3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Democrab

Google Android

Kevin...

I think I am more enamored with it because my phone originally could not go to a landscaped view at the home screen. Also, it originally only had 3 screens. This Home++ gives me up to 11 or something like that. I currently use 5. I hate having my main screen cluttered with icons and I hate having all my icons all mixed together. Right now I have all my internet apps on one page, my media apps on another, games on another, and phone tools and file browsing software on another. Nice and organized.

Finn 7 five 11

I love android but i f*cking hate HTC's, they are a pile of sh*t. (yeah i know i am a troll)

Emotion98.3
I love android but i f*cking hate HTC's, they are a pile of sh*t. (yeah i know i am a troll)

Hate HTC?

I don't even think those two words should be in the same sentence. wow.gif

Pico

Compared to the Motorola Droid line of phones, HTC's quality doesn't seem to match, in my opinion. Motorola uses some nice hard plastics and metal with nice rubberized finishes for a great look and nice grip that doesn't pick up finger prints. HTC phones always seem to be made of a cheap shiny plastic that feels thin. The phones always tend to feel hollow and flimsy. I've had hands on with the Droid, Droid 2, Droid Pro, Droid X (of course), HTC G1, G2, EVO, myTouch, Incredible. Just to name a few. So I'm not just basing this on uninformed opinion. Not saying HTC are great quality phones and that they are in fact poorly made and flimsy, they just feel and appear that way. Also, not a fan of their color schemes, although Moto kind of f*cked up with the ugly blue-ish and chrome mix on the Droid 2. The white version actually does look better.

If HTC does one thing right, it's keyboards. The G1 had the best keyboard I've ever used on a phone. Excellent spacing, great feedback, nice feel to the keys. I was typing roughly 50wpm on it. I'm down to 35-40wpm on my Droid X, and it can be a bitch to properly punctuate on it, so I rarely do, lol. I hear people find HTCs Android software keyboard to be one of the best out there as well, so they seem to know the magic behind a keyboard.

Despite the ugly look some of their phones may have, and the cheap feel to them, I've got a big feeling my next phone with be an HTC. But that could change come tomorrow. You can bet if/when the best Android phone on Verizon is announced it'll be in my pocket the day after it launches. I just hope it's not LG, because honestly, I'd be a bit worried about it's quality.

Pico

Double post? Sue me. It's worth it.

CES announcements are rolling out.

Motorola:

XOOM (tablet)

Verizon 4G, Android 3.0 (!), Tegra 2 (dual core processor with hardware Flash support!), 10.1" screen, no off-screen navigation buttons thanks to Android 3.0 and it's nice interface. Click the first link below to see the accessories, which include a dock and a wireless keyboard!

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Co...-US-EN.overview

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/01/05/motor...able-to-4g-lte/

Droid BIONIC

Verizon 4G, Tegra 2, 1GB RAM, 4.3" screen, front facing "webcam" (probably means 1.3MP), rear facing 8MP camera. It should be AWESOME. Launch is set to beginning of Q2 this year. Too far away!

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/01/05/droid...-next-flagship/

http://www.motorola.com/consumers/US-EN/DR...00081bbb00aRCRD

Atrix

AT&T 4G (lol, does that even make sense?), 4.2" screen, Tegra 2, 1GB RAM, front and rear cameras. Most interesting thing about it is the "webtop" device for it, it's basically a laptop/netbook that you dock your phone into and it displays on the webstop screen basically turning your phone into a laptop when it's plugged in! The phone also appears to be compatible with the wireless keyboard along with the XOOM.

