2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

This may not be the last episode.

As much as I like to see this topic closed as well, there's always going to be some stubborn guy who doesn't think that's good enough proof, until they hear from R* themselves or they hear an announcement of the next GTA game.

Furthermore, you can prove that there WILL be a 3rd DLC and you can prove that the first two WILL be on PS3 but you can't prove that these things WON'T happen.

5 years from now there will be a bunch of delusional PS3 owners on this forum still talking about how this stuff will surface eventually. They may diminish in numbers but they'll be here spouting their denial-ridden nonsense.

CharmingCharlie

Furthermore, you can prove that there WILL be a 3rd DLC and you can prove that the first two WILL be on PS3 but you can't prove that these things WON'T happen.

5 years from now there will be a bunch of delusional PS3 owners on this forum still talking about how this stuff will surface eventually.  They may diminish in numbers but they'll be here spouting their denial-ridden nonsense.

Can you prove that there won't be ? can you prove that the first two won't be on the PS3 ? I am getting sick of your fanboyism GuruAskew tone it down.

A few months form now you are going to look so stupid when the first DLC hits the PC first and then the PS3. I wonder what your sig will say then eh ?

Can you prove that there won't be ? can you prove that the first two won't be on the PS3 ?

That's exactly what I said. Even if it is officially announced that they aren't coming people still say "not coming... YET!" and you can't argue with that logic. There's a word for it, it's called "delusion" and it's certainly not something that only occurs when it comes to the idea of DLC on PS3.

I am getting sick of your fanboyism GuruAskew tone it down.

It's not fanboyism, it's common sense. When Sony pays Rockstar a huge chunk of money to keep GTA content off of the 360 I'll buy a PS3 because I'm a GTA fan and I support the system that brings me the content that I want. If that makes me a fanboy then I guess I'm a fanboy.

A few months form now you are going to look so stupid when the first DLC hits the PC first and then the PS3. I wonder what your sig will say then eh ?

I'll say this:

I'm not the least bit worried about being wrong.

CharmingCharlie

That's exactly what I said.  Even if it is officially announced that they aren't coming people still say "not coming... YET!" and you can't argue with that logic.  There's a word for it, it's called "delusion" and it's certainly not something that only occurs when it comes to the idea of DLC on PS3.

So that will be "no you don't have any proof" then, you don't know anything more than anyone else here. All you do is come in and insinuate that people who don't follow the "xbox exclusive till infinity" are delusional.

It's not fanboyism, it's common sense.  When Sony pays Rockstar a huge chunk of money to keep GTA content off of the 360 I'll buy a PS3 because I'm a GTA fan and I support the system that brings me the content that I want.  If that makes me a fanboy then I guess I'm a fanboy.

It is 100% fanboyism I have seen you do nothing but rub it into PC and PS3 gamers faces with every post you make. The fact is you are revelling in this and you are finding comfort in the blanket of "360 exclusivity for all eternity" and every chance you get you use to go "ha ha the PC and PS3 owners aren't getting it".

I'll say this:

I'm not the least bit worried about being wrong.

I'll look forward to your signature change biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

It is 100% fanboyism I have seen you do nothing but rub it into PC and PS3 gamers faces with every post you make. The fact is you are revelling in this and you are finding comfort in the blanket of "360 exclusivity for all eternity" and every chance you get you use to go "ha ha the PC and PS3 owners aren't getting it".

The thing is, I don't think PC and PS3 owners automatically deserve the content. Again, there's no single system that allows you access to every game you want to play. So far Sony has only one game that would even have me thinking about buying a PS3: Little Big Planet. You don't hear me whining about how its unfair that it isn't on there or spinning some erroneous website listing or off-hand comment from an unreliable source into "evidence" that it will see the light of day on 360. No, I understand that I need a PS3 to play it.

As it stands the FACT that the episodes are exclusive to 360 was announced before the PS3 even launched, so the way I see it, people who want this content either didn't research an investment that amounts to several hundreds of dollars or they just stuck their heads in the sand and pretended that the announcement wasn't true.

