3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Windows 7 Thread

Slamman

Since it's making it's public release, and Apple already aired an ad lambasting it, which was mildly amusing.

I'm offering discussion on Windows 7 as commercially available, if permitted.

I can't wait to get my hands on it, to be honest. XP seems so static when you see what they are striving for

with new Operating Systems

A show of hands who is for sure getting it, or who tried it and decided to opt in?

Do you think Apple has a good advert to combat PC with? It claims all Windows were purported trouble free when released.

Haywood Giablomi

I will be upgrading.

All the tech heads I know love it and the reviews are very good.

Who really gives a crap what apple says anyway. Apple PC's are for people with lots of money and the inability to think for themselves.

I pre-ordered the Professional upgrade back in June when it was being sold at a discount for $99 USD. It was the best way to go since I already have Vista Home Premium, in which case I must back up everything and do a clean install. Unfortunately every time I want to do a fresh install, I'll have to install Vista first and then a do a clean install of 7 over it, but it's a small hassle to deal with for such a large discount.

I just hope that alot of the bad choices they made with Vista are gone and hopefully the Aero theme or whatever it's called in 7 will be more customizable. And I'm crossing my fingers that they have further improved DPI scaling as well e.g. hopefully no more of this XP style DPI scaling being forced upon Classic and Standard themes as is the case in Vista, but I get the bad feeling that won't change.

I just checked my tracking number. It should be here today.

oQywcQM.jpg

in which case I must back up everything and do a clean install. Unfortunately every time I want to do a fresh install, I'll have to install Vista first and then a do a clean install of 7 over it

Mine just let me install fresh. Didn't even ask for my XP key. 7 Home Premium not Pro though. I'm not sure if there's a difference.

I'd like to order it so the copy I have installed can be upgraded to the proper build and be legit when the beta runs out. But I've got a while until that happens so I'll have to wait until the last minute, I'm assuming.

Personally I think Windows 7 is great. It runs nicely, nice features. Basically Vista that looks better and has some better features. It feels weird using Vista, and even weirder using XP.

1xHtopY.png

I will be upgrading.

All the tech heads I know love it and the reviews are very good.

Who really gives a crap what apple says anyway. Apple PC's are for people with lots of money and the inability to think for themselves.

i think you don't understand that most Mac users haven't made the decision to use a mac because someone or something else got them to do it, unless they're a moron who knows nothing about computers, but then the same thing would go for PCs, and possibly to a greater extent because there are more people or things trying to urge people to use, or keep using a PC.

So sir, you don't know what you're talking about.

i think you don't understand that most Mac users haven't made the decision to use a mac because someone or something else got them to do it

Then please tell me, why did you decide to pay twice as much for the same thing?

i think you don't understand that most Mac users haven't made the decision to use a mac because someone or something else got them to do it

Then please tell me, why did you decide to pay twice as much for the same thing?

The hardware might be mostly the same but the OS is not. it's the OS that makes me buy it.

in which case I must back up everything and do a clean install.  Unfortunately every time I want to do a fresh install, I'll have to install Vista first and then a do a clean install of 7 over it

Mine just let me install fresh. Didn't even ask for my XP key. 7 Home Premium not Pro though. I'm not sure if there's a difference.

That's odd. In that case why would anyone pay more for a full version if the upgrade version gives more install options? tounge.gif

oQywcQM.jpg

That's probably the only good reason to get a Mac, because you like the OS better. As to why, I don't get it. From my experience it's the same as Windows with a different GUI and layout. Totally not worth it in anyway, imo. Less support for pretty much everything and too costly for the hardware. I don't see how you can justify a 10-50% increase, some times more (lol at $200 for an extra 2GB of RAM upgrade), in costs just to get a different OS and better build quality than some (keyword, some, not all) manufacturers that put Windows on their computers.

