Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (93,040 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Democrab

Google Android

Shaytan

I think the most important Android 8 changes occur under the hood. Over the last months I've read many articles about the two big problems of Android - security and inconsistencies in terms of updates since that's up to each brand and carrier to release. Apparently Google is trying to make some changes in both fields.

Most of the UI changes are recreations of what you could get with 3rd party launchers for ages if you really wanted so. Perhaps the most relevant UI change imo are the adaptive icons that would allow a more consistent looks to the app drawer that until now you could only get with icon packs.

Flachbau

Besides picture-in-picture, new emojis, and some well needed under the hood optimization, I don't believe there's actually much to get hyped about. It's official though, so we've got Oreo on the way and it's gonna be rolled out soon for Pixel and some Nexus devices. Some system images are already live.

Now taking bets for Android "P" :p

Edited by Android

Shaytan

Oh man, my hopes didn't happened! Well, what about...

... Android P U S S Y

Crokey

tumblr_m25gwc89ae1qbga48o2_r2_250.gif

Looking at the release notes, there doesn't seem to be anything spectacular, and hasn't really moved on that much over the last couple of versions. I'd hasten to use the phrase "mailing it in", but it's not far off it. But I guess it's where the technology is right now, and it's sort of plateauing, without taking it too far, and ending up in a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 situation where stuff's to powerful for the hardware, and everything blows up.

Voodoo

It's pretty zippy. I like the condensed menus, too.

ci8f4tt.png

I suppose you could call this "Vanilla Oreo".

VROmead

Would it be possible to make the theme black? I don't like that blinding white because my eyes say so, and it probably drains the battery faster.

Jimmy

Would it be possible to make the theme black? I don't like that blinding white because my eyes say so, and it probably drains the battery faster.

I don't think that's possible with Stock Android. Pretty sure that customized UI will offer tons of options with Oreo when major custom roms use it. The Stock UI gets white with each major update I believe. It's blinding at times, which is why I use Bluelight Filter from Google Play. Helps to reduce some strain at times when the light is too much.

Voodoo

You would need to theme your apps with Substratum. I'm no fan of the stock white either, but since this is a new release the options are limited. So far, I'm rooted and have TWRP installed but most of the dark themes available for Android 8.0 are pretty janky and won't apply properly.

I did get Sai's running, though. It's pretty sparse but does include most of the main apps like dialer, settings, etc. Also, you supposedly don't need root but I CBA to revert to test that.

HPhsSc1.png

ixbz3WG.png

Andreaz1

There are some rumors that my phone will get Android 8 so woop. Hope it's true and that it doesn't take too long.

Edited by Andreaz1

Jimmy

You would need to theme your apps with Substratum. I'm no fan of the stock white either, but since this is a new release the options are limited. So far, I'm rooted and have TWRP installed but most of the dark themes available for Android 8.0 are pretty janky and won't apply properly.

I did get Sai's running, though. It's pretty sparse but does include most of the main apps like dialer, settings, etc. Also, you supposedly don't need root but I CBA to revert to test that.

That theme is way too dark and doesn't have a proper eye-candy feeling when compared to Material Dark or Holo Dark themes. I guess we'll see more of the substratum themes soon. I also hope that the Oreo version of CM will feature a proper theme engine.

There are some rumors that my phone will get Android 8 so woop. Hope it's true and that it doesn't take too long.

What device do you have? Edited by Kaniel Outis

BlackScout

Is it worth for someone not so dumb with Android ROM flashing and system sh*t manipulation to void the warranty of my recently bought Moto G5 Plus? (potter)

I mean, I love the job Motorola did on the Stock ROM, it's clean, fast and works well. The itch though...

G5+'s camera isn't as great as I expected, pictures shot with it get kinda dark and dull even though it has Manual Mode (ISO, Exposure)... That would allow me to have A7.1.2 or Oreo *soon* and enable Camera HAL2, RAW Capture possibly and some other cool stuff...

The problem is that I'm afraid of having my device defective after the bootloader unlock (from bad luck :p not from any mistake of mine) and somewhat afraid of it being not so worth the time, risk and warranty void.