Personally, I think the fact that I made the right decision when it comes to the better console for GTA and as such I'm entitled to be annoyed by the whining and the nonsense from the people on the other side. They only have themselves to blame.

Ultimately, where I'm coming from is 100% anti-fanboy. I missed out on the original Playstation due to Nintendo fanboyism and I only jumped the Nintendo ship after they lost Rare to Microsoft.

In hindsight I would have had a lot more enjoyment with the original Playstation than I did with the SNES in its dying years and the N64, and even though Rare got me onto the Microsoft bandwagon I could give two craps about them because they haven't been worth a damn since the N64 days anyway, though I am pretty stoked for "Perfect Dark" on XBLA.

Remnants from past consoles that never panned out got me on the 360 bandwagon in the first place but I've stuck with Microsoft through 2 generations because of the things they've done right and the content they've delivered to me, and if they took a huge dive like Sony did with the Playstation 3 (and it certainly could happen, maybe the Xbox 720 or whatever will be a total lame duck of a console like the PS3 was) then I would stop my support of them.

When it comes to video games console loyalty is simply naive. A company whose console dominates one generation will almost certainly be the loser a few years later, otherwise we'd still be playing Atari consoles right now.

I'm sure Sony appreciates the people who dropped $700 on the PS3 based on nothing more than the Playstation name but it's the consumer who should be appreciating the company who offers them the product that satisfied them, and if the endless posts on this board that are essentially fantasies about what Sony failed to deliver in reality are any indication Sony is not doing a very good job.

When it comes to GTA IV, your experience is either:

360: access to the game and 2 exclusive episodes, no complaints

PS3/PC access to the game and endless hours of how you WISH you could play those 2 episodes

That's the whole situation in a nutshell. If you don't like GTA that's one thing but we're on a GTA forum right now and we are in the absolute thick of Sony's failure to deliver GTA content, and how anyone here can defend Sony is beyond me. Again, that's not fanboyism, it's just common sense.

CharmingCharlie

The thing is, I don't think PC and PS3 owners automatically deserve the content.  Again, there's no single system that allows you access to every game you want to play.  So far Sony has only one game that would even have me thinking about buying a PS3: Little Big Planet.  You don't hear me whining about how its unfair that it isn't on there or spinning some erroneous website listing or off-hand comment from an unreliable source into "evidence" that it will see the light of day on 360.  No, I understand that I need a PS3 to play it.

Well you see that is where people differ I believe all GTA fans should have access to the content on the platform they choose. As for other exclusives like LBP that is PRODUCED by one of Sony's developers it would be insane to expect that to appear on any other system. Now Rockstar is a third party developer it sold it's game on the PS3, 360 and PC therefore everyone should have access to the content.

As it stands the FACT that the episodes are exclusive to 360 was announced before the PS3 even launched, so the way I see it, people who want this content either didn't research an investment that amounts to several hundreds of dollars or they just stuck their heads in the sand and pretended that the announcement wasn't true.

Yes the episodes are exclusive to the Xbox 360 at the moment. It is mere conjecture whether this exclusivity is FOREVER like you claim or one year per episode as I claim. However you constantly come into threads where PS3 users are allowed to discuss if the DLC will come and keep rubbing it in their noses constantly, that is fanboyism at it's worse. When I was in the PC thread I saw people like you day in and day out come in going "ha ha the PC will never get GTA 4". Well guess what people like you were wrong then and you are wrong now.

Personally, I think the fact that I made the right decision when it comes to the better console for GTA and as such I'm entitled to be annoyed by the whining and the nonsense from the people on the other side.  They only have themselves to blame.

No you are not entitled to be annoyed by anything, you are entitled to leave the PS3 owners to speculate. If these threads annoy you then STAY OUT OF THEM.

When it comes to GTA IV, your experience is either:

360: access to the game and 2 exclusive episodes, no complaints

PS3/PC access to the game and endless hours of how you WISH you could play those 2 episodes

That's the whole situation in a nutshell.  If you don't like GTA that's one thing but we're on a GTA forum right now and we are in the absolute thick of Sony's failure to deliver GTA content, and how anyone here can defend Sony is beyond me.  Again, that's not fanboyism, it's just common sense.