I think Apple is hurting themselves by not allowing any other company to use their OS. Sure this way they make all the profits on their OS. But if they allowed one other manufacturer to use their PC OS and even their iPhone OS they'd see a large increase in sales across the board, spreading the Apple name. Even if they did it for a few years to help spread the OS more it'd be a smart move. One company trying to force compatibility across gaming, PC accessories (driver and functionality wise), etc is stupid. Why would a company spend any amount of money to appeal to a computer running a different OS when there's only something like 10% of those on the market? Generally anything is only cost effective when 20% is the lowest amount.

1xHtopY.png

I had a go on 7 on a laptop they were showing at the Carphone Warehouse today. Looks awesome. The bit on the taskbar where you can put programmes looks good.

The hardware might be mostly the same but the OS is not. it's the OS that makes me buy it.

So let me get this right. You're telling me you're paying like $1,000 for an OS. Not to mention the fact if you were "ohmigosh so in love" with it you'd realize you can easily put it on a pre-built computer. Unless they changed something I didn't know about and that doesn't work anymore. Still kinda crazy to pay that much for an OS though imo. To each his own though.

That's odd. In that case why would anyone pay more for a full version if the upgrade version gives more install options?

I'm not 100% sure on this but it might have seen I had 7 already installed (or Vista or XP) and let it go through like that. We'll see when I install it on my Mom's computer on a brand new hard drive. But yeah it let me format and do a completely fresh install. I know the retail full version comes with 3 licenses though.

So let me get this right. You're telling me you're paying like $1,000 for an OS. Not to mention the fact if you were "ohmigosh so in love" with it you'd realize you can easily put it on a pre-built computer. Unless they changed something I didn't know about and that doesn't work anymore. Still kinda crazy to pay that much for an OS though imo. To each his own though.

That's odd. In that case why would anyone pay more for a full version if the upgrade version gives more install options?

I'm not 100% sure on this but it might have seen I had 7 already installed (or Vista or XP) and let it go through like that. We'll see when I install it on my Mom's computer on a brand new hard drive. But yeah it let me format and do a completely fresh install. I know the retail full version comes with 3 licenses though.

i paid 1,500. and my mom paid for it. and I didn't want to make a hackintosh. I wanted to get an actual Mac. and it seems pcs are made out of flimsy material and if i were to go through with putting mac os on a pc i would have made the cohice of a laptop and finding a durable laptop would be hard. the pc laptops i've seen (felt) seem so flimsy. on an HP laptop my sister has, bought in 2008, i could actually move some upper plastic area of the screen near the webcam. and if you trip over a PC laptop you're f*cked, because the cord doesn't just pop out so the computer would go crashing to the floor, and Apple patented their magnetic idea.

So i bought a mac because of the reliable hardware and great, also reliable OS. I don't need gaming hardware for a laptop, so i got a Macbook. i don't give a sh*t about the price that was paid for it either.

So i bought a mac because of the reliable hardware and great, also reliable OS. I don't need gaming hardware for a laptop, so i got a Macbook. i don't give a sh*t about the price that was paid for it either.

You just contradicted yourself.

@The rest of your post:

It's not a secret Apple over-prices all of their hardware. Even the biggest fanboys out there will admit that, yet you can't seem to. Even at 1500 bucks chances are you still paid around 500 for the OS. You say you did it because of the quality of the laptop. Why not get an IBM/Lenovo. They're made for beating up.

Anyway I'm done arguing with you. This is the Windows 7 topic. Talk about Windows 7. If you want to discuss this I'll happily discuss it in the little no-button mouse thingie topic.

On topic:

Anyone found any interesting tricks or anything? I haven't really messed around with the OS too much yet as I've been trying to get everything put back on here.

Wha.. I thought Win7 was already released, like a few months ago. ph34r.gif

Anyways, yeah, the taskbar is pretty f*cking sick, especially when you have a lot of applications going on, your taskbar doesn't look as cluttered as it did in previous Windows', heck everyone says that. The fact that it boots much faster than Win Vista and slightly faster than XP is just great.

Some games I ran on Win7 are much smoother unlike in XP(Fallout 3 is a good example).

You just contradicted yourself.

