races are a cool exception.)
  5. Arm wrestling > Dancing.
  6. Gambling > Drinking. (drinking is still available with friends in TLaD.)
  7. TLaD's exclusive weapons > TBoGT's exclusive weapons. (I can understand that TBoGT has more additional weapons than TLaD, not that big difference though, but still, TLaD's are more fun to play with... for me at least. Also, you might be surprised, but I find the regular weapons more enjoyable to be playing with, compared to TBoGT's exclusive weapons.)
  8. TLaD's choppers > TBoGT's sport cars.
  9. The ability to call for backup in TLaD. (it's even better than Dwayne's backup in vanilla IV.)
  10. The ability to order a weapon delivery for free in TLaD. (till 'Was It Worth It?', as Jim dies then.)
  11. Getting protected by The Lost fellow bikers when attacked, either by gangs, pedestrians, or cops, in TLaD, as well.
  12. No annoying percent completions for missions in TLaD. (it's very annoying in TBoGT. You often need to skip cutscenes or miss dialogues in order to get %100 in a mission, as well as you need to focus on headshots and finish the mission as fast as you can, which sucks and makes you rush - Otherwise, you won't really feel the completion of the mission.)
  13. Hanging out with friends is better in TLaD. (as you arrange for an activity, you just get to Jim, Terry or Clay, you'll find them all together as always, same as in TBoGT, except you don't need to drive them yourself, they'll follow you on their bikes, and as soon as you finish the activity, they split out themselves. You don't need to ride them back to their usual positions like in IV or TBoGT. And hell, hanging out with James, Terrance and Clayton is enjoyable. I wouldn't have expected that I'll like hanging out with friends in GTA IV, but TLaD got me into it, properly. In TBoGT... it just makes me want to kill the both of Torres and Bardas.)
  14. The ability to hangout with the protagonist's side-kick in TLaD. (Tony isn't available to hang with in TBoGT.)

Notes:

• Why did I put Rocco on a section with Billy, and Bulgarin with Boccino, although Billy and Bulgarin are officially the main antagonists of their respective games? It's because Rocco's antagonistic role is bigger than Bulgarin's; comparing Billy to Bulgarin is like comparing Dimitri to Pegorino, which never makes sense. Just wanted to make it fair. Rocco has more of hostile behavior towards Luis than Bulgarin has, and he is an older enemy, and a common one. Similar with Billy to Johnny, his betrayal came before Johnny turns on Boccino, and he was more dangerous to Johnny and The Lost MC than Boccino, which makes him the main antagonist practically too, but not officially only. Practically, Rocco is the main antagonist of Luis. (it's one out of two probabilities: 1- TBoGT messed up the antagonist system. 2- Rocco is the main antagonist, but was never killed in his respective game. And either way, both of them show us how messed up the antagonist system is in TBoGT. And anyway, Billy is still better than the both of Pelosi and Bulgarin, and so Boccino is. Unless you take Bulgarin's acts toward Niko, he rules over Boccino, and maybe over Grey too.)
  • You might wonder why I mentioned some GTA 3D era games here in a GTA 4 trilogy topic; so, well, that's to show what things TBoGT fails in, things that even the 3D era games were better than TBoGT on, and in the other hand, TLaD has made it. However. Although TLaD has only 22 campaign missions (less than TBoGT's by 4), it makes player feel like it's a long story, which TBoGT fails in. Although TBoGT has 4 more missions over TLaD, it feels really short. Well written stories matter. If just Tony was a straight man rather than being a gay, then maybe TBoGT's story would be more acceptable (still less than TLaD), but playing the story while keeping in mind that the game's title is about 'Gay' and the fact that Luis' partner is a gay... makes me sick.

The most thing I really liked in TBoGT was killing Bulgarin. Not for Luis, but I consider it as a continuation for the ending of Niko's story. Couldn't have R* just made Niko kill him instead?

I may seemed to actually hate TBoGT, but it's not the fact. I like it enough, but the story doesn't keep me satisfied as much as IV's and TLaD's do, especially IV. If the storyline was better written, maybe I would have liked it even more.

TBoGT surely has some add-ons such as the parachute, APC tank, and a few extra weapons, but TLaD is mainly more enjoyable and solid, at least for me. If I were playing for weapons and vehicles I might go with GTA V then (which I would never do). Many people say that the best thing about TBoGT is the 'GTA San Andreas' feel, but it's not totally true. The only thing TBoGT brought from SA (beside the parachute and tank, although the APC is nothing like SA's Rhino) is a similar mission type of Toreno's part of GTA San Andreas' missions, which was pretty much the worst part of the game. TLaD in the other hand brought the hardcore gang feel, which was one of the best parts of the story of GTA San Andreas. Gang Wars were improved to be more enjoyable than GTA San Andreas' Gang Wars too (although I wished if there were a lot more of different locations of gang fights, like in San Andreas). I'm a hardcore fan of GTA San Andreas by the way. I guess that's why TLaD is strongly holding me, which makes me wish if TLaD's story was as long as IV's, beside the fact it's a DLC of GTA IV.

After all, story is what makes a game great.

Edited by iiCriminnaaL 49

Sleepwalking

I tried to replay TLAD again but when you know everyone in loading screen artwork ended up dead, you don't have any desire to continue the game.

The Dweeb

I think Tbogt is better but WAS way too short the graphics were shiny too go with the flamboyant cars and guns. Tlad was ok the graphics were gritty and satic too go with the gritty biker life.

But nothing beats the original. Gta 4.

Derphoe

I played Tbogt before Tlad.. So when I finally played Tlad I liked it but felt like it was lacking as far as story, and replayability.

Marcos18
Posted (edited)

Removed

Edited by Marcos18

B Dawg
Posted (edited)

- Basketball bike races

Basketball bike races? BASKETBALL? Lmao.

It's Baseball Bat. But a proper short term for it would be Road Rash :p

I can understand how an MC's arms sergeant can get a weapon van, with grenades, launchers and even rockets, but a lowlife drug dealer like Armando does too? Gotta be kidding me. He even has C4 in his van. Luis can even upgrade his stats to make weapons such as automatic shotgun and advanced MG available in his van. Also, that sh*tload of sport cars everywhere and very easy ways to get them, even a lowlife drug dealer like Henrique has a couple of sport cars and can get ones to Luis whenever.

Especially agree with this one. Henrique (and even Armando to an extent) were already established as no brains/dumb characters (one of the early story cutscenes has Luis notice A & H do a drug deal, where Luis has to lecture Armando that he's doing it wrong). A and H make no sense as weapon/car distributors. In this case, Yusuf would have made far more sense, as he's rich as hell, and he's the person who gave luis the crazy weaponry and had him steal the APC. Or maybe have Brucie/Mori for the cars.

Edited by B Dawg

Mangled Crow

I honestly prefer The Lost and Damned, i just absolutely love the gritty biker-themed atmosphere surrounding the game. Especially the characters, weapons and vehicles (especially the Tampa). Always has been enjoyable based on memories and experience.