When it comes to GTA IV, your experience is either :-

360 : access to the game and 2 exclusive episodes

PS3 : access to the game and a strong possibility you will have access to the 2 exclusive episodes later on.

PC : access to the game with better graphics, extra MP content, video editior, mods and you will access to the 2 exclusive episides later on but a bit earlier than the PS3.

That is the REAL situation in a nutshell, oh and don't tell me to get the hell off a GTA forum. I want ALL GTA fans to enjoy GTA not use GTA as some sort of "fanboy badge" like you seem to be using it for. You are not a GTA fan you are as far removed from a GTA fan as you can possibly get.

Here are a few quotes from some of the hands-on previews that mentioned TBOGT being the last episode:

From Kotaku:

I played and watched a few missions from Rockstar Games' next and final extension of Grand Theft Auto IV at the company's New York City headquarters yesterday. The new episode, which Rockstar says will be similar in size to the last one, offers a few notable game design tweaks but will most likely stand out to series fans as a modern way to reintroduce some of the eccentricities not seen in a console GTA since the PlayStation 2-era Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

But what I've seen so far of what Rockstar says is this last-planned GTA IV episode is wild enough to wrap the saga of Grand Theft Auto in entertaining and eccentric fashion.

From Spong:

The final chapter in the GTA IV saga, The Ballad of Gay Tony, looks to not only create a closure point that helps round off all the dark corners of Liberty City, but also reclaim some of the more light-hearted insane moments from the likes of San Andreas.

From 1UP.com:

Grand Theft Auto IV's final installment, The Ballad of Gay Tony, has you playing a straight-up baller who fires expensive guns, parachutes where he pleases, and robs entire trains single-handedly. Rockstar views GTA4 as its take on the American dream, with each installment portraying a different version via the story and gameplay.

From IGN:

Ten minutes into my first experience with the second (and final) GTA IV downloadable episode, I hijacked a train by carrying it to an empty ballfield via helicopter.

The Ballad of Gay Tony brings the GTA IV saga to a close and Rockstar wanted to go all out for the finale. From what I've played, it seems they've done just that. The Ballad of Gay Tony is an action-heavy, explosion-filled episode that could just leave Liberty City in rubble.

From G4TV.com:

In this second downloadable episode for the Xbox 360 version of Grand Theft Auto IV, players are exposed to the glitzy excesses of Liberty City through the eyes of Luis Lopez, main thug of famed night club titan Tony Prince (aka "Gay Tony"). Featuring new vehicles, new songs, new weapons and much more, the last chapter promises to bring the GTAIV saga to an explosive and brilliant conclusion.

When Grand Theft Auto IV launched nearly 18 months ago, Rockstar Games promised a revamped Liberty City that was bigger than anyone lurking in it. It was a bold claim to make; after all, the PS2-generation GTAs always ended with you in control of the game world. But at the end of Niko Bellic’s American tale, two words brought that chapter to a close: “you won.” It was an ironic statement, since Niko finished out the game as a small fish in a big ocean. With The Lost and Damned, Johnny Klebitz discovered the sobering limits of loyalty and brotherhood with his biker gang. And with Rockstar’s final chapter of this GTA story arc, The Ballad of Gay Tony, we’ll see the seedy underbelly of the city’s glamorous nightlife. Probably after filling it with buckshot.

From Digital Spy:

In the pantheon of classic video game worlds, Grand Theft Auto IV's Liberty City would surely hold a pretty lofty seat. Even considering the formidable standards of the GTA universe, this living, breathing version of New York City really raised the bar to a whole new level. So it's perhaps fitting that the final episode from this acclaimed city will be bigger, bolder and brighter than ever. The Ballad Of Gay Tony rockets the player into the glossy world of Liberty City's high rolling billionaires who love flash cars, big guns and loose women (or men, as the case may be). So Digital Spy joined Rockstar Games for a hands-on with the final hurrah of this majestic metropolis.

What is abundantly clear, though, is that Rockstar North wants The Ballad Of Gay Tony to ensure that Liberty City goes out with a loud and very proud bang.