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Co...ola-ATRIX-US-EN

Android 3.0, Honeycomb video!

http://www.androidcentral.com/android-30-h...then-taken-down

LG Optimus 2X

This one should be a beast! And apparently, it's the FIRST phone to have the Nvidia Tegra 2 chip. What's that mean? Well it sure as sh*t better come out quickly so other manufacturers can get out their Tegra 2 phones! Full specs at link below.

http://www.androidcentral.com/nvidia-and-l...egra-superphone

Asus tablets

3 in total, special docks for each

http://www.androidcentral.com/asus-unveils...android-tablets

Edited by Pico

CannonRage

Only HTC devices I have had my hands on are Desire, Desire HD and Legend. And have to say I think the build quality on all three is pretty great, especially on the HD and the Legend since 90% of the shell is one solid piece of aliminium.

jelly

Yep, I love the anodized aluminium on HTCs nowadays. I haven't seen any of the older plastic HTCs so I can't pass judgement on them, but the current crop (european spec Hero, Desire, upwards) look and feel much more 'high end' than my plastic Motorola or the plastic SEs.

Pico

I have yet to get my hands on a Desire or Nexus One which have the aluminum body. That may be nice.

But f*ck. The Thunderbolt rumored specs were sh*t. It's got a 1Ghz processor, an 8MP rear camera, 1.3MP front camera, Android 2.2.1... Basically just an EVO. confused.gif

It does run on VZW 4G LTE, which is a plus. According to HTC it will be VZW's first 4G phone... but everything else is saying that the Motorola Droid BIONIC will be the first? Doesn't make sense. With other personal knowledge and what HTC said, and the early Q2 (probably in April) release date Motorola put on the Bionic, I'm going to say the HTC Thunderbolt will be out first. I won't waste my money on it, not with the Bionic running a Tegra 2 coming out two months later. I don't see the Thunderbolt being enough of an improvement over my Droid X.

Anyway, not a whole lot of exciting news today, pretty disappointed. The only play-by-play of the VZW keynote I could find was through a Mac website, so they only focused on "OMG I THINK THEY'RE GOING TO SAY IT NOW. Oh wait, they're talking about Android or something." So I didn't get much news until later. Probably going to spend the next hour or two running through sites trying to get all the news, lol.

edit: Oh, cock. I just watched the video where the HTC guy announced the Thunderbolt and it went something like "HTC's first 4G LTE phone, da Tunda bor." f*ck. So he didn't say it was the first 4G phone on VZW as I had read somewhere. I care for two reason: 1, that means the first 4G phone is likely to be the Bionic as announced, meaning no 4G phones in the first quarter and 2, I owe a guy 2 VZW bucks (money you can only spend at work) because I bet him the Thunderbolt would be the first 4G phone we get (again, based on personal knowledge and everything that's been going on).

Edited by Pico

Tommy-Vercetti19

I love my Legend's Aluminum Unibody. It's very sleek and very durable. But when my hands are soft it's very prone to slipping out of my hand.

JostVice

hey guys, do you recommend any GPS app that can work without internet? I do not own a internet plan and I would like to get an app with europe on it (spain, france, etc tounge.gif )

lordjubblydave

Try this it is a mod for Google maps where you can download and cache maps for times without data connection.

I have personally never tried it, but i have heard good things.

Tornado Rex

To add to the phone quality jazz everyone is on about, I just read a story about an HTC phone that stopped a bullet. Dude had it in his pocket and a stray bullet came at him, hit the phone and stopped. Bad ass IMO.

Also, Pico, since you work for VZW, what's up with the whole New Every Two going away or w/e. We still get promotional pricing right? Just not the extra $50 or whatever it was.

Tommy-Vercetti19

Having a bit of a problem here guys, i mad a wallpaper for my Legend but when i stick it on my phone it wont show up in my gallery. Any help guys? I'm baffled.

Tornado Rex
Having a bit of a problem here guys, i mad a wallpaper for my Legend but when i stick it on my phone it wont show up in my gallery. Any help guys? I'm baffled.

You've got your phone unplugged and your SD card remounted to the phone correct?

Pico

If you just added it in, sometimes pictures won't show up in the gallery until you restart the phone. Turn it off and back on and see if it shows. Other than that, is it a valid filetype (jpg, gif, png, bmp)?