Edited by BlackScout

Jimmy

Is it worth for someone not so dumb with Android ROM flashing and system sh*t manipulation to void the warranty of my recently bought Moto G5 Plus? (potter)

I mean, I love the job Motorola did on the Stock ROM, it's clean, fast and works well. The itch though...

G5+'s camera isn't as great as I expected, pictures shot with it get kinda dark and dull even though it has Manual Mode (ISO, Exposure)... That would allow me to have A7.1.2 or Oreo *soon* and enable Camera HAL2, RAW Capture possibly and some other cool stuff...

The problem is that I'm afraid of having my device defective after the bootloader unlock (from bad luck :p not from any mistake of mine) and somewhat afraid of it being not so worth the time, risk and warranty void.

I would suggest against Bootloader unlock if you don't know your way around Flashing and ROMs. I unlock and root my Moto devices only after their warranty has been void. Moto G5 is really good with stock ROM. I use one myself. The Camera isn't good like G5+ with it's laser autofocus but the G5 has a really nice Camera compared to G4 and even some old X devices. I use the manual controls myself for best results.

Andreaz1

What device do you have?

Sony Xperia X.

Jimmy

What device do you have?

Sony Xperia X.

X devices are premium Sony devices and like Z series, they're supposed to get atleast 2 major OS updates.

EDIT: Xperia X will get Oreo update as well.

Edited by Kaniel Outis

deadx23

I am so dumb ,

I made a post a few months back that my Nexus 6's female power connection failed and couldn't get to charge it so I bought the wireless charger.today I was just thinking (this happened to a old iPhone 6 I had) and found out it was actually lint inside at the very bottom a collection of lint that blocked the charger from entering all the way to charge I just cleaned it out and it charged just fine ugh lol. I don't use it anymore cause my pixel XL and I did receive my Oreo update this past week.

Edited by deadx23

Straypuft

Just ordered a Galaxy S7 a few hours ago because I got an offer for $1+tax down payment, waiting for the approval email. hopefully it goes through and I can replace my S3 :3

Jimmy

Motorola announced the list of devices that'll be getting Nougat. Sadly, the G4 series isn't there on the list. Such a shame that the a device which is not even 18 months old won't get the next major update.

GTA3Rockstar

Problem here

I have an Asus Transformer pad TF701t - Android 4.4.

It was dying, under 10% so I plugged it in. The orange indicator light was on, letting me know it was charging. I came back to check something 10 minutes later or whatever, it was around 18%. Blah blah, did something, came back again like an hour or so later and noticed it only got to 23% and was like wtf. Fiddled with it and plugged it back in, no charging indicator light came on. I tried plugging it into another outlet, another usb wall plug and my computer, nothing but the tablet recognized the usb was plugged in because the screen would wake up if I unplugged or plugged it back in.

So, now I'm at a point where it's dead, plugged into the charger with no charging indicator light. When I try to turn it on, all it shows is an almost empty battery with a red bar, like so.

Always used the same usb wall plug, just not the same wire that came with it. The battery seemed fine, I would probably get around 5hrs out of a full charge if I was playing a game/videos or something. I don't see how it would start charging like normal and then just stop.

Only thing that's changed is I recently installed a pair of Homeplugs, I highly doubt that would do anything but that's only thing I changed.

I'll keep it charging, even if there's no indicator.

Nick1020

I miss my Note 4. Loved the crispness of the screen, scribbling doodles, and having more control. Don't miss the bugs, lag and horrible battery life it had.

hei3enberg

Problem here

I have an Asus Transformer pad TF701t - Android 4.4.

It was dying, under 10% so I plugged it in. The orange indicator light was on, letting me know it was charging. I came back to check something 10 minutes later or whatever, it was around 18%. Blah blah, did something, came back again like an hour or so later and noticed it only got to 23% and was like wtf. Fiddled with it and plugged it back in, no charging indicator light came on. I tried plugging it into another outlet, another usb wall plug and my computer, nothing but the tablet recognized the usb was plugged in because the screen would wake up if I unplugged or plugged it back in.

So, now I'm at a point where it's dead, plugged into the charger with no charging indicator light. When I try to turn it on, all it shows is an almost empty battery with a red bar, like so.