From NOWGamer:

The Ballad Of Gay Tony is the last major piece of DLC exclusive to Xbox 360. ‘Tis verily a shame to see the end of it, not least of all because it seems to us that only now can we experience all of the dimensions of Liberty City.

From UGO GamesBlog:

The Ballad of Gay Tony, the second of the two part episodic expansion to GTA IV, sticks to the trend. Call it the Tony Scott Period; Rockstar's take on the modern action flick.

From Eurogamer:

The Ballad of Gay Tony is also the episode which will bring the entirety of GTA IV to its conclusion. It's been an exhaustive tour through Rockstar's eternal city, kicking off so long ago in the gloom of night with Nico's low-key arrival. It seems only fitting that the whole thing's going to end, a million miles away in terms of tone, with a cheery kind of chaos, bidding adieu in a freewheeling muddle of speedboats, fireballs and hair's-breadth base-jump landings.

From PALGN:

While the jury is still out on whether this downloadable content business is the way of the future, Rockstar will finally fulfil their promise of two downloadable episodes for their megahit, Grand Theft Auto IV, by the end of October. The first episode, The Lost and Damned set a new standard for DLC and tied into Niko’s original adventure beautifully. The second and final episode, The Ballad of Gay Tony is set to send off our latest trip to Liberty City with a bang.

From Channel 4:

But let's start at the beginning. This episode is the final instalment in the GTA IV 'trilogy', tying up loose ends in the story and generally going out with a bang.

The new missions in The Ballad of Gay Tony, as we have come to expect, crossover with and expand upon stories from the previous instalments. This is the last episode and as such we are promised a proper narrative conclusion.

The point is, whatever you believe it or not, this may well be the final chapter in the GTA IV saga. I can't be sure if we'll ever see TLAD and TBOGT on a PS3 or PC. Who knows? It might just show up in a couple of months. But as for the idea of a 3rd episode, based on how everything in IV and TLAD seems to fit together, and how TBOGT seems to be filling in the remaining gaps, the chances remain low to none.

Edited by shinsta312
CharmingCharlie

I personally don't believe there will be a 3rd DLC myself. I don't think Rockstar or Microsoft are overly impressed with how well the DLC was received on the Xbox 360 (only 33% of GTA 4 buyers bothered with TLaD). So yes I believe that TBoGT is the last DLC we will see on the Xbox 360. If you factor in sales of GTA 4 on the PC and PS3 into the equation that means less than 15% of GTA 4 gamers even bothered with the DLC. That is pretty piss poor when you think about it.

However I have no proof that there won't be another DLC and it is entirely feasible that if TBoGT did incredibly well then Rockstar could be tempted to do a third DLC to tide them over before the next GTA.

After reading all the online previews I think it's 99% that there are no more episodes. Every one of them made it sound pretty definite.

I'd like to know what the source is for figures like only 1/3 bought TLAD. AFAIK neither Microsoft of Take Two have given any specifics and no other source is valid. No one but Microsoft or Take Two is in a position to know TLAD sales through XBL. The only outside sales knowledge would be how many TLAD empty boxes sold through retail channels and that gives no hint how many more people downloaded without buying a box.

I don't think Rockstar or Microsoft are overly impressed with how well the DLC was received on the Xbox 360 (only 33% of GTA 4 buyers bothered with TLaD). So yes I believe that TBoGT is the last DLC we will see on the Xbox 360. If you factor in sales of GTA 4 on the PC and PS3 into the equation that means less than 15% of GTA 4 gamers even bothered with the DLC. That is pretty piss poor when you think about it.

That's why they're coming to retail now. DLC isn't a big enough market for GTA. It was an experiment though, and did sell well beyond any other DLC so they have something to be impressed about.

CharmingCharlie

I don't see it being all that impressive that there are around 6 million GTA 4 xbox users and only between 1 - 2 million bothered with the DLC. If you take into account the other 7 million (split over PS3/PC) that couldn't access the DLC at all it shows the DLC has been an abject failure so far. As I stated there have been 13 million copies of GTA 4 sold and only 1 - 2 million copies of TLaD. That equates to less than 15% of the GTA fanbase even bothered with TLaD.