@Rex, I'm unable to directly comment on that at the moment. All I can say is standard upgrades at subsidized pricing is something necessary to stay competitive with the competition, so you can be quite sure 2 year upgrades won't go away. I can probably expand on that within a week or two.

Now, here's something: http://www.tipb.com/2011/01/07/apple-veriz...ne-york-jan-11/

I'm posting it here because the iPhone is the direct competition for Android.... and, well because it'll be nuts if it happens. You have no idea how many calls I have in a single day where customers state they're holding on to their upgrade for the iPhone.

Other rumors lately have pointed towards us getting it, and one even has sources at the manufacturing plant stating 6-8 million CDMA iPhone 4s have been shipping to be sold in Q1. Yes, the FIRST quarter. f*ck.

I honestly have NO word on this. Not one damn thing. Regular devices from manufacturers that don't have insane corporate management don't let us know until roughly a week before the device is launched. You can bet Apple made it so that only the people that HAVE to know about the iPhone know about it until as late as possible. Again, I have no knowledge if this is happening.

However, all signs are pointing to a launch of a new phone shortly. CES didn't seem to have any specific launch dates announced, but something is telling me we'll be having a new phone out by the end of the month. If it is the iPhone, I hope I get a sh*t load of upgrades! Lol... $6 a pop for smartphone upgrades.

Tornado Rex
@Rex, I'm unable to directly comment on that at the moment. All I can say is standard upgrades at subsidized pricing is something necessary to stay competitive with the competition, so you can be quite sure 2 year upgrades won't go away. I can probably expand on that within a week or two.

Ah fair enough. Just caught a blurb about it on droid-life and I don't really understand the difference between NE2 and promotional pricing so I was kind of confused.

@Verizon iPhone rumor: When is Apple's little keynote thingie. I would think Jobs would want to announce the iPhone coming to other networks as it's a pretty big thing.

Kevin...
@Verizon iPhone rumor: When is Apple's little keynote thingie. I would think Jobs would want to announce the iPhone coming to other networks as it's a pretty big thing.

It was bound to come out sooner or later. Back when apple signed with ATT, it was stated that the iPhone was being sold exclusively as an ATT device until 2011. Seeing as its 2011 now, its gonna happen. The iPhone is a runaway hit and the next logical step is expanding its market exposure.

Pico

From what I could see, they've got no keynote at CES, which I believe ends today. Apple wants their own spotlight, so they would likely have an announcement outside of a major event like CES.

Tommy-Vercetti19

Thanks guys, i restarted it a couple of times but it only showed up this morning. smile.gif

David.

Here's a screen after applying Darky's ROM.

user posted image

I must say I LOVE my phone,moving to android was definitely worth it. Can't believe I kept with iOS for a whole year.

Ronnyboy

Just got my new Samsung Intercept, and its fast as sh*t! Anyone reccomend some needed apps?

Pico

Welcome to the Android world, Ronnyboy icon14.gif

As for recommended apps... hard to say. Especially since I have anywhere from 75-150 on my phone at any given time. I use z4root, to root it, and some other Droid X specific apps to modify it a bit. After rooted I use Titanium Backup to freeze apps I don't want to run (primarily bloat-ware)...

Rockplayer is good for playing videos (.avi files play like butter)

Catch is good for notes and syncs with an online account, the official Facebook app is finally getting better

Systempanel is my favorite task manager

The Weather Channel is a must

Dropbox is great for transfering files easily and having them on the go

Paypal app is nice as I use my paypal account often

Nesoid, Gensoid, Gameboid and Snesoid for awesome gaming

Movies for showtimes

IMDb for movie info

Winamp is my current favorite music player

Barcode scanner for scanning QR codes for other apps, primarily

Chrome to phone, for sending links from my browser to my phone

Dictionary app for when I can't figure out what a word is...