Always used the same usb wall plug, just not the same wire that came with it. The battery seemed fine, I would probably get around 5hrs out of a full charge if I was playing a game/videos or something. I don't see how it would start charging like normal and then just stop.

Only thing that's changed is I recently installed a pair of Homeplugs, I highly doubt that would do anything but that's only thing I changed.

I'll keep it charging, even if there's no indicator.

There are several reasons for this kind of behavior, to simplify our task here I will combine these possible explanations with a steps to eliminate them as a major contributing factors from easiest to most challenging:

1. Bad cable so, try another. They die over time, no big deal. Dirty charging port, so inspect it and carefully clean it if it looks dirty, start with a compressed air and then GENTLY use toothpick if it's really dirty. That's risky and requires a steady hand, so proceed on your own risk. Don't get any liquids in the mix if your battery is not disconnected and don't use steel tools while cleaning;
  2. Bad battery or bad charging controller. Worst case scenario, first was damaged by the second. We're definitely talking about service center visit here especially if the device is under warranty.

From your description it's hard to conclude what exactly are you dealing with, but pay attention that some outlets are incapable of charging devices like yours. From the specs of it, it looks like your tablet won't be charging over PC USB port, so that should not trigger any alarms. I ignored part about bad charger above but you probably eliminated it first, don't you?

I miss my Note 4. Loved the crispness of the screen, scribbling doodles, and having more control. Don't miss the bugs, lag and horrible battery life it had.

It's funny how your message is related to previous in my case. My Note 4 died because of bad charging port and was retired from use. I'm using Xiaomi Mi Max 2 as my primary phone and it's absolutely fantastic: 4 days battery life and 40% remaining with 6,5 hours of screen, constant wifi and 3 hours of talk time.

GTA3Rockstar

Definitely isn't the usb charge kit, since I used another cable on another device.

I only had one cable for the Transformer, since it's a 36pin, but the tablet would still recognize there was one plugged in, since the screen would wake up when I either plug it in or unplug it.

So, I just ordered a new battery.

Jimmy

Motorola seems to have brought back another X series device, the Moto X4. It's US exclusive for now and part of the Android One programme.

Edited by Kaniel Outis

Straypuft

Im using Airdroid to transfer files to and from my phone, Would it be worth it to upgrade to the pro version so I could send folders over to my phone? or is there a free alternative that lets you do this?

Finn 7 five 11

^ Can't help you there but on the topic of backups.

What the f*ck is going on with Samsung's file management? Seriously! I have been using Samsung since the galaxy SII and every time I get a new phone, all of the date and time information from photo's I have taken vanishes. So now when I scroll through pictures I sadly have no idea when they were taken. Even more annoying is that I can't chronologically scroll down and look for things, it is an absolute shambles.

Now today I decided to look at why my laptop HDD is filling up so much. Well turns out that when I am backing up, because Samsung can't seem to recall which photos I have and haven't backed up, I have 280GB of backed up files on laptop, the majority are duplicates. Now I have two problems.

1. I need to go through my PC and find out where the duplicates are, what I am going to delete, what I am going to keep. I have currently about 4000 pictures stored on my phone alone, and many thousands more I have moved to my laptop, how the f*ck am I supposed to go through and keep track of what I want and don't want.
2. all my photos are messed up, and there is no way I want to organize them again, I spent an entire week on my phone near christmas sorting photos in folders on my phone like "Travel" "Friends" "Pets" "Memes" "Funny" etc, there is no way I wanna do it again.
3. I don't have an intern to sort everything out.

Is there any magical apps that can perhaps help with organizing these things? Something that can crawl my PC and figure out where there are duplicate photos being stored in multiple locations, etc. I would pay good money for that.
And something to help with photo date organisation, I can remember a lot from memory so It would be nice to roughly organise when things happened.

EDIT: An update. I found an app called Auslogics duplicate file finder, I have faith in Australian IT so I am giving it a whirl. Although it is going to take some 50 minutes to crawl the lot of it. There is several hundred GB of duplicates.
Still need to fix the photo date scenario though.