It doesn't matter how you spin it the DLC has been a total failure on the xbox and for GTA fans. The fact the DLC did so badly on the 360 is obviously one of the reasons why they are resorting to bringing it to people on disc. It is most likely this will be the last DLC unless something dramatic happens with TBoGT there won't be anymore.

CharmingCharlie

It is widely acknowledged that GTA 4 sold around 6 million copies on the Xbox 360. The DLC has been reported to have shifted between 1 million to 2 million downloads. If we are generous and accept it sold 2 million that brings the figure to just 33% of those that have GTA 4 on the Xbox 360.

If we then factor in PS3 and PC owners that is a further 7 million user base that didn't bother with the DLC (after all they could have trotted out and bought an xbox for it, right ?). So in the grand scheme of things GTA 4 sold 13 million copies and the lost and damned sold a pitiful 1 - 2 million copies at best.

Pretty staggering to think about it really at least 10 - 11 million GTA 4 gamers just didn't bother with the lost and damned DLC.

I wouldn't see things that way. PC and PS3 owners wouldn't just have 300 dollars or more lying around and say "Bullocks, 360 is getting exclusive DLC, I'm gonna buy one". Of course they didn't care about the DLC, would they spend that kind of money for 2 exclusive DLCs? Personally, I don't give a damn if the episodes go to the PS3 and PC. It would finance a quarter or more of the development of the next GTA (GTA IV was 100$ million, am I right?), so I see that as a good thing.

BUT I really don't think Microsoft would waste 50 million for timed exclusivity.

CharmingCharlie

That is my point only 33% of Xbox users bothered with the DLC. The figure goes down to 15% if you take into account the millions of GTA 4 owners on the PC and PS3. I don't want to get drawn into discussing whether the DLC will come to the PS3 or PC because people have their own beliefs about it and this isn't the topic for it here.

However as it stands if we pretend for a second there is no PC or PS3 you still can't get away from the fact that of those that COULD buy TLaD only 33% actually did get the DLC. I personally think that is piss poor myself and when you look at the bigger picture with 13 million copies of GTA 4 sold yet so far they have only shifted 1 - 2 million copies of TLaD that is just embarrassing.

True, but don't forget. 2 million TLaD downloads mean 40 million dollars for Rockstar. They will probably get more than that with EFLC, since the 360 owners that didn't get TLaD will get it now.

The wonders of marketing ploys.

CharmingCharlie

So if we said for a minute that TLaD brought in $40 million and lets assume TBoGT did the same. That is $80 million in revenue. Hmmm am I the only one suddenly thinking that $50 million deal Rockstar made with MS wasn't such a good deal after all ?

Pumpkin Zone

How is 2 million people downloading it sad?

There's tons of REAL retail games that don't get 2 million people to buy them.

I think you're getting a little delirious, Charlie.

So if we said for a minute that TLaD brought in $40 million and lets assume TBoGT did the same. That is $80 million in revenue. Hmmm am I the only one suddenly thinking that $50 million deal Rockstar made with MS wasn't such a good deal after all ?

You seem to be just as much of a fanboy as GuruAskew is.

But don't drag me into your fanboyism. Not until the hard numbers come out for sales of BoGT and EFLC. Then we can debate whether or not it was a 'good idea'. Even though it's obvious you're butthurt because the DLC didn't come out on your favorite system.

Edited by Scottendo
The N. Bellic Man
That is my point only 33% of Xbox users bothered with the DLC. The figure goes down to 15% if you take into account the millions of GTA 4 owners on the PC and PS3. I don't want to get drawn into discussing whether the DLC will come to the PS3 or PC because people have their own beliefs about it and this isn't the topic for it here.

However as it stands if we pretend for a second there is no PC or PS3 you still can't get away from the fact that of those that COULD buy TLaD only 33% actually did get the DLC. I personally think that is piss poor myself and when you look at the bigger picture with 13 million copies of GTA 4 sold yet so far they have only shifted 1 - 2 million copies of TLaD that is just embarrassing.