@The rest of your post:

It's not a secret Apple over-prices all of their hardware. Even the biggest fanboys out there will admit that, yet you can't seem to. Even at 1500 bucks chances are you still paid around 500 for the OS. You say you did it because of the quality of the laptop. Why not get an IBM/Lenovo. They're made for beating up.

Anyway I'm done arguing with you. This is the Windows 7 topic. Talk about Windows 7. If you want to discuss this I'll happily discuss it in the little no-button mouse thingie topic.

On topic:

Anyone found any interesting tricks or anything? I haven't really messed around with the OS too much yet as I've been trying to get everything put back on here.

how did i contradict myself? anyway, i don't see how i'm a fanboy. i was just correcting someones statement that said that Mac users have the inability to think for themselves.

EDIT: i just said that Apple overprices their computers in the multitouch mouse topic so i'm not going to repeat everything i said but yes, they do overprice their computers. i thought maybe you could see that i thought that when i said that i didn't care how much they cost, as though saying i have accepted the fact that they overprice their computers and have bought it anyway.

Edited by playaindahood

I was worried we'd revert to an older topic, however, I feel like a released game, sometimes that fits, but other times, starting discussion on a non-Beta basis works.

I want to discuss how Windows 7 works for you much better then WinPast.

Looks like, reading about it tonight (a book at Microcenter) that CD or DVD burning will be supported with the drive of your particular system and the until a Session is closed within Windows, you can write more data to the same disc, I'm wondering if that means the disc stays in the drive? I believe so.

There is a Media Center capability, but does it take on all tasks of Windows Media Center then?

I believe Media Center is still the same as it was in Vista. Doesn't look any different to me anyway.

Personally 7 is working much better for me than XP and Vista ever did. I found it a little hard to get used to at first. However I went from XP to 7 having only used Vista briefly in the past. Now that I'm used to it I like it a lot better than XP. Just feels so much less clunky. Seems to run a lot better to too which is always a bonus.

Briefly is the word for me, as the Acer afflicted Windows Vista Basic wasn't even seemingly genuine, but part of the buggy Malware was missing files caused BSOD more oft then not, and it only worked without fail in SAFE mode. It did boot up normally a few times, and that was mondo-bizarro!

Looking at it, I think there are still (the book's graphic stills, BTW), things I don't quite like inherant to Windows' style of GUI.

The ads MS put up are pretty damn annoying, where some user claims MS adopted their idea for OS 7, sure, buddy!

Anyway, I will also be trying the Ubuntu when I get that downloaded Distro proper.

To chime in on Apple nowadays, I'm not particular about them, bashing PCs when they obviously cater to old standby fans and people who want to "rather, think outside the (PC) box."

Apple was a company of not suits, but artists they said, in the 70s and 80s, Homebrew hardware gone against Big Blue, now IBM is not the enemy, Bill Gates' MS is, so why not the OS? The hardware is particular to Apple's history of coming up with their own way to offer computing to the public, they are not interested in putting out PCs, negating the Intel marriage, I mean, the other aspects.

As to Upgade of Windows versus original BLANK drive full install, you MUST have a copy as I've been faced with, and it would ask (under XP upgrade) for you to insert the disc as it's loading up SETUP/Startup files. So it must see something, or it would not be different. Full installing Windows XP will allow you to install to a new blank drive. I've done a few, needless to say, there is an option screen that pops up initially if it detects options need to be chosen

Edited by Slamman

My Grandad has bought it, so I'll have to see if I can borrow it today. Just interested, has anyone seen any Windows 7 stickers about on OEM Laptops/Desktops yet?

TechSpot I believe covered behind the scenes word in Southern Cali Best Buy had new computers in last week or so with Win7 preinstalled, cool, eh?

I like Windows 7 a lot, but I now have to install it on my PC which has XP. I gots Win 7 Pro from MSDNAA from school. Yay for school freebies.

Anyway, I was wondering if there's a not so tedious, easy way, to go from XP to 7. confused.gif

user posted image

Here's my initial experience with it so far:

- It was extremely easy to do a clean install over Vista. Just put the disc in, follow a few steps and it does the rest.

