3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Democrab

Google Android

Inttelix

tumbleweed

After nearly 3 years my Xperia Z3 is finally giving up. On occasions there's random shut downs and constant on/off charging which made my battery go down from 67% to the charge warning at 15% in less than 21 minutes without use and no, cables aren't the problem here.

I'm really gonna miss this phone, it's pretty sturdy for a slim, glassy phone. The phone before my Xperia barely lasted 6 months, gotta hand it to Sony for making tough as f*ck but also beautiful phones. My next phone will be another Sony. I'm weighing up between the XZs or the XA2, both having decent big batteries.r

Mine is a Z2 and its happening like yours. Random shutdowns are constant so I cant use it as an alarm. Battery life is still good. I am planning on fixing whatever is happening and passing it on because I bought a Sony Xperia XA and am in love with the camera. Great phone.

Dealux

Sounds too good to be real.

AiraCobra

Most people that switch to Android from iOS don't like it because it's not even consistent. You have two main players, Google and Samsung, who both have very different devices and also different user interfaces, which then leads to drastically different experiences for the end user. On one hand, Google continues to carve it's own path and cut corners because they're terrible at making their mind up when it comes to their own UI and apps.. and then you have Samsung that makes their own variant of already available stock Android apps on top of their own software to bloat up their own devices. There's no consistency between the two giants other than the fact that they run on Android, but even then it's not very similar due to the already visible differences. I'm likely switching over to iOS because of the fact that it's not fluent or consistent and after a while it becomes frustrating.

They can continue on their own paths but in the end it fractures the Android ecosystem entirely and makes it harder for other manufacturers. iOS has always been superior in regards to ecosystem & consistency.

One of the main reason why I switched from IOS to Android was because I got fed up with IOS not really adding anything new to the devices year after year even though with the X they went full screen getting rid of the home button that was really it beside upgraded camera but like you said Samsung added a lot of bloatware and stuff to their device and I noticed my phone battery dies a lot faster then my iPhone ever did and a lot of the app I used on iPhone I can't find on google play either.

I've paid off the Note 8 so I think I am going to switch to the X next month or I might wait until October because I heard that they are coming out with an iPhone X Plus which I would actually like better but with the company I have even If I get the device now I can trade it in in October and upgrade to the new iPhone in October for free as they allow for free iPhone upgrade

Flachbau

You could always look into rooting your device to gain full control which would then allow you to use apps like BK Package Disabler to remove bloat. My Note 4 is rooted and that's exactly what I've used to clean up my device. It helps a lot and gives you a lot of control on what you can disable. I'd be careful with some system packages though as a lot are necessary to keep the device working properly. Rooting will also allow you to flash a custom ROM.. there's a whole community dedicated to this stuff on a site called XDA-Developers. You could probably even find a custom ROM that utilizes the regular feel of the stock firmware, has no bloat, and also includes tweaks to make it more enjoyable.

Shaundi.

Two weeks into my Xperia XA2, I'm blown away. The 3300mAh is really something. Even more blown away when on stamina mode, something that was unfortunately taken away from the Xperia Z3 because of a software update.

The downside to this phone is it's 32GBs and only 14GBs was available because of nonsensical pre-installed apps which is an absolute annoyance, most of them being Amazon related apps and the facebook app, Google newsstand etc.

Although having one speaker, at the bottom, it sounds very crisp.

Inttelix

I had an Xperia XA, and I was also amazed at how fast it charged. Its 13mp camera was better then my Z2s 20.7mp. Sony makes very good smartphones.

I also wonder why Panasonic did not go global yet. Their phones are very nice as well. Only sells in midde eastern asia.

Jimmy
Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2018 at 3:10 PM, Shaundi. said:

The downside to this phone is it's 32GBs and only 14GBs was available because of nonsensical pre-installed apps which is an absolute annoyance, most of them being Amazon related apps and the facebook app, Google newsstand etc.

Although having one speaker, at the bottom, it sounds very crisp.

This is something that Sony still needs to consider. While they are trying to give a near-stock Android experience, they need to stop loading bloatware and stick to pure Android just like Motorola and Nokia. That way, they could sell more phones. Stock Android today is far more popular than custom or skinned UIs.

On 5/21/2018 at 6:52 PM, Inttelix said:

I had an Xperia XA, and I was also amazed at how fast it charged. Its 13mp camera was better then my Z2s 20.7mp. Sony makes very good smartphones.

I also wonder why Panasonic did not go global yet. Their phones are very nice as well. Only sells in midde eastern asia.

Panasonic has a very small memberbase in my country and the phones are not what you would call VFM. While the specs offered are decent, the competition (Xiaomi, Motorola & Nokia) offers more for the buck.

Edited by Jimmy

Inttelix

More affordable phones? I understand. Panasonic was never a cheap brand.

Shaytan

Finally, after much awaiting, I got myself a Nokia 5! I guess that's by no means a mind-blowing thing, but I took advantage of a good discount around here, while my still pristine J3 will go to my father (and, in return, his old 3" Samsung will be the perfect budget GPS for my bycicle, it's amazing how overpriced cyclocomputers, for the most part equivalent to an old smartphone, can be). The stock Android with no bloatware (besides Google's very own), monthly security updates delivered in time and the promise of Windows P were the selling points, as well as the great build quality and durability.