How about the economic climate? Recession. And because it isn't a NEW GTA then maybe it should be compared to those Stories games. I mean many games that have sold over 2 million are thougt as a success. Then again it may be that some people don't care so much about GTA

anymore.

CharmingCharlie

How is 2 million people downloading it sad?

There's tons of REAL retail games that don't get 2 million people to buy them.

I think you're getting a little delirious, Charlie.

If you think a figure of only 1 in 3 GTA 4 users buying the DLC isn't sad then that is your issue. The fact you are calling me delirious shows me you are the one on the defensive here. I think it is pretty bad going myself that Rockstar managed to sell at least 6 million copies of GTA 4 on the 360 at $60 a pop but only managed to sell 2 million copies (if that) at $20 a go.

You seem to be just as much of a fanboy as GuruAskew is.

But don't drag me into your fanboyism. Not until the hard numbers come out for sales of BoGT and EFLC. Then we can debate whether or not it was a 'good idea'. Even though it's obvious you're butthurt because the DLC didn't come out on your favorite system.

Maybe I am a fanboy of the PC, hell look at my avatar, sig and user title. I don't think you could get any more of a PC fanboy. However I am a fan of the PC for REAL reasons. I prefer GTA 4 on the PC because it truly shines graphically. I am not "butthurt" because the DLC isn't out for the PC yet. I know it will be coming out for the PC soon enough. I just have to wait a bit longer as PC gamers have always done.

However it is an inescapable fact that the lost and damned only sold between 1 - 2 million copies which is piss poor when you consider GTA 4 sold 13 million copies at $60 a go.

2 million people downloaded TLAD [citation needed]

If it didn't come in quotes from Microsoft or Take Two there's no reason to believe it. No one else could possibly know!

Edit: I thought of a way someone else could know, if anyone got royalties based on unit sales then of course they could do the math, but anyone like that should be under NDA.

Edited by Magic_Al

You also can't say the $50 million deal is a failure if TLaD = X and TBoGT = Y and X+Y is less than $50 million because it's far more complicated than that.

For starters, $50 million is a huge amount of revenue for Rockstar. No matter what happens it was good for them. Look at their overall quarterly earnings based on the games they make alone. For the most part getting Microsoft's huge sack of cash was better for them than making and selling games ever has been by a long shot.

Secondly, you could get all the best marketing geniuses in the world together to analyze the effect the exclusive DLC had on console sales and I'm sure they would debate it forever but ultimately there's no denying that the exclusive DLC was one of the bigger factors in the 360 vs. the PS3 war. It's not the only one that put Microsoft over Sony this generation but it's certainly a significant one.

Microsoft was seeing the advantages of the DLC deal YEARS before any DLC actually surfaced. Rockstar had a big mountain of cash to ski down and Sony got screwed. That was the whole intention of the DLC deal and it has worked to perfection. Any actual DLC sales are just the icing on the cake.

florisinfernus
Maybe I am a fanboy of the PC, hell look at my avatar, sig and user title. I don't think you could get any more of a PC fanboy. However I am a fan of the PC for REAL reasons. I prefer GTA 4 on the PC because it truly shines graphically. I am not "butthurt" because the DLC isn't out for the PC yet. I know it will be coming out for the PC soon enough. I just have to wait a bit longer as PC gamers have always done.

However it is an inescapable fact that the lost and damned only sold between 1 - 2 million copies which is piss poor when you consider GTA 4 sold 13 million copies at $60 a go.

You really want it to be on the PC so bad that you really believe that it will be there. The proof isn't thát impressive. I could even see Rockstar only giving people a PS3 version. There is too much pirating on the PC.

i think this new dlc is gonna be great,and i do believe that this is the last R* are doing for the IV era.

No way it's the end of the IV "era". It's only the end of these intersecting stories that take place at the same time in Liberty City. Why should this era have fewer games than the III era?

Edited by Magic_Al
Tommy-Vercetti19

This may be the last exclusive DLC for 360 unless MS pay out more money for another exclusive DLC.

R* may wish to capitalize more on DLC and so create some more DLC's, not nessacarily episodes but small things like mission packs and MP skins and Vehicles.

But knowing R* you never know what they could pull out of there sleves.