3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

PS2 game freezes

texas608

I was almost done with game and one afternoon I turned on my PS2 and everything seemed fine. The game went up to the part where it says "load succesful" and then it just went black. I have been using cheatcodes and I think that it may have contributed to this happening but it had worked before i loaded a game where I cheated.

PLease help me anything will be appreciated

Do any other save slot games work??

If you haven't utilized any, start a new game and save it to any other slot-- turn your game off and and on and see if that one loads ok... if it does, try loading your original save manually-- if it won't load, it is likely corrupted. Some cheats can cause conflicts-- prior cheating sessions may contribute to this-- I read the "skin" cheats are bad for doing this a long time ago.

If the 2nd save slot doesn't work your card or game disk may be messed up... check the disk for scratches/fingerprints etc...

I wish you luck...

Hey thanks, I tried loading a new game and it worked perfectly, I guess i wont use cheats from now so that i does happen again. I have to start over though,

• 1 month later...

There's no need to keep pointing out suggestions - the save game was corrupted due to cheats, most likely those that affect ped behaviour, quite intrusive, and the game seems to be working now.

If you still want to have some fun with cheats in the future, do so, but do not save. They lower your criminal rating and some can even corrupt your save, as you've experienced.

Heihachi_73

I haven't heard of in-game cheats corrupting saves at all (making them totally useless), the only thing the 'peds riot' and 'peds with weapons' cheats do is save how pedestrians react around Tommy and other NPCs, and of course gives everyone a random weapon with the latter. The only thing I have against the PS2 version is the fact you can't delete old saves (not counting saving a new game over one), unless you delete the entire Vice City save data from inside the PS2's BIOS. The only glitch I have heard of happens occasionally when you save at the Cherry Poppers factory.

The only cheats which lower your criminal rating is vehicle spawn cheats (which defeat the purpose of Grand Theft Auto as a crime, even if it's impossible to get certain vehicles like the Hotring Racer early in the game).

I haven't heard of in-game cheats corrupting saves at all (making them totally useless), the only thing the 'peds riot' and 'peds with weapons' cheats do is save how pedestrians react around Tommy and other NPCs, and of course gives everyone a random weapon with the latter. The only thing I have against the PS2 version is the fact you can't delete old saves (not counting saving a new game over one), unless you delete the entire Vice City save data from inside the PS2's BIOS. The only glitch I have heard of happens occasionally when you save at the Cherry Poppers factory.

The only cheats which lower your criminal rating is vehicle spawn cheats (which defeat the purpose of Grand Theft Auto as a crime, even if it's impossible to get certain vehicles like the Hotring Racer early in the game).

Excellent complement to my short post, but I do believe I've corrupted a save once by cheating, if I recall correctly.

I've read of some cheats corrupting the save-- skins or certain vehicle cheats (big tires) but never tried to verify...

If you want to save after using cheats just don't intermingle gameplay saves with cheat saves----

the save could have got corrupted without the use of cheats too-- a slight power flicker while the game saves could have done it

I ALWAYS utilize my first 3 slots for gameplay saves and alternate my most recent save among the 3 slots so if one does get corrupt, I don't lose alot of game progress--

I've only had one save get corrupt (in GTA IV)-- rotating slots saved me ALOT of redoing missions...