So far I'm quite happy with it, but I doubt any complains would emerge on the first days of use. Still, if Nokia keeps their word of keeping them up to date for a good while rather than flipping us all off some months after the release of their upcoming new devices, I'm sure this will serve me well for years to come.

On the bottom line, it's amazing all the features and build quality companies manage to put into lower-end devices these days, it's no longer a case of "make it big, stick a Chinese branded processor in it, add some neat features and close it all inside a plastic case that resembles the looks of a flagship" - this definitely doesn't feel neither look like a cheap phone at all, and even without the most mind-blowing specs in the world (still over twice as powerful as my old J3), it offers stuff such as a fingerprint sensor, a very decent camera that after ditching the stock app and replacing it with Open Camera feels like a solid photographing machine, a very good processor and, of course, something as simple yet still so rare to find at this price point as vanilla Android with only the mandatory Google apps that lets the user customise at will without useless crap slowing down the device in the background.

Dealux

I have a feeling OnePlus might take over a large part of the Android market in the future.

Shaytan
Posted (edited)

Following up on the already normal habit of phone manufacturers to copy and incorporate design cues from popular flagship devices into their own and to suddenly leading the market to be flooded with devices featuring weird design quirks as a statement of coolness or something among those lines (one of the earliest of such cases was the now decaying Samsung-styled home button, later on the curved aluminum case with plastic designs used to improve the signal, popularised by the iPhone 6 and which is still very common among midrange devices, next up a change of roles, where until then our friends from China were the ones mostly to blame for the lack of originality when it came to Samsung and iPhone homages flooding the phone market, Huawei popularised the dual camera setup (didn't invented it, though, as expected) and more recently the [kinda] bezel-less devices (good idea) with rounded edges and camera and speaker notches on top (wait, wasn't the idea to increase the screen's real estate, rather than cutting it in the most awkward way possible?!), the first mostly to thank to Xiaomi's Mi Mix and the latter to the Essential Phone), the natural sucessor in the timeline is... Gradient color options?

Huawei-P20-Pro-twilight.jpg

Well, this new fad doesn't look that bad and may perhaps be a better attempt to bring back colorful phones which other other companies had already tried to over the years but ended up sticking mostly to the usual dull options, but it still brings me quite some flashbacks from the Need For Speed World days when kids thought those liveries (alongside rims and neon lights in mismatching colors) were the coolest thing ever. If anything, at least I'd rather see all the fashion people showing these off instead of the fugly golden phones which are thankfully apparently dying by now.

/rant

Edited by Shaytan
Replaced image that wasn't showing properly.

Shaytan

Who would've guessed, seems like Android Go sucks.

While the initial concept seemed appealing, as a simplified version of Android without all the unnecessary crap that found its way into it overtime, I have to say this doesn't surprise me at all. I was really into trying the lite/go apps as they became trendy among large devs and so far all but one were terrible. FB Lite? Slow to load, it was inferior to the mobile web page (which was what I've stuck to ever since) in every way, except the integrated Messenger tab - speaking of which, Messenger Lite wasn't better either, being so quirky and even after a year for some odd reason, I'd always have to hope any pics I tried to send would actually be sent, making it useless. Google's own Go apps were some of the worst, leaving much to be desired, namely YouTube Go I've tested multiple times, including when it first released in India only, and it's in short an app for those who never use YouTube. The only good Lite app I've tried so far was Skype Lite, which served its purpose with few compromises, yet I have to point out I rarely use Skype and so it may simply be good enough for my casual usage and I just don't notice the lacking aspects.

In terms of hardware, why would I want to experience the kind of frustration that brings me flashbacks from my first smartphone, back in 2014 (poor people's life ain't easy), and that I recently sold for 20 bucks? Even another entry-level smartphone from that time I've been using lately solely as a beater phone and to map my cycling courses to Strava annoys me with the lag, so why would I want to pay upwards 100 bucks (more here given the stupid piracy taxes) for that same experience in 2018, where for 50 more bucks I bought a fast enough, durable and up-to-date proper Android phone?

Once again, I think it was a great concept, but much like the article states, given Google couldn't really answer who'd that appeal to, neither did phone manufacturers, the result being some rather senseless devices. I think Android Go served pretty much as both another differentiating factor between their low-end and mid-range devices, as well as a convenient reason not to quit selling obsolete devices, even for that price point, under the excuse it's an Android Go phone - whatever that is.

Jimmy
On 6/29/2018 at 3:47 PM, Dealux said:

I have a feeling OnePlus might take over a large part of the Android market in the future.

They might, if they actually manufactured budget and mid-range devices. In most developing markets, especially Asia; budget and mid-range phones account for a huge percentage of the Android Mobiles. That's why brands like Samsung, Motorola and Xiaomi are hitting the sweet spot by offering VFM devices in those markets.