- It's very fast and respnsive, but that's not saying much because XP is fast and respnsive after a fresh install.

- I have mixed feelings about the taskbar changes. It's cleaner, but I also feel like I'm going through extra poin'n'clicks to do the same old things.

- WMP's gui is even worse. Hopefully there is a way to customize it so it's more like it used to be.

-When right-clicking on an item in the taskbar, what happened to maximize, minmize, restore the window? I really hope there's an option to get those back.

- The DPI scaling still isn't perfect. Most people won't care about this, but i'm sitting several feet away from my monitor which is a 1080p set, so DPI scaling is necessary (and no, the TV won't do a resolution of 720p). I have it set to 150% and like with Vista, a lot of porgrams won't sclae up properly using any themes besides the Aero themes. Like I said though, I doubted they'd bother to fix this.

Overall though, it still seems to be the OS Vista should have been. It's just a matter of adjusting to it and (hopefully) getting things like I like them for now.

oQywcQM.jpg

By DPI scaling, I'm not too familiar, do you mean the text pixel relationship? I've not bothered changing beyond defaults.

@Teun....

I'd say your easiest route is moving needed data to flash drive, and test an upgrade with the disc running FROM XP, or use a spare drive, a clean drive has many benefits, not the least of which, speed. It also allows Malware to become a minor issue if you back up your data on a regular basis, offload to your main drive and keep that as a backup

Edited by Slamman

DPI means dots per inch. Typically there's no reason to change it from the default of 96 DPI anyways. DPI scaling is used when you have a high resolution monitor and its native high resolution makes the user interface extremely small. You have two options if you want the interface to be bigger and easier to read: Either use a lower resolution (which would lower the image clarity as well especially if it's not the native resolution) or increase the DPI. Since I'm stuck at 1080p, I have to increase DPI. Alternatively, I could try to increase all the font sizes, but that doesn't do anything to make buttons, images, etc. larger.

Like I said, it's not a major problem even though I'd rather be able to use Windows classic instead of the aero themes. Overall it has improved since Vista since now you merely have to log off and log back on to make the DPI changes. Before 7, it required a reboot.

oQywcQM.jpg

ghost of delete key

Here's my initial experience with it so far:

- I have mixed feelings about the taskbar changes.  It's cleaner, but I also feel like I'm going through extra poin'n'clicks to do the same old things.

- WMP's gui is even worse.  Hopefully there is a way to customize it so it's more like it used to be.

You haven't noticed these are ongoing trends in Windows? tounge.gif

I long for the days of 3.11 simplicity... it could have been.

But such is the nature of bloatware.

Add another Bag On the Side.

Overall though, it still seems to be the OS Vista should have been.  It's just a matter of adjusting to it and (hopefully) getting things like I like them for now.

M$ just can't seem to deliver a constant or continuous user experience. They monkey with the inside, then scramble the outside, and leave you to guess what happened to the standard functions and utilities. Now what are they called, and where did they hide 'em?!

Happens every version. I'm guessing this is why Mac-heads love their OS. confused.gif

Is it true that Win7 eats up 15gigs on a nominal install? cry.gif

note: I wouldn't know as I swore never to even think of buying another Uncle Gates product as long as I live. Just curious.

I bet the registry bricks your machine after a month of use. No, wait...

there's 35 new background services which prevent this. nervous.gif

Oh, THAT'S what I heard, you need 15GB RAM to run it! tounge.gif

Good luck, I'm sticking with XP, sh*tty as it is. I'm squeezing every last dollar out of this disk, and I don't care for bling.

scagv35.jpg

"I can just imagine him driving off the edge of a cliff like Thelma & Louise, playing his Q:13 mix at full volume, crying into a bottle." - Craig

Actually, i got windows 7 (RC) going on a machine with 512mb RAM and a athlon 64, it's about as efficient as XP was IMO. and if you don't like bling, well, there's the classic theme colgate.gif

@3.11 - 3.x was nice, but program manager makes almost no sense when you think about it. seems a bit awkward compared to Explorer.