Emulator roms for getting games for Gameboid/Snesoid/Gensoid

Phonalyzr is cool for checking on call and texting statistics

Sketchbook Mobile by Autodesk is the BEST drawing app I've ever had

Where's My Droid, in case (heaven forbid) I lose my phone

Just a good handful of what I would recommend. Funny enough, this thread was originally about app suggestions then was hijacked to an Android general chat thread. The only matching apps I suggest in my first post here (also the first REPLY in this thread. Oh yeah, I rock.) is the Weather Channel app and that (from what I can remember) hasn't changed since, aside from widgets being added (which are ugly, imo). Oh, and Nesoid. I think that was actually the ONLY emulator out at the time... oh how things have changed.

I have Bluetooth File Transfer on my X, not sure if it comes on the Droid X, but I don't recall it ever being off of it through out all the wipes and installs I've done, so Bluex is not needed (and it's outdated, iirc). CoPilot is only good if you've got no data connection, Google Navigator does the job much better now. Better cut is useless now. I use Shootme instead of Screenshot. Txtract pro is also installed, but I wouldn't say needed by most people (extracts texts to a file). Oh, and PhoneMyPC is everything I wanted Gmote to be.

----------------------------------------------------------

Back to the iPhone topic, as most of you probably know, it's announced already. I honestly didn't know until I walked into work 30 minutes after they announced it. They kept any rumor just a rumor for a long, long while. You've got to hand it to VZW and Apple for that. Even with access to all/most systems I couldn't find 1 definite item pointing that we were going to get it. But there were about a dozen things that pointed that it was coming, and soon.

Now when I ask if people want to upgrade it's not "well I was thinking about a Droid," instead it's "I'm waiting to pre-order the iPhone."

Losers.

Edited by Pico

geomy

My wife just picked up a Samsung Captivate for me as a belated Christmas/Birthday gift. A bit of a stretch from my current RAZR. It was time for an upgrade, and since my wife likes her iPhone so much, naturally I went with Droid. I've played a little with a friends EPIC 4G, but was pretty overwhelmed. Of course, his is a different version on a different carrier (and being an IT guy, will probably use his to its fullest), but is there any good 'Droid for Dummies' info I need to know?

Ronnyboy

Wow, thanks for the suggestions Pico! Just rooted and rom'd it, so I'll go about putting apps2sd and getting some of those.

Pico

I can't wait till all phones come out with enough built in memory just for apps to make apps2sd pointless, just to help everyone out. I went through so much sh*t to get it working on my G1, I hated it, lol. Oh, and glad I could help icon14.gif

@geomy, check this out: http://www.androidcentral.com/get-android-...-your-new-phone

Welcome to the world of Android! You'll find out just how useful it can be over time, and likely eventually wanting even more features. The Captivate is an awesome phone, being from the Galaxy S line. Sadly, wrong carrier! tounge.gif

Everyone needs to come to VZW so my yearly bonus is bigger. DO IT NOW.

Ronnyboy
I can't wait till all phones come out with enough built in memory just for apps to make apps2sd pointless, just to help everyone out. I went through so much sh*t to get it working on my G1, I hated it, lol. Oh, and glad I could help icon14.gif

Since you have done it, what do I do after I reformat back to the FAT32, put everything I backed up right back onto the FAT32 partition?

Pico

Yep, that'll work just fine.

jelly

user posted imageuser posted image

icon14.gif

2.2 has arrived for Defy now as well, but since they are all released by no-namers and have a laundry list of 'doesn't work'-s, I'll wait it out.

Piperka

How can you check if your phone is rooted?

Apparently if you type "su" in Terminal Emulator, and it replies as #, then you're rooted. But when I do it, it says:

bionic/linker/linker.c:1584 ERROR: 31910 could not load 'libbinder.so'

bionic/linker/linker.c:1641 ERROR: failed to link su

bionic/linker/linker.c:1741 ERROR: CANNOT LINK EXECUTABLE 'su'

$

Edited by Piperka

lordjubblydave

I just got one of these I installed a custom rom on it to sort out the Market and lose the proprietary junk.

Man this device flies. Ipad? PAH suck My 10" biggrin.gif