Edited by Finn 7 five 11

Not A Nice Person

I have the same issue, I have 6000 photos on my phone and 1500~ of those are in one folder mismatched.

Not A Nice Person

This commercial kinda is convincing me to get the V30, I've seen good reviews but the camera looks sick. Is it curved, and is the American version the same?

Edited by Nice Person

Shaundi.

tumbleweed

After nearly 3 years my Xperia Z3 is finally giving up. On occasions there's random shut downs and constant on/off charging which made my battery go down from 67% to the charge warning at 15% in less than 21 minutes without use and no, cables aren't the problem here.

I'm really gonna miss this phone, it's pretty sturdy for a slim, glassy phone. The phone before my Xperia barely lasted 6 months, gotta hand it to Sony for making tough as f*ck but also beautiful phones. My next phone will be another Sony. I'm weighing up between the XZs or the XA2, both having decent big batteries.

AiraCobra

I have had my Galaxy Note 8 for 6 months now and to be honest I think I am going to go back to the iPhone this year when the new one comes out.

I don't know why, But I just don't seem to like Android as much as I like Apple maybe because I've had an iPhone since the 4 and so used to it? I don't know but I just don't seem to like the galaxy as much

Flachbau
Posted (edited)

Most people that switch to Android from iOS don't like it because it's not even consistent. You have two main players, Google and Samsung, who both have very different devices and also different user interfaces, which then leads to drastically different experiences for the end user. On one hand, Google continues to carve it's own path and cut corners because they're terrible at making their mind up when it comes to their own UI and apps.. and then you have Samsung that makes their own variant of already available stock Android apps on top of their own software to bloat up their own devices. There's no consistency between the two giants other than the fact that they run on Android, but even then it's not very similar due to the already visible differences. I'm likely switching over to iOS because of the fact that it's not fluent or consistent and after a while it becomes frustrating.

They can continue on their own paths but in the end it fractures the Android ecosystem entirely and makes it harder for other manufacturers. iOS has always been superior in regards to ecosystem & consistency.

Edited by Flachbau

Shaytan
Posted (edited)

So, my now nearly 2 year-old Samsung J3 2016 is becoming quite a pain in the ass. Besides the fact Samsung dropped "support" (read the cumulative security update they'd release every 3 months or so, funny enough usually outdated by 3 months as well) earlier this year and that it's still stuck on the outdated version 5.1.1 of Android, I'm really not confident in flashing a custom ROM considering there are no official builds for it, rather those small team conversions each with its fair share of issues; the security concerns become quite unsettling.

Not only that, the lack of storage becomes more of an issue as apps increase in size, again because I assumed the 8Gbs of storage would be a problem given the fact it seemed obvious Samsung would update the OS to at least 6, which allows to use SD cards as part of the internal storage instead of, you know, releasing a new replacement model the following year...

Finally, I've noticed some performance decreases lately. The phone tends to lag much more often, something a reboot would usually fix but not now, and sometimes simply browsing the Web makes it quite hot (seemingly normal if it wasn't for the fact that never happened on this phone, not even under heavy load). Not only that, multi-tasking has become increasingly more difficult, namely browsing the Web while listening to music which tends to crash Spotify no matter what (notice I'm an informed user and I keep the enough free storage as well as the resource usage under control).

Long story short, I may eventually look for a new model. The phone is in incredibly good condition and the only usage mark it has is the chipped paint in the USB port which happens inevitably with the use as it gets plugged in and out, so I could make easily make 80-100 euros out of it given it's still sold around here, but I'd most likely give it to my father instead.

Thing is I'm done with budget phones so I'd be looking at a middle range, ≈300 device. Samsung is out of question, too, I'm sick of their update policies and crapware (again, being an informed user I'm not falling for the fallacy of judging a company by their budget phones, but rather the overall impression no matter the price range), so are Chinese devices out of question. My preferred path would be Nokia since they offer mostly stock Android with regular updates and good build quality, but that would depend of eventual promos I might find.

I don't really have much money to spare and I'd rather spend it elsewhere, but depending of the offers it might be a worthy consideration, plus for the first time I'm not in an urge to buy a new device for the previous one being beyond unusable or been stolen like the previous two purchases.

Edited by Shaytan